HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Will You Miss Most about NVMC

Old
10-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 480
Oh, and memories you make there. Definitely that, I don't even have good ones being so young, I haven't gone to a playoff game at the Coliseum.

But there are many memories at other games I love. Hell, at the last Islander-Ranger game I started 4 chants, I was so hyped that game and had a blast.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:23 PM
GrabnerIsGod

vCash: 500
That it was ten mins from home

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:25 PM
GrabnerIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
That it was very close to my house.

That the place ROCKED when full. Will never forget the sound of that place in that Leafs series.

It was OUR team (Long island). Now we have to share the team!!! LOL
I remember how f**king loud that series was!!!

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Islanders1932

I think one thing I will truly miss is the community feel. While tailgating you would meet people and remain friends forever. You would always bump into those same people at the games and catch up from that one time you met while tailgating. Now I feel it will be more of a show up watch the game and leave, rather than chat and catch up before hand.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:56 AM
leeroggy

I moved out of the area many years ago but one thing I remember from my youth was how the Coliseum came up with that great idea for having a separate entrance and pick up/drop off area for parents to get their kids to the game. It definitely helped grow the fan base in the early years. My dad would drop my brother and I off at the game, go home, and come back to pick us up after the game, all for free. It made it safe for younger fans to go to a game. I don't know if it still exists (I left the area in the late 70's when we moved out of state) but it was the only such amenity I never saw at any other major arena.

My biggest personal memory for attending a game was being in the stands the night Trots broke the rookie scoring record (I believe against the Kings).

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I think one thing I will truly miss is the community feel. While tailgating you would meet people and remain friends forever. You would always bump into those same people at the games and catch up from that one time you met while tailgating. Now I feel it will be more of a show up watch the game and leave, rather than chat and catch up before hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
I moved out of the area many years ago but one thing I remember from my youth was how the Coliseum came up with that great idea for having a separate entrance and pick up/drop off area for parents to get their kids to the game. It definitely helped grow the fan base in the early years. My dad would drop my brother and I off at the game, go home, and come back to pick us up after the game, all for free. It made it safe for younger fans to go to a game. I don't know if it still exists (I left the area in the late 70's when we moved out of state) but it was the only such amenity I never saw at any other major arena.

My biggest personal memory for attending a game was being in the stands the night Trots broke the rookie scoring record (I believe against the Kings).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes of 1980 View Post
I'll miss how "local" everything felt. I really enjoy making a 15 minute drive to the Coliseum, commiserating with other fans that lived nearby. That feeling of knowing that other fans in the building identify with me. That everyone else could joke around about the Islanders and building we watched the games in. Being able to stop by Applebee's on Sunrise highway in Bellmore and always seeing a few fellow Islanders fans in team gear after a game.

Can't be understated how cool it was to tailgate and see lots of others doing the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
-The ease of it all.. Being able to leave my house at 6:40 and being in my seat before the puck drops.

-Cheap seats/Great site lines

-The fact that its a dump but its our dump.. I loved Shea Stadium and still miss it.. Maybe I'm just weird. edit: JTforPres gets it!

- Being able to drive to the game/tailgating

-I don't know why but its always felt like "my" team because its in my back yard.. Moving from LI will change that a tad but I'll still love 'em.
pretty much this. i lived in nassau for a few years, had season tickets, then moved out to montauk and still managed to go to about 10-13 games a year(thats a fn feat for the distance). It was just YOUR place.

the above and...i dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, i read them all and didnt notice it, but i LOVED how the building always literally rocked a bit when the place got ridiculously crazy. Like in the leafs series and a few times after that, you could pretty much feel the place moving. that was pretty ****ing awesome.

Riddick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Bexlyspeed

the sightlines. the Coliseum is the best place to watch Hockey.

there will never be a building like that again in the NHL.

well we still have at least 2 seasons to see hockey there so lets enjoy it. and im looking forward to the new digs in brooklyn

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:08 AM
jjricco8

1. Walking into the arena and looking over the back of the seating in the 200 section evertime just to see the ice eventhough I had been there hundreds of times before
2. The opening day tailgate
3. The cramped concourse if more than 10K showed
4. Sound of metal section of the 100 level when you walked on them
5. The orange tile in the concourse
6. The smell
7. The commute (from Suffolk)
8. The front doors that pivoted about 1 foot from the edge that made the doors weird to open.
9. The same ticket taker, Leo, for 20+ years.
10. Ben Steele on the Hammond organ

jjricco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Islanderfan17

All the memories at the Coliseum that I've had over the years, even bringing my witch ex GF to games with my family But really, I will always love the Coliseum and I'm tearing up a bit thinking about it now.

I would have to say the one thing I loved most about the Coliseum is walking inside and knowing all the history that took place inside of there with the Islanders. It's going to be hard leaving all the history in that building behind, but ultimately it's time to turn a new chapter for this franchise and get out of a building that has been more of a curse and a reminder of the glorious past than anything for a long long time now. I'm excited to hopefully make some history in Barclays and hopefully do it before the Nets do

Other little things:

My section and all the people in it

Honking after the game

How incredibly loud it would get in there after a big goal was scored

Knowing that, no matter how many Rag fans were at the game, it was still our territory

Hanging out outside during intermissions with my parents and waiting in line to piss in the trailer

Our awesome season ticket seats and the great view they provided

I could go on and on but these are some things that came to mind, I'll miss the place to death but I think we all know that this move is for the best.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:55 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
The sitelines. (best out there!)
The noise level.
The feeling of closeness to every fan in your section.
The parking lot experience (waiting as a kid to get Ny and Potvin and Hogue and Patty Lafontaine to sign) (Vukota never would)
The ability to point to where THE GOAL was.
The ability to describe the Uwe Krupp goal being scored after the Isles won and fans stayed.
The Hempstead Tpke parades.
It was Long Island.
It was OUR TEAM, not some corporate feel franchise experience.
The ice housed all of our greats.
The history within made a dull building a museum for those who cared about the team more than the restrooms.
The concourse was part of the closeness felt.....Long Island, not Anaheim or Toronto or Phoenix. We had fans and friends to bump into and get to know.
The chants. We had great people through the years yell the funniest stuff.
You could get to your seat within a minute or two without elevators or 50 stair cases.
The size was ideal (wish it had more luxury boxes, but.....)
The banners and attention to our past was pure in those rafters. We made the building, we didn't just play there.

I could go on. A lot of the feeling taken for granted will forever be lost in 2015.
Yup. I know it had to happen but a lot is lost.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:58 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
pretty much this. i lived in nassau for a few years, had season tickets, then moved out to montauk and still managed to go to about 10-13 games a year(thats a fn feat for the distance). It was just YOUR place.

the above and...i dunno if anyone mentioned this yet, i read them all and didnt notice it, but i LOVED how the building always literally rocked a bit when the place got ridiculously crazy. Like in the leafs series and a few times after that, you could pretty much feel the place moving. that was pretty ****ing awesome.
It rocked.

Shame on Nassau County's inept, bloated politicians.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:12 PM
stranger34

Everything :-(

It is the last of a dying breed. A fan first facility owned by a community

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Mirasty91

I love the old barn, I really do. Sure, it's run down, but man is it such a great place to watch a game. The sight lines are the best of any arena I've been to. How loud that place gets when it's really rocking. That buzz in the crowd on opening night or for a big game. Seeing people you met at other games and stopping to talk for a little bit. Tailgating. Walking through the parking lot and heckling the Ranger fans on the nights they were in town. The history in that building....all that history. I will miss the Coliseum, I'm very upset that we're leaving, but we all know it was time for something new. I'm just glad we're in New York. That being said, we have 3 years left in the Coli, let's go out with a BANG! What better way to close out our home than to have it rockin like the old days? And once these 3 years are up, it's time to make our history in Brooklyn, make that arena special like the Coliseum, raise a new banner to the roof of our new home, next to the ones from our old house.

Mirasty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Do I have some good memories in that building? Sure. But the last great memory I have was 10 years ago. Time to move on.

I get the whole sentiment of "it was a dump but it was our dump". Yea, I get that. But let's call it what it was. A complete and absolute dump. I for one will not be sad to see it go... aside from the sightlines like you all have already stated. The sightlines were great.

And while I agree the building rocked when full, I have a strong feeling the Barclay's will be just as loud if not louder. It's a compact, intimate building with seating that is steep and straight up compared to other new buildings that are more spread out. The acoustics in that building will be awesome.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
All the memories at the Coliseum that I've had over the years, even bringing my witch ex GF to games with my family But really, I will always love the Coliseum and I'm tearing up a bit thinking about it now.

I would have to say the one thing I loved most about the Coliseum is walking inside and knowing all the history that took place inside of there with the Islanders. It's going to be hard leaving all the history in that building behind, but ultimately it's time to turn a new chapter for this franchise and get out of a building that has been more of a curse and a reminder of the glorious past than anything for a long long time now. I'm excited to hopefully make some history in Barclays and hopefully do it before the Nets do

Other little things:

Honking after the game

Knowing that, no matter how many Rag fans were at the game, it was still our territory

Hanging out outside during intermissions with my parents and waiting in line to piss in the trailer

I could go on and on but these are some things that came to mind, I'll miss the place to death but I think we all know that this move is for the best.
This pretty much says it all. I've been going to Islander's games at the Coliseum since 1979 (I was 16), and even though it was a dump, impossible to walk around the concourse when packed, the food was awful (since at least 2000), it was still a magical place for me. I still got excited every time I walked into the arena and saw the ice, I still loved watching the pre game skate. I was so lucky last year, went to only 2 games, but one was Oct 15th (I think) against the Rangers when John Tavares scored a hat trick, and then the other, they totally dominated the Sabres in January (January 15th I believe, 4-2 win). It was always a special feeling for me to be at the Coliseum, I never had season tickets, so I usually went to 2-10 games a year from 1979-1999 (moved to California in 1999) and 2006-2012. So i cherished every game I was at.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post

Other little things:

Honking after the game

Every point you made is valid. Except for the one I bolded.

