HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Biggest Surprising/Disappointing Players.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Spitsfan67*

vCash: 500
Biggest Surprising/Disappointing Players.

For your team or others if you want, who has been a surprise and who has been a let down:

FOR THE SPITS:

Surprise:Brady Vail, Expected him to be good this season and put points up but he's leading the team in scoring and has been there best player so far, and he's very good defensively also he takes pride in taking care of his own zone

Surprise: Pat Sanvido, standing at 6'6 and 220 this big rookie has been a surprise to even make this squad, he has been better then a lot of veteran Defenceman and has earned his spot on the back end, he keeps it simple and doesn't make many mistakes and gets rewarded with PK time.

Disappointment:Adam Bateman, spits Brass along with us fans had high hopes for him coming into this season and he hasent looked very good most games and that's the reason he has been watching in the stands, he hasent improved from last season, and has possibly gotten worse. spits have 8 Dman and the further this season rolls on you have to think Bateman could be the odd man out.

Disappointment: Ben Johnson, After getting 38 points in his rookie season we were hoping he'd take a step forward this season so far hasn't happened with only recording 5 points and 2 goals(1EN) in 12 games and for the most part has been invisable, hopfully Ben can start putting it together and put some points up.

Alright let's here some of yours....

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Lyons89

Gaunce, Zharkov,Baptiste. Also Mitchell Dempsey from the soo looks to be a huge first round bust thus far.

Lyons89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:28 AM
tourlord*

Surprise: Brendance Gaunce

Disappointment: John McFarland

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
seen em all

Oshawa Generals

Sabourin has been exceptional as have Petgrave & Schemitsch, not sure what`s going on with Uvira.

seen em all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Disappointment: John McFarland
Hes in the AHL?

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Hes in the AHL?
Dude, you sound foolish. I don't care if you're in the KHL, AHL, DEL, this kid disappointed me in junior hockey. This kid was a phenom in AAA, scored 96 goals in 49 games. 96 goals. Do you know how many goals that it? On a Jr. Canadians team that hadn't lost a game in what was it... three or four years? He was the first player drafted into the OHL. The #1 pick into the ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE and you're in the AHL? The #1 pick in the OHL and he didn't do a single thing while he was in the league. This guy should be in the NHlL, instead he got a fat head thinking he was better than everybody else and his stock dropped incredibly. And to get this through your head, the forum that this thread was created in is the ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE. So I'm assuming the creator of this thread is talking about players that have surprised or disappointed people during their OHL careers, no? During McFarlands OHL career he DISAPPOINTED me and lots of other fans after coming in with such high hopes. Next time just take a second and read what the thread is actually about.

Last edited by tourlord*: 10-25-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 11:41 AM
NHL Fanatic

Way too early for this thread, and I don't really condone bashing players who are 20 years old and under, living away from home (most of them) and on the ice every day. It's a lot more difficult then people think, its a grind. Not that you have malicious intent or anything but it leads negative conversation in most cases.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 10-25-2012 at 11:47 AM.
NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Way too early for this thread, and I don't really condone bashing players who are 20 years old and under, living away from home (most of them) and on the ice every day. It's a lot more difficult then people think, its a grind. Not that you have malicious intent or anything but it leads negative conversation in most cases.
I agree with you here, I was going to say it is way to early especially for disappointing players.

I will say though that J.P. Labardo has played great for the Otters. He has 13 points in twelve games, last year he had 19 points in 50 games so I think he deserves some recognition.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Dude, you sound foolish. I don't care if you're in the KHL, AHL, DEL, this kid disappointed me in junior hockey. This kid was a phenom in AAA, scored 96 goals in 49 games. 96 goals. Do you know how many goals that it? On a Jr. Canadians team that hadn't lost a game in what was it... three or four years? He was the first player drafted into the OHL. The #1 pick into the ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE and you're in the AHL? The #1 pick in the OHL and he didn't do a single thing while he was in the league. This guy should be in the NHlL, instead he got a fat head thinking he was better than everybody else and his stock dropped incredibly. And to get this through your head, the forum that this thread was created in is the ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE. So I'm assuming the creator of this thread is talking about players that have surprised or disappointed people during their OHL careers, no? During McFarlands OHL career he DISAPPOINTED me and lots of other fans after coming in with such high hopes. Next time just take a second and read what the thread is actually about.
Your incorrect. Its for this year.

Also, whats up with the caps lock?

Last edited by Tigers1992: 10-25-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Spitsfan67*

This thread is about so far this season out of the gate, so it's not to early it's just who has been a surprise or let Down thus far.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
OHLTG

Yeah, I took it to mean this year, too.

My biggest surprise is probably Pat Sieloff, who is dominating more than I anticipated. He's become a wrecking-ball on the blue-line.

As for disappointments, I'm not worried about them right now

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
seen em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I agree with you here, I was going to say it is way to early especially for disappointing players.

I will say though that J.P. Labardo has played great for the Otters. He has 13 points in twelve games, last year he had 19 points in 50 games so I think he deserves some recognition.
I agree with JP is having a great year so far, and I hope it continues thru out the season, but it surely helps that he`s getting 1st line minutes and that rookie
Mc David kid can more then likely have anyone play with him a put up mega points.

seen em all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
As a note, the following OHL first overall picks also have not panned out as far as the NHL is concerned....

Pat Jarret 2000
Patrick O'Sullivan 2001
Robbie Schremp 2002
Patrick McNeil 2003
John Hughes 2004

The only thing being drafted does, whether 1st overall or last, is provide a player with an opportunity.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:14 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
I agree with JP is having a great year so far, and I hope it continues thru out the season, but it surely helps that he`s getting 1st line minutes and that rookie
Mc David kid can more then likely have anyone play with him a put up mega points.
Most definitely it helps playing along side McDavid but still I did not expect a point per game pace from JP when they got him. I think he deserves a lot of credit, but imagine the linemate's of McDavid when he is 16 and 17? He is certainly going to bring tons of scouts to the rinks.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
As a note, the following OHL first overall picks also have not panned out as far as the NHL is concerned....

Pat Jarret 2000
Patrick O'Sullivan 2001
Robbie Schremp 2002
Patrick McNeil 2003
John Hughes 2004

The only thing being drafted does, whether 1st overall or last, is provide a player with an opportunity.
I was going to say, although off topic, Mafarland isn't even the worst 1st overall selection of the 2000's, let alone the 'biggest disappointment' ever.

Regardless, thread is about this year.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I was going to say, although off topic, Mafarland isn't even the worst 1st overall selection of the 2000's, let alone the 'biggest disappointment' ever.

Regardless, thread is about this year.
Drafting of 18/19 year olds into the NHL is dicey enough let alone 15/16 year olds into the OHL and moving away from home for the first time.
Usually teams who constantly draft high for a reason and it's usually the inability to develop talent. For me, most of the blame should be on management and not the kids. (the first 3 on that list were drafted by the Icedogs)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

For the 67's... Graovac is an obvious choice for surprise. Perhaps overlooked is Gustavsen... both are cases of a lack of depth elevating experienced guys with some skills into bigger/key roles, but then they are going ahead and making the most of it, at least, so good on them. Gustavsen will have more points in 15 games this year than in 60 last year.

On the disappointment side... I dunno if it is fair yet, but the team would have done well to get a boost from the import slot, and Mraz hasn't fit in yet. Maybe he needs more time. They use an overage and import slot on Cajkovsky, and he's ok, but somehow it feels like a pretty big market team isn't maybe making as much as they might out of those spots? On the same lines of "unfair early disappointment", I guess I find that Abou-Assaly hasn't seemed capable of much in the games I've looked at. It would have been nice if he had been able to step into something more productive (even in a minor way), but of course, not a fair expectation and maybe he'll come around later on. (Although, by the same token Salituro and Brown seem to make themselves noticed more, despite inexperience... the opportunity is there on a shallow team for the youngsters to get more attention than they otherwise might have).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
StormSurge9

Alot of guys have surprised for far for Guelph. Leading the league in goals scored and no one player in the top ten OHL scorers. Zac Leslie and Justin Auger's offensive output are very nice early in the season. Leslie has also improved his defensive game and is now a quality top 4 defenseman.

Disappointments there aren't a whole lot. Maybe Sparks? I thought he would take a bigger step forward this season, but his stats show a slight regression. But he is still doing enough to win games so I can't really complain to much.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Drafting of 18/19 year olds into the NHL is dicey enough let alone 15/16 year olds into the OHL and moving away from home for the first time.
Usually teams who constantly draft high for a reason and it's usually the inability to develop talent. For me, most of the blame should be on management and not the kids. (the first 3 on that list were drafted by the Icedogs)
100 percent agree, its not a straight line as some think. Top end prospects fail to progress all the time.

Sometimes its the player, they just don't have the drive to do what it takes, it doesn't matter what the program does. Alot of the time it is the surroundings and the people that the team has in place to develop thou.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Nerf27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
Sabourin has been exceptional as have Petgrave & Schemitsch, not sure what`s going on with Uvira.
Agreed Sabourin.......Petgrave gives the puck away and is not head smart hence why never drafted. Schemitsch has some inconsistency. These 2 are OA defencemen and should be reliable. IMO Brown and Sullentrop have been the 2 most consistent.

Uvira has a hand injury and I believe he re-injured. I have heard he will be back soon maybe this weekend.

They will need it without Lessio for 3 months and Laughton will be gone for awhile.

Nerf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:20 AM
ORYX

Lets also not just assume that because you were drafted 1st overall and didnt live up to the expectations OTHER PEOPLE placed on you, that you're a bust or that you think you are way better.

Thats pretty ignorant actually. Hockey players have a lot of pressure put on them. Fans often think, oh they are playing a game they love, it should be easy for them this, they shouldnt complain that.

Have you had 6000 people screaming at you while you try and make that big sale your boss is counting on? I bet you might choke too in that situation on occasion.

For Kitchener,

Disappoitment: Pretty much everyone not named Gibson or Puempel through the first 8 games. Nic Czinder, Ryan Hanes, Domenic Alberga 3 O/A's with ZERO combined points through 10 games.

Suprise: Bailey is fantastic, Llewellyn demonstrates a poise uncommon in 16 year olds

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Surprise: Bailey is fantastic, Llewellyn demonstrates a poise uncommon in 16 year olds
I would put Jared Gilbert in this group as well!

Old
10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf27 View Post
Agreed Sabourin.......Petgrave gives the puck away and is not head smart hence why never drafted. Schemitsch has some inconsistency. These 2 are OA defencemen and should be reliable. IMO Brown and Sullentrop have been the 2 most consistent.

Uvira has a hand injury and I believe he re-injured. I have heard he will be back soon maybe this weekend.

They will need it without Lessio for 3 months and Laughton will be gone for awhile.
What the heck are you talking about? Petgrave is a smart defender who isn't afraid to take the put and go end to end. I'm pretty sure he won the Memorial Cup with the Attack as well. Oshawa hasn't had a GOOD defense men let alone one that can take the puck and go since Calvin De Haan. Schemitsch is very inconsistent but Petgrave is very good. Uviraw? Really? I went to every Oshawa Generals game on Sunday last year and Uviraw didn't absolutely nothing. I've been watching the Gennies for the past three years and the first season I started attending was Sullentrops first year on D. Over the past THREE seasons Sullentrop has stayed the same. THE SAME. He hasn't improved, and he hasn't gotten worst. Hes stayed the same... I'm just a little curious, have you actually seen these players play a full 60 minutes?

Last edited by tourlord*: 10-26-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old
10-26-2012, 09:19 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I would put Jared Gilbert in this group as well!
I've been saying this from before he got into the league, and yet all the Kitchener fans are ready to ship him out. Management knows his capability, solid defensemen.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I've been saying this from before he got into the league, and yet all the Kitchener fans are ready to ship him out. Management knows his capability, solid defensemen.
I think all Ranger fans knows his capabilities but they realize to garner a good return this year they need to give up something very good!