HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings player destinations during the Lockout

Old
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
TS Quint

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
What a stupid and blind puckmover. The guy comes in front (no blind-side) the puckmover sees the guy, and does nothing. Where's the survival instinct? The hitter does not jump, does not raise his arm/elbow and just flies over because of the laws of physics. The arm hits straigth to the head, because this puckmover dives against head first. How dumb can you be?

God I hate those stupid puckmovers. Keep your head up!
I'm with you, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND STOP LEADING WITH YOUR FACE! Too many players are skating with their heads down and are getting killed. He was right at the blue line where your are most likely to get hit like this and he was totally unaware. That hit happens in any league in any era. He's just lucky it wasn't Scott Stevens on D.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:34 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

I think those Jokerit jerseys are sweet.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Hey Swiss league watchers, during the last lockout I saw two really good Swiss players I thought could be NHLers.
Reto Berra and Dario Burglar (SP)

What do you think of them? Berra looked like a Luongo type in goal and Burglar seemed to have a sniper's game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Should not overvalue making points in the swiss leuage, specially against the bottom teams, seguin made a hatty against ambri piotta yesterday, a team with only 8 p in 15 Gp.

I really like what i see in Brunner, hes fast and gritty and the nhl could suit him fine.
I have always liked outsiders, Brunner played in swiss division 3 when he was 20 years old, then he showed next to nothing in 2,5 seasons in 1st division, before he came to zug in the middle of the season 08/09. He had 0 p in 12 Gp in kloten starting that season, he went down to division 2 a couple of games, he then came to zug and exploded there and has never looked back.

Maybe some swiss/wing fan know this guys story, its unusual and would be very intresting to hear about

Ps. Crazy stuff to mark the best scorer with a yellow helmet, the teams defenders must be happy about it!

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Btown67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Hey Swiss league watchers, during the last lockout I saw two really good Swiss players I thought could be NHLers.

What do you think of them? Berra looked like a Luongo type in goal and Burglar seemed to have a sniper's game.
It is very likely that berra will be our next gk in the nhl, but I am not sure about burgler. He is a good sniper with a nice shot, but shows his talent way too rarely. Maybe he just needs better linemates ;-)

Last edited by Btown67: 10-25-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Btown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
Brunner scored both goals in the 3-2 loss against Zurich.
Zetterberg scored in the shootout.
Video:
http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/4...eishockey/sda/
Can somebody set me up with a YouTube link of this video? The video link he linked me doesn't work on my phone.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:51 PM
EVZUG

Quote:

Berra is quite a good goalkeeper, even if his save percentage is not above average. But, he is a good swiss goal keeper for sure, that is why many teams in switzerland are interested in signing him, especially Zug (the team with brunner, zetterberg etc. but with very bad goal keepers and defense.)

Dario Bürgler: He was a junior of EV Zug, with not many points, but everyone was saying that he is very talented. Then, in 2007, he has been traded to HC Davos, where he was quite strong (as expected) in the first three seasons. However, he did not score as much as some experts have expected him to do. Next season, he was injured for a long time. And in the last year and this season, he has about 0.8 pts. per game. He is a very strong player and a good sniper. But his feeling for the game is (in my eyes) not very good and his passes are not above average. To sum up: I think that there are for sure some better swiss players compared to him. For sure, he is stronger in physics than Damien Brunner, but a lot weaker regarding everything else...

EVZUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 1050
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown67 View Post
It is very likely that berra will be our next gk in the nhl, but I am not sure about burgler. He is a good sniper with a nice shot, but shows his talent way to rarely. Maybe he just needs better linemates ;-)
Berra is a very interesting case. But I don't agree with Btown67 on this one.

To sum it up:
He's got the size.
He's got the talent.
He's got the reflexes.
He had the calm mind.
Had.

Last season, he played tremendously. He was the only reason his team made the playoffs and was rewarded with the "Goalie of the Year" award, something like the Swiss Vezina Trophy, even though his stats were way lower than others'. His calm nature and mental strength were unmatched (you could make an argument for Genoni, though).

Well, in this season... meh.
He seems nervous from time to time and his performances are like night and day. Sometimes he beats an opponent by himself, sometimes he beats his own team by himself.

I'd guess the chances, that Genoni or Stephan make the step to the NHL are bigger than those regarding Berra. And to be honest, I think the only one with a somewhat realistic chance is Stephan. Berra had one great season within a bunch of average ones and Genoni is most likely too small.

