HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with the move to Brooklyn?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Isles moving to Brooklyn
Yes 196 88.29%
No 26 11.71%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Echoes of 1980

vCash: 500
I'm mostly happy with today's news. I'm happy because Islanders fans no longer have to worry about the Islanders leaving the state for the foreseeable future. The prospect of leaving the state was the single most important thing to me.

Echoes of 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Does this mean you are no longer a fan and that any future posts can be construed as trolling?
what is a troll

as for my fandom, it will definitely take a hit

I know longer have the same love of this team that I have

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Islanders stay the Islanders and in NY. And finally a conclusion to this whole arena mess, which hopefully can get Wang to start spending on the team again.

I am pretty pumped about the news.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
what is a troll

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.

Urban dictionary is your friend

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:36 PM
HajdukSplit

personally yes I am, but I am an Islanders fan not living in Long Island (living in NJ) so the new arena in Brooklyn will be much easier to get to than Nassau Coliseum and I will probably go to more home games than usual

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:46 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

She's my home. they are my team. Im in love.

If you want a detailed rationale on why this matters to me as a brooklynite:
http://puckbuddys.com/2012/10/24/brooklyn/

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
startainfection

relieved yes, happy no

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:49 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Yes. Suffolk could have stepped up but failed. Nassau obviously failed. I am happy for Wang on this one issue. I am happy for all of us, actually.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:31 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
Nope, there's something special about being on Long Island and not in the city. Hate the move. I see the benefits but think those benefits could have been had in Nassau or Suffolk. Totally alienates the team's main population of fans and the number of games I attend and the passion I have for the team will drop.
Make sure you take out all your disappointment and anger on Kate Murray, Ed Mangano, and just about every other Nassau politicia.

Oh and don't forget to blame Nassau citizens including yourself for either voting for those clowns or not doing more to get them out.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:38 AM
periferal

Quote:
definitely not, the Islanders had an Identity on Long Island, they are no longer the Islanders
Yeah, they had an identity and it was one of being a minor league team in a major sports league. They might still be with Wang as owner, but at least the arena issue is a non issue going forward.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:16 AM
islandersfan1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Yes. Suffolk could have stepped up but failed. Nassau obviously failed. I am happy for Wang on this one issue. I am happy for all of us, actually.

Suffolk didn't fail at all, they were in never in the mix. Do you really think Bellone was concerned bout the isles or fixing Suffolk county?? you wanna blame someone, blame the politicians of Nassau and every owner this franchise had for the past 20+years or so. it's bout damn this franchise has stability and hope. if this doesn't work out, then in 25 years we can all talk bout our next new home in the tri-state are or be rooting for a team in KC or wherever else the owner at the time threatens to move this team. short term this a great great deal but once the winning and novelty wears off, this franchise will be back to where we are right now. history has a funny way of repeating itself.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:45 AM
blitzkriegs

Yes, happy with move b/c it puts the team into the NYC market, yes, the NYC market.

The Isles as a burbanite team were (now are) dead due to the change in economics of the game. Plain and simple. The team needs to attract professionals and corporate dollars. The famliy environment around the team existed because it was a a CHEAP and LOCAL price point to see a professional franchise. Thankfully, in Brooklyn that will be a goner. For all the lost kiddies, the Isles will certainly gain in actual adults.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Islanderfan17

Closure my friends, closure. Slowly waiting til' 2015 to see what the fate of this team would be made me feel like I was slowly dying a painful death. All I wanted was for this team to stay local and not relocate out of state and that's exactly what we got! I can't be any happier honestly, even if going to games will slightly be more a pain in the ass but it still won't stop me! Whether you like the location or not, this team and it's fans will finally start getting more of what they deserve instead of the crap we've dealt with over the years.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:45 AM
crashthenet

No issue with Wang on this one. He did what he had to do and kept the team in New York but face the facts, he was not going to be allowed to relocate this team to a viable market and cost the rest of the owners the massive payday a franchise fee in Quebec or perhaps Seattle would yield. You can stop short of lionizing him.

Not saying there were a lot of options but as reality sets in, take a look at the seating chart for hockey. Not great. Tickets will be expensive and I need to add about $22.00 per ticket when I take my family to the game for the railroad. With driving never being an option I'm not sure how many games I'll be able to attend. I have the same seats for over ten years, I doubt I'll be keeping them. Kinda sucks for me but at least they're staying in NY.

Last edited by crashthenet: 10-25-2012 at 07:50 AM.
crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Wedregast

I'm happy with the move to Brooklyn.

Nassau wasn't going to happen, the politicans messed it up. Suffolk and Queens never became viable alternative options. I'm overjoyed the Islanders are staying in NY and not going to Quebec, Kansas City, or Seattle.

