HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Moving to Montreal (urgent less then a month)

Old
10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Habitants

vCash: 500
If you work in Boucherville and she works downtown move to south shore.

trust me.

-rent will be cheaper

-getting to work for you will be easier with your car. you will probably have free parking at work and not have to deal with crossing the river.

take somewhere close to metro will be perfect for her, or even most of the RTL busses go straight downtown during rush hour and stop at terminus centre ville which is one metro from square victoria.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:42 PM
ClasslessGuy

Alright, talked with my boss and everything is confirmed now i'm moving out of Gatineau!

I'm doing in the process of finding an appartement. She's starting her job on monday nov 19th. I start overthere when I wan't and can.

I have a couple a friends in montreal so I don't know if I look for place for december first or try to find something right in the middle of november.

My choice now is Longueuil thanks to you guy and my friends over there. I'm looking for something walking distance (or short bus trip) from the metro.

Thank you guys and if you see something or have a couple of building/streets close to the metro in Longueuil, help me because I don't know a single street name ...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Wait until they completely shut down the Henri-Bourassa overpass. Should be soon, the detours are almost completely built.
Really ? I use the Pie-IX route from Laval every day. In spite of some construction going on now, it's not too bad since I'm driving around 8:45 (a bit off hour).

Where do you hear that ? And do you know when the detours will start ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Madevilz

Not certain, but anything near metro longueuil should be fairly expensive.

There are plenty of cheap condos here in Brossard, near the Terminus Chevrier which has express buses going straight to downtown. It's also about 20 min drive from Boucherville.

Plus you are right beside Habs' practice center

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Habitants

http://www.rtl-longueuil.qc.ca/fr-CA.../carte-reseau/

that is the south shore transit map

as i said most buses go straight downtown during rush hour, so thre are different options for your GF.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
ClasslessGuy

Another thing

You can buy a bus pass + metro pass right? There's a pass that include both?

From what I understand the price depends on where you live?

Old
10-22-2012, 03:06 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Another thing

You can buy a bus pass + metro pass right? There's a pass that include both?

From what I understand the price depends on where you live?
Yes, Tram Zone 3 (Metro + Bus) 117$
RTL (only South Shore Bus) 84.50$
http://www.rtl-longueuil.qc.ca/fr-CA/tarifs/

http://www.amt.qc.ca/titres_tarifs/
http://www.amt.qc.ca/uploadedImages/...faire-2012.jpg

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:38 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Really ? I use the Pie-IX route from Laval every day. In spite of some construction going on now, it's not too bad since I'm driving around 8:45 (a bit off hour).

Yeah, they've been doing a decent job to not create massive traffic. It might get bad when they demolish the "viaduc" but I'm hoping it's well planned.

In any case, I enter the 125 at the last entrance before the bridge and get out directly to go Henri Bourassa towards the West. So it shouldn't affect me that much.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

I live by the bridge so I see the evolution everyday. I believe the "arrondissement" wanted to be done with the detours before the end of the year. One branch is already operational. The branch from Pie-IX northward towards Henri-Bourassa/the bridge is almost done (they need to configure the Henri-Bourassa intersection) and the last one is the exit of the bridge to Henri-Bourassa, although the construction is moving at a good pace.

All in all, I believe traffic shouldn't be too much of a concern but I assume a lot of it moved towards the 25. Here is a link to the project. It's nice because it's the first step towards a revitalized Montreal-Nord.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Vieux-Longueuil won't be cheap within walking distance of the Metro.

I'd take a look at this place personally: http://location.duproprio.com/3-et-d...province-74775

Bit on the small side, but it's in a great location, fits your budget, and is available when you need it to be. Also kinda cool that it has garden access (a massive rarity) and is divided on 2 floors. It's right at the beginning of the Vieux, very close to Metro. Also cool that it has a furnished option which could help out at first.

You don't know this maybe, but St-Charles street is a very cool street to be near. Active hip nightlife with terraces and restaurants + fine grocers, chocolate etc.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 12:37 PM
ClasslessGuy

2 visits tomorrow night: 1 on boul nobert and the 2nd one on rue st-georges corner of desaulniers

Old
10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Serious HABit

longueuil brah.

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
South shore is where it is at for you like the others have said.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:56 PM
mlandry

Less than a month is urgent? A few years ago I moved from NB to QC (montreal; ended up being longueuil) with 1 week notice. I got there with my uhaul packed without a place to live rofl.

But yeah it seems you have it all set up already. Have fun with the daily 1 hour commutes each way!

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
2 visits tomorrow night: 1 on boul nobert and the 2nd one on rue st-georges corner of desaulniers
Nobert is getting kinda ghetto-ish, and I'd avoid. St-Georges isn't amazing, but you're a lot closer to the good area so it could be decent... would have to see in person. You have to be careful in Longueuil, especially as someone not from around here, as there are a lot of really ****** areas. And this is coming from someone who's lived in St-Henri Montreal. I know what ****** is.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:04 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
Nobert is getting kinda ghetto-ish, and I'd avoid. St-Georges isn't amazing, but you're a lot closer to the good area so it could be decent... would have to see in person. You have to be careful in Longueuil, especially as someone not from around here, as there are a lot of really ****** areas. And this is coming from someone who's lived in St-Henri Montreal. I know what ****** is.
Thank you, 2nd one look almost perfect (on pictures), first one was just to book a second visit that night but we'll see.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:10 PM
ClasslessGuy

We will take the 4 1/2 on saint-georges. Place is average outside but the appartment is brand new inside.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Just checked pics, looks good... bathroom is cozy, good sq.ft, no carpet, open dining/kitchen.

Were you able to verify soundproofing? That'd be my only concern really. Well that and annoying neighbors, but there's no way to know that part until you've been living there for a while unfortunately.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:11 AM
ClasslessGuy

I had to wait 20-30 min for the owner. Not a lot of noise outside arround 8:30-9:30 at night. Everybody was home in the appartment over us and we didn't hear a thing.

Owner runs a credit check, reference check, don't want any animals at all. He ask if we were quiet because he never had a problem with any other resident. I felt like it was a good building.

Outside is ugly but inside they just putted 30 000$ in the 4 1/2. For the price and size it's really nice. 10-15 min walk from the metro. 5 min from the crossfit gym!

Took me 3h yesterday from ottawa to montreal and I took the 417-20-15 to the Champlain bridge. Was in traffic arround 5:00 but 3h is not bad.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Uber Coca

700 - 800$ range you get an appartement on the Plateau or in Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie which are the best places to live in Montreal. You get to be on the island and within minutes of ''the Big City''.

If it's one year, you also get a taste of the Montrealer life.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
700 - 800$ range you get an appartement on the Plateau or in Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie which are the best places to live in Montreal. You get to be on the island and within minutes of ''the Big City''.

If he and his GF want to start a family later on, or a surprise occurs, $700-800 is not enough for an appartment in the Plateau. About $100 or so short, and that's just a 3 1/2 - 4 1/2.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post

Understand, but I work in Boucherville

Old
10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
And this is coming from someone who's lived in St-Henri Montreal. I know what ****** is.
Im moving to St-Henri from the Mile-End in december. St-Antoine/Atwater. Its not that bad is it?

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
ClasslessGuy

Any comments on the gym club sprint action where you pay time inside the gym and not a fee every month?

Old
10-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Zubban View Post
Im moving to St-Henri from the Mile-End in december. St-Antoine/Atwater. Its not that bad is it?
I was there like 10 years ago, and it was already getting better... but I wouldn't go back to what it was then. I've heard it's continued to get better and is now decent, but I haven't been able to verify that myself. I mean, it wasn't HORRIBLE or anything and nothing untoward ever occurred to us directly, but it was still being in proximity to a variety of things I'd rather not be in proximity to lol. I grew up and have lived in NYC at various moments of my life, and I have friends in the Bronx... I'm not a giant wuss who's afraid of shadows or anything, but hearing gunshots from a few blocks away just isn't all that cool. It happened a few times and there are definitely some shady types.

One of our neighbors beat the ever-living crap out of the other (he deserved it, was apparently beating his gf) which was interesting. There were a few massive drug busts/raids on our block... like 15 cop cars (srsly) blocking the whole area for hours. Our neighbor across the back alley had two big pitbulls who'd periodically escape and roam around scaring everyone. They knew me so I would actually bring them back to him, but he was usually too drunk to notice/care. They'd kill cats all the time, too. We had a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler with us, and I'm just gonna say I was happy we did. It'd have been a much different experience for us without them, in terms of freedom (going out to buy smokes at night, say) and just general confidence. No one bothers you if you have big dogs. A lot of people in the area did.

But you know, that was my little area. Some looked better, though some worse... and it's been a while. St-Antoine/Atwater is fine I'd think, I was more West deep into it whereas you'll be right at the beginning, and ten years is enough time for a lot to change. Enjoy New System (local St-Hubert chicken imitation), I miss their little orange cars of goodness sometimes, lol. I'd love to have them here... especially the 7 days a week delivery to like 2am. So damn convenient! And Marché Atwater of course, so much more awesome than a regular grocery store.

Last edited by Stasis: 10-25-2012 at 09:40 PM.