Bürgler? You remember him? I'm a little surprised, since he's not really one of the well known swiss players. As Btown67 said: He has some talent and he doesn't show it. But he's definitely not NHL material.
The only swiss forwards playing in Switzerland with NHL potential are Wick, Brunner and to a lesser extent Sprunger. But Sprunger is made of glass and Wick already tried it once with Ottawa, but he couldn't succeed. Respectively he probably could have, but he didn't want to stay in the AHL and returned to Switzerland.

Last edited by TheNeutrality: 10-24-2012 at 04:16 PM.
TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Kentti

Highlights from today's Jokerit game against local rival, Espoo Blues.

Pulkkinen's questionable goal @ 2:37. Blues player was obviously tripped by Pulkkinen but you take whatever goal you get. Bad zebras again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaejKxFEdGg

Kentti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Pascal85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
The swiss league should really do something about the company logo's, they're everywhere... and then what's up with silver helmets, yellow helmets when the jersey isn't even yellow?
Thats right... the Topscorer get "sponsored" by a Financial Institute called "Postfinance". Therefore every Teams Topscorer wars a yellow helmet and a yellow jersey (at the back there are flames saying "Postfinance Topscorer") Its just a marketing thing....

http://www.nationalleague.ch/NL/spon...r_overview.php

BTW... Brunner and Z palyed a good Game here in Zurich... but all over its just that Brunner, Z, Omark Line that can do ANYTHING in the Team of Zug... they showed some good action !
Badest Part of the Game was the Hit from Blaser...

http://www.blick.ch/sport/eishockey/...id2078363.html

Pascal85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:13 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Thanks for your thoughts on Burglar and Berra
I thought Berra had the chance to be a good NHLer. I wasn't as convinced with Burglar, but he was the best Swiss forward I saw.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:58 AM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Should not overvalue making points in the swiss leuage, specially against the bottom teams, seguin made a hatty against ambri piotta yesterday, a team with only 8 p in 15 Gp.

I really like what i see in Brunner, hes fast and gritty and the nhl could suit him fine.
I have always liked outsiders, Brunner played in swiss division 3 when he was 20 years old, then he showed next to nothing in 2,5 seasons in 1st division, before he came to zug in the middle of the season 08/09. He had 0 p in 12 Gp in kloten starting that season, he went down to division 2 a couple of games, he then came to zug and exploded there and has never looked back.

Maybe some swiss/wing fan know this guys story, its unusual and would be very intresting to hear about

Ps. Crazy stuff to mark the best scorer with a yellow helmet, the teams defenders must be happy about it!
Well, I've written some stuff about his history in here some time ago:
From the thread: Damien Brunner with a datsyukian-like shoot-out move

Quote:
QUOTE=duga;30825605]I don't agree.

I watch Kloten regularly. When he came into the league, he was put on first line with Rintanen and his skills were already through the roof (for a swiss), he had this incredible coast to coast goal (it was the 2nd or 3rd time i saw him play), outspeeding and -deking the opponent, followed by a wicked wrister top-shelf (you remember this insane Kovalchuck goal where he wen't coast to coast? very similar). I just dropped my jaw, except from P. Howald, I've never seen a swiss doing something similar.

He still played very wild, sometimes confusing that days, with bad physical and defensive play. so he got into Eldebrink's Doghouse, the 2nd season, was put on 4th line, lost his enthusiasm and fell off. I could've killed Eldebrink. (who's a very capable coach on general)

While he definitely profits of the speed of Schnyder and the heart and smarts of Holden. They profit as much vice versa. He's so good one-on-one, that the opponent often let him passing lanes open, and he's a nice playmaker and tends to make players around him better.

The thing I agree, is his lack of power and size and he pbly never develops into a physical force. But when looking at his combination of speed, very nice hands, his desire to have the puck on his blade and his smarts.... I can see him getting a defensive style similar to A. Semin's of late, very aggressive stick, a lot of take-a-ways, just one level beneath him But it's still a long way to go.

And 2010 was his first international Year. give him some time. he had some very good moments against weaker competition. and IMO, you could see, that he isn't too far off of having an impact against the top teams.

Plus, and that's a very important detail, while being not an active physical force, he is a very positive, competitive personality, and therefor doesn't get intimidated at ease, unlike Guggisberg or Wichser (the only other swiss wingers comparable skill wise) who got this "typical swiss" a passive, reserved temper and look scared on the ice, when challenged physically.

IMO, he's the only swiss forward, beside von Arx a few years ago, who should make the NHL when giving it a try. The other good ones, like Sprunger, Wick or Deruns could make it, but it would be a little surprise.

Yes, I do hype him a bit, but I really think he'll do it.

sorry for too much words

P.S: and to put me totally offside, just one other thing:
When it comes to untapped potential, I'm not sure Nino got more than him...

cheers
[/QUOTE]

In general I think for young swiss sportsmen it's a big advantage when they have to overtake obstacles while they are young: We got such a good living here in general, that you can have a pretty good live without pushing yourselves to the limits. (in sports as well as in economics) That oftenly hinders them to reach there potential.

e.g. Hiller never played in U-18 or U-20 national team, never was on any scouting lists, had to fight hard for his carreer but was lucky enough, that the best swiss coach ever (Arno Del Curto) trusted him and his uncovered talent, and gave him a chance directly in the NLA before Hiller had proven anything.

M.Gerber worked his way up from 4th tier swiss hockey league to the NHL, step-by-step, and only over a few years.

Even M.Streit was shopped by SC Bern, his junior team, cause they thought he isn't talented enough for the NLA...

and now they have been the "triumvirate" for swiss hockey for many years.

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
duga

Quote:
Who needs 7 million Semin, when you can have this guy? He is a carbon copy how Alex Semin snipes his goals.

13 games in Swiss league, 9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points.
1 European Trophy game, 1 goal, 2 assists.

Total 14 games, 10+17=27.

Damien Brunner, best pure scorer in Europe.
(and we have, Thornton, Giroux, Briere, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Malkin, Kovalchuck etc. in here...)
While I don't agree about the bolded part,

I couldn't resist quoting myself once again (from the same thread as the quote above)

Quote:
a video from last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzQretvaQYs

Hockey is so easy to follow for me. Since mid 80ies I'm a supporter of Swiss and Russian Hockey. And my 2 favourite players of this decade Semin for NHL-Level and Brunner NLA-Level just entertain me every time I watch them, and it's so nice to know, that they still develop. I mean Semin before his annual injury, was the best winger in the League, a light version of datsyukian dominance. Brunner without his disease would challenge Sykora and Bednar for best winger in the swiss League.

They play quite similar.

By the way, Teammate Nr.16 Diaz, jumping him at the start of the video, will be a strong competitor for a place in NHL in the future. he's better than Yannick Weber IMO.
And when the rumours popped out during summertime that Brunner as well as Semin could subscribe with the DRW, I felt like Birthday and Christmas falling on the same date....
unfortunately it came different.

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
lazerbullet

KHL top goals of the week. Marchenko #6, Pavel #1. Also among others Kuznetsov, Filatov and Ovechkin. And as great as Datsyuk is, but Varnakov (#2) was absolutely sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q5PdrYNL2ms

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
KHL top goals of the week. Marchenko #6, Pavel #1. Also among others Kuznetsov, Filatov and Ovechkin. And as great as Datsyuk is, but Varnakov (#2) was absolutely sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q5PdrYNL2ms
Yeah, that second goal is coolest i have seen in years

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
lazerbullet

Marchenko scores another one. http://www.championat.com/video/hockey/v/59/59051.html

Datsyuk made a great pass to Grabovsky. http://www.championat.com/video/hockey/v/59/59053.html

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:40 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Marchenko looks built like an NHLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post

Old
10-26-2012, 01:47 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Marchenko looks built like an NHLer
He does and really that is because he is. Impressive considering how much time he has lost to injury. That was a great gamble pick by the Wings, would love for his ice-time to go up, but he looks very good in the few times I have got to see him online when they actually use him. The kid can hit to, I think the Konstantinov angle gets blown up around here, but he reminds me a lot of Emelin, which I think is fantastic.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:39 AM
TS Quint

My problem with Marchenko is he doesn't play many minutes in a league/team devoid of quality Dmen. He needs to play to learn. Send him over to the Waleye.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:56 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
My problem with Marchenko is he doesn't play many minutes in a league/team devoid of quality Dmen. He needs to play to learn. Send him over to the Waleye.
Apparently, Marchenko is willing to come to North America. But who knows, that was back when we had elite pro hockey in North America.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Mickey Redmond

Datsyuk makes defenders look foolish in the KHL as well.

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Henkka

I have some formula for Swiss league statistics to calculate how Brunner fits against other NHLrs.

So this figure is as simple as (goals + assists/2) per game:

1. Henrik Zetterberg 2.00 (3gms, 5+2=7pts)
2. Patrice Bergeron 1.70 (5gms, 6+5=11pts)
3. Petr Sykora 1.30 (5gms, 5+3=8pts) (he has shooting percentage of 42, nice job from Joe Thornton...)
4. Damien Brunner 1.27 (13gms, 9+15=24pts)
5. Rick Nash 1.06 (9gms, 7+5=12pts)
6. Tyler Seguin 0.95 (10gms, 6+7=13pts)
7. Linus Omark 0.93 (15gms, 6+16=22pts) (it was really interesting to notice that Omark was 0+0 and -3 until Brunner arrived...)
8. Brooks Laich 0.85 (10gms, 5+7=12pts)
9. John Tavares 0.81 (8gms, 4+5=9pts)
10. Jason Spezza 0.77 (11gms, 5+7=12pts)
--. Logan Couture 0.77 (11gms, 4+9=13pts)

Non-NHLrs scrapped from this ranking:

Julien Sprunger 1.17 (3gms, 3+1=4pts) (hot start, then injured)
Jacob Micflikier 0.85 (13gms, 8+6=14pts) (it's kind of Seguin makes him)
Glen Metropolit 0.81 (16gms, 4+18=22pts)

Shots/game:

1. Henrik Zetterberg 6.3
2. Damien Brunner 5.3
3. Rick Nash 4.9
4. Patrice Bergeron 4.6
5. Tyler Seguin 4.1
6. Robbie Earl 3.6
7. Jason Spezza 3.5
8. Logan Couture 3.4
9. Jason Williams 3.2
10. John Tavares 3.1

Noboby scrapped from this list.

Babcock must love Brunner's mentality. It's a freaking goal-scoring game. Shoot the god damn puck. You don't have to teach him to shoot more, like Pav or Filppula.

Last edited by Henkka: 10-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Jakub Kindl: He has one point (an assist), along with a minus-6 rating in eight games for Pardubice in Tipsport extraliga in the Czech Republic.

I guess some things never change...

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Forsse90

Quote:
I have some formula for Swiss league statistics to calculate how Brunner fits against other NHLrs.

So this figure is as simple as (goals + assists/2) per game:

1. Henrik Zetterberg 2.00 (3gms, 5+2=7pts)
2. Patrice Bergeron 1.70 (5gms, 6+5=11pts)
3. Petr Sykora 1.30 (5gms, 5+3=8pts) (he has shooting percentage of 42, nice job from Joe Thornton...)
4. Damien Brunner 1.27 (13gms, 9+15=24pts)
5. Rick Nash 1.06 (9gms, 7+5=12pts)
6. Tyler Seguin 0.95 (10gms, 6+7=13pts)
7. Linus Omark 0.93 (15gms, 6+16=22pts) (it was really interesting to notice that Omark was 0+0 and -3 until Brunner arrived...)
8. Brooks Laich 0.85 (10gms, 5+7=12pts)
9. John Tavares 0.81 (8gms, 4+5=9pts)
10. Jason Spezza 0.77 (11gms, 5+7=12pts)
--. Logan Couture 0.77 (11gms, 4+9=13pts)

Non-NHLrs scrapped from this ranking:

Julien Sprunger 1.17 (3gms, 3+1=4pts) (hot start, then injured)
Jacob Micflikier 0.85 (13gms, 8+6=14pts) (it's kind of Seguin makes him)
Glen Metropolit 0.81 (16gms, 4+18=22pts)

Shots/game:

1. Henrik Zetterberg 6.3
2. Damien Brunner 5.3
3. Rick Nash 4.9
4. Patrice Bergeron 4.6
5. Tyler Seguin 4.1
6. Robbie Earl 3.6
7. Jason Spezza 3.5
8. Logan Couture 3.4
9. Jason Williams 3.2
10. John Tavares 3.1

Noboby scrapped from this list.

Babcock must love Brunner's mentality. It's a freaking goal-scoring game. Shoot the god damn puck. You don't have to teach him to shoot more, like Pav or Filppula.

It should be noted that EV Zug only managed to score 2 goals in those 2 games before Brunner arrived. Omark was, however, 1+4 in 3 European Trophy games without Brunner.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into whether Brunner produces better than the NHL players since most of them are North Americans who aren't used to the big rink and whose style of play fits better with the small rink. And we don't know how well Brunner will adjust to the size difference once the lockout's over.

Forsse90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Kentti

Just got back home from the Arena. Jokerit won today our 45th Anniversary game. Val's stats today.

OCT 26, 2012: ILVES @ JOKERIT 0 - 2
G 1, A 0, P 1, +/- +1, PIM 0, S 1, TOI 22:39

Filppula's stats after 13 games: G 6, A 7, P 13, +/- +8, PIM 6, S 34, average TOI 24:33

His brother was 1+0=1 today.

Highlights later.

Kentti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Tomas W

Jonathan Ericsson is going to play for at least four games with Södertälje SK (SSK), which will take him to the swedish 2nd tier Allsvenskan, which is a considerable upgrade in level from tier 3 were he have played earlier, which is divided in several regions.

I hope he is ready to play already tomorrow, as I will go see the SSK-DIF game live (DIF is Landeskogs and Murrays team).

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote