HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2012, 10:10 AM
  #601
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor
 
Chalupa Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 21,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gernb View Post
There was a piece in today's Seattle Times about hockey interest in the Seattle area:

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/...keytown16.html
Reasonably good article, although this paragraph bothered me:

"The Thunderbirds arrived 10 years after the last professional team, the Totems, left Seattle. The Thunderbirds played at KeyArena until the franchise moved to Kent in 2009."

The Totems left in 1975 (after Seattle was promised an NHL team, and had to lose the Totems to do so). The Thunderbirds did start in 1985, but they were originally named the Breakers (who moved to Seattle in 1977).

Another related article in the Times today:
http://seattletimes.com/html/localne..._arena16m.html

Chalupa Batman is offline  
Old
10-16-2012, 04:59 PM
  #602
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,146
vCash: 500
So is that Phoenix 10.4% interest is that currently? Or before the NHL got there. Its not really fair to compare established cities with teams to a city with no team.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 01:47 PM
  #603
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Ken Schram vs. the ILWU.....

Looks like Ken Schram wants to take on the longshoremen:

http://www.komonews.com/opinion/kens...174595661.html

At least they get a "Schrammie" as a consolation prize should they lose in court, which we all hope is the case.......

(For those of you from outside of Seattle, the "Schrammie" is an award Ken Schram hands out each week in a commentary on KOMO's evening news. What it actually is is a bobblehead of Schram that he sends out to the award winner.)

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 02:57 PM
  #604
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Schram has been a supporter of the new arena.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
10-18-2012, 10:02 PM
  #605
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Via @chrisdaniels5

the port union has officially filed a lawsuit trying to stop it.

my opinion its a pointless lawsuit and total waste of time. It will only delay Hansen in trying to find a team. Cause the 2nd vote will happen regardless of what the judges say. EIS/SEPA will continue no matter what hence why its a stupid lawsuit.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 07:12 AM
  #606
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Via @chrisdaniels5

the port union has officially filed a lawsuit trying to stop it.

my opinion its a pointless lawsuit and total waste of time. It will only delay Hansen in trying to find a team. Cause the 2nd vote will happen regardless of what the judges say. EIS/SEPA will continue no matter what hence why its a stupid lawsuit.
Sure didn't take them long, did it?

BTW, on a slightly OT-note, those of us who have been critical of the Times' coverage of the arena discussion are probably taking some interest, and a few swipes at the paper, over this:

http://www.king5.com/news/politics/B...174876151.html

The Times' publishers, the Blethen family, have taken out ad space in their newspaper, estimated at $75,000, to publish ads supporting the candidacy of Rob McKenna, a Republican, to become the state's next governor (similar to provincial premier for our Canadian posters) and also to support a pro gay-marriage referendum on the ballot as well here in a few weeks.

You know, considering their coverage on the arena, this really takes it to a new level, doesn't it??

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
  #607
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Sure didn't take them long, did it?

BTW, on a slightly OT-note, those of us who have been critical of the Times' coverage of the arena discussion are probably taking some interest, and a few swipes at the paper, over this:

http://www.king5.com/news/politics/B...174876151.html

The Times' publishers, the Blethen family, have taken out ad space in their newspaper, estimated at $75,000, to publish ads supporting the candidacy of Rob McKenna, a Republican, to become the state's next governor (similar to provincial premier for our Canadian posters) and also to support a pro gay-marriage referendum on the ballot as well here in a few weeks.

You know, considering their coverage on the arena, this really takes it to a new level, doesn't it??
Well it doesn't take long when they got a idiot environmental lawyer that also happens to be on the payroll of the union/port also aganist it.

In their minds that just cause city/county had a vote that its violating Sepa/EIS. Doesn't matter what the vote is for just that there was a vote. And they are crying foul.

Mondays vote was NOT to approve the building it was to start the EIS/SEPA process where Hansen pays for it and Hansen can start looking for a NBA team and a NHL owner.

If they are right that the arena will cause doomsday for the port then they the hell would they sue they would just let the EIS/SEPA process do the talking. Its not gonna show that the arena will cause doomsday and they know that hence why they are suing.

The 2nd vote (term sheet) will give the okay or not based on EIS/SEPA on providing the public funds and giving the okay to build the building pending on a NBA team being secured.

The union/lawyer refuse to read/understand the entire agreement from the first page to the last page. It doesn't follow their agenda.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 05:19 PM
  #608
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 662
vCash: 500
I figured I'd give this thread a bump. In light of the announcement invloving the Islanders moving into the Barclay's Centre in 2015, it would interesting to compare to an NHL franchise relocating to Seattle.

1) Barring any follow up announcements, the Islanders will be a tenant at Barclays. Would their survival be a comparable to a Seattle NHL franchise under Hansen?

2) Barclays is not NHL-friendly and has been compared to the America West Arena in Phoenix. Does anyone know how Key Arena would compare to Barclays, specifically in terms of hockey seating, obstructed views, etc?

Aside from the fact that the Islanders are one less relocation candidate, would the Brooklyn/Islanders deal help Seattle?


Last edited by MuzikMachine: 10-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.
MuzikMachine is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 08:31 PM
  #609
gmjevtwa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Everett, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post

1) Barring any follow up announcements, the Islanders will be a tenant at Barclays. Would their survival be a comparable to a Seattle NHL franchise under Hansen?

2) Barclays is not NHL-friendly and has been compared to the America West Arena in Phoenix. Does anyone know how Key Arena would compare to Barclays, specifically in terms of hockey seating, obstructed views, etc?

Aside from the fact that the Islanders are one less relocation candidate, would the Brooklyn/Islanders deal help Seattle?
From yesterday's press conference and the local (NY) news reports that I've read, the Islanders signed a 25 year agreement to play at Barclays Center starting in 2015. The arena currently seats approx. 14,500 for hockey games. Islanders owner Charles Wang and Barclays Centerminority owner and developer Bruce Ratner have 3 years to figure that out how to increase seating for hockey. Right now, Nassau Coliseum is the second smallest NHL arena in seating at approx. 16,250 with Winnipeg's MTS Center the smallest at 15,004.

Hockey seating charts for the Key and Barclays Center are similar to America West Arena (now US Airways Center): center ice and overhead scoreboards are not aligned.

I've attended a few hockey games at Key Arena when the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds played a few seasons ago. Despite a very loud and festive hockey crowd, I was not very impressed with the venue. Nonetheless, if an expansion or transferred NHL team does end up in Seattle, Key Arena would be an acceptable temporary venue for just 1-2 seasons. I've seen numerous numbers ranging from 8,000-11,000 unobstructed seats with a full capacity of approx. 15,000.

As a former Uniondale, Long Island resident now living in the Seattle area, I was intrigued. At the same time, it would have been silly for the Islanders to move so far away when a new arena was being built in Brooklyn.

Could this deal help Seattle? I'm not too sure how to answer that question. If building a new arena means new NBA and NHL teams within in 2-5 years in Seattle, then it would be similar to what is happened to Barclays in Brooklyn.
Will it happen? Who knows.
Personally, I hope it does.


Last edited by gmjevtwa: 10-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.
gmjevtwa is offline  
Old
10-25-2012, 10:17 PM
  #610
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So is that Phoenix 10.4% interest is that currently? Or before the NHL got there. Its not really fair to compare established cities with teams to a city with no team.
I pulled that part of the article out as most significant.

The official conclusion I reached is: Those popularity polls are total garbage.

Quote:
In 2004-2005, only 7.1 percent from Seattle said they were somewhat or very interested in MLS. That number has more than doubled to 17.2 percent.
Seattle, of course, has set average attendance records now in each of its four seasons in MLS:

30,943 in 2009
36,173 in 2010
38,498 in 2011
43,144 in 2012

Only 24 clubs in all of Europe have higher average attendance than Seattle. The Sounders are out-drawing CHELSEA (Granted capacity is a factor, Chelsea sells out every game at under 42,000).

But it shows that putting stock in that percentage is worthless.

KevFu is online now  
Old
10-25-2012, 10:23 PM
  #611
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
EIS process has started.

http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Not...=763&NID=14351

gstommylee is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 06:14 AM
  #612
nwpensfan
Registered User
 
nwpensfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The 14th Tee
Country: United States
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Well it doesn't take long when they got a idiot environmental lawyer that also happens to be on the payroll of the union/port also aganist it.

In their minds that just cause city/county had a vote that its violating Sepa/EIS. Doesn't matter what the vote is for just that there was a vote. And they are crying foul.

Mondays vote was NOT to approve the building it was to start the EIS/SEPA process where Hansen pays for it and Hansen can start looking for a NBA team and a NHL owner.

If they are right that the arena will cause doomsday for the port then they the hell would they sue they would just let the EIS/SEPA process do the talking. Its not gonna show that the arena will cause doomsday and they know that hence why they are suing.

The 2nd vote (term sheet) will give the okay or not based on EIS/SEPA on providing the public funds and giving the okay to build the building pending on a NBA team being secured.

The union/lawyer refuse to read/understand the entire agreement from the first page to the last page. It doesn't follow their agenda.
Great post!!! Threat of/actual lawsuit is all grandstanding on the part of port for pubic opinion and nothing more. Waster of court time IMO.

nwpensfan is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
  #613
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
In non hockey related but relates to the arena getting built.

Word is out that Stern final act as commissioner is getting seattle a NBA team again. He is pressuring the Maloofs to sell to Chris Hansen's group

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...-25321709.html

gstommylee is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
  #614
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I pulled that part of the article out as most significant.

The official conclusion I reached is: Those popularity polls are total garbage.



Seattle, of course, has set average attendance records now in each of its four seasons in MLS:

30,943 in 2009
36,173 in 2010
38,498 in 2011
43,144 in 2012

Only 24 clubs in all of Europe have higher average attendance than Seattle. The Sounders are out-drawing CHELSEA (Granted capacity is a factor, Chelsea sells out every game at under 42,000).

But it shows that putting stock in that percentage is worthless.


I saw that. That Sounders FC had higher averages for crowds than many World Wide Clubs.

Also that Sounders FC had double the average of Television viewers, which is why they are looking for big $$$$$ in regards to their new Sponsor.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
  #615
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,146
vCash: 500
http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs...rn/?xid=si_nba

Quote:
Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said, and has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

From the league office, pressure on the Maloofs to sell has been growing, sources said — just as hopes for a new Sacramento arena have been fading. Seattle Sonics fans will never forgive Stern for his complicit role in Clay Bennett’s deception to move that franchise to Oklahoma City, but make no mistake: Stern desperately wants to return the NBA to one of its great markets and wants it for his own measure of vindication before he leaves office.

As one source involved in the process said, “Stern has enough time to get a team back to Seattle, but he’ll let Silver deal with the crowd [booing] on opening night.”

Lets go go

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
  #616
wildthing202
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Douglas, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
The same info is in the yahoo article word for word.

I hope that does happen though.

wildthing202 is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
  #617
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,146
vCash: 500
Bill Simmons reported today that Phil Jackson has no interest in coaching the LAkers because he wants to be involved with a Seattle team. Hmmm.

Also what are the political ramifications of the Glendale vote?

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:02 PM
  #618
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Bill Simmons reported today that Phil Jackson has no interest in coaching the LAkers because he wants to be involved with a Seattle team. Hmmm.

Also what are the political ramifications of the Glendale vote?
Very interesting developments. IIRC, I thought he had at one time lived during the offseason in Montana. Geography might have a lot to do with it then if that is the case since it would only be about a 10-12 hour drive to Seattle from there. I sort of thought he'd end up in Portland for similar reasons when they were looking around for their new coach, GM and team president last summer.

If Seattle were to land a team, I'd see Jackson in a role as a team president as opposed to a coach.

As for Phoenix, I'll let the folks down there address that.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:04 PM
  #619
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hartland, Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
He still does live in Montana. During the summer Real Sports did an interview with him from his house there.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now  
Old
11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
  #620
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
http://web1.seattle.gov/dpd/luib/Not...=767&NID=14407

Design Review Early Design Guidance Meeting nov 27.

We could be seeing some arena designs possible soon


Last edited by gstommylee: 11-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.
gstommylee is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
  #621
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,510
vCash: 500
I was just up in Seattle last weekend, so I did some informal surveying. Most people want both: NHL and NBA.

Most people were positive about hockey;
a few "eh, as long as we get the Sonics, hockey is a bonus. Not my thing, but good for Seattle."
And a couple people were in the want an NHL team, who cares about the NBA? Camp.

Someone told me: "I wish we could get the arena build and have hockey without having to find a basketball team first. I don't care about the NBA. The Coyotes are available now but we can't bring them to Seattle because no NBA team is? That's garbage. Memphis and New Orleans are off the table, and we can't get the Kings because they're ownership group wouldn't be interested in our terms." I found that take extremely knowledgeable and suprising since the guy who told me that was actually AT a basketball game when he said it.

KevFu is online now  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:00 PM
  #622
ThirtyFive
Registered User
 
ThirtyFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
So I haven't been following this very closely, just sort of out of the corner of my eye, but I would love for there to be a Seattle NHL team. After all, the first US-based Stanley Cup champions were from Seattle. So what's the likelihood right now?

ThirtyFive is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  #623
scotchex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
It'll be interesting to see how well MLS holds up once the NBA returns. And possibly even the NHL, too. MLS has done well in a short period of time in Seattle. But people only have so much time, money, and attention to devote to sports.

scotchex is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
  #624
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
It'll be interesting to see how well MLS holds up once the NBA returns. And possibly even the NHL, too. MLS has done well in a short period of time in Seattle. But people only have so much time, money, and attention to devote to sports.
I doubt it'll have that much of a problem. Our Majority owner sees the $$$ in having both NHL and NBA in seattle.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
  #625
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I was just up in Seattle last weekend, so I did some informal surveying. Most people want both: NHL and NBA.

Most people were positive about hockey;
a few "eh, as long as we get the Sonics, hockey is a bonus. Not my thing, but good for Seattle."
And a couple people were in the want an NHL team, who cares about the NBA? Camp.

Someone told me: "I wish we could get the arena build and have hockey without having to find a basketball team first. I don't care about the NBA. The Coyotes are available now but we can't bring them to Seattle because no NBA team is? That's garbage. Memphis and New Orleans are off the table, and we can't get the Kings because they're ownership group wouldn't be interested in our terms." I found that take extremely knowledgeable and suprising since the guy who told me that was actually AT a basketball game when he said it.
Sadly welcome to Seattle where they don't want an empty arena.

gstommylee is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.