HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 03:45 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He's actually playing pretty great, the numbers just aren't coming. Kitchener has only beeing scoring on the powerplay and every team so far has kept one man on Murphy, which usually mean's Murphy's getting, "the third assist".

For defensemen in the CHL it's all about how your team is scoring. That's why a guy like Hamilton can have 70+ points in 50 games last year and still not be the best offensive defensemen in the league.
Thanks, I hardly get to see games outside of the Q. I'm still very surprised that he hasn't been able to generate anything off rushes alone.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
BowDangles

I honestly do not see RNH coming to play in this tourney. It wouldn't benefit him at all, he is currently playing in AHL against men and some NHL players. If the NHL was not locked out he would not play in it so I do not see why he would now...

I hope he does but I just have a gut feeling that he won't, it would be worst competition than what he is currently facing and takes time away from his AHL team where he is playing with Eberle/Shultz and soon to be Hall...

Old
10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I honestly do not see RNH coming to play in this tourney. It wouldn't benefit him at all, he is currently playing in AHL against men and some NHL players. If the NHL was not locked out he would not play in it so I do not see why he would now...

I hope he does but I just have a gut feeling that he won't, it would be worst competition than what he is currently facing and takes time away from his AHL team where he is playing with Eberle/Shultz and soon to be Hall...
It's quite possible, but a lot of that could have been said about Bergeron during the last lockout as well. Edmonton also has a management group with some strong Hockey Canada ties.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
It's quite possible, but a lot of that could have been said about Bergeron during the last lockout as well. Edmonton also has a management group with some strong Hockey Canada ties.
Ya, I've noticed there's been some real strong opposition from a lot of fans in Ed. re: RNH playing at the WJHC. I don't get it personally... how 13 games of AHL experience (what he would miss) is so critical for his development... A lot of fans micro-managing careers of prospects.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:31 AM
clarkebr

Quote:

Really!! a once in lifteime opportunity to play in a tournament like this and you would think a handful of AHL GAMES will have such a more positive impact on his career.
that is so light headed.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Really!! a once in lifteime opportunity to play in a tournament like this and you would think a handful of AHL GAMES will have such a more positive impact on his career.
that is so light headed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya, I've noticed there's been some real strong opposition from a lot of fans in Ed. re: RNH playing at the WJHC. I don't get it personally... how 13 games of AHL experience (what he would miss) is so critical for his development... A lot of fans micro-managing careers of prospects.
Quote:
I just look at it through his eyes, play against harder competition with players he will be playing with for a majority of his career (Hall, Eberle, Shults, etc..) or go play with guys that are 1-2 years younger and not as developed.

The big thing here is if the NHL was not locked out we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now... If the negotiations are anywhere near completed at the time I can't see him taking the chance of missing any NHL action...

I think it is selfish as a Canadian to expect him to play and be mad if he doesn't. Let him decide what his wants to do and stand behind it. I personally am okay if he plays or if he does not.

Bergeron's situation is a bit different, he wasn't playing with the majority of the high end talent from the Bruins in the AHL and he wasn't already Boston's #1C, Bergeron only had 39 points in 71 games and was a second round draft pick that didn't have as much hype as RNH....as much as people like to compare the situations there are a lot of different intangibles involved.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
With his play of late, J.C. Lipon of the Kamloops Blazers could potentially contend for a spot on the roster as a 3rd/4th line guy with offensive upside.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Macman

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more. Playing in what would be a best-on-best lockout tournament against the top juniors in the world, and in a pressure-cooker environment where winning for Canada is the only thing, would be more beneficial to his development than three weeks in the AHL. He'll get his fill of the minors when he gets back. He'll never get the world juniors back if he misses it. The Oilers would be idiots to not send him. Thankfully, I don't think they are.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I just look at it through his eyes, play against harder competition with players he will be playing with for a majority of his career (Hall, Eberle, Shults, etc..) or go play with guys that are 1-2 years younger and not as developed.

The big thing here is if the NHL was not locked out we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now... If the negotiations are anywhere near completed at the time I can't see him taking the chance of missing any NHL action...

I think it is selfish as a Canadian to expect him to play and be mad if he doesn't. Let him decide what his wants to do and stand behind it. I personally am okay if he plays or if he does not.

Bergeron's situation is a bit different, he wasn't playing with the majority of the high end talent from the Bruins in the AHL and he wasn't already Boston's #1C, Bergeron only had 39 points in 71 games and was a second round draft pick that didn't have as much hype as RNH....as much as people like to compare the situations there are a lot of different intangibles involved.

There are a few words I'd like to write in response to that, but I'd get about 20 infractions. Enough of the micro-managing, all junior age players if available should, that is should play for their country at a world championships... forget all the other nonsense of draft position, hype, previous year's stats, line-mates and blah blah blah... if he's going to play for Canada internationally (Olympics) at some point, then here's his first step in achieving that goal.... Yes, if he were playing in Edmonton at a PPG average, then yes, he gets the pass...but if he's not in Edmonton then I expect Edmonton to do the right thing an release him to play in the WJHC... because that's what Canadian 19 year old players should be doing...

Old
10-24-2012, 06:07 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Huberdeau - RNH - Mackinnon
Scheifele - Strome - Rattie
Danault - Jenner - Hudon
Lipon - Monahan - Camara

Rielly - Hamilton
Murray - Murphy
Harrington - Ouellet

Subban
Fucale

Old
10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Mr Writer

Actually, to update, fresh off the rumor mill... The 2013 Junior Team will be comprised of players who played mostly in the August Summit Series + a few additions from the Junior ranks. i.e. RNH will not be invited to play. Anybody else hearing that as well?

Old
10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
espo*

Bang on IMO. RNH get's a hell of a lot more development bang for the buck playing for his country in a high pressure tournament such as the WJCS then he would in a handful of AHL games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Playing in what would be a best-on-best lockout tournament against the top juniors in the world, and in a pressure-cooker environment where winning for Canada is the only thing, would be more beneficial to his development than three weeks in the AHL. He'll get his fill of the minors when he gets back. He'll never get the world juniors back if he misses it. The Oilers would be idiots to not send him. Thankfully, I don't think they are.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
espo*

Have not heard this but if true it is a terrible decision by Hockey Canada.

Quote:
Actually, to update, fresh off the rumor mill... The 2013 Junior Team will be comprised of players who played mostly in the August Summit Series + a few additions from the Junior ranks. i.e. RNH will not be invited to play. Anybody else hearing that as well?

Old
10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Macman

Quote:
Jeezus, I hope that's not true. I can't imagine why that would be the case.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Jeezus, I hope that's not true. I can't imagine why that would be the case.
I hope it is not the case as well. My guess would be HC cheaping out on the insurance. I remember seeing or reading a news item last year which went something like, in the event of another NHL lockout we'll be unlikely to see another dream team like scenario as was the case in 2005, due to prohibitive insurance costs....

And you think that's why Canadians pay through the roof to attend World Juniors in Canada (20 million dollar profit) so that HC can afford to pay associated costs.)

Like I said, I was just told this and hearing that it brought to mind the news item from last year.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Have not heard this but if true it is a terrible decision by Hockey Canada.
A terrible decision indeed... but only 1 terrible decision in a long endless list of terrible decisions by Hockey Canada. Nothing they do surprise me.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Macman

Quote:
I hope it is not the case as well. My guess would be HC cheaping out on the insurance. I remember seeing or reading a news item last year which went something like, in the event of another NHL lockout we'll be unlikely to see another dream team like scenario as was the case in 2005, due to prohibitive insurance costs....

And you think that's why Canadians pay through the roof to attend World Juniors in Canada (20 million dollar profit) so that HC can afford to pay associated costs.)

Like I said, I was just told this and hearing that it brought to mind the news item from last year.
The insurance thing doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't Hockey Canada provide insurance for a full roster of NHLers every year at the world championships? I'm asking cuz I don't know. If they do, insurance for RNH couldn't possibly keep him from going.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
The insurance thing doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't Hockey Canada provide insurance for a full roster of NHLers every year at the world championships? I'm asking cuz I don't know. If they do, insurance for RNH couldn't possibly keep him from going.
Well, it confuses the **** out of me too.... I'm just going by the news story from last year and...well you know every year at the WC Hockey Canada yammers on about insurance. All I know insurance costs have risen drastically over the past several years.... which explains why generally over the past several years, since 2010 HC generally takes 20 year old not big contract players to minimize insurance costs. Last year was a little different because Olympics are drawing close and seedings were on the line for Sochi. But Hockey Canada will feed us Bull**** that it's the start of another Olympic cycle and time to work in the new players.... HC is so full of **** it cracks me up.

Old
10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
therealdeal

Someone want to tweet at Mackenzie? He'd probably do some research and get a response, it's a real hockey story at least.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:22 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Can you say where you heard this rumour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Someone want to tweet at Mackenzie? He'd probably do some research and get a response, it's a real hockey story at least.
Good idea, he might be particularly inclined as TSN is showing the 1991 WJC gold medal game tonight.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:33 PM
therealdeal

Quote:

Good idea, he might be particularly inclined as TSN is showing the 1991 WJC gold medal game tonight.
I tweeted him, maybe if we get a couple people asking the same type of question we'll hear sooner/ever.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Can you say where you heard this rumour?

From a friend who sticks his nose into hockey stories... I never asked from where he gleaned such info. but I put in an e-mail request for him to divulge from where he heard the rumor.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
leafsfuture

Luke Lessio had surgery yesterday on his hand, per Bob McKenzie, out up to 3 months, so there is pretty much no chance he gets to try out for the World Juniors.

Based on what I had seen in the 4 game series and this year with the Generals, he would have been on the team for sure

Old
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Please stop posting
Ya and what do you know about it?

Old
10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
sickest flow bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Luke Lessio had surgery yesterday on his hand, per Bob McKenzie, out up to 3 months, so there is pretty much no chance he gets to try out for the World Juniors.

Based on what I had seen in the 4 game series and this year with the Generals, he would have been on the team for sure
I really think he would have been on the team as well, we'll miss his speed on the big ice surface in Russia. Hopefully MacKinnon makes it as he has blazing speed as well.

Closed Thread