HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
  #826
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
David Krejci thinks Gary Bettman treats the players like animals
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-like-animals/
Of all the dumb things players have said during this lockout this one takes the cake for me. It's borderline downright insulting to anyone who works for a living at a fraction of what these guys make. What an ass.

Poor players, fighting the blue-collar fight to save their families from oppression. Give me a ****ing break.


The PA seriously needs to muzzle these morons.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
  #827
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Of all the dumb things players have said during this lockout this one takes the cake for me. It's borderline downright insulting to anyone who works for a living at a fraction of what these guys make. What an ass.

Poor players, fighting the blue-collar fight to save their families from oppression. Give me a ****ing break.

The PA seriously needs to muzzle these morons.
Well, if the google translation from the Czech article can be trusted, it seems like Krejci is just saying he doesn't like Bettman, and referencing the Devellano comments. As much as I love to hate Bruins, I don't see anything ridiculous here.

Roulin is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 10:27 AM
  #828
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Well, if the google translation from the Czech article can be trusted, it seems like Krejci is just saying he doesn't like Bettman, and referencing the Devellano comments. As much as I love to hate Bruins, I don't see anything ridiculous here.
Good for you. Wasn't looking for approval.

They're acting like they're being mistreated or oppressed. It's a farce.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
  #829
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
It's never confirmed in the article, but I think it's safe to assume who the "Jim" is in Krejci's comment, and that "animals" is in fact a reference to the Devellano interview:

Věříte, že výluka vůbec skončí?

„Doufal jsem, že aspoň jeden náš návrh přijmou nebo se jím budou přinejmenším zabývat. Očekával jsem jejich zájem, ale ani ťuk. Jim by asi tolik nevadilo, kdyby se rok nehrálo. Je to pro nás hodně frustrující.“

Roulin is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  #830
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,726
vCash: 500
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ing-make-whole

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 08:01 PM
  #831
LaurentHabs
Wat.
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,255
vCash: 500
Coulden't find the Other team's thread, so thought I'd make you guys laugh a bit



"What team do you play for? Pheonix, well maybe Quebec soon"

LaurentHabs is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  #832
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
‏@DarrenDreger
The union has offered to meet, but, unless PA is willing to work off NHL's offer, Daly says there's no reason to meet.

@DarrenDreger
When asked if the CBA negotiation is about to go into a deep freeze, B. Daly said "I suspect so. Back to the drawing board. Unfortunate."

@tpanotchCSN
Daly: "back to drawing board.

@tpanotchCSN
Bill Daly says given NHLPA position on league's last proposal and "unwillingness" to offer a new one, he's unsure why 2 sides would meet.

@FriedgeHNIC
Sounds like players wanted to see if there was room to talk and go from there. Looks like a standoff for now.


Jmac1160* is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 01:01 AM
  #833
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
‏@DarrenDreger
The union has offered to meet, but, unless PA is willing to work off NHL's offer, Daly says there's no reason to meet.

@DarrenDreger
When asked if the CBA negotiation is about to go into a deep freeze, B. Daly said "I suspect so. Back to the drawing board. Unfortunate."

@tpanotchCSN
Daly: "back to drawing board.

@tpanotchCSN
Bill Daly says given NHLPA position on league's last proposal and "unwillingness" to offer a new one, he's unsure why 2 sides would meet.

@FriedgeHNIC
Sounds like players wanted to see if there was room to talk and go from there. Looks like a standoff for now.

I don't see any side starting to making significant concessions till late Dec or next Jan.

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 01:17 AM
  #834
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
‏@DarrenDreger
The union has offered to meet, but, unless PA is willing to work off NHL's offer, Daly says there's no reason to meet.

@DarrenDreger
When asked if the CBA negotiation is about to go into a deep freeze, B. Daly said "I suspect so. Back to the drawing board. Unfortunate."

@tpanotchCSN
Daly: "back to drawing board.

@tpanotchCSN
Bill Daly says given NHLPA position on league's last proposal and "unwillingness" to offer a new one, he's unsure why 2 sides would meet.

@FriedgeHNIC
Sounds like players wanted to see if there was room to talk and go from there. Looks like a standoff for now.

Can the drawing board play hockey?

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 06:14 PM
  #835
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,828
vCash: 500
When Baseball lost the end of the season in 1994, there was a huge exodus of fans, and MLB lost a lot of money in the following years relative to trend.

The money came back in 1998, when Marc Mcgwire and Samy Sosa relied on anabolic steroids and changes to how baseballs are manufactured to break Roger Maris' home run record. The fans came back to see a spectacle.

The same can happen with hockey. I think the NHL should institute smaller goalie equipment after the lockout, and maybe something else. That way, following the lockout, Steven Stamkos can score 50 goals in 38 games and 93 goals over a season, and thus the fans would come back.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:08 PM
  #836
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,845
vCash: 500
I am quite interested in what happens to those players who get injured while playing in other leagues if the NHL returns sometime on the near future. Volchenkov, Rask, and a few others have sustained injuries. That is not good for them or their respective NHL teams. I am also curious to know what happens if a player gets so hurt that he loses a full season. Does the NHL team he is signed with have to pay his contract should the lockout end before he recovers?

As far as guys like Kostitsyn, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin saying they will stay in Russia: Good Riddance. SK is nothing special. Kovy and Ovie are great players, but if they want to leave their contracts and free their money for their respective teams, let them leave. Wait until they find out some of the problems they will experience getting paid by some teams in the KHL and how easily they can get cut there. Bobby Dollas was talking about the problems with playing in Russia and how a number of former NHL players were screwed over in Russia. I find it rather amusing to hear Ovechkin complain, because the amount he is currently getting paid to play in Russia is actually considerably less than the contract he signed in the NHL even if he did lose 12% from the deal. If they want to leave, let them. The NHL will survive the loss and continue to thrive without them. Their respective teams might find better value for their dollars without them as well. If Ovechkin doesn't get more than the 65 points he put out last season by a considerable amount, then the Caps would be better off without him, anyway, considering his over 9 million dollars per year contract!

Let them leave.

Drydenwasthebest is online now  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
  #837
L'abstrait
Registered User
 
L'abstrait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St-Henri
Country: Qatar
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Can't stand this situation anymore!

L'abstrait is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
  #838
CN_paladin
Registered User
 
CN_paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westeros
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Can we almost say that the 82 season schedule is all but hopeless now? Fehr = lockouts

CN_paladin is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
  #839
NORiculous
Registered User
 
NORiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I am quite interested in what happens to those players who get injured while playing in other leagues if the NHL returns sometime on the near future. Volchenkov, Rask, and a few others have sustained injuries. That is not good for them or their respective NHL teams. I am also curious to know what happens if a player gets so hurt that he loses a full season. Does the NHL team he is signed with have to pay his contract should the lockout end before he recovers?

As far as guys like Kostitsyn, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin saying they will stay in Russia: Good Riddance. SK is nothing special. Kovy and Ovie are great players, but if they want to leave their contracts and free their money for their respective teams, let them leave. Wait until they find out some of the problems they will experience getting paid by some teams in the KHL and how easily they can get cut there. Bobby Dollas was talking about the problems with playing in Russia and how a number of former NHL players were screwed over in Russia. I find it rather amusing to hear Ovechkin complain, because the amount he is currently getting paid to play in Russia is actually considerably less than the contract he signed in the NHL even if he did lose 12% from the deal. If they want to leave, let them. The NHL will survive the loss and continue to thrive without them. Their respective teams might find better value for their dollars without them as well. If Ovechkin doesn't get more than the 65 points he put out last season by a considerable amount, then the Caps would be better off without him, anyway, considering his over 9 million dollars per year contract!

Let them leave.
When did Kovalchuk say that? I missed it.

NORiculous is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:45 PM
  #840
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
When did Kovalchuk say that? I missed it.
Did kostitsyn even say that he would stay in Russia?

overlords is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 07:55 PM
  #841
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
When did Kovalchuk say that? I missed it.
All them Russians sound the same.


On the other hand, Jagr (who knows what it's like to own a team) said he understands the owners.

Quote:
His ownership status must have influenced his answer to the site's question about what he thinks of Alexander Ovechkin's round condemnation of the league. Ovechkin said the owners were trying to "cheat" the players out of paying their existing contracts.

"Cheating. I don't know what he meant by the word. When someone owns something and wants to make as much as possible, you can't call that cheating. You'd have to call a half of the world cheaters. It's simply business.

"True, they need us to do the business, but still, they own it. And another thing: hockey is not the main thing for most of the owners. They make their money elsewhere. Unlike us, hockey players. They set the rules, no doubt about that."

Et le But is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:03 PM
  #842
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
When did Kovalchuk say that? I missed it.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407986

Quote:
Add Ilya Kovalchuk's name to the list of Russian players who may stay overseas if the NHL's new collective bargaining agreement sees salaries reduced.

The star winger told a Russian news outlet on Tuesday that if the league cuts the players' pay in any new deal, he may stay in Russia where he's playing with SKA St. Petersburg of the Kontinental Hockey League.

"Basically, I don't rule out staying in Russia in the case of a reduction of our salaries in the NHL," Kovalchuk told Sportbox.ru. "I just don't understand why they needed to sign such contracts. Or they were just hoping to cut the percentage later? I believe that the contracts must be respected and this is a fundamental question. There's no way the head of the (NHL Players') Association and the hockey players will agree on the wage reduction."

Kovalchuk, 29, signed a 15-year deal with the New Jersey Devils in 2010 worth $100 million.

He's not the only Russian player to voice such concerns since the start of the lockout, as fellow countrymen Alexander Ovechkin and Sergei Gonchar have also threatened to stay home if they don't find the new CBA to be favourable.
I read it recently and happily found it for you. I am getting better at this computer stuff, of late...

Drydenwasthebest is online now  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:06 PM
  #843
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Did kostitsyn even say that he would stay in Russia?
Actually (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407902):

Quote:
Nashville Predators forward Sergei Kostitsyn said he hopes the NHL lockout will last all season, according to a report in The Globe and Mail.

Kostitsyn, who has joined Avangard Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League during the NHL lockout, said players want a certain answer from the league, sooner rather than later.

"Let's put it this way - it would be better (for the players) if the lockout continues," Kostitsyn said, according to Russian publication Sport-Express.

"Players want a definite answer. If the NHL season is lost – let it be that way. I would then play in Russia for the whole season."

Kostitsyn continued to say that he had a hard time adjusting to life in North America, according to the Globe report.

"I couldn't get used to (American) mentality. They are totally different people from us."

The NHL regular season was originally scheduled to begin October 11 but has been postponed until at least November 2.
He is an idiot and I am soooo glad he is no longer a Habs player! So, I was incorrect in saying he would stay in Russia if his contract was reduced. He simply wants to stay in Russia now.

Drydenwasthebest is online now  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
  #844
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Actually (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407902):



He is an idiot and I am soooo glad he is no longer a Habs player! So, I was incorrect in saying he would stay in Russia if his contract was reduced. He simply wants to stay in Russia now.
So then he didn't say it?

overlords is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
  #845
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Actually (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407902):



He is an idiot and I am soooo glad he is no longer a Habs player! So, I was incorrect in saying he would stay in Russia if his contract was reduced. He simply wants to stay in Russia now.
He didn't say either of those things. He said that maybe the strike should last all season, that's it. You seem to understand this as a ''he wants to stay in Russia''. I view it as ''maybe those dumb NHL execs will understand us if it lasts that long''.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
  #846
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
When Baseball lost the end of the season in 1994, there was a huge exodus of fans, and MLB lost a lot of money in the following years relative to trend.

The money came back in 1998, when Marc Mcgwire and Samy Sosa relied on anabolic steroids and changes to how baseballs are manufactured to break Roger Maris' home run record. The fans came back to see a spectacle.

The same can happen with hockey. I think the NHL should institute smaller goalie equipment after the lockout, and maybe something else. That way, following the lockout, Steven Stamkos can score 50 goals in 38 games and 93 goals over a season, and thus the fans would come back.
Wasn't that Fehr guy involved in MLB back in 1994???

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 09:14 PM
  #847
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
When Baseball lost the end of the season in 1994, there was a huge exodus of fans, and MLB lost a lot of money in the following years relative to trend.

The money came back in 1998, when Marc Mcgwire and Samy Sosa relied on anabolic steroids and changes to how baseballs are manufactured to break Roger Maris' home run record. The fans came back to see a spectacle.

The same can happen with hockey. I think the NHL should institute smaller goalie equipment after the lockout, and maybe something else. That way, following the lockout, Steven Stamkos can score 50 goals in 38 games and 93 goals over a season, and thus the fans would come back.
It's probably overstated, the McGwire - Sosa race certainly helped but if fans were just watching to see the spectacle, they wouldn't have stayed after. A lot of people credit Cal Ripken in '95 close to as much as the HR race, if not as much.

I think the reality is just, the anger subsides eventually. It took baseball fans a while but revenues grew almost 30% between 95 (first year back) and 96.

dynastyREredux is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 09:20 PM
  #848
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Actually (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407902):



He is an idiot and I am soooo glad he is no longer a Habs player! So, I was incorrect in saying he would stay in Russia if his contract was reduced. He simply wants to stay in Russia now.
Yeah what an idiot because he is getting frustrated like anyone else and rather stay in his "hometown" playing hockey the whole year than waiting in uncertainty.

Rosso Scuderia is online now  
Old
10-24-2012, 10:25 PM
  #849
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Actually (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407902):



He is an idiot and I am soooo glad he is no longer a Habs player! So, I was incorrect in saying he would stay in Russia if his contract was reduced. He simply wants to stay in Russia now.
Pretty sure there's more to the interview. I remember reading that he says he didn't want to abandon his current teammates since the season started.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 08:14 AM
  #850
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
**** 'em all!!

**** all the greedy/spoiled NHL players.
**** all the greedy/spoiled owners.
**** the NHLPA.
**** Bettman.

**** 'em all.

I hope there is a lockout next season as well...this way the players may get a small feeling of what many fans are going through.
Many fans have real jobs and have to do it 9 to 5 (Mon to Fri) and for a measly $20 000 to $50 000/year (on average). Meanwhile...these ****ing millionaires play hockey 8 months per year and get millions. **** 'em all.

The only reason the owners and players are millionaires is because of...fans.

Yet, every 5-6 seasons they continue ****ing fans up the ***.


The players know they'll get their money next season, but I hope they don't (lockout 2013-2014 as well, what the ****)...I hope they have to go to Europe next season for their millions.

Mr. Hab is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.