HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012 NFL Season - Yes, they actually play games in this league!

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Chill dude. Why are you getting so worked up over this? I just pointed out his team's record and his TD totals have plummeted the same year that he's on the Madden cover.

I'm not worked up lol

I am just saying, he is producing the 2nd highest yards per game. its not like he has 200 yards. just because he doesn't have a lot of TDs doesn't mean its entirely his fault

Old
10-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

I am so sick of hearing about RGIII. He lost the game. He can't play in a conventional offense...enough.

Old
10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
I am so sick of hearing about RGIII. He lost the game. He can't play in a conventional offense...enough.
He still had an impressive showing for a rookie against one of the NFL's best defences. He's going to be tough to handle in the future.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:

uh, what? lol

Old
10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He still had an impressive showing for a rookie against one of the NFL's best defences. He's going to be tough to handle in the future.
Tim Tebow Cam Newton and Mike Vick also had impressive showings before teams got film on em too. stop shoving him down our throats. He'd be one hell of a RB QB is no place for RGIII

Old
10-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Tim Tebow Cam Newton and Mike Vick also had impressive showings before teams got film on em too. stop shoving him down our throats. He'd be one hell of a RB QB is no place for RGIII
Did we watch different games this past Sunday? The guy makes a lot of great throws. He made one pretty bad one which got picked off. But the guy is playing pretty damn well. And even better than that as far as rookie QBs usually go.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Did we watch different games this past Sunday? The guy makes a lot of great throws. He made one pretty bad one which got picked off. But the guy is playing pretty damn well. And even better than that as far as rookie QBs usually go.
He played solidly but if the D took the run away like they usually do forcing "God" into long passing situations and not this NCAA Offense we'd hear alot less than we are.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
He can still make the throws, unlike some of the running QBs of the past. I think RGIII is different, and we underestimate him at our peril.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:47 PM
apice3*

I personally believe that once teams get a good look at Griffin, he's going to tail off. He's a good QB, but he's playing above his current ability, IMO. Just like Newton, Vick, Tebow, and all the other running QBs, coaches will find tendencies, and turn these two dimensional players into pocket passers and their games will suffer.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

He might be playing above his ability a bit, but I still see a guy who can make the throws. He scrambles well, and he put together an impressive late fourth quarter drive against one of the best pass rushes in the league, mostly with his throws. Only the fact that Eli is even better at late game heroics caused him to lose.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

the difference is, RGIII is faster than those guys, smarter than those guys, and more accurate than those guys

it remains to be seen if he can keep it up or stay healthy, but still

Old
10-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

anyone in the league here want to deal?

I have great depth basically everywhere. I am looking to acquire a star RB or WR by packaging some of my depth.

RB- TRich, CJ, Ridley, Jennings, J. Stewart, P. Tanner
WR- Nicks, Lloyd, Wayne, T. Young, K. Wright, Amendola

Old
10-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Three of those players struggle to complete 60% of their passes. The fourth has the highest completion rate of all QB's this season.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
Three of those players struggle to complete 60% of their passes. The fourth has the highest completion rate of all QB's this season.
When you have 8 in the box all the time and open WRs you better complete a **** load of passes

Old
10-24-2012, 10:38 PM
apice3*

The completion percentage thing is overrated. I've seen a lot of RG3 this year, and it seems like half of his passes are those quick throws to WRs at the line of scrimmage. Didn't he start the season with 12 passes at the line of scrimmage in a row?

Can't doubt his talent, but once teams figure out how to take away his ability to run as much as he does right now, his numbers are going to drop. He's probably going to be the rookie of the year, but I can totally see a sophomore slump.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:54 PM
CerebralGenesis

Sounds like a prime candidate to pick up after the slump. I'm thinking of taking the risk next year with Newton.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:03 PM
apice3*

RG3 has the speed that McNabb never had and the accuracy that Vick never had.

That being said, he's playing too much like Vick and not enough like McNabb. McNabb was a pass first QB who would use his legs to get first downs and get out of bounds pretty much the second he crossed the yellow line. A QB shouldn't have to fight for the extra yards. That's too much of a risk on the franchise player. He's alright got a concussion. He can use his legs but he's doing it in a reckless fashion right now.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:55 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
When you have 8 in the box all the time and open WRs you better complete a **** load of passes
RG3 also has 'no' NFL WR's other than 900-year old Santana Moss and one HALF of Pierre Garcon before he went to injury never-neverland.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Richer's Ghost
DING! DING!

vCash: 425
Quote:
RG3 has the speed that McNabb never had and the accuracy that Vick never had.

That being said, he's playing too much like Vick and not enough like McNabb. McNabb was a pass first QB who would use his legs to get first downs and get out of bounds pretty much the second he crossed the yellow line. A QB shouldn't have to fight for the extra yards. That's too much of a risk on the franchise player. He's alright got a concussion. He can use his legs but he's doing it in a reckless fashion right now.
Truth.

From what I've seen he's playing too much like Vick and it leads to bad things when you always use your legs to get the job done. Legs fade much faster than a good arm. He needs to find balance to have long term success and not get hurt trying to salvage every play with positive yards.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
10-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I think he learned that lesson a couple weeks ago when he got a concussion trying to get the extra yards. He's gotten better about stepping out of bounds or sliding at the sign of trouble.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
RG3 also has 'no' NFL WR's other than 900-year old Santana Moss and one HALF of Pierre Garcon before he went to injury never-neverland.
Pierre Garcon and Santana Moss are actually the perfect receivers for what they're asking RG3 to do right now. Quick bubble screens and deep balls. Both guys are burners who can get behind defenses and also have the ability to catch quick passes and make guys miss.

I haven't seen RG3 make many seam or anticipatory throws which is what separates average QB's from great QB's. He's being asked to complete the easy stuff. Get his confidence going. Defenses are willing to give him the short easy stuff because chances are it's not going to kill them in a 60 minute game. Has anyone noticed that in the last second drives, he uses his legs more often? It's because defenses finally take away the easy stuff because it's RG3's safety net, and in doing so he's forced to run. Vick was the same way early in his career.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
davebenj

Personally, I hope RG3 will continue his success. He's easy to root for and people say he's a great guy.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
The completion percentage thing is overrated. I've seen a lot of RG3 this year, and it seems like half of his passes are those quick throws to WRs at the line of scrimmage. Didn't he start the season with 12 passes at the line of scrimmage in a row?

Can't doubt his talent, but once teams figure out how to take away his ability to run as much as he does right now, his numbers are going to drop. He's probably going to be the rookie of the year, but I can totally see a sophomore slump.
This is true. RG3 is last in the NFL in % of pass attempts to go deep.http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB

However, RG3 is first in the NFL in yards per attempt, probably the most important QB statistic. So in the end he's getting the job done through the air.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

I haven't seen RG3 make many seam or anticipatory throws which is what separates average QB's from great QB's. He's being asked to complete the easy stuff. Get his confidence going. Defenses are willing to give him the short easy stuff because chances are it's not going to kill them in a 60 minute game. Has anyone noticed that in the last second drives, he uses his legs more often? It's because defenses finally take away the easy stuff because it's RG3's safety net, and in doing so he's forced to run. Vick was the same way early in his career.
That's well thought out and everything, but if RG3 continues to lead the league in YPA, how can anyone really criticize his passing game?

Old
10-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Personally, I hope RG3 will continue his success. He's easy to root for and people say he's a great guy.
He's definitely easy to like. Even though I am a fan of a division rival he has won my respect quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
That's well thought out and everything, but if RG3 continues to lead the league in YPA, how can anyone really criticize his passing game?
Because apparently he runs too much to be taken seriously. I've actually heard that as an argument. No, I don't understand how that's a criticism either.

Closed Thread