HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
KevFu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
Atmosphere and home ice advantage tho.. Well thats all we have.
But we got HOVA!

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Leo W

vCash: 50

Saw this design online and loved it.. Not sure if posted yet..

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I'm not intimately familiar with the populations bases around the area. Would it be unrealistic that they create more of a fan base from the Brooklyn area and manhattan to fill the arena? Is manhattan a bridge too far to be considered a realistic season ticket base? Where is the basketball teams fan base coming from after the relocation?
It's not unrealistic at all--if Brooklyn had not become part of NYC in 1898, it would be the forth largest city in the United States today. There is plenty of room for more than one hockey team. Plus, the arena sits on one of the largest subway hubs in NYC and anyone close to a subway can be there in under an hour (MSG is about a 20 minute subway ride away). Many people who live on Long Island work in NYC--they can take the subway to the Barclay's center and then take the LIRR (the commuter train line which has a major station under the Barclay's center) home.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:19 AM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
But we got HOVA!
Hope he plays hockey.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:27 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
so, the NHL will have three teams within a 13 mile radius, but a second team in toronto is not feasible.
GTA Population: 6.0 million.
New York Metropolitan Area (the measure that includes stuff like Newark): 22.1 million.

I'm not saying a second team couldn't work in Toronto, I'm just saying that it's not exactly an even comparison.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:31 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Thats interesting... how about NFL, NBA? Maybe its a general trend for NA professional sports.
Just looking at stadiums opened in 2000 or later.

Bengals went from a stadium just under 60,000 to 65,600.
Steelers went from 59,000 to 64,500.
Broncos subtracted about 150 seats from 76,273 to 76,125.
Lions subtracted 15,000 seats from 80,311 to 65,000.
Seahawks added 2,000 from 66,000 to 68,000.
Patriots added about 6,800.
Texans added about 7,000.
Eagles added about 3,000.
Cardinals subtracted about 10,000.
Colts added about 5,000.
Cowboys added 15,000 at least. 35,000 if they expand it to the max.
Giants and Jets added about 3,000.

I'll do the same in the NBA starting in 2000.

Mavericks added about 1,000.
Spurs subtracted about 2,000 (played in the curtained off Alamodome).
Rockets added around 2,000.
Bobcats subtracted about 5,000.
Magic added about 1,500.
Nets subtracted about 3,000 from Izod Center and 1,000 from Prudential.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:34 AM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
New York Metropolitan Area (the measure that includes stuff like Newark): 22.1 million.

I'm not saying a second team couldn't work in Toronto, I'm just saying that it's not exactly an even comparison.
Mexico is the next place for NHL expansion. Love how we just ignore the fact that population isn't really the answer to every business model, but its demand. Basic Economics.

In all seriousness, he was talking about feasibility of the market, not statistics.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:38 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
On the downsizing thing the Wings are rumored to be pushing for designs on a new stadium and it will lose probably 1,500 to 2,000 seats. Of course that is because they will put in a bunch more luxury boxes and wanted to keep good sightlines something Wings fans love about Joe Louis Arena. Those are at least the rumors, seems talk of it has stalled out again.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
Don't think it matters where they move that organization as long as Wang is the owner that once great organization will still be bottom feeders.
Look for Wang to sell closer to 2015 when the value of the franchise increases immensely.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I'm unclear on why the Isles moving 20 miles makes people think anything would change wrt Toronto... there have been 3 New York area teams for 30 years and nothing's changed. This is really more akin to a Markham team that's existed for 40 years deciding to move into North York than anything.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Look for Wang to sell closer to 2015 when the value of the franchise increases immensely.
Isn't Ratner selling off his share of the Barclays? If Wang bought into that, he would guarantee an roi+.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:54 AM
madhi19

Considering the ongoing lockout and the move is not until 2015 you got to wonder about the timing of this announcement. Could it be a negotiation chip to throw on the table. 50/50 sound better if one team move from losing money to generating profit. It sound a hell of a lot better if you follow this announcement by announcing a sale and immediate relocation of the Yotes to Quebec city and maybe two expansion in Markham and Seattle for two years down the road. If that in the cards no wonder Daly does not want to meet the PA yet. Better to wait until after that shoe drop.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:41 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I'm unclear on why the Isles moving 20 miles makes people think anything would change wrt Toronto... there have been 3 New York area teams for 30 years and nothing's changed. This is really more akin to a Markham team that's existed for 40 years deciding to move into North York than anything.
Especially since this "move" is like New Jersey moving from the Meadowlands to Newark. No one thought that "meant" anything. The Islanders are moving into territory they've had the right to occupy for decades.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:56 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The new cba will give them revenue sharing.
how do you figure that?
they currently play in pretty much the middle of nowhere and dont qualify for revenue sharing.
they announce that theyll be moving closer to ( if not thee, then on of ) the most heavily populated areas on the entire planet, and all the sudden they will qualify for revenue sharing?

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:00 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
in no way shape or form do i want that logo,

Old
10-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I'm really curious for more info on how and when they're going to work on upping the capacity for hockey. I mean, they have three years, but pulling 500-1000 seats out of nowhere AND adding a second locker room is going to be some feat.

Also curious to know what kind of presence the Isles will have in Bklyn before 2015. Obviously the franchise hasn't been particularly well run over the years, but it's hard for me to imagine they're just going to let this buzz die for the next three years... I'd expect preseason games every season and a lot of work in the community to start building up a fanbase. Is that realistic, Isles fans?

Old
10-25-2012, 04:13 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
This is the most they should do in terms of changes, if anything:

1. Change the name to "The New York Islanders of Brooklyn"

2. Keep the main logo intact but add a Brooklyn themed shoulder patch and maybe alter the color scheme slightly.

3. Have a 3rd/alternate jersey with a more Brooklyn feel main logo.
1) hell no!! thats too similar to "the mighty ducks of anahiem".........which i always thought was the DUMBEST name for any team in any league.
2) i can agree with the underlined, but not the rest.
3) not really interested in third jerseys.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:31 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
how do you figure that?
they currently play in pretty much the middle of nowhere and dont qualify for revenue sharing.
they announce that theyll be moving closer to ( if not thee, then on of ) the most heavily populated areas on the entire planet, and all the sudden they will qualify for revenue sharing?
Nassau & Suffolk Counties alone would be the #18 market, bigger than 10 current NHL markets including Vancouver.

But that doesn't matter:
1. The Islanders have always been "in the New York Metro Area" in the NHL's eyes.

2. Everyone anticipates the NHL's revenue sharing exclusion for markets with more than 2 million households to be eliminated.

3. The only reason that exclusion existed was to keep Chicago from getting revenue sharing, which they "qualified for" because their owner refused to sell TV rights to home games. He's dead, all 82 games are on TV, and there's no reason for the rule anymore.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:31 AM
madhi19

Quote:
I'm really curious for more info on how and when they're going to work on upping the capacity for hockey. I mean, they have three years, but pulling 500-1000 seats out of nowhere AND adding a second locker room is going to be some feat.

Also curious to know what kind of presence the Isles will have in Bklyn before 2015. Obviously the franchise hasn't been particularly well run over the years, but it's hard for me to imagine they're just going to let this buzz die for the next three years... I'd expect preseason games every season and a lot of work in the community to start building up a fanbase. Is that realistic, Isles fans?
If the NHL is burning the whole season I don't know why the Islanders would play another game at Nassau? Barclay would likely be ready for next September. Wang could just pay what left on Nassau rent and be done with the place. If moving to Barclay will get the Islanders out of the red it a small price to pay to do it two years earlier.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post

Saw this design online and loved it.. Not sure if posted yet..

Great logo for a daycare center.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:08 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Gotta remind you that Canada counts its CMAs differently; a more appropriate comparison would include the entire Golden Horseshoe region. So it would be more like, 8+ million v. 22.1 million.

It's still not close, but hey, that's more accurate. I'd say it's more appropriate to compare Chicago's population base and its two baseball teams if you're making an argument for the NHL having two or more teams in Toronto.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I cannot believe the NHL got something done.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
how do you figure that?
The owners latest proposal, would allow them to qualify.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...evenue-sharing
All Clubs in the NHL except the top 10 Revenue Grossing Clubs will now be eligible for Revenue Sharing, including Clubs in large media markets who were previously ineligible (such as Anaheim, New Jersey and the New York Islanders, among others).

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:54 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I thought Wang indicated in the presser, that the team would be active in the Brooklyn area.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:

The Islanders were already supposed to play a preseason game vs the Devils at the Barclays Center, but the game got canceled due to the lockout.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote