HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
This is a good write up on the potential pricing out of the current Isles fans in Brooklyn.

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/10/...r_a4&eref=sihp

The Barclays Center will seat around 14,500 for hockey and Bettman said that number could increase to about 15,000. He added that, compared to the Isles’ current home at the 16,234-seat Nassau Coliseum, “The thousand seats don’t make a material difference.”

Well, first, an extra thousand seats do make a difference. If the Islanders sold 1,200 more seats last season at their average ticket price, that would have represented an additional $2 million in revenue for Charles Wang’s team.

But here’s a bigger reason why Islander fans might find the small size of the Barclays Center problematic. Chances are that ticket prices for games in Brooklyn could end up being among the most expensive in the NHL.

With a reduced capacity, the team may be forced to charge a steep price in order to keep up with NHL economics,

10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Jim Boomer Gorden, on NHL Home Ice (who is a huge Islander fan), said he is happy overall with the move...but fears that Ranger-Islander games will draw too many Ranger fans. I felt like calling in and saying "Have you been to the Coliseum lately?"

I found the " MSG East" always funny, you recognize that most of the NYR fans at NVMC are from Long Island for 3 reasons: 1- they will not go to MSG because of the train or 2- cannot afford a ticket to MSG. 3- easy to get to than MSG.

Please note, when the Islanders were rocking (hasn't been for a long time ) we have taken over MSG.

. Now realize that a lot of NYI fans work in NYC and can never make a game during the week now they can. ( Not that it is the main reason the NYI have been killed on attendance for the last 8 years) You will have the most NYI season ticket holders in a long time. *** If the team does not perform well in the first 2 years, that will drop.

The only thing I will not like is the corporate seats which IMO kills MSG and TO due to non-fans taking up seats.

With BK, its an open territory, you have the NYR fans yes... but you will have new hockey fans. Brooklyn has been building up for years. Alot of people are not from NY.or hockey fans..Brooklyn will support Brooklyn.

Tell you right now, I have friends who live in BK and will be NYI fans. With the new arena, you are going to have a lot of NYI fans come back to attend games. Along with the additional increase in season ticket holders.

We will have bigger sponsorships, Wang will spend more money***(supposedly) and FA's will want to come to BK... The Islanders will have a good lease opposed to having the worst lease in professional sports

. The arena is great and has already been hurting MSG, renovations @ MSG still will not compare with the Barclays except capacity and if you think the walkway above the ice will be a good idea ..give that a few years.

Once they expand it,( inside renovations) probably by 2015, it will fit close to 15,500 and they are going to work on the upper deck obstructions.

I live in Babylon Village and NVMC is a 20 minute drive from me but I rather take the train to BK to see the game. Along of NYI fan are along the same line. I will remain being a season ticket holder.I can get to BK now faster than MSG. Brooklyn is only 20 miles away from NVMC

We did move away from "out east" suffolk fan base but that we will have just increased our fanbase tremendously by the time we play in BK with new fans and old fans coming back

IMO, a NYR fan best hope was for NYI to stay in Nassau County.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
Well, to be fair, I don't think the Debbies' move to Newark was entirely about more access to Manhattan.

Where they were in E. Rutherford, they were highly inaccessible even to the people in North Jersey.

Now that they are playing in a transit hub like Newark, it's still better than the situation they left behind because they are more visible to more economic opportunity in NJ's largest city.

To be honest, the Debbies do really well for an NHL team in a city whose population is only appromixately 1/4 White.
I'm sorry, but when you can walk up to a window for a game 7 in a playoff series or a Stanley Cup game and BUY A TICKET, you are not doing well.

And for the record, he was talking about when the Devils first moved to the area in the 80's.

The thought and expectation was that in 20 years, they would have this HUGE fan base.

When you cannot sellout PO and SCF games, you do NOT have a massive fan base.

Its not possible.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
from the tone of this thread, i get the feeling that alot of you guys under estimate how many Islanders fans are IN the city already.

Growing up a mile from the garden, there was alot more than should have been expected. Trust me when I tell you there were ALOT of islanders fans in Hell Kitchen.

Yes, there were more Rangers fans, but it was not an 80/20 split.

I believe you guys are underestimating the actual number of fans in the city that found it problematic to get out to Nassau for games on a regular basis.

What I also see has being dismissed here is that this is now a NYC team. With NYC money available to them in terms of marketing dollars. The off-set in less seats being sold withh be made up for and then some.

Finally, they are going to be an attractive destination for some prime UFA's. The Islandrs played in one of the worst buildings in an area no one really wanted to go to for games. Now? A new building, an up and coming team, an intimate arena that is easily accessible. I have no doubt will sell out regardless of price.

You guys can have your opinions on this, but I believe that they will be more than fine in a 14.5k seat arena for the next 15 years.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This is a good write up on the potential pricing out of the current Isles fans in Brooklyn.

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/10/...r_a4&eref=sihp

The Barclays Center will seat around 14,500 for hockey and Bettman said that number could increase to about 15,000. He added that, compared to the Isles’ current home at the 16,234-seat Nassau Coliseum, “The thousand seats don’t make a material difference.”

Well, first, an extra thousand seats do make a difference. If the Islanders sold 1,200 more seats last season at their average ticket price, that would have represented an additional $2 million in revenue for Charles Wang’s team.

But here’s a bigger reason why Islander fans might find the small size of the Barclays Center problematic. Chances are that ticket prices for games in Brooklyn could end up being among the most expensive in the NHL.

With a reduced capacity, the team may be forced to charge a steep price in order to keep up with NHL economics,
Pains me to say it but Bettman is right. $2 million worth of cheap seats are irrelevant if they sell out the suites/luxury boxes. NVMC has 32 suites, Barclays has over 100.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
So Islanders is no longer appropriate.
So lets try some new ones.

NY Interlopers
NY Carpetbaggers
Long Island Economic Refugees
"So lets try some new ones:"

Brooklyn Coneys
The Coney Islanders

Old
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
"So lets try some new ones:"

Brooklyn Coneys
The Coney Islanders
I said yesterday that the team can offer admission to Coney Island for every season ticket holder

Old
10-25-2012, 12:51 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The Islanders were already in the Rangers territory.
Depends upon your perspective.

Arguably, they were like the Flyers in that they were close to if not contained within the external regions of the 'tri-state' region, which could possibly be considered Rangers 'territory'.

Unarguably, if you view the NEW YORK rangers as a NYS team, they clearly were already within the territory.

But arguably, this is new ground.
The Long Island franchise, relocating to Brooklyn, is more deeply penetrating the core of the Rangers origin point, NYC.

I disagree that just because the relocation is to another borough that it is far enough to justify no compensation. In fact, since this is arguably closer than, and a greater penetration of territory, and a violation of the exclusive right of the franchise to within its territory, I would say a lot more than what was given up for the Devils to enjoy being as close as across the Hudson is in order.

In a similar vein, if Jets owner Woody Johnson and Mayor Bloomberg had succeeded some years ago with the relocation of a stadium to the west side where Javits is now, putting them only blocks away from MSG, had that gone through and the Isles relocated there, would the Rangers still not be entitled to any compensation?

Old
10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Baby Punisher

This move for the Rangers is very good news. The NYR will now have 3 state of the art arenas in the NYC metro area that they & the fans can call home, & all just a short train ride away from MSG. Thank you Chales Wang.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

oL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I found the " MSG East" always funny, you recognize that most of the NYR fans at NVMC are from Long Island for 3 reasons: 1- they will not go to MSG because of the train or 2- cannot afford a ticket to MSG. 3- easy to get to than MSG.

Please note, when the Islanders were rocking (hasn't been for a long time ) we have taken over MSG.

. Now realize that a lot of NYI fans work in NYC and can never make a game during the week now they can. ( Not that it is the main reason the NYI have been killed on attendance for the last 8 years) You will have the most NYI season ticket holders in a long time. *** If the team does not perform well in the first 2 years, that will drop.

The only thing I will not like is the corporate seats which IMO kills MSG and TO due to non-fans taking up seats.

With BK, its an open territory, you have the NYR fans yes... but you will have new hockey fans. Brooklyn has been building up for years. Alot of people are not from NY.or hockey fans..Brooklyn will support Brooklyn.

Tell you right now, I have friends who live in BK and will be NYI fans. With the new arena, you are going to have a lot of NYI fans come back to attend games. Along with the additional increase in season ticket holders.

We will have bigger sponsorships, Wang will spend more money***(supposedly) and FA's will want to come to BK... The Islanders will have a good lease opposed to having the worst lease in professional sports

. The arena is great and has already been hurting MSG, renovations @ MSG still will not compare with the Barclays except capacity and if you think the walkway above the ice will be a good idea ..give that a few years.

Once they expand it,( inside renovations) probably by 2015, it will fit close to 15,500 and they are going to work on the upper deck obstructions.

I live in Babylon Village and NVMC is a 20 minute drive from me but I rather take the train to BK to see the game. Along of NYI fan are along the same line. I will remain being a season ticket holder.I can get to BK now faster than MSG. Brooklyn is only 20 miles away from NVMC

We did move away from "out east" suffolk fan base but that we will have just increased our fanbase tremendously by the time we play in BK with new fans and old fans coming back

IMO, a NYR fan best hope was for NYI to stay in Nassau County.
You seriously believe the Islanders or Barclay's is any sort of threat to the Rangers and MSG? Are you delusional?

The Barclay's has "already hurt MSG"? MSG hasn't been open since the Barclay's opened. MSG is undergoing renovations. The arena is going to be one of the most modern facilities in the league. Larger capacity. Has the history. Is in the middle of Manhattan.

Best hope?

Get back to us when you're little team survives 86+ years, four major wars, three of which included drafts and slews of NHL players serving, economic disasters, several lockouts, ran another local team out of existence, and dominates the local market.

You think your the new dog in town or something? New tiny arena, same old garbage Islanders.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 10-25-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
TrueBlue9

Winter Classic

I think with this geographic move and their young star(s) this may all but guarantee a spot for the islanders in a winter classic. Maybe even the one guaranteed to the rangers

Old
10-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
I think with this geographic move and their young star(s) this may all but guarantee a spot for the islanders in a winter classic. Maybe even the one guaranteed to the rangers
The Rangers are pretty much already guaranteed. Still, with the Rangers and Islanders being in the same market, they probably won't do it.

If they get two big markets in the WC, it will get ratings for both markets, instead of this case, where there would be only one.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Old
10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

It seems like Gilbert Brule will be released from his contract.

Quote:
Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg
NEWS: Gilbert Brulé as expected released from his contract with Zurich. The former 1st rounder had no goals since start of season.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
oL

You seriously believe the Islanders or Barclay's is any sort of threat to the Rangers and MSG? Are you delusional?

The Barclay's has "already hurt MSG"? MSG hasn't been open since the Barclay's opened. MSG is undergoing renovations. The arena is going to be one of the most modern facilities in the league. Larger capacity. Has the history. Is in the middle of Manhattan.

Best hope?

Get back to us when you're little team survives 86+ years, four major wars, three of which included drafts and slews of NHL players serving, economic disasters, several lockouts, ran another local team out of existence, and dominates the local market.

You think your the new dog in town or something? New tiny arena, same old garbage Islanders.
You can't say the Isles can be a threat to the Rangers now for obvious reasons but to say Barclays isn't a threat to MSG is ridiculous. A brand new arena is built 20 minutes away from your arena and will definitely charge less to rent out the arena for concerts and you think it isn't a threat? MSG charges a ton to rent out the building for the night and with Prudential, Nassau, Barclays, and Izod all in the area and charging less, concerts and such may look elsewhere to make more money. WWE about 5 years ago actually stopped booking events at MSG because of how much it cost. To flat out dismiss Barclays is ridiculous.

10-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Edge

I think it's good for the NHL, the Islanders and fans.

I want the Rangers to beat the Islanders every time, just like I want them to beat the Devils. But I don't want either of those teams to leave.

Ticket prices will be higher, as they are for most acitivities in the city. But the reality is that some people are lamenting the loss of something that went away a long time ago.

As for competition between MSG and Barclay's, I don't see it being anything major. MSG traditionally is not hurting for bookings, in fact that's exactly why they could afford to raise their prices. I don't see that changing any time soon. MSG's location, in the center of the world so to speak, will always give it a competitive advantage. I don't think it has to be the only game in town to achieve high profits.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:03 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
In a similar vein, if Jets owner Woody Johnson and Mayor Bloomberg had succeeded some years ago with the relocation of a stadium to the west side where Javits is now, putting them only blocks away from MSG, had that gone through and the Isles relocated there, would the Rangers still not be entitled to any compensation?
The Isles have paid their fees when they came into the league and like someone else said could move anywhere in the LI,BK, or Queens area without giving compensation. If the Isles wanted to move into the city they would then have to compensate Dolan, who i also believed was a big reason of why the Jets West Side Stadium was blocked. He didn't go for it.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:46 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm sorry, but when you can walk up to a window for a game 7 in a playoff series or a Stanley Cup game and BUY A TICKET, you are not doing well.

And for the record, he was talking about when the Devils first moved to the area in the 80's.

The thought and expectation was that in 20 years, they would have this HUGE fan base.

When you cannot sellout PO and SCF games, you do NOT have a massive fan base.

Its not possible.
I never said that they had a massive fanbase.

And didn't I just say that their move from the Meadowlands to Newark was better?

That's fine & dandy that the original plan for the Debbies when they first moved into the area didn't work out. But now they rightly rectified it a lot by going to Newark.

I see the same thing happening for the Isles. Their situation in Nassau didn't have great legs to stand on unless Wang got his plan A off the ground: which was to not just build a new arena there but to have have a real estate development similar to what Flatbush is getting(albeit a way more scaled-down version than Ratner wanted...and far from what Wang would have continued to demand in Nassau himself).

And it's definitely inarguable now that the Debbies do well for themselves considering the demographics of their current situation. The Isles demographics will be far, far more favorable when they move in. I don't think they will have much problem establishing a strong, sizeable fanbase as long as they are competitive going in.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The Devils aren't doing all that great. They're in debt, and they still don't have a sizable fan base comparable to the Rangers or Flyers (their main business competition).

The Devils moved further away from MSG, the Islanders moved significantly closer to MSG. To a place that has a sizable amount of Rangers fans, a bitter rival, those people and their children are very doubtful to change to Islanders fans. They're in debt. And have been to the playoffs once since the last lockout.

The Rangers are one of the top profitable teams in the NHL. They have always been since their conception, while the Islanders and Devils are among the least profitable.

Its a Rangers dominated market. Always has been and always will be. Despite a combined total of 7 Stanley Cup Championships to 1 in the last 26 years. The Rangers control the market through that sort of success by their neighbors.

And what sort of success would the Islanders need to take any sizable portion of the Rangers market from them? As if the Rangers won't continue to be as good or better of a product and continue to grow their fan base and market as well. In the last few years I've created 6 brand new Ranger's fans on my own. Wife, kids, friends...not counting how many since childhood...that's one small case.

There are a lot of what ifs.

There is no doubt the Islanders got themselves a decent new arena. However, its location is not ideal for them. And they will always have a steep uphill battle.

Again, 7 Cups to 1, and we are still talking about hypotheticals, because its still a Rangers dominated market.

Look at the demographic poll trends as an example. The two geographic areas that the Devils and Islanders are and will be contending for their share of the market, have the most amount of Rangers fans.

What if the Rangers win the Stanley Cup soon.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 10-26-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old
10-26-2012, 12:40 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The Devils aren't doing all that great. They're in debt, and they still don't have a sizable fan base comparable to the Rangers or Flyers (their main business competition).

The Devils moved further away from MSG, the Islanders moved significantly closer to MSG. To a place that has a sizable amount of Rangers fans, a bitter rival, those people and their children are very doubtful to change to Islanders fans. They're in debt. And have been to the playoffs once since the last lockout.

The Rangers are one of the top profitable teams in the NHL. They have always been since their conception, while the Islanders and Devils are among the least profitable.

Its a Rangers dominated market. Always has been and always will be. Despite a combined total of 7 Stanley Cup Championships to 1 in the last 26 years. The Rangers control the market through that sort of success by their neighbors.

And what sort of success would the Islanders need to take any sizable portion of the Rangers market from them? As if the Rangers won't continue to be as good or better of a product and continue to grow their fan base and market as well. Since 2005 I've created 6 brand new Ranger's fans on my own. Wife, kids, friends...not counting how many since childhood...

There are a lot of what ifs.

There is no doubt the Islanders got themselves a decent new arena. However, its location is not ideal for them. And they will always have a steep uphill battle.

Again, 7 Cups to 1, and we are still talking about hypotheticals, because its still a Rangers dominated market.

What if the Rangers win the Stanley Cup soon.
Once again, never said the Debbies are doing great with their fanbase.

But, they are still doing considerably better now than when they were in the Meadowlands. And for a team in a city that's just 1/4 white(there are twice as many blacks in Newark as whites overall) they are on solid enough footing under their circumstances of being in the area.

As for the Isles, Brooklyn has about as many people as Nassau & Suffolk combined with a tremendously greater population density, vastly better mass transit options, & roughly half the borough's population is white. They'll be fine.

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 10-26-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old
10-26-2012, 12:49 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Maybe, but again, people talk about this as if the Rangers hit some sort of limit in regards to their own growth.

The Rangers fan base continues to grow and if they win a championship any time soon, it will boom.

The Islanders may be fine, but fine as how well a minor league team does within a market that has a big league team.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Greg02

The Isles' fanbase is never going to take on the Rangers' fan base, but in a city as big as NY, they don't have to. They're never going to be a team of NYR/TOR/MTL size, but they will be successful enough that the team isn't going to collapse. Which is good, because I want Islanders fans to have hope so we can crush it.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:59 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
The Isles' fanbase is never going to take on the Rangers' fan base, but in a city as big as NY, they don't have to. They're never going to be a team of NYR/TOR/MTL size, but they will be successful enough that the team isn't going to collapse. Which is good, because I want Islanders fans to have hope so we can crush it.
Thank you.

Exactly what I've been trying to say.

In simple terms, think of it as with Los Angeles & the relationship between Lakers/Clippers or Dodgers/Angels.

Will the Rangers fans invade Barclays regularly? Of course, but who cares?

Now, the Isles will be in position to sell out games vs. the Debbies, the Flyers, Pens on a regular basis. Not to mention the other marquee teams.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
The Isles have paid their fees when they came into the league and like someone else said could move anywhere in the LI,BK, or Queens area without giving compensation. If the Isles wanted to move into the city they would then have to compensate Dolan, who i also believed was a big reason of why the Jets West Side Stadium was blocked. He didn't go for it.
This more specifically answers the question, thank you.

The bottom line is, apparently when the Isles got started, they were allowed anywhere on the (Long) Island, and presumably there is a specific clause to that effect, AND the geographical reality that Brooklyn (and/or Queens) is part of Long Island supercedes the reality that those locations are also boros in the City of New York, which is the home turf of the Rangers, not just Manhattan.

I don't think that is fair, but I understand your explanation.
The Devils had themselves situated across the river, and they had to pay, but they were still technically not only in another municipal or equivalent location, but actually in another state!

The Rangers are getting gypped, IMO, if the above stands.
The clearly consented to another franchise within NYS, on the 'Island' but not one which additionally included any other NYC boro, including Brooklyn/Queens.

What we need is a class action lawsuit!!!

Thanks again for the insight.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:

Arguably, they were like the Flyers in that they were close to if not contained within the external regions of the 'tri-state' region, which could possibly be considered Rangers 'territory'.

Unarguably, if you view the NEW YORK rangers as a NYS team, they clearly were already within the territory.

The Long Island franchise, relocating to Brooklyn, is more deeply penetrating the core of the Rangers origin point, NYC.

I disagree that just because the relocation is to another borough that it is far enough to justify no compensation. In fact, since this is arguably closer than, and a greater penetration of territory, and a violation of the exclusive right of the franchise to within its territory, I would say a lot more than what was given up for the Devils to enjoy being as close as across the Hudson is in order.

I was talking about within the leagues bylaws, which is really the only thing that matters when you're talking about compensation. Everything else is just hot air, which isn't surprising.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
AceintheSpace*

Quote:

As someone from Upstate, I always did, cause NY to me is the state, and the city is NYC.

Closed Thread