HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts interview with Brooks 10/24/12

Old
10-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Baby Punisher

vCash: 500
Torts interview with Brooks 10/24/12

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...WXCjEffrFX6CGL

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The only real news in the article is this,

Quote:
Tortorella, who is scouting the AHL Whale (“None of the kids is really playing well”),
(emphasis added)

The rest is par for the situation.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

is that supposed to imply context? it doesn't look like it and that could be really important. for all we know he said, "none of the kids are playing well, BUT that's because they're not playing right now" i'm not going to jump to a conclusion on it. i think it's an accurate statement, but jean has been better than i expected and kreider is acceptable... and honestly they're playing well at ahl level. maybe not well for the big leagues, but a few guys have been acceptable.

ALSO... "none of the kids is"... is improper english.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
is that supposed to imply context? it doesn't look like it and that could be really important. for all we know he said, "none of the kids are playing well, BUT that's because they're not playing right now" i'm not going to jump to a conclusion on it. i think it's an accurate statement, but jean has been better than i expected and kreider is acceptable... and honestly they're playing well at ahl level. maybe not well for the big leagues, but a few guys have been acceptable.

Didn't realize Torts had been a English major in college (did he even go to college?). And while we could certainly argue over what he meant, I'm assuming Brooks got the gist of what he was saying right. Especially given the warm, incredible friendship they've built over the years.

What I got from that little sippet is that none of the kids (doubt he was talking about Kreider) are ready to play in the NHL if the season started in the near future.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:03 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Miss you Torts!

Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-25-2012 at 02:08 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:23 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post

Wrong. None is singular, so "is" is grammatically correct. Points for Torts for getting something right that everybody gets wrong.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Wrong. None is singular, so "is" is grammatically correct. Points for Torts for getting something right that everybody gets wrong.
touche

Old
10-25-2012, 07:27 AM
emodwarf

Quote:
Actually, none isn't universally singular, and is often plural. In this instance "none" could be singular or plural. If you parse his meaning as "[Not one] of the kids is..." then it's singular. But none can also mean "[Not any] of the kids are..." - which would be plural.

Anyway, hoping that once I get a car soon I'll be able to make it down to some Whale games myself. Hopefully by then Torts' assessment will have improved

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
"None" can be singular or plural. Is the sense of the noun singular or plural? That's what should determine whether none is singular or plural. In this instance, either could be correct, though I would argue "are" is the more natural-sounding. (EDIT: Beaten to it a few posts above. )

On topic, the kids haven't been particularly good prior to last night's effort. Jean has stood out, but who else?

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 10-25-2012 at 08:01 AM.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:59 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I thought the comments were about the article. Instead it's about proper English.

*leaves thread*

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I thought the comments were about the article. Instead it's about proper English.

*leaves thread*
Not for nothing, you would expect an article written for the Post and written by stupid Brooks to be correct. It's not like this was a forum statement.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

*leaves thread*
Not sure what there really is to comment about in the article. Torts has concerns. Other than the comment about the kids in Hartford, there's little to comment on because any thought of playing this season seems to be nothing more than wishing at this point.

10-25-2012, 10:29 AM
1994sec311

Quote:
Yes, my love for Torts only grew deeper that he got this right. Everyone else in the world seems to get it wrong.

1994sec311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Didn't realize Torts had been a English major in college (did he even go to college?). And while we could certainly argue over what he meant, I'm assuming Brooks got the gist of what he was saying right. Especially given the warm, incredible friendship they've built over the years.

What I got from that little sippet is that none of the kids (doubt he was talking about Kreider) are ready to play in the NHL if the season started in the near future.
Uh... yes.

Both John and his brother were mainstays at the University of Maine hockey team.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Uh... yes.

Both John and his brother were mainstays at the University of Maine hockey team.
Jim Tortorella looks exactly like John.

And I believe it's "kids are," since "kids" is plural.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Jim Tortorella looks exactly like John.

And I believe it's "kids are," since "kids" is plural.
'kids' is not the subject of the sentence, it's 'none'. So what matters is whether the interpretation of 'none' is 'not one' (singular) or 'not any' (plural). It appears it can go either way.

This is how you need we need some ********ng hockey back on! We've resorted to discussing semantics/grammer in depth!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
'kids' is not the subject of the sentence, it's 'none'. So what matters is whether the interpretation of 'none' is 'not one' (singular) or 'not any' (plural). It appears it can go either way.

This is how you need we need some ********ng hockey back on! We've resorted to discussing semantics/grammer in depth!
Hmm.. I still disagree.

Are there any English teachers here to settle this!?

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:

Grammar rules say it can be either, but it should be "are" for syntax and stylistic reasons.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:45 PM
nycbruins*

More of the english language getting watered down so people don't feel stupid. Yeah, for purposes of syntax, "not any" just rolls off the tongue (sarcasm). There's pretty much no way to be gramatically wrong anymore because they just change the rules to accomodate all the dumbasses that speak it.

Good for Torts. He didn't want to say "not any of the kids are playng well" because that sounds stupid. So he said what he wanted to say the right way. Another reason i like him.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:48 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

We're not here to dissect the English language and what's proper grammatically. Focus on the article.

10-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Uh... yes.

Like Van Wilder mainstays?

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Edge

Quote:
More of the english language getting watered down so people don't feel stupid. Yeah, for purposes of syntax, "not any" just rolls off the tongue (sarcasm). There's pretty much no way to be gramatically wrong anymore because they just change the rules to accomodate all the dumbasses that speak it.
You mean a language that actually changes with time? The heck thou sayeth.

Per chance thou hath miss'd the point? Me thinks English dost evolve in time.

Tis only a fool's errand to assumes other wise.

Bottom line, it happens. If it didn't, you'd be using a different keyboard with letters that no longer exist in our already "watered down" language.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:

I disagree because none is modifying kids which is plural. 'Kids' is the subject. Notice that in "Kids is the subject" you use "is" with "kids" because in that context, "kids" is singular because it is one word. "None of the kids" is the subject in Torts' sentence and that is plural because there is more than one kid.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:47 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Hmm.. I still disagree.

Are there any English teachers here to settle this!?
Former English teacher. Current English doctoral candidate.

Because "None" is ambiguous as to whether it is singular or plural (it can be either one), the general rule is to base your verb choice on the number of the object of the preposition--in this case "kids."

That said, Torts was speaking--not writing an essay. Grammar is for written communication. Vocal communication is governed not by rules of grammar but by issues of linguistics, which can change from location to location. So technically, the construction of the sentence was "wrong," but ultimately it doesn't matter, because nobody speaks in perfect formal English.

And just to bring it back to the article, I wonder which kids he's particularly unhappy with.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Former English teacher. Current English doctoral candidate.

Because "None" is ambiguous as to whether it is singular or plural (it can be either one), the general rule is to base your verb choice on the number of the object of the preposition--in this case "kids."

That said, Torts was speaking--not writing an essay. Grammar is for written communication. Vocal communication is governed not by rules of grammar but by issues of linguistics, which can change from location to location. So technically, the construction of the sentence was "wrong," but ultimately it doesn't matter, because nobody speaks in perfect formal English.

And just to bring it back to the article, I wonder which kids he's particularly unhappy with.
wording makes it sound like all of them... which is pretty surprising since i thought kreider, and jean have been good and miller's been fine. maybe torts is just comparing to nhl level... expecting guys to carry the team on their backs down there???