HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
To put in perspective, that legendary renowned scoring stud, Glen Metropolit, leads the Swiss league in scoring.
Gilbert Brule was released after not scoring once after like 16 games.

Spezza is only at ppg.

Perspective can go both ways.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
This is how Omark gets his points:

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/4...eishockey/sda/

Easy assists to get. I wouldn't get too high on him about those easy assists. Zetterberg scores and Brunner scores, and Omark is the guy who just "gives" the puck to them. He is not anything a like phenomenal playmaker there.
Omark only got one assist in that game (on the drop pass to Brunner), and Zetterberg didn't score any points at all.
So if you wanted to show Omark "just giving" the puck to Zetterberg, why pick that game?
For instance, here's Saturday's game.
Omark with an assist on the first goal by Zetterberg, and then another one at 2:53.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Omark was 0+0 and -3, until Damien Brunner did his comeback...

Imo, he is more of a product of his better linemates, not a carrying individual.
Well, Zug only played two games before Brunner joined the team.
And Omark's always been a slow starter - in the SEL, KHL and AHL (and obviously, last season in the NHL, before he was shipped to OKC).

He is no doubt benefiting from playing with a guy like Brunner (a proven scorer in the NLA), and even more so with Brunner and Zetterberg.
But just a week ago, Brunner had 22 points (7 + 15) and Omark 21 (6 + 15), so it wasn't much difference in their goals-to-assist ratios.
And looking at all the highlights, I think you're overstating all of Omark's "easy assists".
Sure, he gets those too, but I don't think he gets more of them than anyone else on that team.

Now, it's entirely possible that he's been mediocre or even played like crap most of the time. I wouldn't know.
I've only watched a couple of periods of one game that happened to be streamed online, so I have no idea how he's been playing overall.
(Do you get NLA games in Finland, by the way?)
But judging by the highlights, I'd say he's been more involved in the goal scoring than you're suggesting.

The big question is, will it mean anything for his hopes of getting back to the NHL?
With no apparent opening in Edmonton, will it increase his value and get him traded?

I guess Detroit could be interested if the Omark/Zetterberg/Brunner line keeps scoring like they've done so fat.
Red Wings scout Håkan Andersson said he had Omark as a potential late-round pick five years ago, but of course, that doesn't mean much today.
And with Renney now in Detroit? Naahh... somehow, I doubt it.

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Omark had 3Gp 1+4 5 p in European throphy before the season started!
We dont need to defend omark , everyone knows that he has delivered in less leuages before.

Saw a mod took away that comment from henkka, hes a big Brunner fantast, nothing wrong with that, hes a really intresting player, but you dont need to take away credit from other players to make a point.

Heres a post of that guy from wings hf board

"Who needs 7 million Semin, when you can have this guy? He is a carbon copy how Alex Semin snipes his goals.

13 games in Swiss league, 9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points.
1 European Trophy game, 1 goal, 2 assists.

Total 14 games, 10+17=27.

Damien Brunner, best pure scorer in Europe.
(and we have, Thornton, Giroux, Briere, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Malkin, Kovalchuck etc. in here...)

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Oh! Nice to see Jimmi Jenkins and Oilerdiehard in here. Bring in Replacement here, and the Axis of Omark-haters is complete...

Funny thing is, in your agenda it's always Omarks fault. But even now, when Linus obviously is doing good you find some way explain his succes, and make it negative.
Im not saying he is carrying the team, but he is one of the main contributers.
Admiting that would at least make your case at bit less patetic...
LOL!!

I went head to head with Jimmi and probably Replacement too a couple years ago defending Omark.

Omark with his talent should be ripping up the Swiss league, it is not a very high level league IMO and if you have an elite offensive skillset you should be ripping it up.

I think someone posted earlier that Zetterberg had 7 points in 2 games. That would sort of help support my statement.

Even when I defended and supported Omark the one thing I had a hard time defending is just how huge of homers some Omark fans are. You post anything besides Omark is supremely amazing and Omark is a god and you are now a hater, even if you supported the guy haha. Silly stuff...

