HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The inevitable question: Now that the Islanders have an arena....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2012, 02:51 AM
  #26
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,002
vCash: 500
I think the Islanders will start attracting Free Agents if players see them not be a cap min team. I think the biggest turnoff for any player when it comes to the Islanders is you have to know that they won't do much unless they are willing to spend.

If the Islanders spend more then cap min they will come, if they continue being a cap min team then they will stay away

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:24 AM
  #27
TheZec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
I think the biggest problem wasn't the arena itself, but the fact that a player signing today, could end up living in Kansas City 2 years later. Wich is a risk some players (especially those with families) wouldn't have taken.

Now every player will know that the team will be locked in brooklyn for the next 25 years, on top of that in a new Arena. This will be a huge factor, IMO.

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:27 AM
  #28
giddy up
Registered User
 
giddy up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
I think the biggest problem wasn't the arena itself, but the fact that a player signing today, could end up living in Kansas City 2 years later. Wich is a risk some players (especially those with families) wouldn't have taken.

Now every player will know that the team will be locked in brooklyn for the next 25 years, on top of that in a new Arena. This will be a huge factor, IMO.
Bingo

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:22 AM
  #29
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,185
vCash: 500
Charles Wang is still the owner.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:40 AM
  #30
Falconator
Registered User
 
Falconator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Win baby...just win! That's what attracts free agents.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:46 AM
  #31
NYVanfan
Registered User
 
NYVanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,056
vCash: 500
Theyre now closer to manhattan than the devils ...theyre on the 2 express train...
Living in the city, im totally psyched about this....cant imagine it doesnt make a difference for rich young athletes to be so close, its always been part of the rangers' allure, even when they were terrible

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:58 AM
  #32
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,340
vCash: 270
The Isles would be a decent team to go to now, they have a good prospect pool... They just need a definite number one goalie, this Arena should help a lot though.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
  #33
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,379
vCash: 643
The arena was only 1 of several major issues plaguing that franchise. This is a start to move them in the right direction.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:43 AM
  #34
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
you have apparently never been to the north shore of Nassau, LI. Absolutely beautiful homes and area.

The arena will hopefully bring in more customers will will hopefully bring in more money which will hopefully be spent on a better team.
And the City of Detroit is a giant wasteland. But the team is in a stable situation and there are nice places to live outside of the city.

Players haven't wanted to sign with the Isles because they might be in Seattle or Quebec to Houston the next season. Now they're locked down, in a better arena and should pull in more revenue. Which means better players and more winning.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:49 AM
  #35
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon
 
Jack Donaghy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
you have apparently never been to the north shore of Nassau, LI. Absolutely beautiful homes and area.

The arena will hopefully bring in more customers will will hopefully bring in more money which will hopefully be spent on a better team.
Yeah, but it's still suburbia. If you're into city life at all, where are you gonna go? Hempstead?

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
  #36
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
....will they be a team that attracts free agents?
And even more in depth, will free agents come in the next two offseasons or wait until the offseason before the move (2015-2016)?

Discuss....
By now, we have all seen that location makes no difference to free agents. How well the organization is run makes the difference.

Why else would a player choose Detroit over Miami or Phoenix?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:04 AM
  #37
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,800
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
By now, we have all seen that location makes no difference to free agents. How well the organization is run makes the difference.
Very well said. Ownership and management need to get their act together and then the franchise will be attractive.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:07 AM
  #38
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,298
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
You cannot deny the fact that the arena will at least help along the process. Just keep building a good foundation and this team is on the rise. I could see a couple awesome FAs going there in 3-4 years.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
  #39
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,800
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
You cannot deny the fact that the arena will at least help along the process. Just keep building a good foundation and this team is on the rise. I could see a couple awesome FAs going there in 3-4 years.
It may. It depends on how the team is run. If the team doesn't win, fans are not going to come (especially when there's going to be an increase in ticket prices, concessions, parking, etc). It doesn't matter what building they play in. The Mets saw the novelty and interest in Citi Field dry up pretty quick.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
  #40
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,042
vCash: 500
I'm sure NVMC was a reason players didn't sign here. But the team sucking for the better part of 20 years is the real reason no one signs there.

The Islanders have a great prospect pool. They have to make a trade for a big player to pair with JT. you do that and you turn an already really good 1st line into a great 1st line. Then a UFA 2nd line center won't scoff at the idea of signing there.

Before FAs are attracted to the team, the Isles will need to show them something & that means they're going to have to trade for someone. Relying on prospects only will never work.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
  #41
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
I think the biggest problem wasn't the arena itself, but the fact that a player signing today, could end up living in Kansas City 2 years later. Wich is a risk some players (especially those with families) wouldn't have taken.

Now every player will know that the team will be locked in brooklyn for the next 25 years, on top of that in a new Arena. This will be a huge factor, IMO.
This is the main factor, which leads to a bunch of other factors:

1. Fans will no longer sitt on their money because they feel uncertain about the team's future.

2. The fact that the team has locked up their core (Tavares, Nielsen, Okposo, Grabner, Martin, Moulson to a lesser extent) means that there will be a perception that there is a team to build around.

3. By 2013-2014 you can add a bumper crop of prospects all of whom will be ready or nearly ready - Strome, Nino, Reinhart, Donovan, Poulin, Nilsson, Nelson, Ullstrom, and Cizikas. There will be absolutely no need for bottom-6 forwards on this team. There will be defensive depth. The team will have two clear needs: a top line RW, and a top-pairing D. At the end of the 2014 campaign there will also be a bumper crop of UFA's. I'd be shocked if the Islanders aren't a hot team going into that offseason.

Basically, I expect the free agent train to get rolling not after this season (if there is one), but before the 2014 season.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 AM
  #42
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,070
vCash: 500
The NHL is not the NBA. You don't see players coming out and saying that they chose to play somewhere because they get to be part of a stadium.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
  #43
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,815
vCash: 500
It's all part of the re-branding process. I think it'll help but, ultimately, winning will be the driving force

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:22 AM
  #44
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,298
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It may. It depends on how the team is run. If the team doesn't win, fans are not going to come (especially when there's going to be an increase in ticket prices, concessions, parking, etc). It doesn't matter what building they play in. The Mets saw the novelty and interest in Citi Field dry up pretty quick.
I definitely agree with you, but the reason I think it's different than Citi is because the significantly less amount of seats. I mean, this stadium is literally a 2 second walk from one of the subways, I believe (saw an interview on CNBC). That attraction right there might make the arena look bigger even if they still aren't drawing well.

But you make a good point on how important it is to win to attract the additional players. Especially role players.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:28 AM
  #45
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,800
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I definitely agree with you, but the reason I think it's different than Citi is because the significantly less amount of seats. I mean, this stadium is literally a 2 second walk from one of the subways, I believe (saw an interview on CNBC). That attraction right there might make the arena look bigger even if they still aren't drawing well.

But you make a good point on how important it is to win to attract the additional players. Especially role players.
My point about Citi is the Mets overestimated the draw of the new stadium — and the ticket prices showed it. And now the empty seats show it. For that matter, the ticket prices at Yankee Stadium have had an impact as well. Lots of empty seats during the playoffs.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
  #46
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,074
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
I think the biggest problem wasn't the arena itself, but the fact that a player signing today, could end up living in Kansas City 2 years later. Wich is a risk some players (especially those with families) wouldn't have taken.

Now every player will know that the team will be locked in brooklyn for the next 25 years, on top of that in a new Arena. This will be a huge factor, IMO.
I agree that the lingering questions of where they'd end up was probably one of the biggest hindrances to attracting UFAs, if not the biggest. Sure, winning matters, but we're also coming off an offseason where the two biggest UFAs signed with an organization that hasn't won a playoff series since the 2002-03 season, and hasn't qualified for the playoffs in six of the last eight seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
By now, we have all seen that location makes no difference to free agents. How well the organization is run makes the difference.

Why else would a player choose Detroit over Miami or Phoenix?
I disagree that it makes zero difference. Buffalo frequently loses out on top-tier free agents because of their location, even now when we have a great owner. Buffalo will never net the Zach Parises and Brad Richards of the world due, in no small part, because of where they're located and the type of city Buffalo is.

And I think the Detroit v Miami/Phoenix comparison is a tad disingenuous. While Detroit is not a nice city and they have a winning tradition over the last couple decades, they're also an Original Six franchise which has some allure. Further, many players don't sign in Phoenix because, like the Islanders, they have no clue where the franchise may be in a year or two. Also, players probably don't want to play in front of a half-empty arena 41 nights a year.
_____

I think, overall, this is a couple steps in the right direction for the Isles. Their location is now stable. They're much closer to Manhattan, and that's an advantage when it comes to attracting players. They'll also be playing in a modern, state-of-the-art arena, and will probably be able to pack the house on most nights.

They'll need to improve in the standings, certainly, to gain further credibility, but I don't think you can discount location and facilities in the analysis of what players may be looking at when considering the Islanders now.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
  #47
Bryzard of Oz
Registered User
 
Bryzard of Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Sure they will be closer, but it isn't like they could not have already been living outside of right next to the arena. Most of the Wings live upwards of at least 20 to 30 minutes commute from the Joe Louis.
Living in downtown Detroit? Not sure if serious...

Bryzard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
  #48
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,772
vCash: 0
Obviously winning solves everything, but the state of the franchise has to be a factor. No one wants to sign a long term deal only to move their family across North America half way through the deal.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:21 AM
  #49
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,732
vCash: 50
Winning and money are two things that will always attract free agents.

Winning might be a couple years off, but looking at the collected youth...It's going to happen eventually, my guess is the next year or two.

Money is a different matter. Wang is still in charge, and my opinion of him has been that of a cheapskate. I could be totally wrong, or maybe the new arena will spur him to do right by his team, but I know him for the Doug Weight style, short term, high cap hit, low salary type deals, or the Snow/DiPietro thing, but he has landed a few big name free agents, Boyes and Streit being among them.

Spending money, not necessarily on players salaries, but with in the team for new/better facilities goes a long way too.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
  #50
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
I think it will have the inverse effect if it has any effect. We're talking about an arena that wasn't made for hockey at all and will most likely feel awkward to play in. I feel free agents avoid the Islanders mainly because of management and Mr. Wang's hockey reputation, not really where the team plays or is located.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.