HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey-reference.com Player Rankings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2012, 01:50 AM
  #101
Plural
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 30,498
vCash: 500
What is the deal with the points. I mean, i voted Ken Dryden over Ed Giacomin and it said that Dryden got +4 and Giacomin got -4 based on my vote. But when i voted Gainey over a guy i forgot the points were +2 and -2?

Plural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:48 AM
  #102
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
What is the deal with the points. I mean, i voted Ken Dryden over Ed Giacomin and it said that Dryden got +4 and Giacomin got -4 based on my vote. But when i voted Gainey over a guy i forgot the points were +2 and -2?
I think it factors "upsets" highly. If you vote Brian Bradley over Jean Ratelle, based on their previous rank, Bradley would get more points (6?) and Ratelle would lose as many. For close calls...Gretzky vs. Orr, it would be a differential of 2 I believe.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
  #103
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I think it factors "upsets" highly. If you vote Brian Bradley over Jean Ratelle, based on their previous rank, Bradley would get more points (6?) and Ratelle would lose as many. For close calls...Gretzky vs. Orr, it would be a differential of 2 I believe.
I think you're right. There is a formula involved. If you've ever participated in something with a ladder ranking system, there's a default number of points you start with, and your score goes up or down after every matchup based on whether you won or lost, and what the point total of your opponent was before you started.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:31 AM
  #104
Plural
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 30,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I think it factors "upsets" highly. If you vote Brian Bradley over Jean Ratelle, based on their previous rank, Bradley would get more points (6?) and Ratelle would lose as many. For close calls...Gretzky vs. Orr, it would be a differential of 2 I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think you're right. There is a formula involved. If you've ever participated in something with a ladder ranking system, there's a default number of points you start with, and your score goes up or down after every matchup based on whether you won or lost, and what the point total of your opponent was before you started.
Ok, thanks. Got totally addicted to this. Been doing for the whole day.

Plural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
  #105
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,577
vCash: 500
My first marque match-up

Kevin Lowe vs Joe Nieuwendyk

They are now at 1622 and 1720 respectively

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.