He is a very gifted offensive player with elite skills playing in non-elite hockey league. Yes he should be expected to rip it up. What is wrong with the statement that he is doing what he should be doing?

Any other untrue and unfounded things you want to claim I did while we are at it?

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
LOL!!

I went head to head with Jimmi and probably Replacement too a couple years ago defending Omark.

Omark with his talent should be ripping up the Swiss league, it is not a very high level league IMO and if you have an elite offensive skillset you should be ripping it up.

I think someone posted earlier that Zetterberg had 7 points in 2 games. That would sort of help support my statement.

Even when I defended and supported Omark the one thing I had a hard time defending is just how huge of homers some Omark fans are. You post anything besides Omark is supremely amazing and Omark is a god and you are now a hater, even if you supported the guy haha. Silly stuff...

He is a very gifted offensive player with elite skills playing in non-elite hockey league. Yes he should be expected to rip it up. What is wrong with the statement that he is doing what he should be doing?

Any other untrue and unfounded things you want to claim I did while we are at it?
He's out producing Seguin and company...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He's out producing Seguin and company...
Well he is obviously not producing as much as he should.

I mean you tell me Seguin is on the same team as Jakob Micflicker and Marc Pouliot both of those guys are producing at a similar level. Both of those guys were on the Oilers other NHL farm teams not so long ago (Micflickier split time between the Oil farm team and Stockton of the ECHL). Both of those guys are producing at the same level as Seguin. Do you think they are similar level talents to Seguin?

I am not watching the games, so I do not know but are guys like Seguin even going full out or are they just trying to stay in shape and not get hurt. Someone watching would be better than me to answer those questions. I guess some of the NHLers are also playing league play on the big ice surface for the first time? I suppose that would take some time to adjust to.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I'm just being devils advocate, I don't mean to suggest that Omark is at par with Seguin. It does look like his game is more suited to the Euro ice though, he seems to be having a great season so far ... even before Zetterberg showed up.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Jamin

I thought once he signed with a new team this thread would die. Are Omark supporters planning on updating us every time he scores a point forever or just until his rights goto a different team

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I thought once he signed with a new team this thread would die. Are Omark supporters planning on updating us every time he scores a point forever or just until his rights goto a different team
He's Oiler's property and people seem interested in discussing how his year in Switzerland is going. This thread is perfectly fine for our board. If you don't like reading about him, I'd suggest ignoring this thread by clicking the little x in the square beside the title on the main Oilers forum.

Last edited by s7ark: 10-24-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: clarity
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Gilbert Brule was released after not scoring once after like 16 games.

Spezza is only at ppg.

Perspective can go both ways.
Can't say I'm entirely surprised by Brule.

I'm sure the league is tad less physical than the NHL, so you're going to have some skewered stats for some players.

Not to mention, there may not be quite the urgency in the play of a lot of NHL stars over there, if you know what I mean. Just stay in shape, stay healthy, and don't do anything dumb.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post

I agree. Omark is the new Rob Schremp, but like the mod says...to each his own, so whatever.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Can't say I'm entirely surprised by Brule.

I'm sure the league is tad less physical than the NHL, so you're going to have some skewered stats for some players.

Not to mention, there may not be quite the urgency in the play of a lot of NHL stars over there, if you know what I mean. Just stay in shape, stay healthy, and don't do anything dumb.
Exactly, while guys like Spezza who are 'only scoring a point a game' are just trying to keep in shape and practice his skills, Brule is playing for his livelihood, he doesn't have a million dollar contract to go back to after the lockout. If he can't cut it in that league, he shouldn't even be sniffing at the NHL.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Pascal85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well he is obviously not producing as much as he should.

I mean you tell me Seguin is on the same team as Jakob Micflicker and Marc Pouliot both of those guys are producing at a similar level. Both of those guys were on the Oilers other NHL farm teams not so long ago (Micflickier split time between the Oil farm team and Stockton of the ECHL). Both of those guys are producing at the same level as Seguin. Do you think they are similar level talents to Seguin?