As with any change there are negatives. We are losing the building the Islanders brought home four cups and a Dynasty in. So there is certainly sadness in the joy.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
LAPPY13

Happy to keep team in New York but sad to not have team in my backyard anymore (born and raised on Long Island). With team moving to Brooklyn I will only be able to attend around 3-5 games a year. Once team moves after 2014-15 season I will have to give up my season tickets. I dont blame Wang for moving team and I am happy he is keeping team in New York.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Jester9881

They stay in the market for at least 25 more years.
Brand new building
No more relocation jokes/rumors
More corporate sponsorship
More media coverage
More exposure
Mass transit

Add all that together, and you will likely come away with an on ice product that is both better equipped (more $$$ being spent), more appealing to fans, outsiders and UFA's.

This isn't a win....it's not even a win-win. Multiply it by about 100 and you might be close.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Hapy it's over. Not happy that his revenue picture relies on new fans coming and staying and continuing to go to games in Ranger Country while old fans are jettisoned. If the revenues don't come, they are locked into a 25 year lease in a small building. What do they do when this doesn't make any money and franchise value drops (a 14,500 arena and bad hockey team does not gain in value)?
You've been going to games in "Ranger Country" since 1972.

And these same old fans getting "jettisoned" are the same ones who trek out to see the Yankees, Mets, and Knicks on a regular basis. They'll get over it.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
NYI78

Quote:
I don't think this is necessarily true. Would have liked to see what Mangano had planned. I get that the whole moving a far away thing is much, much worse. But I'll break out a quote that I just found "“Uniondale is eons away from Brooklyn, in terms of the people, the businesses and all that stuff,”-Denis Potvin. And you know what, he's totally right. Even though it's only a few miles to the west it might as well be Canada for a Suffolk fan. The whole charm and image of the team is lost.
honestly this team has been a dumpster fire the past 20 years..i repect your opinion but i find being relevant and hopefully winning more charmimg

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
NYI78

Quote:
what is a troll

bro...when i was a kid my team packed up and moved to North Carolina..before center ice or the nhl network...just think of the alternative

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
potvins4cups

I recently moved out of that no vision no future place known as nassau county and actually moved closer to the barclays center. a train ride to barcalys from where i am now is 30-35 minutes away. of course i am happy.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
potvins4cups

Quote:
I don't think this is necessarily true. Would have liked to see what Mangano had planned. I get that the whole moving a far away thing is much, much worse. But I'll break out a quote that I just found "“Uniondale is eons away from Brooklyn, in terms of the people, the businesses and all that stuff,”-Denis Potvin. And you know what, he's totally right. Even though it's only a few miles to the west it might as well be Canada for a Suffolk fan. The whole charm and image of the team is lost.

This latest nonsense that came from mangano about announcing his plans for the hub in 10 days. you remember that comment? the one he made on october 9th? its october 25th still nothing.

but anyway i guarantee you this latest proposal was going to be more of the same. someone was going to develop the area but wang would be responsible for building the arena himself. wang heard that and sppeded up the process of getting a deal done in brooklyn.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:40 PM
ferro39

considering the alternatives of going to canada or like kansas city, of course nobody is unhappy.

but had one of the many wang-led projects come to fruition (im assuming we can all agree that at least 1 should have), who would take brooklyn over long island? my guess is not too many people.

so yeah, happy they're staying close, but devastated that they're leaving long island. im with whoever said that the team belongs in nassau or suffolk and that its identity is LI. i know what a map looks like, but brooklyn isnt long island, the same way queens isnt long island either. nobody from brooklyn says that theyre from western long island.

and from a non-hockey POV, for those of you who own or even rent property in nassau county, how do you think the $240 million in annual revenue that wang is taking with him to brooklyn is going to be made up?

in addition to saving for LIRR tickets, you better start putting money aside for your tax bills, maintenance fees, and rent.

in closing, i would just like to say that kate murray should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. who wants a cookie?

ferro39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:39 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
They stay in the market for at least 25 more years.
Brand new building
No more relocation jokes/rumors
More corporate sponsorship
More media coverage
More exposure
Mass transit

Add all that together, and you will likely come away with an on ice product that is both better equipped (more $$$ being spent), more appealing to fans, outsiders and UFA's.

This isn't a win....it's not even a win-win. Multiply it by about 100 and you might be close.

I would agree with you 100% if Wang wasn't still the owner. It's good the arena is no longer an excuse, but I don't trust him at all to make the right on ice moves now. I mean anyone else feel another Spezza/Chara for Yashin deal coming up right around 2015?

Old
10-25-2012, 04:28 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I would agree with you 100% if Wang wasn't still the owner. It's good the arena is no longer an excuse, but I don't trust him at all to make the right on ice moves now. I mean anyone else feel another Spezza/Chara for Yashin deal coming up right around 2015?

He had to make his mark for LI fans.....he had to make his mark after the disappointing coaching carousel with 15 year boy.....he's gonna want to make his mark, "to show he's committwed to Bwooklyn" by singing someone on the outs with their current team.

I can see it happening.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote