HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART I

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 08:30 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
There's the rub...if he has an NHL career

Old
10-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Why are we talking about trading for a prospect that absolutely isn't available?

You guys are crazy sometimes.
NHL-withdrawal can take you to some weird places. String quartets and old Godzilla movies can only fill so much of the gap.

I assume that's what you're all doing, too.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:34 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
NHL-withdrawal can take you to some weird places.
Apology accepted. Now let's get back to trashing the Pens recent drafting and player development.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:20 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think with Bennett, people are completely throwing out the window that he has missed a lot of hockey with injury, and are also using his draft position against him in regards to his development. Just because a guy is drafted in the first round doesn't mean that he should be in the NHL in 2 years and ripping it up. Bennett is going to need 2 or 3 years in the minors. If he does well this year, that timeline may be cut down a bit, but don't bet on it. He was a raw, boom-or-bust guy when drafted, and that hasn't changed. People can also stat watch and complain about how he hasn't produced, but fact is, that entire WBS team hasn't produced, and through 4 games, Bennett had 2 points which tied him for the team lead. He's also in a brand new city, in a brand new organization, playing in a brand new league that is a few notches higher than any league he's every played in. Cut him some slack. If he has 7 points in 40 games, then I'd start to worry.

I think, at the very least, Beau Bennett can be a Michel Ouellete for this team, who can complement top 6 talent, and score some goals. His skating deficiencies don't scare me a bit. That stuff can be easily improved on, and we've seen it numerous times in this organization that skating camps and what not have vastly improved a players skating. Much like with Pouliot, Bennett has attributes you cannot teach. He has great hands, a very good shot, and some savvy in the offensive zone. The organization can bulk him up, and work on his skating no problem.
I believe that the sentence highlighted above is what angers people even more. If this is true, as has been bounced around a lot lately, then why would he leave school in 47 games after 2 seasons? Why would the Pens staff let him? He obviously needs a lot more development time, and at the rate people are now projecting, he'll be starting in the NHL on nearly his 2nd contract. The possibility of losing significant entry-level and UFA years on him as he develops in the AHL instead of the NCAA screams of mismanagement.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
I believe that the sentence highlighted above is what angers people even more. If this is true, as has been bounced around a lot lately, then why would he leave school in 47 games after 2 seasons? Why would the Pens staff let him? He obviously needs a lot more development time, and at the rate people are now projecting, he'll be starting in the NHL on nearly his 2nd contract. The possibility of losing significant entry-level and UFA years on him as he develops in the AHL instead of the NCAA screams of mismanagement.
NCAA hockey and the pro game are completely different animals. He went to Denver to get bigger and he did that, he didn't play as many games as he would have liked, but he achieved his main aim of going there. Now, he needs to learn the nuances of the pro game. That's why he's in the AHL.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Going to WBS allows him to focus solely on hockey without the distractions from school, he's able to play in twice as many games than he would in college, and he'll also be learning and playing in the Pens system. UFA is a ways away for BB to even get remotely worried about. And I think people go a little too crazy about players playing in the NHL on the ELC.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I don't even know about that 2-3 year projection. It's a possibility, but the organization seems very high on his skill level. I don't think Bylsma went out of his way to mention him as a candidate for Sid's wing this year for nothing.

I also hope Sullivan showed the staff what a talented RH shot forward can bring this team.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i take solace in the fact that Crosby worked out with BB and complemented him in his last interview. but maybe i'm just drinking all kinds of kool-aid.

Quote:
Beau Bennett, probably a little bit different. Beau Bennett is more of a finesse guy. He gets it in on the forecheck but probably doesn’t bring the physical element that those guys bring. He’s got some really good hands. I haven’t seen him play a lot. I’ve skated with him a bit when I was in California. He’s got some great hands."

Old
10-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i take solace in the fact that Crosby worked out with BB and complemented him in his last interview. but maybe i'm just drinking all kinds of kool-aid.
It ain't a lock until Sid comes up with a terrible nickname for him like "Bennettsy".

And if you think that's ridiculous, keep in mind that he actually referred to Sutter as "Suttsy" a few weeks ago.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
It ain't a lock until Sid comes up with a terrible nickname for him like "Bennettsy".

And if you think that's ridiculous, keep in mind that he actually referred to Sutter as "Suttsy" a few weeks ago.
Bo-Peepsy.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:05 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:

I love how Bylsma only got Disco as his nickname after he ended up on the same team as Byron Dafoe and, somehow, both of them were called "Bysie."

I mean, that's just sad.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:38 AM
JTG

Quote:
I thought he should have stayed in college, but he didn't. I think the organization was just looking at him getting size out of college anyways. He's going to benefit more from playing hockey in the AHL.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I don't even know about that 2-3 year projection. It's a possibility, but the organization seems very high on his skill level. I don't think Bylsma went out of his way to mention him as a candidate for Sid's wing this year for nothing.

I also hope Sullivan showed the staff what a talented RH shot forward can bring this team.
Anything is possible, but if people have that mindset, it just creates another Tangradi situation.

His skating is worrisome and I've been beating that drum for awhile. It is more than just his edging, stride, stops, starts, etc. His balance on his skates has to improve dramatically to not only stick in the NHL, but to make a big impact. He has to learn how to use leverage to his advantage agt AHL caliber blueliners, then the learning curve goes up several notches agt NHL blueliners.

Sometimes players progress rapidly, but I'm not sure BB is going to be that way. Anyone hoping for a big impact at the NHL level in the next cople of yrs, is probably setting themselves up for disappointment.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Suttsy is so cringe worthy. I will be very surprised if Bennett ends up with any nickname other than Dangles.

As far as him being an impact player, from what I hear it will very much depend on his skating.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
I love how Bylsma only got Disco as his nickname after he ended up on the same team as Byron Dafoe and, somehow, both of them were called "Bysie."

I mean, that's just sad.
Tangradi was Tanger until he got to an organization that already had a Tanger. Though Tanger is better than Tangsy. Seriously, Sid should not be allowed to talk to new people until someone more creative gives them a nickname.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Milliardo

Look who's back.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:58 AM
SidTheKid8787

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins

Remember "In The Room?" It's back! Have a look behind the scenes at @WBSPenguins training camp: http://pens.pe/RlOIkE #InTheRoom #itsawesome

Old
10-25-2012, 11:41 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Anything is possible, but if people have that mindset, it just creates another Tangradi situation.

His skating is worrisome and I've been beating that drum for awhile. It is more than just his edging, stride, stops, starts, etc. His balance on his skates has to improve dramatically to not only stick in the NHL, but to make a big impact. He has to learn how to use leverage to his advantage agt AHL caliber blueliners, then the learning curve goes up several notches agt NHL blueliners.

Sometimes players progress rapidly, but I'm not sure BB is going to be that way. Anyone hoping for a big impact at the NHL level in the next cople of yrs, is probably setting themselves up for disappointment.
This is what I was getting at. All of the complements to Bennett are on his hands, hockey IQ, etc. There are players with better hands and better hockey IQ's that never made a significant impact in the NHL because of their skating limitations. Will his skating be good enough to be an effective player at even-strength?

Old
10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post

Remember "In The Room?" It's back! Have a look behind the scenes at @WBSPenguins training camp: http://pens.pe/RlOIkE #InTheRoom #itsawesome
That was a good watch. If the NHL season is cancelled, it'll at least be something to have to get to know the youngsters a bit better

Old
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post

That was pretty well done. Cool to see them do it for WBS.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

I don't think he's going to make a big NHL impact in the next couple years. But I think it's within reason to think he can seriously compete for an NHL job in short order.

Problems only arise when people take projections as gospel. He's talented enough to get a real shot, but he's young and inexperienced enough that he could go either way.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
This is what I was getting at. All of the complements to Bennett are on his hands, hockey IQ, etc. There are players with better hands and better hockey IQ's that never made a significant impact in the NHL because of their skating limitations. Will his skating be good enough to be an effective player at even-strength?
Im not sure how I feel about Bennett but a the big knock on another player (due to his skating) with excellent hands and hockey IQ was David Perron. There are always comparables both for and against but he is a guy with a similar skill set IMO

Old
10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I'm worried about his skating, but that doesn't mean he can't improve and that ppl should be giving up on him yet.

I preach the same thing over and over with prospects... Be patient.

Unless its Morrow, because he is sick.

Quote:
I don't think he's going to make a big NHL impact in the next couple years. But I think it's within reason to think he can seriously compete for an NHL job in short order.

Problems only arise when people take projections as gospel. He's talented enough to get a real shot, but he's young and inexperienced enough that he could go either way.
Well, if he plays decent, there aren't any good fwd prospects he will have to leap frog to get a shot. Lets be honest. It's Tangradi, who will be with the big club, and BB. That's it.

Who knows how BB will mesh with pro players. I thought King was a below avg AHLer, then he lit it up for LA.

Despres looks a lot better in the NHL than the A. Sometimes playing with NHLers makes your job easier and things just click for you.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Sivek

All three of Bortuzzo, Megna & Veilleux are expected to miss at least the next three games.

Veilleux has to be on some type of record pace of not playing games.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Bo-Peepsy.

+ Bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

I mean, that's just sad.

I'm really hoping this becomes reality.

*Bo-nettsy*

Closed Thread