HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2012, 03:45 PM
  #151
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
He's actually playing pretty great, the numbers just aren't coming. Kitchener has only beeing scoring on the powerplay and every team so far has kept one man on Murphy, which usually mean's Murphy's getting, "the third assist".

For defensemen in the CHL it's all about how your team is scoring. That's why a guy like Hamilton can have 70+ points in 50 games last year and still not be the best offensive defensemen in the league.
Thanks, I hardly get to see games outside of the Q. I'm still very surprised that he hasn't been able to generate anything off rushes alone.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
  #152
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
I honestly do not see RNH coming to play in this tourney. It wouldn't benefit him at all, he is currently playing in AHL against men and some NHL players. If the NHL was not locked out he would not play in it so I do not see why he would now...

I hope he does but I just have a gut feeling that he won't, it would be worst competition than what he is currently facing and takes time away from his AHL team where he is playing with Eberle/Shultz and soon to be Hall...

BowDangles is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
  #153
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I honestly do not see RNH coming to play in this tourney. It wouldn't benefit him at all, he is currently playing in AHL against men and some NHL players. If the NHL was not locked out he would not play in it so I do not see why he would now...

I hope he does but I just have a gut feeling that he won't, it would be worst competition than what he is currently facing and takes time away from his AHL team where he is playing with Eberle/Shultz and soon to be Hall...
It's quite possible, but a lot of that could have been said about Bergeron during the last lockout as well. Edmonton also has a management group with some strong Hockey Canada ties.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
  #154
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
It's quite possible, but a lot of that could have been said about Bergeron during the last lockout as well. Edmonton also has a management group with some strong Hockey Canada ties.
Ya, I've noticed there's been some real strong opposition from a lot of fans in Ed. re: RNH playing at the WJHC. I don't get it personally... how 13 games of AHL experience (what he would miss) is so critical for his development... A lot of fans micro-managing careers of prospects.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 04:31 AM
  #155
clarkebr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I honestly do not see RNH coming to play in this tourney. It wouldn't benefit him at all, he is currently playing in AHL against men and some NHL players. If the NHL was not locked out he would not play in it so I do not see why he would now...

I hope he does but I just have a gut feeling that he won't, it would be worst competition than what he is currently facing and takes time away from his AHL team where he is playing with Eberle/Shultz and soon to be Hall...
Really!! a once in lifteime opportunity to play in a tournament like this and you would think a handful of AHL GAMES will have such a more positive impact on his career.
that is so light headed.

clarkebr is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
  #156
BowDangles
Registered User
 
BowDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Really!! a once in lifteime opportunity to play in a tournament like this and you would think a handful of AHL GAMES will have such a more positive impact on his career.
that is so light headed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ya, I've noticed there's been some real strong opposition from a lot of fans in Ed. re: RNH playing at the WJHC. I don't get it personally... how 13 games of AHL experience (what he would miss) is so critical for his development... A lot of fans micro-managing careers of prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
It's quite possible, but a lot of that could have been said about Bergeron during the last lockout as well. Edmonton also has a management group with some strong Hockey Canada ties.
I just look at it through his eyes, play against harder competition with players he will be playing with for a majority of his career (Hall, Eberle, Shults, etc..) or go play with guys that are 1-2 years younger and not as developed.

The big thing here is if the NHL was not locked out we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now... If the negotiations are anywhere near completed at the time I can't see him taking the chance of missing any NHL action...

I think it is selfish as a Canadian to expect him to play and be mad if he doesn't. Let him decide what his wants to do and stand behind it. I personally am okay if he plays or if he does not.

Bergeron's situation is a bit different, he wasn't playing with the majority of the high end talent from the Bruins in the AHL and he wasn't already Boston's #1C, Bergeron only had 39 points in 71 games and was a second round draft pick that didn't have as much hype as RNH....as much as people like to compare the situations there are a lot of different intangibles involved.

BowDangles is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 04:31 PM
  #157
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,740
vCash: 50
With his play of late, J.C. Lipon of the Kamloops Blazers could potentially contend for a spot on the roster as a 3rd/4th line guy with offensive upside.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
10-23-2012, 05:43 PM
  #158
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I honestly do not see RNH coming to play in this tourney. It wouldn't benefit him at all, he is currently playing in AHL against men and some NHL players. If the NHL was not locked out he would not play in it so I do not see why he would now...

I hope he does but I just have a gut feeling that he won't, it would be worst competition than what he is currently facing and takes time away from his AHL team where he is playing with Eberle/Shultz and soon to be Hall...
I couldn't disagree more. Playing in what would be a best-on-best lockout tournament against the top juniors in the world, and in a pressure-cooker environment where winning for Canada is the only thing, would be more beneficial to his development than three weeks in the AHL. He'll get his fill of the minors when he gets back. He'll never get the world juniors back if he misses it. The Oilers would be idiots to not send him. Thankfully, I don't think they are.

Macman is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 05:36 AM
  #159
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I just look at it through his eyes, play against harder competition with players he will be playing with for a majority of his career (Hall, Eberle, Shults, etc..) or go play with guys that are 1-2 years younger and not as developed.

The big thing here is if the NHL was not locked out we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now... If the negotiations are anywhere near completed at the time I can't see him taking the chance of missing any NHL action...

I think it is selfish as a Canadian to expect him to play and be mad if he doesn't. Let him decide what his wants to do and stand behind it. I personally am okay if he plays or if he does not.

Bergeron's situation is a bit different, he wasn't playing with the majority of the high end talent from the Bruins in the AHL and he wasn't already Boston's #1C, Bergeron only had 39 points in 71 games and was a second round draft pick that didn't have as much hype as RNH....as much as people like to compare the situations there are a lot of different intangibles involved.


There are a few words I'd like to write in response to that, but I'd get about 20 infractions. Enough of the micro-managing, all junior age players if available should, that is should play for their country at a world championships... forget all the other nonsense of draft position, hype, previous year's stats, line-mates and blah blah blah... if he's going to play for Canada internationally (Olympics) at some point, then here's his first step in achieving that goal.... Yes, if he were playing in Edmonton at a PPG average, then yes, he gets the pass...but if he's not in Edmonton then I expect Edmonton to do the right thing an release him to play in the WJHC... because that's what Canadian 19 year old players should be doing...

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 06:07 AM
  #160
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,380
vCash: 500
Huberdeau - RNH - Mackinnon
Scheifele - Strome - Rattie
Danault - Jenner - Hudon
Lipon - Monahan - Camara



Rielly - Hamilton
Murray - Murphy
Harrington - Ouellet



Subban
Fucale

TheFatOne is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
  #161
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Actually, to update, fresh off the rumor mill... The 2013 Junior Team will be comprised of players who played mostly in the August Summit Series + a few additions from the Junior ranks. i.e. RNH will not be invited to play. Anybody else hearing that as well?

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
  #162
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Bang on IMO. RNH get's a hell of a lot more development bang for the buck playing for his country in a high pressure tournament such as the WJCS then he would in a handful of AHL games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Playing in what would be a best-on-best lockout tournament against the top juniors in the world, and in a pressure-cooker environment where winning for Canada is the only thing, would be more beneficial to his development than three weeks in the AHL. He'll get his fill of the minors when he gets back. He'll never get the world juniors back if he misses it. The Oilers would be idiots to not send him. Thankfully, I don't think they are.

espo* is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
  #163
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Have not heard this but if true it is a terrible decision by Hockey Canada.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Actually, to update, fresh off the rumor mill... The 2013 Junior Team will be comprised of players who played mostly in the August Summit Series + a few additions from the Junior ranks. i.e. RNH will not be invited to play. Anybody else hearing that as well?

espo* is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
  #164
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Actually, to update, fresh off the rumor mill... The 2013 Junior Team will be comprised of players who played mostly in the August Summit Series + a few additions from the Junior ranks. i.e. RNH will not be invited to play. Anybody else hearing that as well?
Jeezus, I hope that's not true. I can't imagine why that would be the case.

Macman is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 08:55 AM
  #165
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Jeezus, I hope that's not true. I can't imagine why that would be the case.
I hope it is not the case as well. My guess would be HC cheaping out on the insurance. I remember seeing or reading a news item last year which went something like, in the event of another NHL lockout we'll be unlikely to see another dream team like scenario as was the case in 2005, due to prohibitive insurance costs....

And you think that's why Canadians pay through the roof to attend World Juniors in Canada (20 million dollar profit) so that HC can afford to pay associated costs.)

Like I said, I was just told this and hearing that it brought to mind the news item from last year.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 09:17 AM
  #166
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Have not heard this but if true it is a terrible decision by Hockey Canada.
A terrible decision indeed... but only 1 terrible decision in a long endless list of terrible decisions by Hockey Canada. Nothing they do surprise me.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 10:29 AM
  #167
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I hope it is not the case as well. My guess would be HC cheaping out on the insurance. I remember seeing or reading a news item last year which went something like, in the event of another NHL lockout we'll be unlikely to see another dream team like scenario as was the case in 2005, due to prohibitive insurance costs....

And you think that's why Canadians pay through the roof to attend World Juniors in Canada (20 million dollar profit) so that HC can afford to pay associated costs.)

Like I said, I was just told this and hearing that it brought to mind the news item from last year.
The insurance thing doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't Hockey Canada provide insurance for a full roster of NHLers every year at the world championships? I'm asking cuz I don't know. If they do, insurance for RNH couldn't possibly keep him from going.

Macman is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
  #168
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
The insurance thing doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't Hockey Canada provide insurance for a full roster of NHLers every year at the world championships? I'm asking cuz I don't know. If they do, insurance for RNH couldn't possibly keep him from going.
Well, it confuses the **** out of me too.... I'm just going by the news story from last year and...well you know every year at the WC Hockey Canada yammers on about insurance. All I know insurance costs have risen drastically over the past several years.... which explains why generally over the past several years, since 2010 HC generally takes 20 year old not big contract players to minimize insurance costs. Last year was a little different because Olympics are drawing close and seedings were on the line for Sochi. But Hockey Canada will feed us Bull**** that it's the start of another Olympic cycle and time to work in the new players.... HC is so full of **** it cracks me up.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
  #169
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
Someone want to tweet at Mackenzie? He'd probably do some research and get a response, it's a real hockey story at least.

therealdeal is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 02:22 PM
  #170
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Actually, to update, fresh off the rumor mill... The 2013 Junior Team will be comprised of players who played mostly in the August Summit Series + a few additions from the Junior ranks. i.e. RNH will not be invited to play. Anybody else hearing that as well?
Can you say where you heard this rumour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Someone want to tweet at Mackenzie? He'd probably do some research and get a response, it's a real hockey story at least.
Good idea, he might be particularly inclined as TSN is showing the 1991 WJC gold medal game tonight.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 02:33 PM
  #171
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post


Good idea, he might be particularly inclined as TSN is showing the 1991 WJC gold medal game tonight.
I tweeted him, maybe if we get a couple people asking the same type of question we'll hear sooner/ever.

therealdeal is offline  
Old
10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
  #172
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Can you say where you heard this rumour?



Good idea, he might be particularly inclined as TSN is showing the 1991 WJC gold medal game tonight.
From a friend who sticks his nose into hockey stories... I never asked from where he gleaned such info. but I put in an e-mail request for him to divulge from where he heard the rumor.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
  #173
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Luke Lessio had surgery yesterday on his hand, per Bob McKenzie, out up to 3 months, so there is pretty much no chance he gets to try out for the World Juniors.

Based on what I had seen in the 4 game series and this year with the Generals, he would have been on the team for sure

leafsfuture is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
  #174
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Please stop posting
Ya and what do you know about it?

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
  #175
sickest flow bro
Registered User
 
sickest flow bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Luke Lessio had surgery yesterday on his hand, per Bob McKenzie, out up to 3 months, so there is pretty much no chance he gets to try out for the World Juniors.

Based on what I had seen in the 4 game series and this year with the Generals, he would have been on the team for sure
I really think he would have been on the team as well, we'll miss his speed on the big ice surface in Russia. Hopefully MacKinnon makes it as he has blazing speed as well.

sickest flow bro is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.