HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

OFFICIAL: Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 -all discussion IN HERE *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Then those are the fans that will be replaced by those from Queens, Brooklyn etc.

Look this is about evolution and the one thing that cannot be argued is that in order for the team to survive it needed to evolve.

Nassau was not going to happen and Wang could not remain stagnant.
I agree completely. I can't wait for the new fan experience to be honest. It became way too family oriented. I am so looking forward to going to hockey games sitting next to people there to watch the game as opposed to families with the wife who couldn't be less interested, kids who only care about sparky and cotton candy and the poor father who wants to watch the game but misses half of it buying food and taking the kids to the bathroom every 5 minutes because they can't stop drinking soda.

It will be a refreshing experience.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it really was yours. You know how viral stuff is on the net.
Someone here post it? They mention I-mania, maybe someone from over there.

Idea is obviously pretty simple, just looked very familiar when I opened the page.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
What are the chances of this move happening in 2013? One one side, you have assorted billionaires who want to fill the new arena, and have the cash to work a buyout of the Coliseum lease. On the other side, you have a management company getting no revenue from a locked out NHL, holding with a lease that ends soon with no chance of renewal. And, you have a bankrupt county in the same situation, sitting with a lease that will not be renewed. Think both Nassau County and SMG would welcome a cash settlement right now?
How can they not consider it? According to Murray's comments that the Isles only constitute 1/7 of the dates at the NVMC and they're booked the other 320 days a year (coughHOGWASHcough), they should be happy to get rid of the team and focus on filling those extremely sought after dates that will become available...

If anything is done though, the Barclay's is going to need time to make some alterations for the Isles - they still have to build the new locker rooms from what I remember. We could all be sitting on Opening Night for the 2014-2015 season or possibly even next season. We'll just have to see.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
I have to admit I will also miss the arena debate but for the first time in a long time I am now interested in the actual team!

And it feels pretty good!
I'll miss the arena/location debates too. I won't miss the homerism, blind ignorance and wacky defensive stances of some but I did thoroughly enjoy the valid discussion between the locations and potential benefits of the arenas. Now it's settled and the good guys won.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:32 PM
NastyNinoSays

Too bad now they will be playing out of a glorified AHL arena. 14 thousand?

On top of that , a name change is in order. cmon, Its Brooklyn, i am thinking the "Brooklyn Hipsters"

Old
10-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Twine, I think Green Bay works b/c it's football and there's one game every 2 weeks with a grand total of 8 regular season games, all on weekends. That's a huge leap from a Tuesday night game in the burbs when there are 40 other games. Also, the Packers are not one of 3 football teams in that market.
Green Bay also works because fans are part owners of the team buying stock.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
dcv2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post

On top of that , a name change is in order. cmon, Its Brooklyn, i am thinking the "Brooklyn Hipsters"
Thanks for your input. Post here often? This glorified AHL arena is brand, spankin new too.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I agree completely. I can't wait for the new fan experience to be honest. It became way too family oriented. I am so looking forward to going to hockey games sitting next to people there to watch the game as opposed to families with the wife who couldn't be less interested, kids who only care about sparky and cotton candy and the poor father who wants to watch the game but misses half of it buying food and taking the kids to the bathroom every 5 minutes because they can't stop drinking soda.

It will be a refreshing experience.
This.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Mirasty91

Really excited for this move....it's comforting to know that the team won't be leaving New York after the lease is up. I'm upset to say goodbye to the Coliseum, but they weren't going to get a new arena there and it was time to move on. I'm pumped for this!

Also, does anybody have a bigger scan of the back cover of today's Post? Mine only has the banner at the top, I want the full back cover some people have.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
What are the chances of this move happening in 2013? One one side, you have assorted billionaires who want to fill the new arena, and have the cash to work a buyout of the Coliseum lease. On the other side, you have a management company getting no revenue from a locked out NHL, holding with a lease that ends soon with no chance of renewal. And, you have a bankrupt county in the same situation, sitting with a lease that will not be renewed. Think both Nassau County and SMG would welcome a cash settlement right now?
Here is the thing that might expedite the move.

Wang holds the development rights to the HUB until 2015.

If Nassau wants to get a developer in there prior to 2015 then they have to release Wang from the current lease.

Of course Nassau won't be ready to develop that land until 2100 so.......

Old
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
potvins4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
In honor of our news, TSN threw us a bone & gave us a top 10 Islanders moments
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip791605#clip791605
Only 2 of those top 10 moments were post 1980's. ridiculously sad.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:08 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:

This was neither original nor funny. I award you no points.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
That's a gimmick. Those "shares" have all the clout of a fan club membership. They have no voting rights whatsoever.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Just looked at the train schedule from Ronkonkoma to Atlantic Yards. Its 1 hour 23 min.

That's not a lot of time.

Do you know how far people from other parts of the country travel to see their favorite football, baseball, basketball or hockey team?

When I go to Citifield from Suffolk it's easily 1 hour 30 minutes.

Heck the NVMC was 1 hour!

It's 1 hour 23 minutes sitting on a train!

All this complaining about the travel time, the site lines....

Maybe Long Island lost the team because they never really deserved the team
You know what they say, You never know what you had till its gone. Nassau really screwed themselves here. They lost a professional franchise and all the tax dollars that come with it. How is Nassau going to make up all the money? They couldn't get a new arena going what makes people think the hub won't sit there empty for several years while Nassau has its finger up it butt? Even with a private developer the complaining and moaning will always be present.

Sad thing is, I can totally see another mall being placed in the hub.

10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Also the fact that NFL plays only 8 home games a year allows the suburban model to work.

Not so in MLB, NBA or NHL.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
This was neither original nor funny. I award you no points.

Wow, i guess it's lucky for me that i do not look to internet posters? for validation.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
Also the fact that NFL plays only 8 home games a year allows the suburban model to work.

Not so in MLB, NBA or NHL.
Kind of the same reason that Saskatchewan can lead the CFL in attendance but would probably not do so well in the NHL.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Wow, i guess it's lucky for me that i do not look to internet posters? for validation.

You should the internet is were all the cool kids are.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
This is by far the last thing I thought would happen. I thought we'd take this till the last minute of 2015.

You guys know what this means right? We can actually attract good players! We won't be the laughing stock of the league! Not to mention that I am SURE we will build a stronger fan base now that we are around a bigger area.
I'm excited as well, but as long as Wang owns this team I'm not counting on anything professional.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
not spending one dime on the team ever again.....but I'll watch. Let's see how 15k as a tenant with no additional revenues does for our lineup.

Gone now is the memories of Hempstead Tpke, the Nystrom goal, etc. and in is a new team.

I would love it if you wrote as much to Nassau politicians and held them accountable instead of being generally unpleasant no matter what news happens.

Your attitude comes across as someone who if they won the lottery would complain that they have to leave home to pick up the winnings...

Last edited by periferal: 10-25-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I would love it if you wrote as much to Nassau politicians and held them accountable instead of being generally unpleasantly no matter what news happens.

Your attitude comes across as someone who if they won the lottery would complaint that they have to leave home to pick up the winnings...
Totally a LI'er: someone else's success has to come on his terms. It's why LI is going down the toilet.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
10-25-2012, 02:14 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
The NHL was never going to allow the New York Islanders dynasty team to leave the area. FACT.

...and the county of Nassau was never building a new arena. FACT.

That left the Isles with one option...And you saw it carried out today. Wang sucks - No one knows that more than I, but I'd rather see a sucky owner with a brand new arena than a sucky owner in a sucky arena with crappier politicians. In a few years Wang won't have the "we have the worst arena in sports" excuse to hide behind, so if the Isles still are a lottery team then the heat will come down on him much more squarely.

When you add it all up there's no question today is a very positive one. The fact that you could come here after 20+ pages of glee and rain on most of our parades says much more about you than Wang, the Isles, Nassau, or anything else.

So now that you're on the verge of watching the Isles from afar, why don't you apply the same policy to these boards and give some of us happy fans a break.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:25 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

2) Again, I've said it before, show me via link, one FA that EVER said they didn't sign with the Isles cause of the building.

Show me any FA anywhere that publically announced why they DIDN'T sign with so and so team. They always say why they DID sign with the team they did and you could almost make a template for each press conference.

You have to be able to connect the dots on this and horrible arena no question is a factor why we havent landed a big time FA in a long time. Add in a wacky/bad owner and not knowing where the Isles would be playing past 2015 and there was never any hope of landing a player like Erhoff or better...

Old
10-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Riddick

I know this isn't really relevant but what happened to the whole willits point thing? imo that would have been ideal compromise but for about a year there was never any mention of it.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:05 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Show me any FA anywhere that publically announced why they DIDN'T sign with so and so team. They always say why they DID sign with the team they did and you could almost make a template for each press conference.

You have to be able to connect the dots on this and horrible arena no question is a factor why we havent landed a big time FA in a long time. Add in a wacky/bad owner and not knowing where the Isles would be playing past 2015 and there was never any hope of landing a player like Erhoff or better...
Who was the last significant unrestricted free agent to sign with us?

Not "guys who turned out to be steals" but guys who were top six forwards/top four defensemen/starting goalies when they signed with us.

MAYBE we resigned someone from the early 90s and I'm forgetting it, but can you name a UFA signing for Islanders in the last 20 years that was "big" ? I think our biggest might be Miroslav Satan.

Closed Thread