HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 AUS Regular Season Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 08:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
UNB over SMU 4-0. The V-Reds didn't look very good for the first two periods, despite leading 1-0 (shots were 18-11 for SMU), but really turned it on in the 3rd, out shooting SMU 19-5 and scoring 3 goals. LaCosta with the shutout and Pridham with two goals against his former team. Wright and McNeil with the other goals. MacDougall also returned to the line-up. Culligan was out with the flu.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 08:48 PM
RED ARMY EAST

STU vs Acadia

Pounded 7-1, outshot 37-13. Not pretty in front of 1,300. Acadia looks better than last year. I'm afraid the Tommie's are in for another long year. This was there home opener in the new Grant Harvey Center.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 09:23 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

More on the roster cap in today's Chronicle Herald...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...-professionals

Old
10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
More on the roster cap in today's Chronicle Herald...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...-professionals
Acadia may be the best team in the AUS this year at minimum they are top 3 for sure.

The Cap is ridiculous not because they are putting one in place but because is 21 skaters. 4 Major injuries in a season and your team is gonna get Humbled in this League. With no cap in the powerful Canada West and the improving OUA, you may see the AUS Team be the weak link in future years at the University Cup

24 or 25 would have been a much more acceptable number. Amazing and how ironic a Mount Allison University Official is the head of the Decision. Is Jack Drover on the board too? is this the gateway for the return of university Hockey at Mount A?

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 300
In most international tournaments I believe you get 20 skaters plus 3 goaltenders. And that's to give you enough players for 2 weeks.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 01:34 PM
timbitca

The cap was passed before Pierre Arsenault was on board as chairman of men's hockey.

And we used exactly 21 skaters last year (2 of 'em played 2 games each). I don't think we fared all that bad, and we did have our fair share of major injuries too...

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:13 PM
RED ARMY EAST

U de M

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
The cap was passed before Pierre Arsenault was on board as chairman of men's hockey.

And we used exactly 21 skaters last year (2 of 'em played 2 games each). I don't think we fared all that bad, and we did have our fair share of major injuries too...
So, Serge supported it?

Old
10-20-2012, 03:09 PM
timbitca

I wouldn't know for sure, but he probably did. To have it pass it had to have at least 5 of the 8 teams support it... so at least 5 coaches think it's a good idea...

But I do know that they talked about that in their year end meetings and Pierre only came on board late this summer.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Does any sport in any conference have something similar to this? It seems like if you are good enough to play, and have the marks, you should be allowed to play.

I still think they should have something in place for major injuries...something like you can have an extra player (or players) but as soon as they play a game that makes another guy ineligible to play for the rest of the season. Otherwise you are going to see a lot of guys come back less than 100%.

Old
10-20-2012, 04:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Acadia may be the best team in the AUS this year at minimum they are top 3 for sure.
Which isn't surprising...they were good anyways, didn't lose much, and added some top-end players.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Rob

UNB 4 STFX 2 - UNB played and excellent first period and stormed out to a 3-1 lead. Denny with another great game.

Acadia 3 UdeM 2 (so) - Watched this one from overtime onwards. Lemay with a huge save in OT. Thompson and Beaton with beuties in the shootout for the Axemen to win it.

SMU 4 UPEI 0 - Peters with the shutout. Huskies outshot them 38-18. Panthers will be hard pressed to score goals this season.

Dal 5 STU 2 - Huge win for the Tigers as they will be fighting for that last playing spot with the Panthers most likely. Tommies are pretty much done four games in.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 08:56 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB played pretty good tonight, definitely an encouraging weekend (especially without Culligan for either game) although the number of penalties still concerns me. They took 6 straight in the second period and fortunately only gave up one goal. The lack of shots is also a bit worrisome...only 22 tonight....3rd game in a row they have been under 30 which almost never happens. The power play has looked much better in the early going, however. LaCosta was very good in both games...I think he played like the guy we were all expecting to see after joining the team. Goalie controversy brewing??

Also watched the overtime and shootout of the Acadia/Moncton game, great back and forth action with both goalies making some big saves. Is it safe to say that Lemay is the guy in net for Moncton now? I know it has only been 4 games but he has looked solid in his two starts against UNB/Acadia, while Guay has been pulled from both of his.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-20-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old
10-21-2012, 01:10 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Does any sport in any conference have something similar to this? It seems like if you are good enough to play, and have the marks, you should be allowed to play.

I still think they should have something in place for major injuries...something like you can have an extra player (or players) but as soon as they play a game that makes another guy ineligible to play for the rest of the season. Otherwise you are going to see a lot of guys come back less than 100%.
What little I do know is that the way I've seen the rule written up to now is very basic and there surely will be more discussion on it before it's written into law for next season. I'm thinking a system where teams can only have 21 skaters on the roster but rosters can be revised during the season? Maybe at Christmas or maybe at the 7-14-21 games mark? With the 21 gp roster being official for the playoffs or something, or maybe allowing another revision at the end of the regular season.

I know the way it's written now there's bound to be some exploitable loopholes and someone will find a way around it.

Quote:
UNB played pretty good tonight, definitely an encouraging weekend (especially without Culligan for either game) although the number of penalties still concerns me. They took 6 straight in the second period and fortunately only gave up one goal. The lack of shots is also a bit worrisome...only 22 tonight....3rd game in a row they have been under 30 which almost never happens. The power play has looked much better in the early going, however. LaCosta was very good in both games...I think he played like the guy we were all expecting to see after joining the team. Goalie controversy brewing??

Also watched the overtime and shootout of the Acadia/Moncton game, great back and forth action with both goalies making some big saves. Is it safe to say that Lemay is the guy in net for Moncton now? I know it has only been 4 games but he has looked solid in his two starts against UNB/Acadia, while Guay has been pulled from both of his.
I think we're just going to ride the hot hand for now, and right now that's Lemay. He's been brilliant thus far. It'll be even better when we figure out we're allowed to play in the first forty minutes of games.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I guess that's what happens when other coaches get pissed off at what they consider "stockpiling" players at UNB.

My personal observation is that this will come back to bite some teams when they lose guys to injury during the season.
I definitely think it was a rule to limit UNB. I think last year's 29 player roster was the straw that broke the camel's back...had they stayed with 25-26 nothing would have changed.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Rosters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I definitely think it was a rule to limit UNB. I think last year's 29 player roster was the straw that broke the camel's back...had they stayed with 25-26 nothing would have changed.
Not alone, check out the Manitoba's and Alberta from CanadaWest last year, not much difference.
It could have a negative effect for all teams in the AUS come time for playoffs and Nationals.
I remember the year that UNB had many injuries (2006?) come playoff time. They were short staffed and had to dress forwards for D against Acadia due to injuries. They lost that series to Acadia, who would later go on to the U cup in Edmonton.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Rosters

Here is the list of Top 10 teams prior to last years playoffs and their CIS Listed Rosters (skaters only since the rule primarily applies to skaters) as well skaters with less than 10 games

Week 14: February 14, 2012

1. UNB - 25 (3) = 22
2. McGill - 24 (3) = 21
3. Western - 25 (6) = 19
4. Manitoba - 22 (1) = 21
5. Alberta - 24 (3) = 21
6. Saint Mary’s - 22 (0) = 22
7. Saskatchewan - 25 (5) = 20
8. Moncton - 20 (2) = 18
9. UPEI - 21 (1) = 20
10. UQTR - 24 (4) = 20

Average - 23 (3) = 20

Going back 2010-11

Week 14: February 15, 2011

1. UNB - 25 (4) = 21
2. McGill - 23 (2) = 21
3. Alberta - 23 (3) = 20
4. Saint Mary’s - 21 (1) = 20
5. Saskatchewan - 26 (3) = 23
6. Western Ontario - 23 (2) = 21
7. StFX - 22 (3) = 19
8. Calgary - 25 (3) = 22
9. UQTR - 23 (2) = 21
10. Carleton - 22 (3) = 19

Average - 23 (2) = 21

Given these results I would lobby for a limit of 23 which is close to what most are doing.

In the case of UNB last year (had the cap been imposed) LEE would not have played (5th year depth guy who has to make space for a new guy), SALITURO and DENNY red shirt. I guess supports of the this idea believe Stefan and Denny go to another program and WEIBE never comes.

Interesting to see this year UNB's roster is 21, but working at a strength of 20 as LYNES is still day-2-day (had the cap started this year - LYNES wouldn't play because you can't risk a card-spot on a guy who may never play again).

You can't afford to have more than 2 injuries at the same time or things get dicey. Case-in-point; the first weekend of play they didn't have MacD, WRIGHT and SWAN (for one game). The next weekend they didn't have CULLIGAN and DESNOYERS (for one game).

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
I remember the year that UNB had many injuries (2006?) come playoff time. They were short staffed and had to dress forwards for D against Acadia due to injuries. They lost that series to Acadia, who would later go on to the U cup in Edmonton.
They played Acadia in the 2006 AUS Finals and lost in three straight.

They had lost Stacy Smallman in January and in the playoffs they lost JM Boiovert after 5 games which hurt their offense (15% of the regular season goals) - he had 4G+4A in 5 games before being injured (4G on 12 shots for a Pct. of .333). They also lost Mahon, Johnston, Pearce, Doherty and Johansson each for one game during their 8 game playoff season and Reg had a GAA of 3.13. All of that combined is going to make it hard to win a title. Acadia on the other hand had a 5 game series, having gotten a first round bye, and only lost 1 of the their top 14 guys during the playoffs and he was at spot 11 with almost everyone else playing every game.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:37 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Here are roster numbers for every team for the last 4 years (including goalies)...although the data isn't complete for all teams this season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/teamse...p?LeagueID=127

I don't hear anyone complaining about Carleton having 28 and 30 players the last two years, or Laurier having 30 and 31, or Concordia having 30, 32, 34, 32 the last 4 years, or Nipissing having 28, 30, 33 the last three. Or even Dalhousie, who has used exactly one fewer skater than UNB the last 3 years (28, 27, 26 vs. 29, 27, 26).

Even if you assume every team carried 3 goalies there were 28 (out of 35) teams that used more than 21 skaters last season (or more than 24 total players).

I think a limit of even 22 skaters would be reasonable....giving each team 4 scratches.

Plain and simply, if UNB wasn't as good as they have been no one would care how many guys they use and this wouldn't even be an issue.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
AUS Fan

Carleton and Laurier did not have a WHL 40 goal scorer sitting in the canteen area in UdeM charting faceoffs. He was not injured; just part of the glut of top tier players at UNB. Somone mentioned that this rule is about UNB and I agree with that. Over the past couple of seasons UNB has had top players sitting out games because they are too deep in talent. I think the mindset of some coaches is that UNB will recruit a player just so you can't get him. it's no secret that Gardiner is not well respected by more than one AUS coach......

While you can't argue with success, you can question the methods.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:26 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Carleton and Laurier did not have a WHL 40 goal scorer sitting in the canteen area in UdeM charting faceoffs. He was not injured; just part of the glut of top tier players at UNB. Somone mentioned that this rule is about UNB and I agree with that. Over the past couple of seasons UNB has had top players sitting out games because they are too deep in talent. I think the mindset of some coaches is that UNB will recruit a player just so you can't get him. it's no secret that Gardiner is not well respected by more than one AUS coach......

While you can't argue with success, you can question the methods.
Hmm, said former 40 goal scorer is not getting a ton of ice time this season either. And he has fewer players ahead of him on the UNB depth chart. Just maybe his game isn't well suited to the AUS?

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
AUS Fan

Or not suited to UNB......

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:29 PM
FreddtFoyle

Good point, maybe.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
WilcoxHound

If his game isn't suited to UNB style hockey then I hope it was his choice to go to that school and that he wasn't enticed by Gardiner's recruiting sweet talk. UNB must have scouted him (you would think) and knew what they were getting. Shouldn't make assumptions here but if this is the case it certainly smells like stockpiling a player to keep him away from other teams.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB had recruited, or had been closely tied to, Wudrick all summer IIRC. He decided to try his hand at Europe and then UNB went about business with the assumption that he wouldn't be back...then he decided to come in at Christmas. Same with Wiebe, they had been recruiting him, but he also got a pro offer and decided to pursue it.

I think the same thing kind of happened with Wright too. He left for the ECHL, Kidd reached out to UNB to see if they had a spot (which they did), and then Wright chose to return at Christmas. So they ended up with both.

You can't rely on these guys coming back half way through the year so you have to fill out your team with the assumption they aren't going to be there. I would say it was more a lucky break for UNB (in these three cases), in that they all decided to go to the CIS after giving pro a try, then just stockpiling players for the sake of it. If a top junior player wants to join your team are you really going to say no? If none of those guys had went pro they all would have been with UNB right from the start in all liklihood.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:52 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

Did it ever come to your mind AUS and Williehound, that these players want to come to UNB for the program, winning attitude, attendance, more exposure to scouts due to challenging exhibition schedules (NCAA/AHL)?
I have talked to many players, such as Wright, who recommended the program to Braes. Same reason why Culligan and McNeil chose the program instead of SMU and X through Clendenning and the winning attitude. They want to come to the program! That's why they are not at X or SMU!