HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 08:35 PM
OpenIceHit42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
HNA is a gong show
Depends on what division you play in... I've seen some of the lower level games and it was a complete joke.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:16 PM
MikeModano9

Last night down 6-5 with 43 seconds left. We score a blatant goal puck was at least a foot in. we celly. Line up at center. But now both refs and all 6 of their players are having a little huddle meeting. All of a sudden the ref turns around and waves no goal. After he already called it a goal when it happened. Name calling ensued.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I loled for a few minutes reading about the guy here who is so upset over not getting credited for an assist in a beer league

Old
10-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
Beer leagues are notoriously bad for awarding and crediting assists to the right people.
One of my friends, who's absolutely awful, will yell his number from the bench everytime our team scores and he usually ends up getting more assists or goals than anyone. We thought it would be better if him and I just switched jerseys, since I've been our top scorer for a few years now lol. So at the end of the year he ends up with 2 ppg and I end up with maybe 1 or 2 assists LOL. But there are guys who definitely go all out to get assists. Seems like every game there's some idiot running over to the ref to make sure he got the assist. I play in a league where guys love to pad their stats. Hell, our first game of the season we were losing 7-2 and in the last few minutes two of our dmen blocked shots and got hurt so I played defense for one shift, ONE SHIFT and had on two separate occasions had guys come down and blast slapshots at my shins. The second time there was 2 seconds left. I got pissed and gave the kid a little shot in the back of the knee after the game. That's ****ing ridiculous.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon1990 View Post
I loled for a few minutes reading about the guy here who is so upset over not getting credited for an assist in a beer league
If you actually read my initial post you can tell i wasnt "so upset". I started getting upset when a couple of posters were painting me as some guy crying to the scorekeeper during the game...which didnt happen.

but hey, keep revising the facts.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Depends on what division you play in... I've seen some of the lower level games and it was a complete joke.
Maybe it is different where you live, but every division is a joke around here. The refs, the score keeping, the team balance, the players and everything.

Last edited by Aucoin11*: 10-24-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Here's my beer league frustration. I can't afford it.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:55 PM
SouthpawTRK

You could always try to get on a team's sub list; that way you can pay as you play.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:13 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

As a beer league scorekeeper, all you have to do is ask to be credited. Yes, I will judge you for it, but who cares what the scorekeeper thinks?

I got a phantom assist tonight on a goal that was credited to a guy who isn't on our team this season. Good times.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:55 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
One of my friends, who's absolutely awful, will yell his number from the bench everytime our team scores and he usually ends up getting more assists or goals than anyone. We thought it would be better if him and I just switched jerseys, since I've been our top scorer for a few years now lol. So at the end of the year he ends up with 2 ppg and I end up with maybe 1 or 2 assists LOL. But there are guys who definitely go all out to get assists. Seems like every game there's some idiot running over to the ref to make sure he got the assist. I play in a league where guys love to pad their stats. Hell, our first game of the season we were losing 7-2 and in the last few minutes two of our dmen blocked shots and got hurt so I played defense for one shift, ONE SHIFT and had on two separate occasions had guys come down and blast slapshots at my shins. The second time there was 2 seconds left. I got pissed and gave the kid a little shot in the back of the knee after the game. That's ****ing ridiculous.
Ok I HAVE to try that.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
You could always try to get on a team's sub list; that way you can pay as you play.
And there is my peeve.

I find that complete BS and unfair to the rest of the players who shell out the entire league fee. None of us make every game, most of us miss 4-6 games in a 20 game season but we aren't asking for money back for the games we missed.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
There's a guy that used to do the the first season we started keeping track of stats but I'm pretty sure he was doing it as a joke. Even from the bench he's yelling at the score keeper after every goal, "Hey!! Make sure to give #5 an assist on that one!"

Old
10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
Ok I HAVE to try that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
There's a guy that used to do the the first season we started keeping track of stats but I'm pretty sure he was doing it as a joke. Even from the bench he's yelling at the score keeper after every goal, "Hey!! Make sure to give #5 an assist on that one!"
Haha if you guys saw my buddy you'd laugh. He's 26 and about 4'11. Just started playing like 2 or 3 years ago and can't skate. He's a funny guy, we actually named him captain last season as a joke. He rocked the C all year. Hockeys just a joke to him, if someone skates by him, hell, if the wind blows, he purposely falls down to draw a penalty. Usually the refs just laugh at him though. It's really funny seeing people try and scrap him. We usually go over and deck the idiots. Yeah...you're gonna try and fight a guy who's the size of 10 year old?

Old
10-28-2012, 09:05 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Haha if you guys saw my buddy you'd laugh. He's 26 and about 4'11. Just started playing like 2 or 3 years ago and can't skate. He's a funny guy, we actually named him captain last season as a joke. He rocked the C all year. Hockeys just a joke to him, if someone skates by him, hell, if the wind blows, he purposely falls down to draw a penalty. Usually the refs just laugh at him though. It's really funny seeing people try and scrap him. We usually go over and deck the idiots. Yeah...you're gonna try and fight a guy who's the size of 10 year old?
he sounds like my type of captain! Inhouse hockey is supposed to be just for fun anyway, so I'm all for people trying to have a laugh.

After all that, I had a look at my house team's stats today. Two games into our summer comp we have scored five goals and been awarded - wait for it - ONE WHOLE ASSIST. yeah, no. We sure as hell haven't had four breakaway goals, so we emailed the scorers and they outright admitted that they weren't bothering to check who assisted the goal because it was causing them too much bother (riiiiiiiiggght) so you know what? I was kind of kidding before, but when I'm well enough to play, you can bet every time my team nets one, all you'll be able to hear from our bench is a squeaky "NUMBER 9! NUMBER 9"

I don't want to be one of 'those' house players but really, only crediting one in five primary assists is a bit much.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Ozz

Quote:
he sounds like my type of captain! Inhouse hockey is supposed to be just for fun anyway, so I'm all for people trying to have a laugh.

After all that, I had a look at my house team's stats today. Two games into our summer comp we have scored five goals and been awarded - wait for it - ONE WHOLE ASSIST. yeah, no. We sure as hell haven't had four breakaway goals, so we emailed the scorers and they outright admitted that they weren't bothering to check who assisted the goal because it was causing them too much bother (riiiiiiiiggght) so you know what? I was kind of kidding before, but when I'm well enough to play, you can bet every time my team nets one, all you'll be able to hear from our bench is a squeaky "NUMBER 9! NUMBER 9"

I don't want to be one of 'those' house players but really, only crediting one in five primary assists is a bit much.
We get that in our league too, or at least we used to until recently. What's baffling is they'll also come up with ghost assists while ignoring the plain and obvious ones.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:00 PM
do0glas

Goalie got a ghost assist...pretty sure were all okay with that lol!

Old
10-28-2012, 05:20 PM
thedonger

game's cancelled tomorrow because of that biotch sandy.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Goalie got a ghost assist...pretty sure were all okay with that lol!
I've noticed that usually when a goal is unassisted, they give credit of an assist to the goalie.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:20 PM
CanucksSayEh

I have a bet going with a buddy on who gets the most points this year, so i'll be damned if i don't get credit for my assists lol

Old
10-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
I've noticed that usually when a goal is unassisted, they give credit of an assist to the goalie.
Wow - our goalie (and possibly every one in our league) would lead their teams in assists if the refs adopted that theory

Old
10-28-2012, 10:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
We sure as hell haven't had four breakaway goals, so we emailed the scorers and they outright admitted that they weren't bothering to check who assisted the goal because it was causing them too much bother
Assists are the ref's job, not the scorekeeper's. There's a good chance that the officials in your have developed a "nobody cares about assists" culture.

Try sending an email to the hockey director (or whoever is ultimately in charge of the refs) explaining the situation and asking him to encourage the refs to start reporting assists.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:13 AM
FANonymous

Beer league refs are such a ****ing joke they might as well not even be there. Get rid of them and lower the league fees for all the teams.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Beer league refs are such a ****ing joke they might as well not even be there. Get rid of them and lower the league fees for all the teams.
Best idea ever.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:31 AM
Fanned On It

I'm not a big fan of ringers either. Playing one level below your highest is fine, but dropping any more than that and it just becomes ridiculous.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Got blown out 10-2 by a team that didn't have three guys wearing the same jerseys. Pretty much all ringers playing down a level.

Closed Thread