I am not watching the games, so I do not know but are guys like Seguin even going full out or are they just trying to stay in shape and not get hurt. Someone watching would be better than me to answer those questions. I guess some of the NHLers are also playing league play on the big ice surface for the first time? I suppose that would take some time to adjust to.
I am a Zurich Lions Supporter and saw the Game vs. Zug the other day. I cant really say, but I dont think so that Omark and Zetterberg (and other NHL Lockout "Stars" like Seguin, Spezza, Bergeron, Tavares) do go full. I mean, none of them really dominate a game... My conclusion is they wanna stay in shape, see somthing different and have a good time on the ice.... but thats just my 2 cents....

Pascal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Thorulf

The sub-discussion regarding that the NHL-players in Europe are just skating slowly around "trying to stay in shape and not get injured" is very dumb imo.

They are all professional players who love the sport they are in! They have a responsibility to team mates, fans and the new club/employer, so ofcourse they won't just "skate around".
But first and most improtant; if you get to that high level as NHL as an athlete you have a strong competitive mind. Once you hit the ice, there is no such thing as playing for trying to stay in share; i guarantee that each player will try to win!

I don't know how many of you guys how just read about sport on forums, but from personal experience i know that once you get in a competetive setting, there is no holding back (with a few exceptions ofc, but even half injured/sick I find it hard to not go all-in). Ofc they don't want to get hurt, but that goes for all players.

I have seen already many games involving NHL-player in Europe so far, and i got to disagree with the previous poster. They are not holding back. It's not play-off mode (but still, that goes for all players).

With beeing said, it's not easy to come over and just start to dominate. Cultural differences, bigger ice surface and new team mates are things that affect.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm just being devils advocate, I don't mean to suggest that Omark is at par with Seguin. It does look like his game is more suited to the Euro ice though, he seems to be having a great season so far ... even before Zetterberg showed up.
Can I just simply term this as misappropriation?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal85 View Post
I am a Zurich Lions Supporter and saw the Game vs. Zug the other day. I cant really say, but I dont think so that Omark and Zetterberg (and other NHL Lockout "Stars" like Seguin, Spezza, Bergeron, Tavares) do go full. I mean, none of them really dominate a game... My conclusion is they wanna stay in shape, see somthing different and have a good time on the ice.... but thats just my 2 cents....
Of course they do. No different than playing pond hockey. That's what makes these players. They are a make-up of competition. Under these circumstances its temporary and thats just it. Still a fun game to win in.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Oh! Nice to see Jimmi Jenkins and Oilerdiehard in here. Bring in Replacement here, and the Axis of Omark-haters is complete...

Funny thing is, in your agenda it's always Omarks fault. But even now, when Linus obviously is doing good you find some way explain his succes, and make it negative.
Im not saying he is carrying the team, but he is one of the main contributers.
Admiting that would at least make your case at bit less patetic...
lol, I don't post for a month in the thread and warm thoughts are still held out for me.

I've never once doubted that Omark can rip it up against lesser opponents. Indeed it seems to be his calling card.

I hope he does well and the Euro ice is likely more suited to his game.

Omarks problem here in the NHL is even superstars are expected to play both ends of the ice. Team Wins here being considered much more important then pts obtained. Contributing to team success here being more important then meagre production here with the Oilers.

Omark was a high risk, medium reward player in Edmonton. When one looks at the lack of goals here his contribution was even less fulfilling. WE have plenty of players here that can contribute assists.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Tedi

Quote:
The sub-discussion regarding that the NHL-players in Europe are just skating slowly around "trying to stay in shape and not get injured" is very dumb imo.

They are all professional players who love the sport they are in! They have a responsibility to team mates, fans and the new club/employer, so ofcourse they won't just "skate around".
But first and most improtant; if you get to that high level as NHL as an athlete you have a strong competitive mind. Once you hit the ice, there is no such thing as playing for trying to stay in share; i guarantee that each player will try to win!

I don't know how many of you guys how just read about sport on forums, but from personal experience i know that once you get in a competetive setting, there is no holding back (with a few exceptions ofc, but even half injured/sick I find it hard to not go all-in). Ofc they don't want to get hurt, but that goes for all players.

