HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Luke Adam: When do we start to worry?

Old
10-25-2012, 01:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
IMO he should have been moved in the summer while his value was still higher around the league. Would have done Roy + Adam for Ott + something better than Pardy.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Recognizing that Luke Adam or any other player doesn't awake each morning trying to emulate Alexandre Daigle, how does he win AHL ROY and then fall off so dramatically? Can that performance level be recovered?

Thoughts on the Usual Possible Factors:
-Game doesn't translate to NHL
-Coaching (loss of Dineen)
-Motivation
-Linemates
-Injury
-Off-ice issues
-Combinations

Thoughts? Specifically - why "so good" then but not now?

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
I started worrying last year after he got sent down and started giving 70% efforts. It was obvious his confidence was shot. Sometimes that's all it takes to send a player off the route to success in this business.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:52 PM

I dont see why people are saying he doesnt care or isnt giving 100 percent, to me it looks like he just has no confidence.

All he needs in a couple games where the puck goes in and he will find his game again

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Recognizing that Luke Adam or any other player doesn't awake each morning trying to emulate Alexandre Daigle, how does he win AHL ROY and then fall off so dramatically? Can that performance level be recovered?

Thoughts on the Usual Possible Factors:
-Game doesn't translate to NHL
-Coaching (loss of Dineen)
-Motivation
-Linemates
-Injury
-Off-ice issues
-Combinations

Thoughts? Specifically - why "so good" then but not now?
Option "B" has to be a consideration. Dineen is very good at bringing things out of players. Rolston? Reserving judgement right now.

10-25-2012, 04:17 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
LOLWUT?

If you can't play wing, you can't play center.

Thats not true. Some players feel more comfortable playing certain positions. Wing is a lot of play off the puck while reading and reacting to others. Center is a lot of play on the puck, driving the play and a lot of skating.

As 1972 points out some players need the constant movement and involvement of the center position to be effective. Someone like Adam, with his lack of speed and if he is indecisive on wing, would tend to look like a slug.

As someone whose been a coach for a while, its always amazed me how different players react to being moved to a different position. Some make the transition with no issues at all whereas others are utterly lost in the new position.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:19 PM
joshjull

Adam needs to produce offense to matter. When he isn't he is pretty useless.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
I guess all the coaches I had growing up were retards then. Sorry to have provided an opinion.
You're not totally wrong..... normally if you can't play wing you can't play center

And if you are MAG if you can't play wing you can't play defense either

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
I dont see why people are saying he doesnt care or isnt giving 100 percent, to me it looks like he just has no confidence.

All he needs in a couple games where the puck goes in and he will find his game again
To me it looks like both. He looks almost afraid to try anything in the offensive end because of that confidence. But at the same time, he seems like he's not even trying anything...ever...with or without the puck...just going through the motions.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:17 AM
sabrefan27

I think he should be scratched a few games or even demoted to the ECHL. Something needs to wake him up.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Jacob582

Last year I watched a game Adam played with the Sabres while he was struggling. He didn't engage anyone physically. Maybe that's not his game, but it seems like as a rookie if you are in a scoring drought and want to keep your NHL job then you would check somebody.

Early this season with the Amerks I watched a game and every time he got the puck he gave it away quite quickly. The other times that teammates passed him the puck it bounced off his stick to the other team.

The last couple games Adam has been more aggressive. I have seen him forecheck and he has driven to the net on more than one occasion. Previously I had not seen him drive to the net anytime recently. So this is a good sign, maybe a sign he is getting his confidence back. If he does this regularly he may earn a spot in the NHL.

Jacob582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I know plenty of people are worried, and have been worried for a while. But at what point do we question whether he even has NHL upside?
He doesn't have NHL upside. And that is nothing to worry about.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:05 AM
DJN21

I dont think he's hit that true "low point" yet where he realizes hes fighting for his career...mind you hes not even a year removed from the high of playing in the rookies all star games...

give him time to reazlie its time to try, engage physically and be a team player or lose it all and I think we'll see something...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
He doesn't have NHL upside. And that is nothing to worry about.
He has as much upside as Ales Kotalik did. Kotalik had an even worse attitude about the AHL than Adam has as well.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:01 PM
littletonhockeycoach

I haven't seen him play this year of course but last season I came to the conclusion that to be successful, he needs to play outside his comfort zone and aggressively adopt a different style. He's not going to be successful playing like he's the 2nd coming of Peter McNab.

I think it's within his reach to play a more driving style (even with his skating handicaps) but I have my doubts that he wants to.

Which is one of the reasons he looks like he's standing around watching things happen or reacting way too late to the action.

His best attributes are his size and his shot but he's not used the former to any advantage and confidence in his shot (before he was sent down) was nil.

Yet, he was a young gun in last year's All Star game.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:23 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
LOLWUT?

Hmm, that's definitely not true at all.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
I've been saying this for a while. They were trying to package him with Roy to Anaheim last season. I think they will trade him in the next year.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
LOLWUT?

Vancouver fans at the time of the trade told us that Hodgson looked lost at wing when he played there, but was much better at center. It may be uncommon, but it can happen.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Vancouver fans at the time of the trade told us that Hodgson looked lost at wing when he played there, but was much better at center. It may be uncommon, but it can happen.
Yeah, we tried Hodgson on Kesler's wing, but it never worked out. At that time, he couldn't keep up with Kesler and Booth/Higgins. One of the reasons why we ultimately decided to trade him.

Hodgson is much better as a centre anyway. Playing centre takes advantage of his great vision.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:44 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
If Adam has any shot at an NHL career its as a sniper winger who has others do the "dirty work" for him ala a Danny Heatley(obviously with Adam having a way lower ceiling).

He has none of the skill-set needed to play bottom 9 minutes...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
If Adam has any shot at an NHL career its as a sniper winger who has others do the "dirty work" for him ala a Danny Heatley(obviously with Adam having a way lower ceiling).

He has none of the skill-set needed to play bottom 9 minutes...
He'll need zone-start protection, as well. I'm going to give him 20-30 games before I form an opinion about where his game is vis-a-vis the second half of last season. I think we're all jumping the gun a little bit right now--we all know he finished poorly last year, let's give him a bit more time to see where he is this season.

He may not end up being more than a guy who's constantly on the AHL-NHL shuttle. He may be a consistent 20-goal scorer in the NHL. Time will tell.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He'll need zone-start protection, as well. I'm going to give him 20-30 games before I form an opinion about where his game is vis-a-vis the second half of last season. I think we're all jumping the gun a little bit right now--we all know he finished poorly last year, let's give him a bit more time to see where he is this season.

He may not end up being more than a guy who's constantly on the AHL-NHL shuttle. He may be a consistent 20-goal scorer in the NHL. Time will tell.
This is where I'm at, even after his rough start to the season with the Amerks where he was arguably their worst player.

The last two or three games have been an improvement though, as he's shown flashes where he'll use his body to power his way to the net. It's the fact that he doesn't do this consistently that is worrisome.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
This is where I'm at, even after his rough start to the season with the Amerks where he was arguably their worst player.

The last two or three games have been an improvement though, as he's shown flashes where he'll use his body to power his way to the net. It's the fact that he doesn't do this consistently that is worrisome.
Sure, I can agree with that. But he's also 22, and it sometimes takes bigger players longer to figure out how to use size to their advantage on a consistent basis. But if he does figure it out, he could be productive given the fact that he has hands and a quick release.

I also look at it from the perspective that he's a 2nd round pick, and 70% of 2nd rounders never play 100 games in the NHL--Luke already has 71 in his pocket--and around 50% don't play a single game there. Through that lens, it's a bit tough for me to ever call him a "bust."

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Saw him play in Toronto against the Marlies (Game 2 of Season). Luke was lost out there. He made a dipsy-doodle play in the 1st period coming across the blueline, puck got poke-checked away and Luke lost whatever little confidence he's had.

He wasn't the worst player that night, but if Porter/Rankin/Varone are outplaying him... there's something wrong.

If expectations are lowered, I think he's still got a shot as a 4th liner. He's got to play physically, defensively responsible... I'd have no issue giving him 8-10 minutes a game.

We've given up on other decent players due to heightened expectations who've gone on to success in limited roles. See "Paille, Daniel" for an example.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sure, I can agree with that. But he's also 22, and it sometimes takes bigger players longer to figure out how to use size to their advantage on a consistent basis. But if he does figure it out, he could be productive given the fact that he has hands and a quick release.

I also look at it from the perspective that he's a 2nd round pick, and 70% of 2nd rounders never play 100 games in the NHL--Luke already has 71 in his pocket--and around 50% don't play a single game there. Through that lens, it's a bit tough for me to ever call him a "bust."
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Add "but time will tell if he gets this or not" to the last sentence in my previous post. I was simply stating what I found worrisome about Adam which went along with the essence of the thread. I'll never call him a bust, as in my eyes that term is reserved for far more disappointing draft picks than him (see Heisten; or Fabry if we're talking only second-rounders).

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote