HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz named AHL Player of the Week and AHL Player of the Month

Old
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Oiler11

vCash: 500
Justin Schultz named AHL Player of the Week and AHL Player of the Month

Excellent start to his pro career.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407912

Last edited by Oiler11: 10-22-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added link
Oiler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:30 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Overrated, bust.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Total bust. Schultz and a 1st for a 3rd rounder if we are lucky.

10-22-2012, 03:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

Justin Schultz named AHL Player of the Week

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Oklahoma City Barons defenseman Justin Schultz has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 21, 2012.

The rookie defenseman tallied three goals, an assist and a plus-6 rating in two games last week.

Schultz was named the game’s first star in the Barons’ home opener on Friday night, scoring two shorthanded goals, assisting on the game-winning goal, recording six shots and compiling a plus-5 rating in Oklahoma City’s 5-2 victory over San Antonio. The next night, Schultz scored again and earned second-star honors in a 5-3 loss to Lake Erie.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
MoneyGuy

I'm liking this guy more and more. He's looking like a premium prospect but also the fans of other teams already hate him because of what he did to become a free agent and control his destiny. Fans in Calgary and Vancouver detest him, which makes me like him even more and really hope he makes it. That, plus it's like getting a free top-10 draft choice. Love it!!!

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:12 PM
jadeddog

Pretty hard not to be excited about this guys potential. The scouting reports have all been prettu accurate with him: high offensive instincts, fast skater, good stick defensively, pretty decent positionally, cheats a bit for offence but is fast enough to usually recover and is not very physical at all. That is what I have seen for sure in the AHL, now let's hope most of it will transfer to the NHL.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:26 PM
oilphan

Attitude problem

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Ill reserve judgement for when he hits the NHL.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Duck fans are probably super happy we picked up their afterthought.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Meh, he's alright.

10-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Musashi

beast

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
McClelland

wasnt Linus Omark also named Ahl player of the week his rookieseason?

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Dont tell the Ducks fans

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Roof Daddy

I think Schultz is just too creative to not excel at the NHL level. Coaches are so good with defensive schemes, especially on the PK, that it takes a special type of player to break through these things. Schultz is that type of guy, much like Karlsson with the Sens. Just finds ways to get shots through, or opens lanes for others if defenders over commit to him.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
I really don't miss Omark. He was a little better than Schremp, who was a huge letdown for me, too.

Omark is too small and too slow for the NHL and most of his creativity doesn't really take advantage of his teammates. I guess that's a sign of low hockey IQ.

Schutlz.... please don't get my hopes up for nothing...

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:44 AM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I really don't miss Omark. He was a little better than Schremp, who was a huge letdown for me, too.

Omark is too small and too slow for the NHL and most of his creativity doesn't really take advantage of his teammates. I guess that's a sign of low hockey IQ.

Schutlz.... please don't get my hopes up for nothing...
Build up expectation is human,shows passion for the game. Remember the schremp hype, couldnt understand it from a nordic view, same with Gags and Cogs,hadnt seen them playing in their juniors. But the fall is much harder when you have a unrealistic view on a prospect. Schultz looking damn good so far at this level,but i want to lay low, i have seen so many promising 1 st rounders develop to sand. Omark was a 4th rounder, but had proved him self in mens leuage and the national team, his hype came from a couple swedish homers with less undersstanding for the Nhl system and that small players has limit time to show them self,also because they cant be used as roleplayers.

I only agree of the bold part, the reason is that he overthinks his plays and his qualitys has been missused. I would say that hes to smart for his linemates and should make it easier and play faster.
He should carve out a decent nhl career if he find a good fit and adapt his game.

Schultz is gonna be a nhl player in my book, klefbom too, how high they reach is unwritten but i hope they develop them smart and not throw them to the wolves to fast.

Last edited by McClelland: 10-23-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
10-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Schultz has also outplayed everyone on the Barons roster, Nugent Hopkins and Eberle included.

Also this is Schultz' very first week as a pro, period.

And honestly I think there still is a solid NHL player in Omark ... just a question of how much he's willing to adapt to the North American game and how bad he wants it (I'd say it's dubious on both accounts).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 07:19 AM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Schultz has also outplayed everyone on the Barons roster, Nugent Hopkins and Eberle included.

Also this is Schultz' very first week as a pro, period.

And honestly I think there still is a solid NHL player in Omark ... just a question of how much he's willing to adapt to the North American game and how bad he wants it (I'd say it's dubious on both accounts).
Schultz start in ahl is much over expectations i had on him, surely for most of the fans.
That can also leading to, that we give him to high performer level to live up to. Periods with low production and not so good play will come. I had kept him in Ahl the whole season if the Nhl starts, Give him 10 nhl games in the end of the season(if he continues to play well) if we are out of the play off as expected.

In the Nhl you get less time to control he puck, hes up against another level of forwards. It takes much longer time to develop defenders then forwards, most of them sees ahl time for atleast a year or two.

Prv made a really good camp as a rookie and was great in the pregames, also with a hatty, that was the worst thing for his development to happen, he made the oilers and instead of develop his offensive skills and instincts at lesser level, he only played safe and scared, afraid of making mistakes. I will say he lost 1.5 years of his development where he could worked on his offensive skills, building up confidence and adapt much easier to Na rinks and hockey.

Old
10-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Soundwave

He's 22, he's ready for the NHL. Though it'll be nice for him to ease into things now by getting some time in the AHL anyway.

If he wasn't ready Vancouver, Toronto, New York, etc. wouldn't have been sending delegations to go talk to him.

Just because PRV has had up and down development doesn't mean everyone is the same.

People said Nugent Hopkins shouldn't play in the NHL last year too. Most d-men who are worth a lick in the NHL eventually are already playing in the big show by age 22. Sure he's going to make mistakes and have bad nights, every kid does.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:07 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

this will go to his head and he will stop putting in the effort to win...........not a team player........selfish.......will try to get out of edmonton as soon as he can.........

signed Vancouver and Calgary fan

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I think Schultz is just too creative to not excel at the NHL level. Coaches are so good with defensive schemes, especially on the PK, that it takes a special type of player to break through these things. Schultz is that type of guy, much like Karlsson with the Sens. Just finds ways to get shots through, or opens lanes for others if defenders over commit to him.
Oh man. 1 week in the AHL and he just drew a comp with the current Norris Trophy winner. I LOVE this stuff.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Oh man. 1 week in the AHL and he just drew a comp with the current Norris Trophy winner. I LOVE this stuff.
He actually does have a very similar playing style to Karlsson..

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:50 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm liking this guy more and more. He's looking like a premium prospect but also the fans of other teams already hate him because of what he did to become a free agent and control his destiny. Fans in Calgary and Vancouver detest him, which makes me like him even more and really hope he makes it. That, plus it's like getting a free top-10 draft choice. Love it!!!
Signing Schultz makes the Penner signing a lot better. Anaheim used the 2nd round pick we sent them in drafting Schultz.

Hopefully we found our #1 PP QB DMAN. It can go a long ways in winning games.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:53 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Signing Schultz makes the Penner signing a lot better. Anaheim used the 2nd round pick we sent them in drafting Schultz.

Hopefully we found our #1 PP QB DMAN. It can go a long ways in winning games.
And then Penner was traded for the 19th overall pick in the 2011 draft (Klefbom)

So in a roundabout way, Pancakes got us our two top D prospects.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:55 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
And then Penner was traded for the 19th overall pick in the 2011 draft (Klefbom)

So in a roundabout way, Pancakes got us our two top D prospects.
Yup. J. Schultz and Klefbom might turn into our top pairing for the next 10 yrs. Also if Tuebert might turn into something then it's 3 dmen.

Edit: I know Eberle was drafted with the pick we got in the Pronger trade. The 2008 draft might have gotten us 2 elite players if J. Schultz is the real deal.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote