HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Official "Ottawa RedBlacks" Thread Part I: "Embarrassing Logo" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
I mean legal within the CFL's own rules. I'm sure the CFL including Saskatchewan doesn't want the courts to get involved in an internal trademark war which they could easily lose.

From what I've read (real or not I don't know) the Saskatchewan Roughriders have demanded and been promised a CFL veto on another team using the name Rough Riders. They won't approve the team joining the league if they try to use that name or even just Riders. I don't know if that veto right is clearly spelled out by the CFL to include variations of the name like Ryders or even close names like the ones I suggested earlier Raiders, Rough Raiders or Ryders.
I don't know how they would expect to win that case. Ottawa had claim to the name first. The name's rights were held by the previous ownership and sold to hunt, so while the name was inactive I don't think they ever gave up the right to use it. If anything Ottawa should be demanding that Saskatchewan change their team's name.

Personally I could care less what the team is called. I just don't see how the organization who used the name first is banned from using it if they want.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

vCash: 500
The reinstatement o a team in Ottawa was in part conditional on them not using that name or a variation, so no Ryders, Riderz or Rye-theirs. Time to move on from that debate. As much as it sucks, it's case closed.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
The reinstatement o a team in Ottawa was in part conditional on them not using that name or a variation, so no Ryders, Riderz or Rye-theirs. Time to move on from that debate. As much as it sucks, it's case closed.
Except it's not at all.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Except it's not at all.
Alright

Old
10-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Red Rocket

Ok, I am going to throw a name in just for kicks. The "Ottawa Mufferaws".

The name is catchy, has historical meaning related to the lumber trade and strongly references one of Ottawa's true folk heroes. It should also appeal to the french community.

I think it is badass.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Quote:
Alright
I'm just saying that Hunt could call it the Riders and if he pushed hard enough it would be approved.

For the record, I prefer Highlanders.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9

The Saab's. It can really help strengthen Ottawa's Swedish connections.

Completely unbiased

Old
10-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I'm just saying that Hunt could call it the Riders and if he pushed hard enough it would be approved.

For the record, I prefer Highlanders.
Thanks, although ideally I would myself prefer Rough Riders Mr. Hunt has indicated though that they're over legal matters and will not seek to get into a dispute with Saskatchewan. While their preferences is a name beginning with an R, I haven't found many names relevant outside of Raftsmen, which while relevant, in my opinion, doesn't sound very... Not sure what word I'm looking for.

In searching for a new name and brand, we put all constraints aside to try and find the most fitting name, not only in sound and resonance but in meaning and relevance.

The R is and always will be an iconic mark in Ottawa, as the =O= was (that fact isn't lost on me :p), but there is often times place to create a new, timeless brand. While longevity is, obviously, a big part of that, when done properly, a new mark can just as well, over time, become as iconic.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:13 AM
kbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post

The name is catchy, has historical meaning related to the lumber trade and strongly references one of Ottawa's true folk heroes. It should also appeal to the french community.

I think it is badass.
again...

Trasna ort féin!

Old
10-24-2012, 08:14 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post

I think it is badass.
Yeah but how long before someone shortens it to the Ottawa Muffs? Pass.

10-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Isn't there some RSU members here? Give those fellas a couple of cold ones and they'll come up with something great!
Please don't involve them. The last thing we need is their you're-a-worse-fan-because-you-don't-cheer-as-loudly-as-we-do mentality permeating another sport.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
SelleckStache

Log Drivers!

Old
10-24-2012, 07:05 PM
enviro61

I appreciate your hard work and dedication; however, I'm not convinced on the name. It just doesn't do it for me. The history is nice though few will care to research that and soon forget it so it should not be a determining factor. Having said that, I do like the Camerons (though I am sure there are other interesting names out there) as someone else mentioned and I like the idea of a sword being part of the logo like the Buffalo Sabres logo. Swords are cool, nuff said.

Ottawa Swashbucklers

Last edited by enviro61: 10-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Really dig the H-O helmet. Good stuff!

Old
10-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I get a feeling this might be more popular... Thoughts?
its better. but as i said, you shouldnt change the jersey.
the other logo is cool, but this (H-O) one is awesome.

i guess get rid of the other one. (in the uniform)
do CFL teams even have 2nd logos? i guess they have "word" logos but its basically the same...

and is there a way to see other official propositions or they havent been announced?

Old
10-24-2012, 09:32 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Yeah but how long before someone shortens it to the Ottawa Muffs? Pass.
that's actually something i was thinking about for the highlanders.

3-syllable or longer names need a shortened form. What would ours be? Highs? Landers? Lands? None make the slightest bit of sense.

10-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Made CBC News Ottawa tonight! And it begins... (Hopefully) :p

Old
10-24-2012, 10:53 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Made CBC News Ottawa tonight! And it begins... (Hopefully) :p

I've been sharing the facebook page around. I'm amazed it's already at 500 likes and counting over the course of 3 days...

Old
10-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post

I've been sharing the facebook page around. I'm amazed it's already at 500 likes and counting over the course of 3 days...
Thanks for the help, it really is appreciated. The response has been overwhelmingly (is that a word) positive

Old
10-25-2012, 08:24 AM
enviro61

Why have you only chosen to go with 1 name and promote it exclusively? You have the artistic ability and connections now to consider a few different concepts and offer them up to the masses.

You have a historical name, why not consider a 'fun' name/theme (like Raptors of Toronto) and a nature name/theme (Bobcats or some indigenous specis that sounds cool) and develop a theme, logo etc around that. The reality is, they want to sell this brand to the families and kids and going with a historical name while cool to historians and older people is useless for families and young kids (know your target market). Just speaking the truth.

If I was in charge of choosing the name from a business perspective and selling a brand, Highlanders would be pretty far down the list.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
The reality is, they want to sell this brand to the families and kids and going with a historical name while cool to historians and older people is useless for families and young kids (know your target market). Just speaking the truth.
No, the reality is that they're selling football, regardless of the name. They could be called the Ottawa Polished Turds - it's still football. The people who decide to support the CFL contingent on the name being "fun" are the same breed of idiots you see posting on Facebook on Christmas morning, griping about how sad they are that they got the black iPhone instead of the white iPhone. The people who are more concerned with vanity and appearance than actual substance need not be considered nor catered to.

The Senators have a 'historical' name too. How many kids do you see at games who are bored because the name wasn't fun enough for them? How many times in the last 20 years have you heard someone say "Gosh, I'd like to see a hockey game, but with a name like Senators, there's no way I'd enjoy myself"

Old
10-25-2012, 08:56 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
No, the reality is that they're selling football, regardless of the name. They could be called the Ottawa Polished Turds - it's still football. The people who decide to support the CFL contingent on the name being "fun" are the same breed of idiots you see posting on Facebook on Christmas morning, griping about how sad they are that they got the black iPhone instead of the white iPhone. The people who are more concerned with vanity and appearance than actual substance need not be considered nor catered to.

The Senators have a 'historical' name too. How many kids do you see at games who are bored because the name wasn't fun enough for them? How many times in the last 20 years have you heard someone say "Gosh, I'd like to see a hockey game, but with a name like Senators, there's no way I'd enjoy myself"
Totally disagree. The people who want to see a football game will go whether they are called the Ottawa Turds or the Ottawa Highlanders or Ottawa Demonslayers. You don't need to market the game to these people because they love the game regardless of the team name, pretty logos or its ability to win a cup every year.

To grow the game and attract the casual fan and family you need to market the whole product, name logo etc and make it fun. You may not like it but that is the truth and to ignore that would be financially stupid and you would lose your job asap.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
To grow the game and attract the casual fan and family you need to market the whole product, name logo etc and make it fun. You may not like it but that is the truth and to ignore that would be financially stupid and you would lose your job asap.
The Senators have had no problem growing the game and attracting casual fans and families despite their historic, non-fun name. And they have to do 41 times a year, in the winter, with a drive all the way across town. Who exactly got fired over the name of our NHL team?

Old
10-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Totally disagree. The people who want to see a football game will go whether they are called the Ottawa Turds or the Ottawa Highlanders or Ottawa Demonslayers. You don't need to market the game to these people because they love the game regardless of the team name, pretty logos or its ability to win a cup every year.

Disagree, this ownership group is in it for the long run. A cheap cash grab won't cut it. Not saying that's would you're suggesting, but while it will be a new name, it has to be something that grows with the fans, something timeless and something relevant to Ottawa. In my opinion, you used the worst example as Raptors isn't a very popular name in Toronto and, quite frankly, is a pretty ridiculous name.

I don't think the name will change much for kids, as long as the game day experience has something for them and that can be done regardless of the brand.

For your other question, while it is part of my profession to suggest concepts, we felt this was by far the best option, all things considered. Keep in mind that while we released it a few days ago, we've been working on this since october 2011, so I assure you we did the proper exercise in searching for a relevant name in brand.

That being said, some are bound to not like it wether it's Highlanders, Cobras, Carebears etc. That's the name of the game and that's fine.

I will say that the response so far has exceeded our expectations in a very positive way. There will be other name suggestions and I'm sure some will be very good. Looking forward to it

Old
10-25-2012, 09:24 AM
SNAPshot

Quote:
Why have you only chosen to go with 1 name and promote it exclusively? You have the artistic ability and connections now to consider a few different concepts and offer them up to the masses.

You have a historical name, why not consider a 'fun' name/theme (like Raptors of Toronto) and a nature name/theme (Bobcats or some indigenous specis that sounds cool) and develop a theme, logo etc around that. The reality is, they want to sell this brand to the families and kids and going with a historical name while cool to historians and older people is useless for families and young kids (know your target market). Just speaking the truth.

If I was in charge of choosing the name from a business perspective and selling a brand, Highlanders would be pretty far down the list.
I don't want to speak for Jerkstore, but there are a lot of hours spent in the thought process and the execution of a brand and it's various elements. I'm surprised at the amount of work he has put in already, especially when you think of the fact that he has to handle his regular workload on top of it.

The design process is a lot more complicated than some people think.

The name he has come up with has some backing to it, and although it's not as fun as the Ottawa Lucky Charms, if done properly (and it seems he's on the right track) even the casual fan will make it it's own.

Yes, a catchy name can help market the product, but in the world of sports, as some have mentionned before, the name will stick if the team, it's actions on the field, in the community and the buzz around the city are positive.

(Sorry if some of what I said was answered by Jerkstore directly, I was writing this and got sidelined at work!)

Closed Thread