HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 06:57 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
*retracting one foot from the ledge*
I've maintained that the Whalepack will be okay this season. They have enough offense to compete, and all they really need is average goaltending to be a decent team. Talbot will help in that respect. The defense has been crap, but guys like Vernace, Collins and Pyett are fine as AHL defenseman. They just need to settle in. Same for Gilroy.

It's just pain.
Old
10-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I've maintained that the Whalepack will be okay this season. They have enough offense to compete, and all they really need is average goaltending to be a decent team. Talbot will help in that respect. The defense has been crap, but guys like Vernace, Collins and Pyett are fine as AHL defenseman. They just need to settle in. Same for Gilroy.
What's the point of having players like Collins Vernace and Pyett as leaders If they don't have much NHL experience to help the younger players make it? Whats the point of having AHL players in the system if they have little chance of being NHL regulars? Wouldn't the Rangers want players who actually have a chance to be NHL players in the AHL? For example Newbury seems to be good at the AHL level but sucks at the NHL level. At least Gilroy played over 150 games in the NHL.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:17 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
What's the point of having players like Collins Vernace and Pyett as leaders If they don't have much NHL experience to help the younger players make it? Whats the point of having AHL players in the system if they have little chance of being NHL regulars? Wouldn't the Rangers want players who actually have a chance to be NHL players in the AHL? For example Newbury seems to be good at the AHL level but sucks at the NHL level. At least Gilroy played over 150 games in the NHL.
It's about trying to bring these kids along in a winning atmosphere. A guy like Newbury may not be much more than an emergency fill in at the NHL level but he's a really good AHL player. He's a fiery, gritty guy who won't be pushed around. It's also the things off the ice--young players need to have some veterans around them who have been through all kinds of situations. These guys know the ropes--can help younger guys get acclimated in their new surroundings.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It's about trying to bring these kids along in a winning atmosphere. A guy like Newbury may not be much more than an emergency fill in at the NHL level but he's a really good AHL player. He's a fiery, gritty guy who won't be pushed around. It's also the things off the ice--young players need to have some veterans around them who have been through all kinds of situations. These guys know the ropes--can help younger guys get acclimated in their new surroundings.
Yeah, there is no sense in having a bunch of kids flailing together.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yeah, there is no sense in having a bunch of kids flailing together.
I understand that but wouldn't it make sense to have players with more NHL experience like Wade Redden....I'd rather have a group of kids be around players who have played more than 30 or so games in the NHL. This is why I didn't mind Redden in the AHL

Old
10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
I understand that but wouldn't it make sense to have players with more NHL experience like Wade Redden....I'd rather have a group of kids be around players who have played more than 30 or so games in the NHL. This is why I didn't mind Redden in the AHL
Ideally Redden would be playing with them, but obviously the reason he isn't is unavoidable.

There aren't a lot of 300+ NHL game players playing in the AHL right now. They'd rather be elsewhere.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Redden is in the AHL because of pretty unique circumstances I think. I don't think there are a lot of guys who are willing to go play AHL hockey after finishing an NHL career. They've got money, they've played at the highest level for years - once they're out of NHL shape they're done playing professionally. Therefore, the experienced guys who anchor AHL teams tend to be guys like Newbury who aren't regular NHL talents but are good AHL players and have been around for a while.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Ideally Redden would be playing with them, but obviously the reason he isn't is unavoidable.

There aren't a lot of 300+ NHL game players playing in the AHL right now. They'd rather be elsewhere.
I am pretty certain Wade Redden would love to be elsewhere in the NHL playing now.

As am I sure that he really dislikes the brass that put him in this compromising position.

OTOH - he wound up there on his own accord and the hefty compensation he is still being rewarded is more than enough to swallow any moral gripes.

Move on... just buy him out please on one of them one-timers

Old
10-25-2012, 03:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

No video of the Miller goal from last night, yet?

Old
10-25-2012, 03:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
No video of the Miller goal from last night, yet?

Sweet editing job. Would it have killed them to show us a few seconds before he made his move to beat the defender? Hehe.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Been very impressed with Miller thus far.

Honestly, I thought he was going to be a little overmatched at the pro level this early (not physically, but skill wise), but he has been proving me wrong.

Granted i've only seen two games, the season opener and the last game, but he's been fairly noticeable out their in both and he has a point in every game except one i believe this season.

Once Kreider starts picking up his offensive game the Packs offense will be looking good. But wow, is the goaltending just beyond brutal. Can we signed Montoya to an AHL contract

Old
10-25-2012, 07:07 PM
ZacUSNYR

I hear myself cheering in the video rofl

Old
10-25-2012, 07:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Sweet editing job. Would it have killed them to show us a few seconds before he made his move to beat the defender? Hehe.
Try this:

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/...ce=twitterfeed

Old
10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Thanks.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Beautiful goal by Miller & also the snipe job by Yogan!!! Like that tic tac toe with Segal, Hrivik, & Jean, too!!!

Old
10-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Wonderful! I didn't see this thread or think to look for it til now! This lockout has been a pain but it has turned me on to AHL and the SEL so meh, win some lose some.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:

Old
10-26-2012, 08:43 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
In the for what it's worth department, a buddy of mine recently sold a bed to Matt Gilroy. When he talked hockey with him, Gilroy said that he signed a contract with the Whale for now but would be back with the Rangers when the lockout ended. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea, but the guy has no reason to lie to me about it unless he just misunderstood what Gilroy was saying...

Old
10-26-2012, 11:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Kyle Jean is really intriguing.

Could be a diamond in the rough.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
In the for what it's worth department, a buddy of mine recently sold a bed to Matt Gilroy. When he talked hockey with him, Gilroy said that he signed a contract with the Whale for now but would be back with the Rangers when the lockout ended. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea, but the guy has no reason to lie to me about it unless he just misunderstood what Gilroy was saying...
Jeez Gilroy doesn't make enough money to buy his own bed (new)???

He must be a cheap skate, lol.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Nich

Jeez those goalie stats are TERRIBLE

Old
10-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:

Lol, was thinking the same thing. Especially with the bedbug problems in the US.
Happy itching Gilroy!

Old
10-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Who said that the person selling him the bed wasn't a salesperson? Not everyone buys everything through the internet.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Who said that the person selling him the bed wasn't a salesperson? Not everyone buys everything through the internet.
Bed Salesman? Sleepy's Employee? I guess my understanding is that beds pretty much sell themselves when you test them out and lay on them... The way the post was worded it made me think of a Craig's List transaction.....

Old
10-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Obviously Gilroy would say anything to make his bed salesperson think he's cool....

Closed Thread