HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Why do the players despise the owners instead of being grateful?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
yes, but in the "real world" companies don't have a salary cap or salary floor...and employees aren't "drafted" into their company and required to work their for seven years before they can go elsewhere.
Yes many companies especially unionized ones do offer a salary cap and salary floor. It's called a salary scale. There is a minimum salary and a maximum salary for a position.

In terms of drafting let's not make it out that hockey players are endentured servents. If I'm drafted by an NHL team they own my hockey playing rights for the NHL and NHL afiliated leagues. If I want to go work at my uncle Frank's hardware store stacking paint cans I'n free to do so.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
You know, funny you should ask this. A couple of years ago or so, when the economy was at it's roughest, my colleagues at work and I were approached by our boss and asked to accept a rollback in our salaries. He said the reason he asked us this was to help keep the business afloat, and so that no one on the team would have to lose their jobs. No one was especially happy about it, but what we were happy about was keeping our jobs, so everyone agreed.

We had all signed our contracts, were asked to lose Z amount off of our contracts, but we did so for the good of the business. The business is now doing much better, and with the increased profits everyone's salaries were later restored to their original amounts.
Player salaries went from an average of 1.8 million to 1.4 million after he 04-05 lockout. Guess what, by 2008, the average salary was 1.9 million.

Yet those 2 years where the salary had dipped is used as a rallying cry by the NHLPA. Yep, those were pretty lean times. The dark ages. A great depression, which we should never forget, lest future generations suffer as we did. '06 was especially rough; '07 was a little better because we were averaging close to 1.7 million and were able to put food on the table regularly again. Rough times.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
yes, but in the "real world" companies don't have a salary cap or salary floor...and employees aren't "drafted" into their company and required to work their for seven years before they can go elsewhere.
Huh? A player who is drafted by an NHL team isn't required to work for the NHL for 7 years. He has no obligation to sign a contract with the NHL team that drafted him. He can go work anywhere he chooses. He can go sign in the KHL or another Europen league if he wants. There is zero obligation for him to go play in the NHL.

And yes I worked for a unionized grocery store for a while. Our CBA dictated exactly what an employee made based on how many hours they've worked. I had no expectations that I would be making just as much in teh next CBA simply cause that's what I had previously been making.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Megathread fodder.

Please continue in megathread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1275169

Closed Thread