HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Luke Adam: When do we start to worry?

Old
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Luke Adam: When do we start to worry?

I know plenty of people are worried, and have been worried for a while. But at what point do we question whether he even has NHL upside?

I consider myself a relatively even-keeled person, that translates to things like this. I very rarely get too high on players or too low. Throughout Adam's success last season I wasn't really too high on him, as I think it was obvious to most that his success was a result of the tremendous play of Vanek and Pominville.

Once his play tailed off it was obvious he needed to be demoted, the demotion came quite a while after it probably should have. We all hoped he would bounce back after some time in the AHL, and by most accounts he was pretty bad (I only caught two games and he was pretty terrible).

Fast-foward to this season, most of us are hoping he can find his game. I've seen three games and in each game he was the worst player on the ice. By most accounts, he has been one of the worst players on the team so far this season.

So, where are we at with Adam? What are our expectations moving forward? Is it at the point where he's going to struggle to maintain a spot in an AHL lineup? Is he eventually going to find his game and bounce back to be a legitimate NHL prospect?

Thoughts?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Clock

Very honestly, I've already written him off from a guy to be excited about for the big club. I'm expecting little in the way of NHL production. That's my gut.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
sabresfan129103

I can't say he's been the worst player on the ice, but for the most part he's been invisible.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

I've considered him a candidate to be tossed in a trade package for more than a year now, so I'm not worried. I went to nearly every game at Blue Cross down the stretch last year, and he played some of the most uninspired, awful hockey imaginable. It wasn't so much about the lack of production as the lack of heart, effort, and fundamentals. He could still make the NHL (if not here, elsewhere), but it's going to be at bottom six LW. Once you lower the expectations that he will be a difference maker to that he may be serviceable, it's much easier.

Rhett4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:46 PM
barcs

I think he's toast. Toward the end of last season with Rochester his confidence seemed shot and nothing has changed this year. Maybe it's just his demeanor, but it seems like he doesn't care. He'll have a bad shift, lazily come off and just sit there chewing on his mouth guard. Foligno on the other hand had turnover at the end of a shift against Grand Rapids and came to the bench shouting and slamming his stick on the boards - clearly pissed at himself. Guys motivate themselves in different ways but you've gotta at least act like you care a little.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 07:18 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I've considered him a candidate to be tossed in a trade package for more than a year now, so I'm not worried. I went to nearly every game at Blue Cross down the stretch last year, and he played some of the most uninspired, awful hockey imaginable. It wasn't so much about the lack of production as the lack of heart, effort, and fundamentals. He could still make the NHL (if not here, elsewhere), but it's going to be at bottom six LW. Once you lower the expectations that he will be a difference maker to that he may be serviceable, it's much easier.
I do that for every single prospect no matter what hype they have when they get drafted. The problem stems from a healthy portion of fans don't do that and have fantasy high expectations due to draft position and/or production in a minor/junior league.

Low expectations ... Low disappointment

As an example, I expected Biron to be a decent NHL goalie. Well, for a handful of years he was more than just decent. Overall I wasn't disappointed with Biron in an NHL environment. The same can be said for Pominville. I just thought he'd be a decent player. Overall, I think he's more than just decent.

With Luke Adam, I was pleased he did well in the beginning of last season. And it was unfortunate he tailed off, but certainly not shocked. I expect him to be the new Mark Mancari. He'll float in and out of the AHL and NHL throughout his career. If he steps it up and finds a long term place on an NHL club, I'll be surprised and happy for him. Maybe he'll have a Tyler Pyatt type of career

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
jfb392

He looks like he forgot how to play hockey, honestly.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:57 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Sometimes kids just don't make it.

I think Adam is one of those players.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post

Completely agree... he looks like he's out for a leisurely skate at times. Not active, doesn't seem overly involved, doesn't initiate much of anything... shadows the opposition... looks and plays unmotivated.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Very honestly, I've already written him off from a guy to be excited about for the big club. I'm expecting little in the way of NHL production. That's my gut.
This is my POV exactly.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:45 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
this.....I wrote him off last year...Here's hoping we can ship him to someone

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:56 PM
DJN21

I think hes a waste of size....if he was underwhelming as a 5'10 winger I wouldnt care...the fact he should at least be a big-bodied bottom 6 guy disgusts me

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:07 AM
Luceni

I think he could develope into a solid 4th line center - elsewhere.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I think he could develope into a solid 4th line center - elsewhere.
Nah, it's either a scoring line or AHL.
I see him as a new Dominic Pittis... Not quite there for the NHL, very good in the minors.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:05 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Not yet. I give him at least 2 more seasons.
Not like he blocks any top prospects way up or anything.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I have an unfounded suspicion that he will revive when/if he gets out of Buffalo's system. Something seems seriously off right now. Maybe he turns it around on his own... but right now, he looks like he's lost his way.

10-25-2012, 09:58 AM

I have no idea, does it look like he is destined for the NHL at this moment? no way... Can that all change? absolutely

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
UncleBenny

I am fairly vocal about my dislike for Adam at games, but I thought he did actually look better on Tuesday in Buffalo. Maybe he'll turn things around? Doubt it, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
mercy

We'll probably ship him off somewhere where he'll produce respectable numbers.

mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:26 AM
hockey18

have watched luke for a long time. In the last few games i have seen things from him that i have not seen before. He was actually hustling and forechecking and hitting people. I agree he has been extremely toughto watch at times with his selfish play and uninspired skating but lets not forget that these are young kids we are dealing with and they go thru alot of mental maturing before getting there heads on right. Happens al the time, i wouldn't write him off just yet. He is a good kid and has a ton of talent, just needs to get mental and physical working together.

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
pigpen65

I think when he is put back at his correct position and not able to produce would be the logical time to start to worry. The failed experiment with putting him on the wing which has never worked is just poor coaching and development.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:07 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
I think when he is put back at his correct position and not able to produce would be the logical time to start to worry. The failed experiment with putting him on the wing which has never worked is just poor coaching and development.
LOLWUT?

If you can't play wing, you can't play center.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:07 PM
gdsmack267

As a season ticket holder for the Amerks who watched him here most of last year and so far this year your time to worry was about 13 months ago. Im not sure if he just doesn't care or if his speed is really that bad but he just doesn't have NHL talent. The only thing he has going for him is good velocity on his wrist shot but that doesnt help him since 75% of his shots get blocked.

gdsmack267 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
LOLWUT?

If you can't play wing, you can't play center.
Not exactly true, some people need to play center so they are constantly moving, Cody Hodgson for example isnt much of a winger, Ennis is a better center than winger because he is always moving. Even Jamie Benn became a better player when he moved to center because he could become more of a play maker. I dont think that moving center will make much of a difference for Adam though.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Brian Campbell....

I personally had not seen much of him last year once demoted, so I cannot comment. However, I do not like to give up on guys too quickly, unless we can get something else we need in moving him. Disgruntled or underachieving player for another of the same ilk. (Briere, Hodgson trades)

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote