HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[Game 5] Bingo @ Hershey | Octobeer 21st, 2012 | 5:00 pm

Old
10-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
good question. I agree one of the best comparables is michalek (or ovechkin lite). I was going to answer your other post talking about michalek. Ideally i'd like to see michalek on the 2nd line. As good of a yr as he had, i've never seen real good chemistry and/or consistency playing on the top line. There is just something about him that holds him back from being a legit top liner on a strong team imo. He can def. play there but i don't think it's the ideal situation.
Could turn out to be the same for Z. Maybe not.

(i'm guessing you disagree with that though)

Whatever the case if Z turns out like michalek or slightly better i don't think we'll be disappointed.
I think they might even have a similar personality too.
Z probably has better anticipation.
What are the other diff. you see between those 2?
Can't really be disappointed at all if he becomes what Michalek is.

I've said this before, when I watched those two skate side by side at practice last pre-season, they matched each other stride for stride, the strides even looked close to identical. As far as frame goes, Mika may well fill out to Milan's size.

I haven't seen enough of Mika to say he's probably as good as Milan is when he gets alone with the goalie. I think both guys are very good at getting alone with the goalie though. Mika had tons of breakaways last year and he's had a handful already in Bingo this year. And as we've been talking about I think Mika's shooting ability is clearly better. I think raw puck skills goes to Mika as well. Hockey sense is more of a toss up...it's what holds Michalek back.

Both these guys don't want extended time with the puck because they don't feel their surrounding as well as top puck carriers do. For those two guys, it's get the puck and try and make something happen as fast as possible. For Milan it's usually burst towards the net...for Mika it can be the same, but I think he's got a realm to his offensive game that Milan doesn't nearly as much and that's the ability to score from long range.

I think something will have gone wrong in Z's progression if he isn't a more well rounded offensive player than Michalek. But don't get me wrong, things going "wrong" with player's development isn't exactly a rare thing. But I do like the way we've handled prospects lately. I think Mika's raw skills outdo Michalek's and watching the two at practice, fooling around, playing with the puck it seemed to me that one obviously had a little more in terms of upside.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

^^

Yeah, i agree with all of that. It really is crazy how similar they are. I do think Z has the potential to become a more dynamic well rounded player too. Would be great to see a line of Z-Spezza-Michalek for a while. Bob cole would not be able to call that game.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
I miss Brian Lee. He was just an awkward fun guy to watch.
WTF? Why?

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:03 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Heatley whiffed a lot on his one-timers. And I mean, a lot. I was in the stands for a lot of his tenure with Ottawa, and he'd cruise in with that stick held high, and he'd whip it around, and often would lose his balance or fall, or flub the shot.

He scored a lot of goals, but in a lot of different ways.

His much vaunted one-timer was a dangerous weapon when he got a handle on the puck, but more importantly, he scored in pretty much every possible way you can imagine.

That is what made him so dangerous for the Senators.

He relied much less on his one-timer than a guy like Stamkos, for example.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote