HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DirecTV drops the Preds in Kentucky

Old
10-19-2012, 02:48 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

vCash: 500
DirecTV drops the Preds in Kentucky

Just got a rather disturbing email from DirecTV saying I will no longer be able to watch Nashville Predators hockey (once the season resumes) unless I get NHL Center Ice. This decision was based upon my Zip code and so on and so forth. Needless to say I called and raised a stink telling them I was a season ticket holder and had been to over 100 games and all that to no avail, so I guess I am going to be shopping for a new Satellite or Cable provider.

Dish Network has told me they would guarantee me I would get Preds games but their channel selection stinks.

Has anyone else gotten this email? They told me no one in Kentucky would be able to get Predators hockey unless they upgraded to Center Ice.

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

Call back and cancel and you can get center ice free.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Agree, probably worth the risk - if you have to switch, it's not the end of life as you know it.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

If "all of Kentucky" is affected by this and you can now get Preds games on Center Ice, it sounds like the NHL or Nashville is changing the boundaries of Fox Sports TN or Sports South, not your provider. Unless it has changed if the game is available in your area, even if it isn't on your particular provider, it is blacked out on Center Ice--that's why it's marketed as being a source for out of market games. I'd think ALL providers would be under the same rules. Maybe not if Dish is offering you games, but it also may be that they don't know they aren't in the broadcast area anymore.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:03 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I heard about this from my brother who lives in Owensboro. Said they are putting them on Blue Jackets now. lol However, he has all the fox sports regional stations so that'll be no biggie. I'm in Bowling Green but I have cable so no worries for me.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

I'll likely wait and try the bluff it out route. I don't want to give them the heave ho just yet because Dish's channel selection is scant and Mediacom is beyond pathetic. DirecTV did tell me it was their provider's decision and not up to them. But, hey, hooray for me, I can now watch Blue Jackets hockey!

I guess if nothing else, when and if the lockout gets resolved I will get Center Ice and pay for it with the money I am saving on gas by not going to games so far.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Center Ice is pretty fantastic.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:56 PM
bgpredsfan2

No preds in bowling green

My email states that the preds will not be available in zip code 42104 or as an out of market team on center ice. I emailed bob kohl, broadcast director of the preds and got no response. Also emailed directv and got no response. If i go back to insight will they carry the games in kentucky? This situation makes no sense. Can someone that knows insiders find out if this is permanent. This is the dumbest decision ive seen in 9 years as a directv subscriber?

Will this be the same with Gamecenter onthe computer?

bgpredsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I heard about this from my brother who lives in Owensboro. Said they are putting them on Blue Jackets now. lol
Somehow I'm not surprised. Base it on the theory that the Preds get Alabama and most of Georgia now that the Thrashers are gone, so Kentucky can now go to the Jackets because, y'know, the state was ultimately technically on our side of the Civil War.

What's really funny is that y'all stand a good chance of being able to more regularly catch Jackets games than those of us in Ohio. Fox Sports Ohio is really two organizations, one in Cleveland and one in Cincinnati, and the combination of the two creates a total scheduling cluster****, occasionally in Columbus and constantly in Cleveland. It's insane.

Inappropriate jokes aside, hope y'all manage to get things resolved with the TV folks.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:37 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpredsfan2 View Post
My email states that the preds will not be available in zip code 42104 or as an out of market team on center ice. I emailed bob kohl, broadcast director of the preds and got no response. Also emailed directv and got no response. If i go back to insight will they carry the games in kentucky? This situation makes no sense. Can someone that knows insiders find out if this is permanent. This is the dumbest decision ive seen in 9 years as a directv subscriber?

I've got a couple of people checking on it.. trying to get clarity on the situation.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:15 PM
codeman00

I was amazed when I found out my mother in law got the Preds games in Louisville last year...I thought she didn't know what she was talking about. I'm sure codeyh will get to the bottom of it but it sounds to me like what was said above about redefinining the Fox Sports regions...and really not anything that DirecTV can control. If it is a Fox Sports issue, then I don't think you will be able to get the games even if you switch providers....because they would just be giving you the same regional feeds.

If you end up staying with DirecTV, then I suggest you call DirecTV up and ask for the "Retention Department". Make sure you get Retention. Those guys can cut some pretty sweet deals for you if you calmly tell them your problem and ask for Center Ice for free, or at a discounted rate to keep you as a customer. The regular operators don't have the power but I promise you that Retention does. Good luck!

(of course, we might not have a season, so you should probably wait until the senseless lockout ends)

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:40 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:

Insight and you will have no problem. Gamecenter won't work for you because that's only for out of market games. I live in Bowling Green and have never missed games on fsn channel 930 on insight.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:44 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
What's really funny is that y'all stand a good chance of being able to more regularly catch Jackets games than those of us in Ohio. Fox Sports Ohio is really two organizations, one in Cleveland and one in Cincinnati, and the combination of the two creates a total scheduling cluster****, occasionally in Columbus and constantly in Cleveland. It's insane.

What's really weird is that I actually have fox sports ohio on my cable package and get all the Reds games. However in hockey season when it says blue jackets hockey, it's never been a hockey game. Not a single time.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:45 AM
bgpredsfan2

Got a reply from Bob Kohl of the Predators. He mentioned that the Preds were unaware of the impending change and said they are looking into it

Old
10-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:

If there's no center ice either, then it sounds more like the company is dropping that particular station.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
What's really weird is that I actually have fox sports ohio on my cable package and get all the Reds games. However in hockey season when it says blue jackets hockey, it's never been a hockey game. Not a single time.
I wish I could say I found that shocking or exceptional. I really do.

We hates FSNOH. We hates them, preciousss.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Okay, i need zip codes and the cable/satellite provider you use (if you're affected)

thanks!!

Old
10-26-2012, 05:28 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

42020 DirecTV

Old
10-26-2012, 09:59 PM
bgpredsfan2

Directv. But could use insight. 42104

Old
10-27-2012, 01:13 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Directv. But could use insight. 42104
Why do you think you'll have a problem with Insight? I live in the same town as you and have never had issues. Hell they've been playing Preds games the past few nights.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:13 AM
bgpredsfan2

Quote:
Why do you think you'll have a problem with Insight? I live in the same town as you and have never had issues. Hell they've been playing Preds games the past few nights.
No problem with insight. Directv offers center ice extra innings and the nfl package center ice is bliss for a hockey fan

Old
10-28-2012, 12:26 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

DirecTV

anyone else?

Old
10-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Mustard

Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
bgpredsfan2

Blacked Out

Looks like directv is truly blacking out predators this year in kentucky. The predators and the NHL are a niche sport. If this becomes the norm then count me out as a NHL fan and a predators ticket buyer

Old
01-19-2013, 11:06 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Looks like directv is truly blacking out predators this year in kentucky. The predators and the NHL are a niche sport. If this becomes the norm then count me out as a NHL fan and a predators ticket buyer
A TV carrier will determine if you remain a fan of the team and the sport?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote