HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate II

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

vCash: 500
We in Portland are honestly really lucky to have OEL here, it's incredible how much better than everyone else he is.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:33 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
Uh oh...OEL just got hurt BADLY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin71
Nevermind...He's back, thank God. Sorry for the scare.
Don't do that to us!

Old
10-24-2012, 08:49 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

How are summers and stone looking?

Old
10-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

Stone has been great in the shut down role. Both Stone and Summers seem to be tasked as the stay at home d-men to let guys like OEL/Rundblad/Gormley lead the rush and chip in offensively, can't really say anything negative about either of them.

Gormley has lots of learning to do but I'm ok with his hiccups as he is a rookie fresh out of juniors. Goncharov, on the other hand, seems to be a complete lost cause and I'll be extremely disappointed if he isn't benched for Saturday's game.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:36 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Johnson shuts down IceCaps; Pirates split series
By Chris Roy Published: 24th October 2012

Quote:
Itís amazing what 24 hours can do for the Portland Pirates.

One day after allowing eight goals, the Pirates clamped down on defense to earn a 4-0 shutout victory over the St. Johnís IceCaps before 6,287 at Mile One Centre in St. Johnís, Newfoundland.
Link>>>>

Old
10-25-2012, 03:27 AM
XX
Lots of Try

What's the deal with Shinnimin? Goes from Jr scoring dynamo to 1 pt in 5 games.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:19 AM
nickk382

Bolduc is killing it, 10 points in 5. Wasn't he named captain?

Old
10-25-2012, 09:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
What's the deal with Shinnimin? Goes from Jr scoring dynamo to 1 pt in 5 games.
First five games of his pro career and the AHL is a whole lot better than usual, right now.

10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Why isn't Nick Johnson in Portland? Why isn't he playing anywhere? A guy with a grand total of 87 NHL games ought to be in some competitive league somewhere. Ideally, the AHL.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickk382 View Post
Bolduc is killing it, 10 points in 5. Wasn't he named captain?
Yes, he was. He should probably be considered if the NHL season starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Why isn't Nick Johnson in Portland? Why isn't he playing anywhere? A guy with a grand total of 87 NHL games ought to be in some competitive league somewhere. Ideally, the AHL.
He needed to go through waivers and they didn't want to risk losing him, IIRC.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ Bolduc will be in tough to make the NHL squad, if we get a season. He's got Torres, Chipchura, Bissonnette, and Klinkhammer to compete with for that 4th LW/reserve forward spot.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
SweYote

Quote:
^ Bolduc will be in tough to make the NHL squad, if we get a season. He's got Torres, Chipchura, Bissonnette, and Klinkhammer to compete with for that 4th LW/reserve forward spot.
He's a center though and unless there's any moves he could compete for the fourth line spot there with Chipchura.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
He's a center though and unless there's any moves he could compete for the fourth line spot there with Chipchura.
I really, really doubt that we fail to acquire another center either before or very quickly into the season (if there is a season).

To me,

Vermette
Hanzal
Gordon
Chips/Bolduc

is completely unacceptable.

Boyd Gordon is the epitome of the perfect fourth line center/number one PKer. He should not be any higher on the depth chart as he is a black hole on offense. Why waste Lauri Korpikoski on Boyd Gordon?

Old
10-25-2012, 12:09 PM
SweYote

I agree with you. I just meant that Bolduc is a roster candidate with the current roster. No doubt the ideal solution is to bring in another center.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Bandit34

Chipchura has proven to be an all-around better player than Bolduc in the NHL. Don't let these 5 games of AHL stats fool you veteran hockey fans.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
lanky

Quote:
I really, really doubt that we fail to acquire another center either before or very quickly into the season (if there is a season).

To me,

Vermette
Hanzal
Gordon
Chips/Bolduc

is completely unacceptable.

Boyd Gordon is the epitome of the perfect fourth line center/number one PKer. He should not be any higher on the depth chart as he is a black hole on offense. Why waste Lauri Korpikoski on Boyd Gordon?
Tikhonov is 5-6-11 +10 in 13 gp centering Tarasenko and Kovalchuk this year. Playing with such talent has to be good for his development, and the fact that he's getting that opportunity speaks to how far he's come already. I'd love to see him earn the 3rd line centre spot whenever the next training camp comes.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Tikhonov is 5-6-11 +10 in 13 gp centering Tarasenko and Kovalchuk this year. Playing with such talent has to be good for his development, and the fact that he's getting that opportunity speaks to how far he's come already. I'd love to see him earn the 3rd line centre spot whenever the next training camp comes.
Interesting that Tikhonov is playing center...Id like to see him get another shot at making the team before we give up on him.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:26 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I'll be streaming the game on Saturday when Bingo comes to town to visit. There'll be a GDT in the Ottawa forum w/ all the info. Good luck.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I don't know about third line C, but he's at least as good an option as Nick Johnson for the 4th line RW spot. Or at least good enough to challenge Johnson. Both have a decent shot at being 20-30pt NHL players. Tikhonov being the better PKer and more versatile player while Johnson the better forechecker and more physical player. Basically a toss up, IMO.

As a side note, I really have no idea how the organization managed to sour on Tikhonov so quickly. Big head scratcher for me. They went from "We are not leaving the draft without this player" to waiving him, all with only one fairly good NHL rookie season to go off of. I mean, what's the problem? Eight goals and some decent PK ability as a rookie in his first season of professional North American hockey isn't too shabby in my mind. Odd that he didn't get another legit shot. We already burned a first round pick on him, might as well try to make an NHL player out of him. With our track record late in the first, we ought to just trade our picks for actual NHL players. I'd be pretty happy to have Troy Brouwer.

Last edited by rt: 10-25-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I'm pretty happy with Rick Knickle so far. Henrik was a good pick at 27 (IMO).

Didn't Tiki have a terrible preseason last year? It was pretty startling when he and MacLean lost to POS and Chipchura.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I liked the Hank pick, too. Plus, I liked how Knickle up and OWNED that Martinook pick. Basically stating this is the kind of pick you stake your reputation on. He didn't have to say that. He didn't have to hold himself accountable like that. Really impressive, if you ask me.

I can't recall what happened with Tikh. Must've been SOMETHING, though, because it doesn't quite add up, IMO.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:01 PM
hbk

Quote:
I don't know about third line C, but he's at least as good an option as Nick Johnson for the 4th line RW spot. Or at least good enough to challenge Johnson. Both have a decent shot at being 20-30pt NHL players. Tikhonov being the better PKer and more versatile player while Johnson the better forechecker and more physical player. Basically a toss up, IMO.

As a side note, I really have no idea how the organization managed to sour on Tikhonov so quickly. Big head scratcher for me. They went from "We are not leaving the draft without this player" to waiving him, all with only one fairly good NHL rookie season to go off of. I mean, what's the problem? Eight goals and some decent PK ability as a rookie in his first season of professional North American hockey isn't too shabby in my mind. Odd that he didn't get another legit shot. We already burned a first round pick on him, might as well try to make an NHL player out of him. With our track record late in the first, we ought to just trade our picks for actual NHL players. I'd be pretty happy to have Troy Brouwer.
Maloneys made some pretty telling comments in the past about Russian prospects and their propensity to run back home every time there is a hint of adversity.

Maloney wants players who want to do the hard things to be an everyday player. What he doesn't want is a player who tries to leverage a roster spot on the basis that if he doesn't get it he will run back to Russia.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:02 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
I liked the Hank pick, too. Plus, I liked how Knickle up and OWNED that Martinook pick. Basically stating this is the kind of pick you stake your reputation on. He didn't have to say that. He didn't have to hold himself accountable like that. Really impressive, if you ask me.
Posted this interview in the lockout thread, Rick says he wanted to draft Martinook two years prior at the end of the draft when he was in Nashville.

http://www.vancouvergiants.com/uploa...20Oct%2020.mp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Maloneys made some pretty telling comments in the past about Russian prospects and their propensity to run back home every time there is a hint of adversity.

Maloney wants players who want to do the hard things to be an everyday player. What he doesn't want is a player who tries to leverage a roster spot on the basis that if he doesn't get it he will run back to Russia.
Remember that time that GMDM spent the entire summer pumping up Gonch to anyone who would listen, even if they didn't ask about him? The whole "We've gotta play him or we're gonna lose him" thing?

Old
10-26-2012, 09:53 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

^ probably trying to find a buyer. The whole "one owner, never been smoked in, mostly highway miles, oil changed every 3k, always garaged, little old lady only used it to drive to church and back on Sundays" routine. Yeah, well it is still a '94 Chrysler with 195k on it, and it is still only worth it's weight in scrap.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

That call-up Goncharov got last year smelled like BS.

Closed Thread