HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL: Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 -all discussion IN HERE *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Show me any FA anywhere that publically announced why they DIDN'T sign with so and so team. They always say why they DID sign with the team they did and you could almost make a template for each press conference.

You have to be able to connect the dots on this and horrible arena no question is a factor why we havent landed a big time FA in a long time. Add in a wacky/bad owner and not knowing where the Isles would be playing past 2015 and there was never any hope of landing a player like Erhoff or better...
Exactly, you are never going to get FAs to say anything publicly. However, having said that, you still have rumors of guys like Paul Martin complaining about the seats.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I know this isn't really relevant but what happened to the whole willits point thing? imo that would have been ideal compromise but for about a year there was never any mention of it.

Long-story short: everyone wanted someone else to pay for an arena to be built so they could be cut in on some of the benefits.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
dcv2002

I live out in east bumblef**k Suffolk. Lets say off of Exit 70. I go to a couple of games a year if that. So I'll still go to a couple of games, but I'll take the train.

Most likely will drive to a hub LIRR station, park there and take train. Maybe Mineola. Looked online. Mineola to Atlantic Yards in as little as 34 minutes....

Old
10-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I know this isn't really relevant but what happened to the whole willits point thing? imo that would have been ideal compromise but for about a year there was never any mention of it.
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...elopment-plans

JACKSON HEIGHTS — Hundreds of Queens residents were up in arms Monday night over the planned mega-development of Willets Point and Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, slamming the developers at a town hall meeting for a land grab.

Members of several community groups blasted the plans for the gritty industrial neighborhood and sprawling greenspace, which include a new mall, an expansion of the U.S. Tennis Center and a brand new Major League Soccer stadium...

The Willets West plan, submitted by the owners of the New York Mets, would call for the construction of a 1.4 million square-foot shopping mall on the western parking lot of Citi Field, where Shea Stadium used to stand. Although the land is currently used by the Mets, it is still owned by the city and is legally considered parkland.

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2012-10...tial_Revi.html

“The [Willets Point] project changed and requires further analysis,” Director of the Mayor’s Office of Environmental Coordination Robert Kulikowski said at the September 27 scoping meeting held at P.S. 19, the Marino Jeantet School, in Corona.

“There will be more digging than before,” added David Schwartz, Senior Vice President for the New York Economic Development Corporation (NYEDC), at the hearing.

An initial plan proposed by NYEDC for Willets Point and approved by the City Council in 2008 was scrapped in favor of a new plan announced by Mayor Michael Bloomberg in June in conjunction with the Queens Development Group, a joint venture of Sterling Equities and Related Companies, increasing the size of the project. Originally pegged at 62 acres, the plan is expanding by another 46 acres and proposes Willets West be built on a parking lot owned by the New York Mets that is technically parkland on the western end of Citi Field.

Ethan Goodman, a lawyer for Wachtel, Masyr and Missry and project manager for the developers, Sterling Equities, a group of companies owned by the Wilpon family that includes the Mets and Related Companies, another real estate firm, said one million square feet of retail and entertainment space would be developed at Willets West, while 23 acres of contaminated land would be cleaned up to the east in the original Willets Point special district for 2,500 units of affordable housing. That work would be completed by 2018.

In a second and third phase, access ramps to the Van Wyck Expressway, more housing, a hotel, a convention center, recreational space and a school would be developed in two stages by 2028 and 2032. No developer has been selected as yet for Phases two and three.

I think the Isles were forced out of the Citi Field area after the WP project was divided. Allegedly they were looking at Flushing airport vicinity as well.

http://www.*************.com/index.p...post&p=1254739

All I know is that they discussed having an arena either in the Citi Field lot, or Flushing Meadow Park, over by the tennis complex. They also discussed, and this is the first I have heard of this, the old Flushing airport grounds in Whitestone, which are currently abandoned, and are the very first exit off the Whitestone Bridge.
For those of you that take the Cross Island to Met's games, its the vast empty space behind the New York Times building about 2 minutes from Citi Field. Probably nothing will happen there though because of lack of mass transit.

Ultimately the math didn't work out for NYC (paying 400 to 500 M) to land the Isles in Queens on top of billions that LIRR may have had to fork over.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:14 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
Also the fact that NFL plays only 8 home games a year allows the suburban model to work.

Not so in MLB, NBA or NHL.
The suburban model works in the NFL because like 90% of the revenue is national broadcast $$.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Noisespektrum

Actually happy to see a bit of closure with this teams future. A lowlight for me was a few yrs ago when there was talk about the team relocating to Queens and a Queens representative called out Hockey as a white person sport and wanted nothing to do with Hockey in his borough.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Riddick

Ah thanks for the clarification.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
How do you know the sight lines are an issue? I was there monday for a concert, sat in the nosebleeds and felt like I was on top of the floor with a great view I haven't experienced in any arena. The arena is intimate and built straight up and narrow.

Capacity will be increased by 500-1K seats by 2015 per Wang/Bettman. That leaves the arena just about 700 seats short of what the Coliseum holds now. Look at Winnipeg. With a 25 year lease, expanding the building might not be out of the question down the road.

The thing about Barclays that people need to realize, is that while the hockey capacity is low the arena is still a money maker via additional revenue. Barclays Center has 104 suites, which is more than nearly any building in the league, outside of the real marquee teams, over 3,000 club seats, and a slew of clubs, restaurants, bars, stores ETC.

So while capacity wise, Barclays center lines up with the smallest arenas in the league, in terms of big money amenities that really drive a franchise, it ranks on the same level as arenas like the ACC, Wells Fargo, TD Garden and post-renovation MSG. So where it really matters in terms of franchise viability, Barclays is absolutely a "big-time" money making arena.

Kudos to 102.
I have heard from several sources that the sight lines for hockey are bad and they are really bad throughout the upper deck. Just saying that they will need to renovate for this to work

Old
10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I have heard from several sources that the sight lines for hockey are bad and they are really bad throughout the upper deck. Just saying that they will need to renovate for this to work
Which is fine, we are not playing there for another 3 years...plenty of time to renovate.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:13 PM
bluechipbonzo

http://autopod.ca/chum/22/podcasts/

Pierre on the move, how the young Isles are underrated, Capuano on the hot seat, etc.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Which is fine, we are not playing there for another 3 years...plenty of time to renovate.
They can't renovate the sitelines. No chance in Hades. All they can do is shut down 1/3 of the building and expand the open part of the horseshoe, but that would have to be done mostly in the summer when there are no events due to the inherent danger of structural alterations crippling the existing/remaining building.

Can you imagine a weak point in the corner section collapsing and taking three to five sections down, killing hundreds of people?

Old
10-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Green Bay also works because fans are part owners of the team buying stock.

NFL works in most places because the league makes money hand-over-fist in national TV rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
The suburban model works in the NFL because like 90% of the revenue is national broadcast $$.
Damn, he beat me to it.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Gallof's latest article.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...slanders-away/
• How many more seats can Barclays Center hold? (per Bettman Wednesday, might be as many as 15,500)

• How big will the Islanders’ potential piece of Barclay’s MASSIVE luxury suites be?

• What will be their take of parking, concessions and merchandise?

• And, remember, those 14,500 (or now 15,500) seats will be priced 25 percent higher than the seats at the Coliseum, which would be equivalent to 17,300 Coliseum seats.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Isles Junkie

All the 1 on 1 media scrums are up on ITV

http://video.islanders.nhl.com/videocenter/console

Wang, Snow, Capuano, Weight & Mr. Useless Gary Bettman

Old
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards