HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting ****** IAMA with NHL team executive about the lockout

Old
10-25-2012, 02:44 AM
jakapono24

vCash: 500
Interesting ****** IAMA with NHL team executive about the lockout

I posted this in business of hockey as well, but as a Leafs fan I'm here a lot so I want to see what you think. ALSO, it would be cool to try to guess who he is! Read the Leafs question and answer, it's funny and almost guarantees he's not a Leafs executive.

"Most questions are on the lockout, but some are on individual teams, about becoming an executive, and some other interesting stuff.

As it pertains to the lockout, s/he gives some great insight into the intricacies of the lockout and the league as a whole. Although it's not completely objective (as s/he admits) it has some value and it does make you think.

Anyways, read it and then discuss!

http://www.***********/r/IAmA/comment...t_the_lockout/

Curious:

Did he change your opinion?

and

Do you agree with him that there will be a season?"

In addition to this: Who does he work for!

My guess:
Chicago Blackhawks...no evidence, just an arbitrary stab at it!

jakapono24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:42 AM
malliabu

Working Link

malliabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

IMO the players that hurt this league are probably 25% of the top paid.. So essentially a handfull on the top. Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Nash, Webber.. etc. There is about 75% of players in this league who are on contracts that arent financial burdens on their organization.

Why cant the league propose cut backs off the top paid (25% of players) in order to pit them on themselves. The league would get a majority vote as most players wouldnt be affected. IMO its the top end players that are being the most greedy right now. The only ones im hearing in the media are the players who are A) waiting for a massive pay cheque or B) already getting a massive pay cheque.

Lets get some hockey back.

Obviously my proposal wouldnt get passed Fehr. It wouldnt go to a vote. But if we cut back the 6m+ contracts by a certain percentage and brought them closer to the rest of the league, im sure there would be significant money saved.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Dayjobdave

Owners who sign players to massive contracts the day before locking them out do not deserve to have those contracts rolled back to save them from themselves.

Any player facing a roll back should have the option of becoming a free agent immediately as his contract has been breached.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:57 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Owners who sign players to massive contracts the day before locking them out do not deserve to have those contracts rolled back to save them from themselves.

Any player facing a roll back should have the option of becoming a free agent immediately as his contract has been breached.
That would certainly make things exciting. Conversely, Teams should then have the choice to keep some contracts as is.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post

Nothing will have been breached, the remuneration was always based on withholding a percentage in escrow and returning an amount that ensures the aggregated amount of money paid to all the player doesn't exceed the share of HRR that the players are entitled to in the active CBA.

The NHL is trying to lower that percentage during collective bargaining after the active CBA expired, which is completely legal.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
IMO the players that hurt this league are probably 25% of the top paid.. So essentially a handfull on the top. Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Nash, Webber.. etc. There is about 75% of players in this league who are on contracts that arent financial burdens on their organization.

Why cant the league propose cut backs off the top paid (25% of players) in order to pit them on themselves. The league would get a majority vote as most players wouldnt be affected. IMO its the top end players that are being the most greedy right now. The only ones im hearing in the media are the players who are A) waiting for a massive pay cheque or B) already getting a massive pay cheque.

Lets get some hockey back.

Obviously my proposal wouldnt get passed Fehr. It wouldnt go to a vote. But if we cut back the 6m+ contracts by a certain percentage and brought them closer to the rest of the league, im sure there would be significant money saved.
But really how much do they hurt this league? If anything the fan base grew stronger because of Ovechkin and Crosby. I'm not saying they're worth their contracts, but I don't think their contracts hurt the league considering how much revenue they bring.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Always an easy target.

Quote:
Do you think the Leafs will ever win again? Also please get these guys to settle and get back on the ice I miss seeing my team lose all the time =D

[+]IAMAnhlexec[S] 10 points11 points12 points 13 hours ago (1 child)
[]IAMAnhlexec[S] 10 points11 points12 points 13 hours ago

Not with Burke as a GM. Personal opinion

permalinkparent

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:40 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
But really how much do they hurt this league? If anything the fan base grew stronger because of Ovechkin and Crosby. I'm not saying they're worth their contracts, but I don't think their contracts hurt the league considering how much revenue they bring.
In the entertainment business, one needs to spend money in order to make money. Its a process, you have to build the market and increase fan interest before you can see real results. Yes, these are the players that draw in the fans. However, these players use the hockey/money heavy markets like New York, Philly, Boston,Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton as leverage to increase their pay cheques. These "hurting" teams can't afford to let their star player walk because they risk emptying their building completely. The player then forces them into a two option scenario.

A) Give me more money than Philly is offering

or

B) Let me walk and risk emptying your building completely. (see Nashville/Weber)

These teams are forced to spend money they don't have in order to stay competitive. Either risk depleting the hockey interest in your market by not overpaying the guy that puts people in the seats, or give them the money and be forced to cut back on the fan experience elsewhere. Its a lose lose situation in the majority of the small markets.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Always an easy target.
Oh boy.

BORKE IS SO BAAAAAD

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Nothing will have been breached, the remuneration was always based on withholding a percentage in escrow and returning an amount that ensures the aggregated amount of money paid to all the player doesn't exceed the share of HRR that the players are entitled to in the active CBA.

The NHL is trying to lower that percentage during collective bargaining after the active CBA expired, which is completely legal.
While it may be completely legal to negotiate a new HRR % increase for the Owners in the new CBA, what is unethical and why we have this lockout is because Owners refuse to pay in full the player contracts they themselves authorized in good faith previously, and in turn holding them and fans hostage with no hockey until NHLPA capitulates to their extortion antics, by blackmailing them with lost wages threats thru their strong arm tactics.

The NHLPA has no problem meeting the NHL at 50/50 split of HRR in new CBA going forward, they simply refuse to give back a cut of past contracts they were given legally, but Owners refuse to honour now.

10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

****** is being crappy these last couple of days. One thing I caught was that he admits he is biased (because he knows who writes his checks) but at first he thought that the owners were being bull-headed and unfair but after their most recent proposal, the 3 re-proposals by the NHLPA were mockeries. Just small re-definitions of previous proposals they had presented that had been rejected. There are some good tidbits in it if ****** will stop crashing.

This is the exact quote. He is a verified NHL Executive as proven by the Moderators on ******:

Quote:
Both sides have valid points, and I would've said the owners until the most recent 50/50 split proposal. The NHLPA response was an insult.
in response to who is being more greedy.

Last edited by Hurt: 10-25-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Also, he said that he can say 'with 100% certainty', there will be no contraction in the league.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
****** is being crappy these last couple of days. One thing I caught was that he admits he is biased (because he knows who writes his checks) but at first he thought that the owners were being bull-headed and unfair but after their most recent proposal, the 3 re-proposals by the NHLPA were mockeries. Just small re-definitions of previous proposals they had presented that had been rejected. There are some good tidbits in it if ****** will stop crashing.

This is the exact quote. He is a verified NHL Executive as proven by the Moderators on ******:

in response to who is being more greedy.
Low level if his salary admission is correct.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Low level if his salary admission is correct.
Quote:
EDIT: I'm upper level management, but not EVP level. I admit I may be biased (I know who signs my paycheck , but I'd like to think I have a somewhat balanced perspective growing up in the sport.
Maybe executives under the EVP level don't earn as much as we think.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Kirkpatrick

Quote:
He mentioned somewhere in the AMA (AHA?) that his kind of skillset would be higher paid outside the hockey world, but people take lower salaries in order to be involved with the game.

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
No idea but it certainly doesn't seem like much for "upper level management" in any large business.

Of course being self employed I could be well off base here.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
No idea but it certainly doesn't seem like much for "upper level management" in any large business.

Of course being self employed I could be well off base here.
Especially if you're incorporated but that's a story for another day .