HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Sens for sale?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 07:42 PM
  #26
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Not sure where people are coming up with the "move talk" and there was no reference to any sort of expansion. I've been told the team has been much cheaper the last couple years on the ice and in other areas of spending because Melnyk's financial situation is just not what it used to be. If he could sell the team for a good deal, I think he'd do it (of course any businessman would, but I mean in terms if divesting himself of the financial burden).

The Senators aren't a cash cow like Toronto and Montreal, and the long term potential really isn't here for him. Scotiabank Place will need a revamp in about 10 years (it will, the stadium is slowly becoming obsolete for the modern NHL in terms of luring people in and will need an upgrade IMO, as I have been to about 10 other NHL arena's and ours is pretty weak compared to others), which won't be cheap. He lost out on getting an MLS team and stadium to the CFL boys. Where is the longterm potential? I just don't buy the "goodness of his heart" mantra in keeping the team like some of you are suggesting would prevail if he were able to divest himself of the team, rink and capital tickets for a good deal.

The references to him saying he would never never never sell the team are weak. Like he's going to come on the air and say he is looking to dump the team. Melnyk is a raw raw type. He'd get so villified by the media and fans if he ever said something like it. He's been a good owner for sure and always put his money where his mouth was when the team was a competitor. Provided stability to the franchise after years of chaos under Bryden. With a new CBA looming and revenue going to be 50/50, that would probably increase the value of the team going forward. I'll be in the minority, but I think he sells the team. Maybe Nelson Peltz can jump in.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
  #27
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,521
vCash: 265
I don't see much work needed in SBP. I have been to other arenas and ours is top notch. Might need to replace the seats in a few years, switch the light boards that go around between the 100's and 200's. Other than that I am not convinced much needs to be done.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
  #28
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
I'll be in the minority, but I think he sells the team. Maybe Nelson Peltz can jump in.
Oh god... the team might be better off moving if that happens Welcome to your new starting left winger #42(0) Brad Peltz!!!

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:10 PM
  #29
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Oh god... the team might be better off moving if that happens Welcome to your new starting left winger #42(0) Brad Peltz!!!
Don't forget he'd also be Ottawa's new captain!

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:18 PM
  #30
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Going through a divorce and selling his beloved Majors shows that.
The selling of the Majors came after what he considered a disappointing Memorial Cup attendance record was the rumor I heard. Apparently felt there was no real market for OHL hockey in TO.

I have no idea what his financial situation is, but he owns more property and horse flesh in Florida worth a small fortune and the Senators Sports and Entertainment is making money.

A divorce doesn't necessarily mean he was/is being forced to liquidation assets to make a lump sum payment. Of course there is always the possibility a pre-nup existed as well.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:35 PM
  #31
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,358
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The selling of the Majors came after what he considered a disappointing Memorial Cup attendance record was the rumor I heard. Apparently felt there was no real market for OHL hockey in TO.

I have no idea what his financial situation is, but he owns more property and horse flesh in Florida worth a small fortune and the Senators Sports and Entertainment is making money.

A divorce doesn't necessarily mean he was/is being forced to liquidation assets to make a lump sum payment. Of course there is always the possibility a pre-nup existed as well.
I can tell you why the Memorial Cup Attendance was bad.

It was the policy of the Majors that if you wanted tickets to the Memorial Cup, you had to be a season seat owner as well. Because Mississauga isn't a very...traditional hockey market, people in lets say Oshawa would have to become Majors season ticket holders just to see the Memorial Cup.

I went to Game 1 of the year they hosted the MC, and the Ottawa West Golden Knights get better draws than they do.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:16 AM
  #32
Wham City
Registered User
 
Wham City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whistler
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
Kypreos has suggested similar before, this is from September 2011:

"...and rumblings are whether or not Eugene Melnyk is in the running for the long run too,"

Few days later Scanlan asked Melnyk directly about rumours he was looking to sell:

"You know what, they’re absolutely dead on — if you put me into the movie Wizard of Oz next to Dorothy while she’s clicking her heels. They’re out of their minds. That team will never be sold,”

TBH I wouldn't be completely shocked if Melnyk was looking to sell or bring in more investors. The man has had some tumult in his life of late.


Last edited by Wham City: 10-24-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: wrong citation
Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:12 AM
  #33
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Orkney Islands
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Scotiabank Place will need a revamp in about 10 years (it will, the stadium is slowly becoming obsolete for the modern NHL in terms of luring people in and will need an upgrade IMO, as I have been to about 10 other NHL arena's and ours is pretty weak compared to others), which won't be cheap.
This is foolish talk. Stadiums don't slowly become obsolete. They become obsolete when some new thing makes them obsolete. What is that new thing that is slowly making SBP obsolete?

I've been to 8 other current NHL rinks and you couldn't be more wrong. Nevermind that SBP is one of the largest rinks in the NHL with among the highest number of suites. There is no reason to expect it to be outdated any time soon.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:42 AM
  #34
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
This is foolish talk. Stadiums don't slowly become obsolete. They become obsolete when some new thing makes them obsolete. What is that new thing that is slowly making SBP obsolete?

I've been to 8 other current NHL rinks and you couldn't be more wrong. Nevermind that SBP is one of the largest rinks in the NHL with among the highest number of suites. There is no reason to expect it to be outdated any time soon.
As someone who had access to a LOT of the arena over the past years, there is quite a lot of maintenance that has been put off for a while. Craven isn't far off in saying the arena will need an influx of cash over the next decade... I'd hardly call it a "re-vamp", but there's a lit of little things that need doing around there that are piling up because the org has been ignoring it for a while. Nothing major of course, but if you have enough "little things" they definitely start to pile up. There's probably a mil (maybe 2?) in work that needs to be done (and that's clearly an uneducated, rough estimate: I am not an arena manager in any sense of the word), but the good thing is that because none of it is major work, it can be spread out over time.

It's like buying a new car. You feel that since you bought it NEW you can go 5 years without really putting any money in the car. Then, after 5 years, you realize you've been on the same tires for half a decade, the upholstery is starting to tear in the drivers seat, there are more rust spots than the year before, the engine starts needing work done, and there's a whole host of things you've been ignoring that adds up to you paying $3k all at once.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:50 AM
  #35
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,353
vCash: 500
Also: to the "for sale" discussion -

I don't think Melnyk would ever sell the team because of his financial situation, unless it gets a LOT worse than it is now. The Sens + SBP are still in the black (unlike the Majors), and are a profitable venture. Sure, the profit margin isn't huge, but it's not losing money.

That being said, I can ABSOLUTELY see Melnyk selling the team if he feels as though it's the right time to move them. If the CBA is owner-friendly, it might create a bubble in that there is a speculative perception that the new CBA will lead to increased profits, without any proof of what those increased profits might actually be, if any. IF the owners get what they want in the CBA (or close to it), it should translate to a sellers market for NHL teams as investors might overly speculate on potential profits tied to the CBA, profits that may or may not exist. Melnyk is still a businessman at heart. If he thinks that RIGHT NOW represents the best return on his initial investment (and trust me, he'd make a KILLING on the team+arena based on what he bought them for), he'll pull the trigger. Not a doubt in my mind. Zero doubts. None.

That being said, I think there is a ZERO percent chance that the Sens get sold without SBP being included in the deal. Owning the team without also owning the arena is a terrible proposal. I'd argue that owning the arena is so important to the team's fortunes that any deal without it would cut the value of the franchise by HALF. And because I think they only way the team gets sold is WITH the arena, there's absolutely no threat that they'd leave town; we'd just have to get to know a new owner, that's all.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:21 AM
  #36
frontsfan2005
Registered User
 
frontsfan2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I can tell you why the Memorial Cup Attendance was bad.

It was the policy of the Majors that if you wanted tickets to the Memorial Cup, you had to be a season seat owner as well. Because Mississauga isn't a very...traditional hockey market, people in lets say Oshawa would have to become Majors season ticket holders just to see the Memorial Cup.

I went to Game 1 of the year they hosted the MC, and the Ottawa West Golden Knights get better draws than they do.
When the Majors faced Owen Sound in the 2011 OHL finals, every game in Mississauga looked like the entire city of Owen Sound drove down to the Hershey Centre to watch the Attack. Especially in game 7 when the Attack won in overtime, it looked like a home game for Owen Sound.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
  #37
HappyDude
Classless
 
HappyDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
TBH I wouldn't be completely shocked if Melnyk was looking to sell or bring in more investors. The man has had some tumult in his life of late.
This. I don't see Melnyk selling but a co-ownership wouldnt be out of the question

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
  #38
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
This is foolish talk. Stadiums don't slowly become obsolete. They become obsolete when some new thing makes them obsolete. What is that new thing that is slowly making SBP obsolete?
It doesn't become obsolete in the sense that it isn't useful, but the modern decay of the rink, it's look and some of the amenities are just weaker around the facility. They were cheap when the arena was built and for their strapped cash purposes, it was understandable at the time.

Some big issues with Scotiabank Place compared to every other arena I have been to are:

-The concourses are ridiculously small. It's real bad. That will have to be addressed. You can argue that it means nothing, that people only care about inside the rink part itself, but that is hogwash. It's tight, you have lineups from every concession stand and washroom taking up space everywhere, not to mention many idiots standing around because they have nowhere else to stand because it is so tight. This is a bigger issue to most than they would admit.

-Parking it still iffy. Has it improved? Yes. But they need to build a walkway overpass to everyone who parks across the street in Lot 5 I think it is.

-The overall decor looks grubby. Grey, grey and more grey. People are spending big money and there is an expectation of coming to an entertainment facility and not hanging out in crap.

Plus, I didn't say the rink needed a huge overhaul this moment. I was suggesting that 10-15 years from now, when the arena is around 25-30 years. A face lift is not unrealistic to expect. Add in the years of decay that will take place to a facility that was cheaply put together and I bet you start seeing the rink really start to go downhill. Just my opinion though...

Quote:
I've been to 8 other current NHL rinks and you couldn't be more wrong. Nevermind that SBP is one of the largest rinks in the NHL with among the highest number of suites. There is no reason to expect it to be outdated any time soon.
Maybe so, but I'll stick with NHL people and media types who have been to every arena and share the same sentiments. PM me if you want to get into specifics because I will have no problem discussing names and people privately.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:24 PM
  #39
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,028
vCash: 500
If you want to get anywhere, the trick is to walk up the stairs inside the arena to the internal concourse inside the rink along the top and then walk back down to the section exit where you want to end up.

It's never as busy as the 300 level concourse that runs around the rink.

It's also good exercise.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
  #40
Billy Bridges
Registered User
 
Billy Bridges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
If you want to get anywhere, the trick is to walk up the stairs inside the arena to the internal concourse inside the rink along the top and then walk back down to the section exit where you want to end up.

It's never as busy as the 300 level concourse that runs around the rink.

It's also good exercise.
You walk past me on the way up all the time and never say hello or even smile

Billy Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:06 PM
  #41
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
It doesn't become obsolete in the sense that it isn't useful, but the modern decay of the rink, it's look and some of the amenities are just weaker around the facility. They were cheap when the arena was built and for their strapped cash purposes, it was understandable at the time.

Some big issues with Scotiabank Place compared to every other arena I have been to are:

-The concourses are ridiculously small. It's real bad. That will have to be addressed. You can argue that it means nothing, that people only care about inside the rink part itself, but that is hogwash. It's tight, you have lineups from every concession stand and washroom taking up space everywhere, not to mention many idiots standing around because they have nowhere else to stand because it is so tight. This is a bigger issue to most than they would admit.

-Parking it still iffy. Has it improved? Yes. But they need to build a walkway overpass to everyone who parks across the street in Lot 5 I think it is.

-The overall decor looks grubby. Grey, grey and more grey. People are spending big money and there is an expectation of coming to an entertainment facility and not hanging out in crap.

Plus, I didn't say the rink needed a huge overhaul this moment. I was suggesting that 10-15 years from now, when the arena is around 25-30 years. A face lift is not unrealistic to expect. Add in the years of decay that will take place to a facility that was cheaply put together and I bet you start seeing the rink really start to go downhill. Just my opinion though...



Maybe so, but I'll stick with NHL people and media types who have been to every arena and share the same sentiments. PM me if you want to get into specifics because I will have no problem discussing names and people privately.
If you think our concourses are "ridiculously small", I think you need to make a trip out to the Bell Centre, ACC or any other arena located in a downtown area. They will make SBP look like a field by comparison.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
  #42
DonthaveaCOWEN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
They aren't going anywhere. We are a successful small-market. All this is just speculation about his situation. However, I DO think it would be a good thing for Melnyk to possibly bring in 1 or 2 minority partners or investors. Like someone posted above, there is no way Melnyk would ever sell off the franchise without Scotiabank Place as part of a deal. That is an absolute certainty. So that would be a deal breaker for any rich plug looking to buy the team for the purpose of relocating it. With all the land that he owns around SBP too, it may be good for him to try and bring in a real estate partner as they could continue the development around that land in the future

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:04 PM
  #43
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,353
vCash: 500
I can at least halfway answer these, from when I worked in the building and overheard all the relevant conversations from others:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
They were cheap when the arena was built and for their strapped cash purposes, it was understandable at the time.
Yes they were cheap, but they didn't cut corners on quality in the arena, they cut corners on originality: SBP is almost a carbon copy of the Palace at Auburn Hills, home of the NBA's Pistons. The company that designed & built SBP also did the Palace. The similarities between the two buildings are shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Some big issues with Scotiabank Place compared to every other arena I have been to are:

-The concourses are ridiculously small. It's real bad. That will have to be addressed. You can argue that it means nothing, that people only care about inside the rink part itself, but that is hogwash. It's tight, you have lineups from every concession stand and washroom taking up space everywhere, not to mention many idiots standing around because they have nowhere else to stand because it is so tight. This is a bigger issue to most than they would admit.
1) like ChocolateLeclaire said, the concourses are far wider than most NHL arenas. There are some poorly placed washrooms that hold up traffic because they crowd the concourse at points, unfortunately.
2) the concourses will never, ever, ever be modified. Ever. The arena will be torn down before that happens. Don't hold your breath on that one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
-Parking it still iffy. Has it improved? Yes. But they need to build a walkway overpass to everyone who parks across the street in Lot 5 I think it is.
It's been discussed, but it's not happening any time soon. There's also been talk of building a much bigger foyer at Gate 1, extending Gate 1 like another 50 meters out so that it's not like a can of sardines at Gate 1, with everyone trying to squeeze themselves in during those -35 degree game nights to keep warm. Ultimately, it's a money thing: the org spent a crapload on the new scoreboard, s other projects got delayed. Neither project will happen anytime soon because of the very recent scoreboard cost, but an overpass is more likely. Maybe in the next 10 years? If I had to guess, Id say around then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
-The overall decor looks grubby. Grey, grey and more grey. People are spending big money and there is an expectation of coming to an entertainment facility and not hanging out in crap.
Yeah... well... YOUR overall decor looks... grubby. 'Cause you;re a grub. Jerk.

But yeah, it was designed that way. Grey is never trendy, but it's also never out of style. I agree it could use some more "oomph", though you can say that about most north american arenas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Plus, I didn't say the rink needed a huge overhaul this moment. I was suggesting that 10-15 years from now, when the arena is around 25-30 years. A face lift is not unrealistic to expect. Add in the years of decay that will take place to a facility that was cheaply put together and I bet you start seeing the rink really start to go downhill. Just my opinion though...
Once again: not cheaply put together, just cheaply designed (piggybacked off another arena's design to save costs). Otherwise, agreed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Maybe so, but I'll stick with NHL people and media types who have been to every arena and share the same sentiments. PM me if you want to get into specifics because I will have no problem discussing names and people privately.
I've heard the same comments, but honestly, I think a lot of people forget the arena opened in January 1996. It's over 15 years old now. People love comparing it to the Bell Center (both 1996 builds), but I honestly had Habs fans traveling from Montreal comment on how much more they liked SBP than the Bell Center ALL THE TIME.

SBP was really modern when it was opened. It wasn't until the ACC that arena designs really went next-level (and be honest: we were never going to get an arena like ACC, it's absolutely overkill for a city Ottawa's size). Comparing it to anything built after 1999 isn't fair. Compare it against any arena built pre-1999, and I'd say SBP is among the top 10%.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:06 PM
  #44
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
If you think our concourses are "ridiculously small", I think you need to make a trip out to the Bell Centre, ACC or any other arena located in a downtown area. They will make SBP look like a field by comparison.
I've been to both rinks many times. I'll agree, the Bell Centre is tight in a few spots, but they also have 3 concourses, but the second level one isn't that big. We have our main one and the really skinny one in the lower bowl. The ACC is much wider than Scotiabank Place. I can't believe you would even use that one as an example.

I've been to rinks that are downtown in New York, Newark, Boston, Tampa, Washington, Buffalo and Philadelphia as well. They are bigger than Scotiabank Place except for MSG (under heavy construction) and possibly Buffalo.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM
  #45
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Yes they were cheap, but they didn't cut corners on quality in the arena, they cut corners on originality: SBP is almost a carbon copy of the Palace at Auburn Hills, home of the NBA's Pistons. The company that designed & built SBP also did the Palace. The similarities between the two buildings are shocking.
Congratulations. I know this. I've been told differently. Though the Palace has nothing to do with our rink now.

Quote:
1) like ChocolateLeclaire said, the concourses are far wider than most NHL arenas. There are some poorly placed washrooms that hold up traffic because they crowd the concourse at points, unfortunately.
2) the concourses will never, ever, ever be modified. Ever. The arena will be torn down before that happens. Don't hold your breath on that one.
No, no they are not. Also, to suggest the concourses will never be modified is very shortsighted. Will they be scrapped and start from scratch? Probably not, but with new technology and engineering techniques, spare me the "never, ever, ever" line.



Quote:
It's been discussed, but it's not happening any time soon. There's also been talk of building a much bigger foyer at Gate 1, extending Gate 1 like another 50 meters out so that it's not like a can of sardines at Gate 1, with everyone trying to squeeze themselves in during those -35 degree game nights to keep warm. Ultimately, it's a money thing: the org spent a crapload on the new scoreboard, s other projects got delayed. Neither project will happen anytime soon because of the very recent scoreboard cost, but an overpass is more likely. Maybe in the next 10 years? If I had to guess, Id say around then.
Yes and I said many of these issues wouldn't be addressed now. In 10-15 years.


Quote:
Yeah... well... YOUR overall decor looks... grubby. 'Cause you;re a grub. Jerk.
That was a real good one...

Quote:
But yeah, it was designed that way. Grey is never trendy, but it's also never out of style. I agree it could use some more "oomph", though you can say that about most north american arenas.
I'll be sure to keep your stylistic suggestions in mind when we redo our basement next year.

Quote:
Once again: not cheaply put together, just cheaply designed (piggybacked off another arena's design to save costs). Otherwise, agreed.
We can agree to disagree like above.

Quote:
I've heard the same comments, but honestly, I think a lot of people forget the arena opened in January 1996. It's over 15 years old now. People love comparing it to the Bell Center (both 1996 builds), but I honestly had Habs fans traveling from Montreal comment on how much more they liked SBP than the Bell Center ALL THE TIME.
Well, we must have met so many different Habs fans because I have never heard any of them say that, ever. I'm not arguing whether it is true or not, but i have never heard that. The one bone I certainly have with the Bell Centre is that way up in the upper bowl, it is too high and you can't see the scoreboard. That is crap.

Quote:
SBP was really modern when it was opened. It wasn't until the ACC that arena designs really went next-level (and be honest: we were never going to get an arena like ACC, it's absolutely overkill for a city Ottawa's size). Comparing it to anything built after 1999 isn't fair. Compare it against any arena built pre-1999, and I'd say SBP is among the top 10%.
Scotiabank was modern when it opened? Breaking news. Your argument that I shouldn't compare it to other rinks doesn't make sense. Like somehow because it was built before, the problems that it has (in my view anyway), well that makes it ok and we'll all have to live with it. Just because the arena was built at a certain time doesn't eliminate the flaws it has. I'm not saying they need to be rectified immediately, but when the rink will need inevitable repairs like any facility does, especially one of an NHL team, these are some of the key issues I think that should be addressed. If that's 5 or 10 or 15 or whatever number of years, that's fine. I guess time will tell whether it is done by Melnyk or a new owner.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:09 PM
  #46
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Congratulations. I know this. I've been told differently. Though the Palace has nothing to do with our rink now.
Why would it have nothing to do with our rink now? If I haven't seen my brother in 20 years, it doesn't mean we're not still blood relatives. That's a fairly apt analogy for the Palace-SBP relationship, I'd say.


No, no they are not. Also, to suggest the concourses will never be modified is very shortsighted. Will they be scrapped and start from scratch? Probably not, but with new technology and engineering techniques, spare me the "never, ever, ever" line.
Trust me when I say it's not going to happen. The cost-benefit of doing so is outrageous. I suppose if in 20 years, we develop the technology to safely redistribute major lode bearing points in a 20k capacity arena in a short enough timespan that they wouldn't have to shut down the arena for a long enough time that the Sens would need to temporarily relocate due to arena construction, then sure. Because they aren;t going to widen the concourses at the expense of the vendors, I assure you that. If anything, I imagine they extend the vendors into th concourse, not vice versa. As it is now, it' not even CLOSE to being enough of an issue to bother even exploring the possibility of that particular modification. On the list of things that needs to be done to SBP, "widening the concourses" doesn't even break the top 100.