I have seen already many games involving NHL-player in Europe so far, and i got to disagree with the previous poster. They are not holding back. It's not play-off mode (but still, that goes for all players).

With beeing said, it's not easy to come over and just start to dominate. Cultural differences, bigger ice surface and new team mates are things that affect.
Somewhat true, Omark has a lot to prove and it is good for him to get his game back on track. And I have no doubt he is 100% all-in. However a large portion of NHL'ers which are locked out are there merely to stay in game shape and their motivations may differ from Omark's. IMO most Oiler fans wished Omark would have had more success in Edmonton but I think that ship has sailed and a brief look at the current Oiler roster shows that Omark has no place left with the Oilers. I wish him luck and hope one day to see him light it up in the NHL, just not against us...

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

it doesn't seem to me that the Swiss A league is very competitive....not just Omark with 22 points in 15 games, but Zetterberg has 7 points in just three games, with 5 goals....the level of competition over there for NHLers isn't very high. interesting to see Jussi Markkanen playing with Zug as well.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
McClelland

Lucky to have omark in a extended golfseason, and make oklahoma gamethreads, why bother when a lot of posters thinks that the nhl ers take it as training sessions. Thats shows the distance some fans have to the players, and accepts a primadonna behavior.

Hockey is their work wherever they play, they makes crazy money in nhl, khl and also in europe and some even in ahl, they dont play for free, and people pay a lot of money to see them.
I thinks its very few who doesnt do their best, and let down their teammates.
Hockey is a sport where you get hurt if you doesnt compete in game situations.

Last edited by McClelland: 10-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.
McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Lucky to have omark in a extended golfseason, and make oklahoma gamethreads, why bother when a lot of posters thinks that the nhl ers take it as training sessions. Thats shows the distance some fans have to the players, and accepts a primadonna behavior.

Hockey is their work wherever they play, they makes crazy money in nhl, khl and also in europe and some even in ahl, they dont play for free, and people pay a lot of money to see them.
Actually I don't accept it, I no longer pay for it, and agree that the average NHLPA player is a primadonna. Think about it. These NHL players that want jobs overseas don't need it, certainly not financially, and are only there for a paycheck as long as the lockout persists. For the vast majority of them anyway. I would actually argue Omark is in Europe for legitimate reasons and to build his resume and game. Most of the NHLers in Europe are taking somebody elses job and could care less thats the case. It speaks of no respect to the average Euro league player or teams. I wouldn't look highly on that.

Absolutely I feel distance toward the players few of whom I can even relate to. Pro Sports in NA is largely an overblown hype machine. Played by a bunch of spoiled whining athletes.

Its been a long time since NHL hockey has been strictly about the entertainment. Or for the average fan.

If a new league stepped in here I'd support it gladly. I actually prefer a more wide open entertaining type game. WHA was very much a Euro style type league. I honestly preferred it for the most part with the exception of course of one incredibly gifted team that the Oilers have had here.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post

Do you honestly believe that is where these NHL'ers want to play? If you think it is the SEL or Swiss or even the KHL you'd be mistaken. I'm not here to diss those leagues but I would question the motivation of some the players playing there. I think with the european NHL'ers they are playing for pride and hometown fans so I do feel those players are giving it their best effort. Loyalty to the fans left this game a long time ago, this isn't a jaded opinion it's just the way it is.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Sounds about right to me.

Quote:

Do you ever watch long time NHL veterans in the preseason. They are just trying to knock off the rust and get in game shape. They are usually not out there trying very hard. They save their best and pace themselves for the big games and the big bucks.

A guy like Omark on the other had has a lot to prove and show before he can get another shot in the NHL. I am sure he is giving it everything he has got to impress the NHL scouts.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:37 PM
BleedingOil

Anyone really surprised? His game is suited for the big ice and he has solid linemates and is playing in the Swiss Lg

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Yeah I think it's wierd that the guys who played for team Canada can't dominate in the Swiss league the same way that team Canada dominates against, uh, hey how 'bout a new topic.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote