HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was the Vancouver Canucks "wussiness" great over exaggerated?

Old
10-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Bonecrusher11
Swedish goal king

vCash: 500

Bonecrusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:29 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Physical toughness was underrated, but they were absolute wusses at times.
This. Lest we forget the Canucks led most of the games, even the ones they lost, in hits. I know it's a real-time stat and a lot of people don't put a ton of weight to it, but it's got to count for something.

On the other hand though, they were outclassed heavily in mental toughness and intestinal fortitude.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Reign Nateo

Canucks weren't prepared for the Finals to be called "prison rules" they'd made their way there not responding to cheap shots and playing whistle to whistle and burning teams on the PP. When the whistles went away and it became a physical free for all, the Canucks were stunned and done in by a very physical Bruins squad.

I don't think the Canucks are "wussies" or that anyone sitting behind a computer on a message board should be calling an NHL player that, but they were definitley ill-prepared for how physical the series got. Bruins took advantage and played a hell of a physical team game and took advantage of the media melting Luongo's brain.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:40 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
The canucks might have had players on their team with fighting backgrounds, but they just got pushed around by the B's. Never once stood up for themselves. Most remember the marchand scene with the repeated jabs to sedins face. If you are the leader of a hockey team, you cannot allow another player to do that to you without answering the bell. Another telling scene was when marchand flew into the corner, clothes lined someone, flipped the next canuck over his back and tackled the third. truly one of the greatest sequences from an NHL instigator/pest i've seen in my lifetime.
Finished off with the dusting of hands while skating past the Canucks bench. One of the greatest hockey moments I've ever witnessed.

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Canucks weren't prepared for the Finals to be called "prison rules" they'd made their way there not responding to cheap shots and playing whistle to whistle and burning teams on the PP. When the whistles went away and it became a physical free for all, the Canucks were stunned and done in by a very physical Bruins squad.

I don't think the Canucks are "wussies" or that anyone sitting behind a computer on a message board should be calling an NHL player that, but they were definitley ill-prepared for how physical the series got. Bruins took advantage and played a hell of a physical team game and took advantage of the media melting Luongo's brain.
Luongo melted his own brain. I don't recall any media person out there on the ice with him letting in eight goals in one game.

And if you're going to reference "cheap shots"...

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 391
I was surprised at how easy it was to knock the "twins" off their skates. All players fall once in awhile due to catching an edge or whatever but it didn't take much for these two to be falling over....They weren't the only Nuck players doing it.

The B's deserved to win. They were the better team.

10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:

Well...The Nucks tried to be physical. They did injure Nate Horton and bit Patrice Bergeron. As the saying goes "don't poke the bear". I have no respect for players like Burrows and Lapuke.

The B's were the better team. The first two games could have easily gone the other way. They played well in all of the games and in game 7 were excellent.

Luongo did himself in. He should have just shut up but instead gave the media something to make himself look like a fool. I felt bad for him but he had no one to blame but himself.

Last edited by Ladyfan: 10-25-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Finished off with the dusting of hands while skating past the Canucks bench. One of the greatest hockey moments I've ever witnessed.
Marchy isn't always classy but most would love to have him on their team.

I don't know which was my favorite moment in the finals. The cup win ..Timmy shoving the Twin , there were so many ...

Old
10-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Marchy isn't always classy but most would love to have him on their team.

I don't know which was my favorite moment in the finals. The cup win ..Timmy shoving the Twin , there were so many ...
Burrows slashing Thomas in the hand (you could hear Thomas cry out even on the telecast) and Lucic responding by punching Burrows in the head... and Canucks fans for poor innocent Alex.

Man, that was such a satisfying series...

Old
10-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Well...The Nucks tried to be physical. They did injure Nate Horton and bite Patrice Bergeron. As the saying goes "don't poke the bear". I have no respect for players like Burrows and Lapuke.

The B's were the better team. The first two games could have easily gone the other way. They played well in all of the games and in game 7 were excellent.

Luongo did himself in. He should have just shut up but instead gave the media something to make himself look like a fool. I felt bad for him but he had no one to blame but himself.
I agree with just about all that's being said here about the Bruins imposing their will and all that.

I want to comment on the bolded and just add, that's how you know the Bruins were clearly the better team. Their three losses could have very easily been wins. One goal with 18? seconds left. One goal in OT. One goal that could have been played better, and would be an easy save for some other goalies The four wins, however, well there was no chance they could go the other way.

Rubber Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Burrows slashing Thomas in the hand (you could hear Thomas cry out even on the telecast) and Lucic responding by punching Burrows in the head... and Canucks fans for poor innocent Alex.

I LOVED the smirk on Timmy's face after that ^

Old
10-25-2012, 05:12 PM
EverettMike

Quote:

They would have forfeited the series if they had to play in the mid-90s Western Conference.

"Priosn rules." The hyperbole about the Bruins "thuggery" continues.

What team had a cheapshot that knocked a top-line player out? Which team bit a guy.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
They would have forfeited the series if they had to play in the mid-90s Western Conference.

"Priosn rules." The hyperbole about the Bruins "thuggery" continues.

What team had a cheapshot that knocked a top-line player out? Which team bit a guy.
Heck, which team featured Raffi Torres and his amazing flying elbows? (Thank goodness Johnny Boychuk has good instincts and knows how to duck.)

Old
10-25-2012, 05:22 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:

ITs been like 16 months and it still makes me happy thinking about it. The tension and all the hatred in that series was great. Was their any series in the last 10 years that was that heated?

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Heck, which team featured Raffi Torres and his amazing flying elbows? (Thank goodness Johnny Boychuk has good instincts and knows how to duck.)
I CAME UP WITH THAT!*

My legacy grows!

*I really believe I did.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
bruinsfan001

I actually thought they were a tougher team (physically) when the Bruins played them during the regular season that year, also was when i had respect for that team. Than they were tough to score goals against in the playoffs (not in all games though). Either way they definitely felt like a top team in the western conference.

bruinsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I CAME UP WITH THAT!*

My legacy grows!

*I really believe I did.
Actually, I don't think anyone can really claim orginality on that one, as anyone who's watched Torres play more than 10 minutes has said it. I know I have, for years.

Yeesh, that reminds me, a few years ago Dale Arnold was campaigning for the Bruins to pick up that **** at the trade deadline. Barf.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:46 PM
ODAAT

Lack of Heart, character, willingness to do all the things needed to win/an NHL goalie.......those were the keys to them failing. The Nucks on ice actions, or inactions were/are there for all to remember them by but I'll stick to the first three things as the main reasons why the right team won

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
BubbaBoot

The Eunucks lived and died on the PP so it was no secret that they were doing anything to gain the man advantage. I imagine the Bruins thought that if they were going to take a penalty, it was going to be a legitimate PENALTY....and hopefully take someone with them.

The Bruins played like Bruins, that's why we love them.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I seem to remember one of the twins basically saying in an interview that their strategy going into that series was exactly this - to draw penalties, not retaliate, and make them pay on the PP...when the games weren't called that way they were in deep trouble, and probably knew it. I don't know if it would have made a difference anyways since Boston's PK was phenomenal in that series.

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:02 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
I CAME UP WITH THAT!*

My legacy grows!

*I really believe I did.
someone on this board used to call tim thomas "tim thomas and his amazing technicolor five-hole!"

it's just something that sticks with you.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:03 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
someone on this board used to call tim thomas "tim thomas and his amazing technicolor five-hole!"

it's just something that sticks with you.
Jon Casey, not TT.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:07 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I CAME UP WITH THAT!*

My legacy grows!

*I really believe I did.
in the age of fact checking I could not find this out- ironically I did find you invented the wrap

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:08 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
in the age of fact checking I could not find this out- ironically I did find you invented the wrap
You joke, but I did invent that flying elbow thing.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:11 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
after bobby gets done trashing clayton mortensen for failing to deliver a coconut water 15 minutes before the game, you're next on his list.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote