HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Messier Endorses National Ice Center for the Bronx (9 Rinks)

Old
08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkt2299 View Post
If this goes thru, the management better set up some serious security. The neighborhood kids are just waiting to break into all of the Westchester and Manahttan cars that park in front of this arena. I work in this 'hood and make sure I am off the streets early in the morning before the crackheads and gangsters wake up. I'm all for ice rinks, but I wouldn't take my kids there. At least not until security was beefed up significantly.
There was a rink in South London that's not there anymore, but I went there a few times for hockey games when I was a kid. We weren't allowed to get off the bus and go into the rink until all the public from the skating session had left the building, for our own safety, incase someone thought we had looked at them funny. I **** you not, that was the actual reason they gave us.

One time we went there, our game was cancelled because someone got shot

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Abe Stark is in Coney Island right on the borderline of the part of Coney Island you don't want to be in. I'm really careful about where I park my cars but I parked brand new Lexuses there for years with no problems for youth hockey games. Groups of stick wielding hockey players aren't the locals first choice to mess around with. That being said I think nine rinks in the Bronx is a bankruptcy waiting to happen. I don't know how much government money will be involved here but I hope it's not a penny.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:08 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

I hate to say it but dkt2299 is probably right. I'm pretty familiar with that neighborhood and the only way that rink is going to be busy is if there's an armored convoy running routes from Westchester twice a day. Yeah, Fordham Prep and Fordham U will make good use of it and that's great but that's not enough to justify 9 rinks.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
Nine rinks? What for? Why would u need 9 rinks in the Bronx? Two would be more than enough nice idea to get inner city kids on the ice but they are still inner city kids they don't have the money to support a nine rink complex.

Pretty crazy if u ask me. Build some football fields basketball courts maybe a baseball diamond and a couple rinks but 9 hockey rinks? Craziness
You clearly don't understand...

And more basketball courts? Believe me, I'ved lived in the Bronx and there are PLENTY of basketball courts. More than enough to go around.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:52 AM
nyruss

Story on NHL.com today...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640722

nyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:23 AM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I hate to say it but dkt2299 is probably right. I'm pretty familiar with that neighborhood and the only way that rink is going to be busy is if there's an armored convoy running routes from Westchester twice a day. Yeah, Fordham Prep and Fordham U will make good use of it and that's great but that's not enough to justify 9 rinks.
You just epically proved that you you dont know squat about that neighborhood.
I live and work in the Bronx my entire life.
Monroe College is right across the street. Lehman College is less than a mile away.
There are no unique safety issues. Former Bronx Boro President Freddy Ferrer lived less than a block away.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:26 AM
RangerBlues

The Bronx Is Beautiful!

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
The Bronx Is Beautiful!

And judging from your avatar, who knows more about beauty than you?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Monroe College is right across the street. Lehman College is less than a mile away.
There are no unique safety issues. Former Bronx Boro President Freddy Ferrer lived less than a block away.
I went to FP for 4 years and than graduated from FU and have lived in the Bronx my entire life.

Lehman College has a thriving hockey program? No safety issues? Give me a break. Every student at Fordham University gets e-mail updates from campus security about muggings at least once a weekend, it happens so often that the students just joke about it now. The 16th district (of which that area is a part of) was rated the poorest congressional district in the country. Not in the city. Not in the state. Poorest in the country. I'm sure tons of people in that area are dying to pay $600 and up to get their children started in a sport that doesn't vaguely interest them.

One rink would have been great. Two rinks would have been nice. Nine rinks in that area is just hubris and asking for failure.

Last edited by StaalWars: 09-02-2012 at 02:24 PM.
StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:50 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Off the top of my head: Fordham Prep, Mt. St Michael, St. Raymonds, Spellman. Ok maybe not that many
I was a freshman at Spellman in 92 and tried to get them to reinstate the hockey team. Dean of the boys at that time was Mr. Opper, a huge Rangers fan. He told me to get more people interested. Got a group of 30 kids or so... and he got the ice time, but couldn't get the insurance lined up for next season. Following year, it was the opposite. They could have gotten the insurance, but they couldn't find a deal on regular ice time. And in my senior year, the interest waned too much. They ended up finally getting a team the year after I graduated. I don't think they have one any longer though, but I could be mistaken.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Fanned On It

Ok maybe 9 rinks IS a little excessive for the area, but it's definitely nice to get a rink there in general. I used to experience/be a part of some pretty bad things not even 4 blocks away from the armory... there is definitely an EXTREMELY seedy underbelly surrounding the area that probably not many of you know about/have experienced.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 02:20 PM
dkt2299

Quote:
Ranger Rules - I am not trying to offend you or the Bronx. I make my living there. I am in this area everyday. To say that "there are no unique safety issues" with the Bronx is being naive. Do you not think there is a difference between Chelsea Piers or Playland and the Bronx Armory? Please . . .
I hope they go thru with this project I just hope they know what they are up against.

Maybe the Islanders can play there.

dkt2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:00 AM
nyruss

From today's New York Daily News, the lead editorial.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/m...sEnabled=false

Old
09-25-2012, 08:03 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Here's the article:

Mayor Bloomberg's team must make the right choice for Kingsbridge Armory development
Proposed national ice center could be a crown jewel of the city if its business plan works
Michael Schwartz

City Hall is about to choose — or not — a developer who commits to turning the cavernous Kingsbridge Armory from a white elephant into an asset.

Mayor Bloomberg has been presented with two proposals — neither of them as bankable as the retail mall shot down three years ago by the misfeasance of Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz and the City Council. That $300 million plan, which included the creation of 1,000 construction jobs and 1,200 permanent positions, was an all but certain business proposition. Its potential replacements require leaps of faith.

While Diaz is desperate to recover from the blunder of killing the mall deal, Bloomberg and Economic Development Corp. President Seth Pinsky must refrain from handing over the armory for development until they have high confidence of long-term, roaring success.

The building is a sprawling hulk that has 110-foot-high ceilings and covers almost 5 acres. One contender would fill it with the world’s largest indoor ice sports center, complete with nine rinks. The other envisions a variety of enterprises, including a 4-D movie theater, a market for artisans and food vendors, a hip hop museum and sports facilities.

Gauging the merits is an exercise in guesswork. A partnership headed by former Wall Streeter Kevin Parker is backing the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Ex-Rangers star Mark Messier and Olympic figure skating gold medalist Sarah Hughes are on the team. The plan calls for investing $275 million to create a skating facility that would tap what the sponsors say is a huge unmet demand for ice time from professional, school and college hockey teams, as well as youth and adult recreational leagues.

The partnership says the demand will mean at least 2 million visitors a year — and enough revenue to finance construction and operating costs through rink, locker and equipment rentals, ticket sales to events, parking and other sources. Parker’s group also promises to establish a nonprofit organization that would raise donations to create a skating and hockey program for Bronx kids, modeled after a successful one started for inner-city youth in Philadelphia by Ed Snider, owner of the Flyers.

The second proposal, called Mercado Mirabo, is the brainchild of developer Young Woo, whose theory is that two midsize retail anchors, a movie multiplex including the city’s first 4-D equipped theater and a Crunch gym will support his $100 million construction plan. Beyond that, Woo would rent small pieces of the armory floor to entrepreneurs who would sell their own wares, such as designer clothing, jewelry, and arts and crafts. Similar expos have been popular in the Meatpacking District, at the DeKalb Market in Brooklyn and at the Union Square holiday market.

Woo also sees potential revenue in wall-climbing and in offering work space to startup entrepreneurs. What works would stay, what doesn’t would be replaced. In concept, bringing an ice sports mecca to the city is the more attractive of the proposals. But the question for Bloomberg and Pinsky is whether either proposal would be self-sustaining. The Bronx must not suffer another epic failure.

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

In the end, it all comes down to what will work. As the Daily News says, both proposals are interesting "But the question for Bloomberg and Pinsky is whether either proposal would be self-sustaining. The Bronx must not suffer another epic failure." (quoted from the editoral).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:15 AM
petejudge

you'd have to believe that if something like this goes through the security would be high. this is a neighborhood i'm fairly familiar with (not as much so as some others) and while i wouldn't say it has any "unique" safety concerns it's definitely not one of the safer areas of the city either. maybe the hope is that bringing something like this to the armory will help clean up the area at least a bit.

i think ice rinks in general are not doing so well right now, but since getting indoor ice time in new york city is close to impossible im sure there will be at least some demand for it. if this goes through theres gonna be rangers HF late night men's league at the armory in about 5 years

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:57 AM
theJUMPER

Sorry if I might be ruffling some feathers, but this "urban youth" initiative the NHL/hockey is taking is ridiculous.

How about setting a base where people will actually play. I'd kill if I had this access growing up in Suffolk County, NY in the late 90s. A lot of kids would when roller hockey was all we could play. And I'm sure that's the case for most of the northeast.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
Sorry if I might be ruffling some feathers, but this "urban youth" initiative the NHL/hockey is taking is ridiculous.

How about setting a base where people will actually play. I'd kill if I had this access growing up in Suffolk County, NY in the late 90s. A lot of kids would when roller hockey was all we could play. And I'm sure that's the case for most of the northeast.
This is not some rinky-dink NHL idea--this is about a developer who's put together a $300 Million plan to fill a building that covers over 5 acres and has a ceiling that is over 10 stories high. Do you really think someone who is going to sink that sum is doing it for anything other than to make money?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 04:56 AM
yankeecpt15

wow,, how many times did i stagger by there walking home from the archway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Here's the article:

Mayor Bloomberg's team must make the right choice for Kingsbridge Armory development
Proposed national ice center could be a crown jewel of the city if its business plan works
Michael Schwartz

City Hall is about to choose — or not — a developer who commits to turning the cavernous Kingsbridge Armory from a white elephant into an asset.

Mayor Bloomberg has been presented with two proposals — neither of them as bankable as the retail mall shot down three years ago by the misfeasance of Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz and the City Council. That $300 million plan, which included the creation of 1,000 construction jobs and 1,200 permanent positions, was an all but certain business proposition. Its potential replacements require leaps of faith.

While Diaz is desperate to recover from the blunder of killing the mall deal, Bloomberg and Economic Development Corp. President Seth Pinsky must refrain from handing over the armory for development until they have high confidence of long-term, roaring success.

The building is a sprawling hulk that has 110-foot-high ceilings and covers almost 5 acres. One contender would fill it with the world’s largest indoor ice sports center, complete with nine rinks. The other envisions a variety of enterprises, including a 4-D movie theater, a market for artisans and food vendors, a hip hop museum and sports facilities.

Gauging the merits is an exercise in guesswork. A partnership headed by former Wall Streeter Kevin Parker is backing the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Ex-Rangers star Mark Messier and Olympic figure skating gold medalist Sarah Hughes are on the team. The plan calls for investing $275 million to create a skating facility that would tap what the sponsors say is a huge unmet demand for ice time from professional, school and college hockey teams, as well as youth and adult recreational leagues.

The partnership says the demand will mean at least 2 million visitors a year — and enough revenue to finance construction and operating costs through rink, locker and equipment rentals, ticket sales to events, parking and other sources. Parker’s group also promises to establish a nonprofit organization that would raise donations to create a skating and hockey program for Bronx kids, modeled after a successful one started for inner-city youth in Philadelphia by Ed Snider, owner of the Flyers.

The second proposal, called Mercado Mirabo, is the brainchild of developer Young Woo, whose theory is that two midsize retail anchors, a movie multiplex including the city’s first 4-D equipped theater and a Crunch gym will support his $100 million construction plan. Beyond that, Woo would rent small pieces of the armory floor to entrepreneurs who would sell their own wares, such as designer clothing, jewelry, and arts and crafts. Similar expos have been popular in the Meatpacking District, at the DeKalb Market in Brooklyn and at the Union Square holiday market.

Woo also sees potential revenue in wall-climbing and in offering work space to startup entrepreneurs. What works would stay, what doesn’t would be replaced. In concept, bringing an ice sports mecca to the city is the more attractive of the proposals. But the question for Bloomberg and Pinsky is whether either proposal would be self-sustaining. The Bronx must not suffer another epic failure.

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:52 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
That main rink looks like it could house a D-1 team or an ECHL/AHL team. Is there anything in the works for that?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

Really hope it comes to fruition.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

This story is really pretty awesome. So great for the area, and the city. Give inner city kids somewhere to go, and watch the DRAMATIC impact it has on the rest of their lives.

Maybe the USA can produce some black hockey players, now.

Mike Grier is the only one I can think of. Who else?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
arunnair87

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I went to FP for 4 years and than graduated from FU and have lived in the Bronx my entire life.

Lehman College has a thriving hockey program? No safety issues? Give me a break. Every student at Fordham University gets e-mail updates from campus security about muggings at least once a weekend, it happens so often that the students just joke about it now. The 16th district (of which that area is a part of) was rated the poorest congressional district in the country. Not in the city. Not in the state. Poorest in the country. I'm sure tons of people in that area are dying to pay $600 and up to get their children started in a sport that doesn't vaguely interest them.

One rink would have been great. Two rinks would have been nice. Nine rinks in that area is just hubris and asking for failure.
Maybe the rinks will have payment programs. So you don't need to pay all upfront, but like 60 dollars/month for 10 months.

Hopefully they can make it work, I wouldn't mind going couple of times a week, the area is not as bad as people have said it is in this thread DURING THE DAY.

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:40 AM
nyruss

Bronx Borough President weighs in on hockey yesterday...

http://bronxboropres.nyc.gov/press/r...12-10-24a.html