HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Why do the owners despise the players instead of being grateful?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Pilky01

vCash: 500
Why do the owners despise the players instead of being grateful?

Simple question really. I mean, without the players, they don't even have a product that gives them the opportunity to make money.

Do they not realize that nobody shows up to an arena to watch an owner?

NHL players are the best hockey players in the world, and fans spend millions of dollars every year in order to watch these entertainers do what they do best.

Why don't the owners appreciate their talents and just realize that without the players, there is no profit to be made by anybody?

Old
10-25-2012, 08:09 AM
CerebralGenesis

Not bad. 4/10

Old
10-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Simple question really. I mean, without the players, they don't even have a product that gives them the opportunity to make money.

NHL players are the best hockey players in the world, and fans spend millions of dollars every year in order to watch these entertainers do what they do best.

Why don't the owners appreciate their talents and just realize that without the players, there is no profit to be made by anybody?
I go to the games to see the Los Angeles Kings. I cheer for whoever is playing for the Los Angeles Kings. I didn't care about Mike Richards or Jeff Carter until they were traded to the Kings. I don't care about Jack Johnson, even though he used to play for the Kings.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Los Angeles Kings fan.

When are the players going to realize that the fans pay their salaries and the owners gave them the best league in the world and made them multi-millionaires? NHL players are the best in the world because the NHL pays them the best in the world. If the European leagues could pay them more, they would be playing in Europe. They aren't in the NHL for charity, the players want to make the most money possible.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:18 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
What makes someone a Chicago Blackhawks fan instead of a Chicago Wolves fan?

Old
10-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Hanklite*

This again, awesome.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:

MOD

Doesn't matter how great the players are, if I am losing $10, $15 or $20 million a year, I have no interest in keeping that disaster going in its current form.

Better question: Why do the players hate the owners? - the ones that make them multi-millioniares? Not only do they not care if the owners are losing a bundle, they say some pretty distasteful stuff in the media about them.

Last edited by Fugu: 10-25-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: ...
Old
10-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Except from the myriad of other businesses they own.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Are you really that naive?

Doesn't matter how great the players are, if I am losing $10, $15 or $20 million a year, I have no interest in keeping that disaster going in its current form.

Better question: Why do the players hate the owners? - the ones that make them multi-millioniares? Not only do they not care if the owners are losing a bundle, they say some pretty distasteful stuff in the media about them.
So then eliminate the salary cap, in turn eliminating the floor, allowing teams to spend however much they are capable/willing to.

The problem of the owners are the result of their desire for "cost certainty", so really, when "cost certainty" is your goal, the old "the owners take all the risk" doesn't hold any weight, because they are trying to rig the system so that they take no risk at all.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Don't want to drag you down......in some arena, nobody shows up.....at all....not even for the players so.......

Old
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:

And without the organization and the infrastructure that the owners have, the players wouldn't see nearly half the money they get in their pockets.

The artists working for Le Cirque du Soleil are the best in the world, Le Cirque earns a ton of revenues and yet their artists aren't paid anything close to NHL players.

Players and owners both need each other.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Because the Chicago Blackhawks can pay the best players in the world and the Chicago Wolves can not. If the Chicago Wolves could pay higher than NHL salaries, they would be the top team and the Chicago Blackhawks would be the lesser team.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Pepper

Quote:
History of the team and the history of the league.

Put Kane and Toews in to Wolves and they are still an AHL team.

Players are not the product. The team is the product and that's why people are still fans of their NHL teams despite players changing all the time.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:04 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
If the Chicago Wolves had exactly the same roster as the Chicago Blackhawks, would they generate as much revenue?

Old
10-25-2012, 09:06 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Not sure how to answer a question with a false premise....

Old
10-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Cawz

Quote:

Considering they are offering to pay them millions of dollars, wouldn’t that indicate that they appreciate their talents?

They despise the players the same way a parent despises a bratty kid… oh wait, they don’t. They just get frustrated sometimes when the kids make stupid decisions when they run with a bad crowd.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Butch 19
Go cart Mozart

Quote:

umm, you are aware that many are just reversing your statement to be: Why do the players despise the owners instead of being grateful?

And of course the obvious: Why don't the players appreciate the owners risk (and $2.4m contracts btw) and just realize that without the owners, there is no profit to be made by anybody.

Yeah, this will change minds...

Old
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM
billy piton

Quote:

the point is, many of those owners don't make money, but loses.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:58 AM
billy piton

Quote:
So then eliminate the salary cap, in turn eliminating the floor, allowing teams to spend however much they are capable/willing to.
and then you have euro soccer where the most popular english premier league have 4 billion euros debt.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Buttonwood
$$$

vCash: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
History of the team and the history of the league.

Put Kane and Toews in to Wolves and they are still an AHL team.

Players are not the product. The team is the product and that's why people are still fans of their NHL teams despite players changing all the time.
Agreed. I grew up watching the Leafs and Habs on HNIC, those brands are ingrained in my brain, for better or worse. To this day I would still get excited to watch those teams, despite their relative futility in recent years.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Because the Chicago Blackhawks can pay the best players in the world and the Chicago Wolves can not. If the Chicago Wolves could pay higher than NHL salaries, they would be the top team and the Chicago Blackhawks would be the lesser team.
The answer is BOLDED.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Foot

Quote:

Players are replaceable. New stars come into the league every year. Hell the league survived without Sidney Crosby for a year.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Crease

Quote:

The problem of the owners are the result of their desire for "cost certainty", so really, when "cost certainty" is your goal, the old "the owners take all the risk" doesn't hold any weight, because they are trying to rig the system so that they take no risk at all.
Linkage at 50/50 doesn't eliminate all risk. There are costs other than player salaries associated with operating an NHL hockey team.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:26 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

This is a discussion non-business aspects of the lockout.

Please continue in megathread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1275169

Closed Thread