HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBA Negotiations II: This is the song that never ends...

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
The lockout. The owners already bended. Why not wait them out to see if they will bend again?
Huh? A starting point, in the latest offer, of an immediate 12%+ rollback plus the other concessions?

The owners can't really expect the players to accept all the pain for their incompetence, but they are trying...

Old
10-24-2012, 10:29 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
As far as I know, the owners have yet to present a proposal that grants a single concession from the existing system on any matter of significance. Is that correct?
The players were earning beyond what the economics of the situation dictated. Why should the owners concede anything? The players need to come down-- not the owners.

It reminds me of a situation wherein someone was costing me personally more money due to their actions. I asked them to cease said actions and they came back with: "Oh yeah? What are you going to give me instead?"

A big fat nothing.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
The players were earning beyond what the economics of the situation dictated. Why should the owners concede anything? The players need to come down-- not the owners.

It reminds me of a situation wherein someone was costing me personally more money due to their actions. I asked them to cease said actions and they came back with: "Oh yeah? What are you going to give me instead?"

A big fat nothing.
It reminds me of a spoiled-rich college kid complaining to me that because of the "state of the economy" their parents are cutting their "allowance money."

Old
10-24-2012, 10:38 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

Owners or the NHLPA cave and give in tomorrow

Old
10-24-2012, 10:41 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:

A big fat nothing.
what should the players "come down to" only NFL players earn less then NHL players.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
healthyscratch

Never seen this before, but this is an anonymous, supposedly verified, NHL exec having a Q&A on ****** about the lockout and miscellaneous stuff...

http://www.***********/r/IAmA/comment...out/?limit=500

Old
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

A big fat nothing.
I think you missed the point--and that's a fairly simplistic way of putting it, no? The owners are spending beyond what the economics of the situation dictated. The economics of the situation are shaped by the NHL's decision to continue a fool's errand in some losing markets, etc.

All I was saying is, for all the NHL's posturing, the owners have yet to make a single concession from the current system on ANYTHING (not just the revenues)--yet it keeps presenting itself as the pliable party. Of course the revenue needs to be redistributed--everyone knows that, and the players latest proposal reflected that as well.

But on top of those splits, the NHL is seeking pretty tough restrictions on contract terms, less flexibility in free agency, etc. At minimum, it needs to punt on those issues, allow the players to keep the current terms there.

Anyway, my question still stands: has the NHL made a single concession from the existing system in exchange for the dramatic cutbacks and restrictions its asking the players to take?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
I think you missed the point--and that's a fairly simplistic way of putting it, no? The owners are spending beyond what the economics of the situation dictated. The economics of the situation are shaped by the NHL's decision to continue a fool's errand in some losing markets, etc.

All I was saying is, for all the NHL's posturing, the owners have yet to make a single concession from the current system on ANYTHING (not just the revenues)--yet it keeps presenting itself as the pliable party. Of course the revenue needs to be redistributed--everyone knows that, and the players latest proposal reflected that as well.

But on top of those splits, the NHL is seeking pretty tough restrictions on contract terms, less flexibility in free agency, etc. At minimum, it needs to punt on those issues, allow the players to keep the current terms there.

Anyway, my question still stands: has the NHL made a single concession from the existing system in exchange for the dramatic cutbacks and restrictions its asking the players to take?
In the NHL's latest proposal I believe they made ELC's 2 years instead of 3?

Old
10-25-2012, 12:01 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:

A big fat nothing.
your right, when greed gets to players heads, they dont want to give nothing away especially for the teams that need the money in order to save their franchises, at least they should have some consideration to do that, i would, i would give half my salary to save the nhl because i know hockey is most important to me rather than abusing it for money because i would rather have work than have nothing at all because when money runs out when you have no work/hockey, you would on the street living in a cardboard box or a shelter trying to beg for food stamps.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
In the NHL's latest proposal I believe they made ELC's 2 years instead of 3?
You might be right--but that's a tricky thing. The player gets a bump a year earlier, but it also makes it more likely the second contract is a lower number.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
You might be right--but that's a tricky thing. The player gets a bump a year earlier, but it also makes it more likely the second contract is a lower number.
And on top of that, the 5 year contract limit and age 28 UFA means that you could never get to UFA after your second contract.

These things are negotiable, but I still haven't understood how the owners can justify signing guys to contracts on the eve of the CBA expiring, then thinking it would be OK to try to dishonour those same contracts the next day.

The players offer to work to a 50/50 split while honouring legally negotiated and signed contracts, while foregoing future increases makes much more sense than the league's demands for the players to compensate them for their own inability to control spending.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:19 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

These things are negotiable, but I still haven't understood how the owners can justify signing guys to contracts on the eve of the CBA expiring, then thinking it would be OK to try to dishonour those same contracts the next day.
I agree with this. It's ridiculous

Old
10-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
your right, when greed gets to players heads, they dont want to give nothing away especially for the teams that need the money in order to save their franchises, at least they should have some consideration to do that, i would, i would give half my salary to save the nhl because i know hockey is most important to me rather than abusing it for money because i would rather have work than have nothing at all because when money runs out when you have no work/hockey, you would on the street living in a cardboard box or a shelter trying to beg for food stamps.
Maybe the owners should rethink about guaranteed contracts like the NFL got rid of or they should find 4 owners who are fed up losing money and get rid of those franchises. If that took place then 100 players would be out of NHL jobs. Both sides are screwed up, the owners want a full proof cba that protects them from themselves when it comes to handing out contracts. The players don't want to lose the gravy train they have no matter how much some teams are losing each year. The big question is how many die-hard fans is the NHL going to lose with this round of stupidity.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Both sides want as much as they can get from the other side.

To play devils' advocate, why should players have to take huge pay cuts because the NHL decided that cities that don't support the game, and some that will likely never support the game, should continue to have an NHL team?

And when they have proven over and over that they're not going to be successful in that market, and the NHL continues to funnel money into that franchise out of sheer stubborness and the inability to admit a mistake, why should players foot that bill? At what point is the NHL going to admit defeat and move the damn thing to a place where it can be financially viable at worst and wildly successful at best?

How can the players be held at fault for piss poor business decisions by the league?

Old
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
McNasty

Both sides are to blame here. The owners are making reasonable offers, but they're making what are essentially take it or leave it offers. They don't want the movement on their original offers to be taken and used against them.

The players IMO, were clearly trying to frustrate the owners with their counter offers. Attempting to change the definition of HRR (according to that ****** AMA, which is a good read for those of you who havent' yet), and 2 single sheet proposals that touched only on HRR.

We've had some movement, but now we're at another impasse where both sides feel they've made a good offer and it's on the other side to come forward with something new.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
The 2-3 teams are probably not very salvageable, but the rest of the league can be brought up by adjusting the player's salaries. I think the NHL is right to focus on that. Helping almost all the teams instead of a few. Moving a team is a bigger project than settling a CBA.

The core of the NHL economic situation revolves around getting to 50/50 so that 7% back in team's pockets brings up the majority of the league, not 2-3 teams.

Quote:
All I was saying is, for all the NHL's posturing, the owners have yet to make a single concession from the current system on ANYTHING (not just the revenues)--yet it keeps presenting itself as the pliable party. Of course the revenue needs to be redistributed--everyone knows that, and the players latest proposal reflected that as well
Sure, but honestly, I think they are holding onto those concessions for the moment. Perhaps a shorter distance towards UFA gets the players to come down to 50% sooner (say in a 54% year 1, 52% year two, and 50% year three and forward). Using those concessions which you want to see from the NHL's side (I agree) is part of future discussion when the proposals get closer.

Quote:
Again, do they have to? Not really. Plus, from a negotiating standpoint, they should hold onto those concessions until a better deal is put forward by the players.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Again, do they have to? Not really. Plus, from a negotiating standpoint, they should hold onto those concessions until a better deal is put forward by the players.
And the players should hold on to their concessions re: revenue splits until a better deal is put forward by the owners...

that's how we got to this stalemate, isn't it?

Old
10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
that's how we got to this stalemate, isn't it?
Sounds good.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
McNasty

The players haven't made any real concessions either, none of their proposals result in them taking less money then the 1.87B they made last year. The NHL proposed a plan that deferred some of the money that would be lost by the immediate cut down to 50%, and the NHLPA didn't want any part of that. They could have come back with 52-50-50-50-50 and left the make whole provision in, or even adjusted it. The third proposal indicates to me that their response was purely designed to go ehhhh if you guys are so desperate for the 82 game season these are our terms.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I may submit my own proposal to both parties.

-Shut the hell up and have a season starting next week
-Gamecenter is fixed, and is half price for two years due to this lockout BS. After that point it may slowly roll up to pre-lockout price over the course of the CBA
-Every fan gets one free ticket next year. You want to thank us for being so great? Free crap is a great way to make up.
-All seats will have a small kegerator installed with a line directly to the occupant's mouth.
-All #1 defensemen and starting goalies in the league may only sign with the Flyers. Their cap hit will not count.
-Goals scored by any other Atlantic Division team only counts as 1/3 of a goal.

Seems reasonable to me.

10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I may submit my own proposal to both parties.

-Shut the hell up and have a season starting next week
-Gamecenter is fixed, and is half price for two years due to this lockout BS. After that point it may slowly roll up to pre-lockout price over the course of the CBA
-Every fan gets one free ticket next year. You want to thank us for being so great? Free crap is a great way to make up.
-All seats will have a small kegerator installed with a line directly to the occupant's mouth.
-All #1 defensemen and starting goalies in the league may only sign with the Flyers. Their cap hit will not count.
-Goals scored by any other Atlantic Division team only counts as 1/3 of a goal.

Seems reasonable to me.
The flyers are automatically spotted a 1-0 lead in shootouts?

Old
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Both sides want as much as they can get from the other side.

To play devils' advocate, why should players have to take huge pay cuts because the NHL decided that cities that don't support the game, and some that will likely never support the game, should continue to have an NHL team?

And when they have proven over and over that they're not going to be successful in that market, and the NHL continues to funnel money into that franchise out of sheer stubborness and the inability to admit a mistake, why should players foot that bill? At what point is the NHL going to admit defeat and move the damn thing to a place where it can be financially viable at worst and wildly successful at best?

How can the players be held at fault for piss poor business decisions by the league?
it just seems you dont care about hockey, you want players have all the money and with hockey you could care less if it's gone as long as the players get everything and companies get nothing.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
The flyers are automatically spotted a 1-0 lead in shootouts?
Realistically we need two. And maybe the ability to use more than one goaltender.

Quote:
it just seems you dont care about hockey, you want players have all the money and with hockey you could care less if it's gone as long as the players get everything and companies get nothing.
What part of her post indicates anything even remotely close to what you just said? I don't know if you've seen CG post much, but I assure you she cares a hell of a lot about hockey.

Here's a hint: People who spend years discussing and debating hockey on a hockey forum probably care a lot about hockey.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Devils advocate - a person who advocates an opposing or unpopular cause for the sake of argument or to expose it to a thorough examination.

Reading is fun

Old
10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
LOL.
pot meet kettle. kettle meet pot.
you might be one most blinded by your pro-owners stance more then anyone on this board. and thats saying something with Krishna's anti-NHLPA stance.
people like you would love it if there was no NHLPA, no free agency and the players had to take a take it or leave it contract offer from the owners. Because hey after all its only the players who are being ****ing greedy in all this right? its the players who are the only ones not willing to negotiate right? give me a ****ing break.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-25-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: cleanup
Closed Thread