Yes and I said many of these issues wouldn't be addressed now. In 10-15 years.
Yeah, I said that we agreed on that in a previous post already.



That was a real good one...
YOU'RE a good one.


I'll be sure to keep your stylistic suggestions in mind when we redo our basement next year.
I didn't make any stylistic suggestion whatsoever. I agreed that the arena could use a little more color, but explained why they went the way they did.

...Though, if you want my advice, make sure to use light tones, to take advantage of the small amount of light that is rare in most basements. Stripe patterns are in right now, and they're pretty easy to pull off if you think you can lay a straight line of painters tape on the wall. I put waynescotting on the lower half of my basement, painted a bright white, with some a light gre-ish taupe stripes above. Looked real sharp. I'd post pics if I had any. It's a good look.




We can agree to disagree like above.
Indeed we can.


Well, we must have met so many different Habs fans because I have never heard any of them say that, ever. I'm not arguing whether it is true or not, but i have never heard that. The one bone I certainly have with the Bell Centre is that way up in the upper bowl, it is too high and you can't see the scoreboard. That is crap.
Worked every Habs-Sens game over the past couple of years, and I always had Habs fans compliment the arena, and had TONS of comments from them that they wish that the Bell Center was as nice SBP. Common compliments: It looks way more homey than BC, sight lines are better, looks nicer, seats are phenomenally well arranged to maximize experience.


Scotiabank was modern when it opened? Breaking news. Your argument that I shouldn't compare it to other rinks doesn't make sense. Like somehow because it was built before, the problems that it has (in my view anyway), well that makes it ok and we'll all have to live with it. Just because the arena was built at a certain time doesn't eliminate the flaws it has. I'm not saying they need to be rectified immediately, but when the rink will need inevitable repairs like any facility does, especially one of an NHL team, these are some of the key issues I think that should be addressed. If that's 5 or 10 or 15 or whatever number of years, that's fine. I guess time will tell whether it is done by Melnyk or a new owner.
You're missing the point entirely.
My response in bold.

I'm off to Bali now... won't respond 'till Monday. Later, chums!

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:41 PM
  #47
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,727
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Also: to the "for sale" discussion -

I don't think Melnyk would ever sell the team because of his financial situation, unless it gets a LOT worse than it is now. The Sens + SBP are still in the black (unlike the Majors), and are a profitable venture. Sure, the profit margin isn't huge, but it's not losing money.

That being said, I can ABSOLUTELY see Melnyk selling the team if he feels as though it's the right time to move them. If the CBA is owner-friendly, it might create a bubble in that there is a speculative perception that the new CBA will lead to increased profits, without any proof of what those increased profits might actually be, if any. IF the owners get what they want in the CBA (or close to it), it should translate to a sellers market for NHL teams as investors might overly speculate on potential profits tied to the CBA, profits that may or may not exist. Melnyk is still a businessman at heart. If he thinks that RIGHT NOW represents the best return on his initial investment (and trust me, he'd make a KILLING on the team+arena based on what he bought them for), he'll pull the trigger. Not a doubt in my mind. Zero doubts. None.

That being said, I think there is a ZERO percent chance that the Sens get sold without SBP being included in the deal. Owning the team without also owning the arena is a terrible proposal. I'd argue that owning the arena is so important to the team's fortunes that any deal without it would cut the value of the franchise by HALF. And because I think they only way the team gets sold is WITH the arena, there's absolutely no threat that they'd leave town; we'd just have to get to know a new owner, that's all.
Cough Phoenix Cough

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:48 PM
  #48
Midas0
Only the best Scouts
 
Midas0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Peterborough, Ontari
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
"I will never sell the Senators. Not a chance." - Eugene Melnyk.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/me...l-the-senators

Midas0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:58 PM
  #49
Ibrahim
I Am A God
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 613
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Silfverberg View Post
"I will never sell the Senators. Not a chance." - Eugene Melnyk.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/me...l-the-senators

Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:43 AM
  #50
porknbeans
Registered User
 
porknbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Cough Phoenix Cough
uh no, wasn't phoenix's arena built by the city of glendale?

SBP is 100% privately owned and operated, completely different situation

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.