In the last few years especially, I did NOT feel it was our territory when the rags were in the building. When the rags would score and the place erupted it was a horrible, sinking feeling. One that unfortunately will not be cured by a move to Brooklyn.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
LongIslandCircus

I was there for my first time last year and despite the run-down state of the building... I absolutely loved it. Great history, fans and sightlines. Very glad I was able to catch a game before the move to Brooklyn.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:37 PM
LongIslandCircus

I forgot to mention the mascot! I never understood the reason we have a Dragon, but watching that guy skate around the ice after an OT win was priceless. Worst stride I've ever seen.....but he somehow made it without taking out a cheerleader.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:40 PM
rambler725

i will miss the access to the very many bathrooms and delicious food offered through out the building

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:03 PM
No Need To Vanek

Having to piss in a trailer outside lol.
My family's season tickets in section 121 from 02-05.
Getting high fives from the players when I was younger. Asham and Jonnson were the best lol.
The hot pretzels, which are bomb.
The way the place sounded after the goal.
I basically grew up in the coliseum going there since I was one (93), about 20 times a year, so this is bitter sweet. As a season ticket holder to the Jets, I felt this way about Giants Stadium too.

No Need To Vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
I'm going to miss...

the Saturday drives from NJ.
showing up early to games and getting to meet players walking over from the Marriot.
$10 parking and Champs.
the smell of roasted nuts through the concourse.
the memories I made there dragging GF's along to watch games.
the yearly trip with all my debbies friends
seeing the same people everytime you go
matinee games the day after thanksgiving
pinhead from loudville
goldie
NO CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP!!! (It was always called NVMC).

most of all, the fact it was our place. No other professional franchises played there. It was the Mecca of everything Islanders. I know it's stupid, but our banners having to share real-estate with any other team is sac-religious in my opinion. For better or worse the NVMC is a the last of the great NHL buildings (forum, maple and boston gardens, spectrum), it's going to be sad to see it go.

***They better bring the organ along or i'm going to be pissed. Along with the tradition of the "boss-y!, D-P!, Roll-ie" chants.***

Last edited by Trumanperro: 10-25-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Isles Junkie

Going to Champions after the game. but there will be plenty of bar choices anyway.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
puckstopper55

Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Quote:
Originally Posted by _illicit_ View Post
It's been a while since I've been able to catch a game live, but I will always remember the guy with the shopping cart selling pretzels outside after the game.

Coming in a close 2nd/3rd Honking after the victories and how loud that barn got when it was packed.
This is my fondest memory of going to hockey games as a little kid. I liked hockey, but at 5 years old you didnt know too much, but you did know that if you were well behaved you got a shopping cart pretzel that was cooked over charcoal.

It has a very distinct smell and to this day when I smell it, it invokes great memories.

puckstopper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:23 PM
rmaher07

I remember one game I went to w/ my dad - Elvis night! I think the Isles played the Canucks! Where else are you going to see 1000 Elvis impersonators (besides Vegas)? LOL.

Although I wasn't at the game, the Shawn Bates Penalty Shot! I've never heard the Coliseum ramp up so much ever! That was Epic! I get goose bumps just thinking about it!

I remember an flyers Isles home opener - row full of flyer fans starting fights with row full of isles fans - last row!

My Bachelor party started at Isles home opener 2007 vs. Buffalo - Great game, Isles won!! I don't remember much else

Many many many memories, but the tradition will continue and the team can finally start building a future in Brooklyn! Screw Nassau

rmaher07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaher07 View Post
I remember one game I went to w/ my dad - Elvis night! I think the Isles played the Canucks! Where else are you going to see 1000 Elvis impersonators (besides Vegas)? LOL.

Although I wasn't at the game, the Shawn Bates Penalty Shot! I've never heard the Coliseum ramp up so much ever! That was Epic! I get goose bumps just thinking about it!

I remember an flyers Isles home opener - row full of flyer fans starting fights with row full of isles fans - last row!

My Bachelor party started at Isles home opener 2007 vs. Buffalo - Great game, Isles won!! I don't remember much else

Many many many memories, but the tradition will continue and the team can finally start building a future in Brooklyn! Screw Nassau
I was at that game! I think it was around 97. The game was only like two minutes old when that brawl took place. I can't imagine taking a 4 hour bus ride to a game only to get thrown out that quickly, but that's fans from Philly for you. And we actually won as well. Great times.

Giuseppe Franco is online now   Reply With Quote