HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Part I: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1275047

We'll open Part II when Part I hits 1K in posts.

10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Part I: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1275047

We'll open Part II when Part I hits 1K in posts.
We're open.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
We're open.
1000 posts. in less than a day...

"Nobody cares about the Islanders"

Old
10-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Islespuck89

dcv2002 - Mineola runs trains non stop to barclays. little known fact for when you do that in a few years. The villa of Mineola parking lots are FREE to park in after 7pm m-f and all day Sat and Sun!

Old
10-25-2012, 06:15 PM
lost35*

Bet Wang sells the team real soon

while everyone here is happy, I am not

the Islanders have 3 years left on their lease

There was no reason to get this done now

the Isles could have spent the next 2 years trying to find another buyer, or looking at other plans to keep them on the Island

Wang knew the Isles will be much more marketable with a move to Brooklyn, and now I bet he decides to get this headache off his back

I was always a supporter of Wang, as I know the Islanders situation before Wang and Kumar took over the team was bad, but if Wang made this move now just to make this team more marketable when he sells it, I will be pissed

Old
10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
He's signing a pretty long-term lease with Barclay's, so I don't think the team will be sold for the purpose of moving out of state any time soon. What does it matter who owns it, if it becomes profitable and stays in NY (technically ON the Island) and stays the Islanders?

Old
10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post

the Isles could have spent the next 2 years trying to find another buyer, or looking at other plans to keep them on the Island

Wang knew the Isles will be much more marketable with a move to Brooklyn, and now I bet he decides to get this headache off his back

I was always a supporter of Wang, as I know the Islanders situation before Wang and Kumar took over the team was bad, but if Wang made this move now just to make this team more marketable when he sells it, I will be pissed
You say this like it would be a bad thing. Please explain, because I would be more like, "I'm going to Disneyland!"

Old
10-25-2012, 07:17 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

The isles are locked into ironclad, local leases for the next 28 yrs.

Let Wang sell! It'll have to be a local buyer with those leases.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You say this like it would be a bad thing. Please explain, because I would be more like, "I'm going to Disneyland!"

Honestly. I'm trying to find the downside in the meddling, micro-manager finally selling.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:22 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Honestly. I'm trying to find the downside in the meddling, micro-manager finally selling.
Agreed, I'm scratching my head over why it would be a bad thing too.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:27 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:

Why? Wang held up his side of the bargin, the Islanders are remaining a Long Island based team. The guy has been taking a fiscal hit of tremendous proportions and at this point... With the Islanders staying in LI, do you really care if the guy sells to someone?

Lets just say that super rich RUSSIAN owner of the Nets wants an NHL franchise and basically promises to keep the Islanders off the CAP FLOO... That will really upset you?

I am not saying lets construct a statue of Wang outside of the Barclay's center but still.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:29 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
wouldnt most fans prefer the team to stay on Long Island?

Again, the Islanders had 3 years left on their Nassau Coliseum lease

There was still plenty of talk about other options about building a new arena, and other people who were interested in buying the team and keeping them on the Island

Then we were hit with this BOMBSHELL yesterday

Why did Wang do it?

Well he knows he cant get much for them on the Island

a move to Brooklyn and the team is MUCH more profitable

Like I said, if he winds up selling the team in the next year or so, I will be PISSED

I would have preferred to see the Islanders on Long Island

and Wang probably wanted this headache off his back

Old
10-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Islander102

Quote:
wouldnt most fans prefer the team to stay on Long Island?

Again, the Islanders had 3 years left on their Nassau Coliseum lease

There was still plenty of talk about other options about building a new arena, and other people who were interested in buying the team and keeping them on the Island

Then we were hit with this BOMBSHELL yesterday

Why did Wang do it?

Well he knows he cant get much for them on the Island

a move to Brooklyn and the team is MUCH more profitable

Like I said, if he winds up selling the team in the next year or so, I will be PISSED

I would have preferred to see the Islanders on Long Island

and Wang probably wanted this headache off his back
Yeah, because Nassau politicians are famous for their ability to get big projects moving quickly. Whether you want to admit it to yourself, Nassau County, or "Long Island" as you like to call it (despite disregarding that the Islanders crossed no water to get to their new home) was out as an option. For an arena to be completed by 2015, they would have to come to an agreement by the end of this year. It wasn't happening. It was over. I'm sure you and some others would like to believe that a deal in Nassau was still out there to be had if Wang just tried harder, but there was none. The politicians of "Long Island" had no interest whatsoever in coming up with a solution to keep this team. They were as good as gone, whether it became official yesterday or not.

So what did Wang do? He moved them to a state of the art, world class arena in the financial capital of the universe, 20 miles away, atop a transit terminal accessing all of Long Island. What good for US, the fans (nevermind Wang) would have come out of waiting longer? This magical deal on Long Island was never happening, ever. Don't just look at Wang. 4-5 owners before him ALL tried to get a deal done too. The county and town wouldn't budge. The idea that all of a sudden, a deal was going to get done, comes from somewhere down the yellow brick road. No, the only thing that was going to happen if Wang waited would have been us counting down the days until the end of the lease worrying about if the team would still be there in 2016, all while Quebec and Seattle fans troll this board and the BOH forum with glee, and every visiting broadcast team talks about our impending uncertainty. Would that have been worth it just so that the Islanders could still flirt with a fantasy idea that was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN, with politicians that have no interest in the team whatsoever?

Instead, we get to happily watch the remaining years of our lease tick down with relaxation and eager anticipation of our new world class home. Hell most of us now can't wait for 2015 instead of dreading the day with a knotted stomach. And not only that, but the Islanders now have the opportunity to build their brand in Brooklyn for a couple of years before coming over, instead of just hopping in unannounced with no anticipation building around the team. Really, honestly, I can't think of any valid negatives except sentimental loss of some traditions, but that isn't what you were complaining about at all.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Jester9881

Quote:

The sooner the Islanders have stability the better. Nothing good could have come from waiting any longer.... it takes more time to get an arena built than what is left on the lease anyway.

Time ran out, BK was there with a completed venue. Cut and dry

Old
10-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Agreed, I'm scratching my head over why it would be a bad thing too.
Seriously... it's like, "I won the lotto? But, I have to also marry this beautiful woman?! Gah..... AND she's a nympho that loves to bake brownies?!"

DAMN YOU KARMAAAAAAA!!! (angrily shakes clenched fist in air)

Old
10-25-2012, 09:24 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Yeah, because Nassau politicians are famous for their ability to get big projects moving quickly. Whether you want to admit it to yourself, Nassau County, or "Long Island" as you like to call it (despite disregarding that the Islanders crossed no water to get to their new home) was out as an option. For an arena to be completed by 2015, they would have to come to an agreement by the end of this year. It wasn't happening. It was over. I'm sure you and some others would like to believe that a deal in Nassau was still out there to be had if Wang just tried harder, but there was none. The politicians of "Long Island" had no interest whatsoever in coming up with a solution to keep this team. They were as good as gone, whether it became official yesterday or not.

So what did Wang do? He moved them to a state of the art, world class arena in the financial capital of the universe, 20 miles away, atop a transit terminal accessing all of Long Island. What good for US, the fans (nevermind Wang) would have come out of waiting longer? This magical deal on Long Island was never happening, ever. Don't just look at Wang. 4-5 owners before him ALL tried to get a deal done too. The county and town wouldn't budge. The idea that all of a sudden, a deal was going to get done, comes from somewhere down the yellow brick road. No, the only thing that was going to happen if Wang waited would have been us counting down the days until the end of the lease worrying about if the team would still be there in 2016, all while Quebec and Seattle fans troll this board and the BOH forum with glee, and every visiting broadcast team talks about our impending uncertainty. Would that have been worth it just so that the Islanders could still flirt with a fantasy idea that was NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN, with politicians that have no interest in the team whatsoever?

Instead, we get to happily watch the remaining years of our lease tick down with relaxation and eager anticipation of our new world class home. Hell most of us now can't wait for 2015 instead of dreading the day with a knotted stomach. And not only that, but the Islanders now have the opportunity to build their brand in Brooklyn for a couple of years before coming over, instead of just hopping in unannounced with no anticipation building around the team. Really, honestly, I can't think of any valid negatives except sentimental loss of some traditions, but that isn't what you were complaining about at all.
again Wang could have gave a deadline, say that if nothing was done at the beginning of the 2014-15 season, he would have the team moved to Brooklyn

and Barclays Center is not the Islanders home, it is the Nets home, Islanders are the tenants in that home

Last edited by lost35*: 10-25-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 09:25 PM
invictus

Penguins fan here. I just wanted to say congrats to all you Isles fans! It was not so long ago my beloved team was in danger of moving. So, I know how relieved you all are!

Just curious, about how far will the new arena be from the current one in terms of travel by car (or rail, or whatever is most common in that part of the city)?

Congrats again!

Old
10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Penguins fan here. I just wanted to say congrats to all you Isles fans! It was not so long ago my beloved team was in danger of moving. So, I know how relieved you all are!

Just curious, about how far will the new arena be from the current one in terms of travel by car (or rail, or whatever is most common in that part of the city)?

Congrats again!
22 miles direct point A (Nassau Coliseum) to point B (Barclays).
About a 40-60 min drive (depending on traffic)
about a 30- 45 min train ride from the station nearest the Coliseum to the basement of Barclays, depending on local/express.

And thanks! I didn't like knowing the same worry that you guys felt, but I'm glad as can be we both escaped it with our teams in tact. Hopefully we can follow your path on the ice as well!

Old
10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
The sooner the Islanders have stability the better. Nothing good could have come from waiting any longer.... it takes more time to get an arena built than what is left on the lease anyway.

Time ran out, BK was there with a completed venue. Cut and dry
Quote:
Seriously... it's like, "I won the lotto? But, I have to also marry this beautiful woman?! Gah..... AND she's a nympho that loves to bake brownies?!"

this

Old
10-25-2012, 09:40 PM
KevFu

Quote:

Yeah, but you gotta wait two years to cash in the ticket and get married. Oh, but because of bad planning (we thought she'd be fatter) all she will wear for your marraige are 80s Carol Seaver-style 5XL sweaters.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Yeah, but you gotta wait two years to cash in the ticket and get married. Oh, but because of bad planning (we thought she'd be fatter) all she will wear for your marraige are 80s Carol Seaver-style 5XL sweaters.
eh.... I'm easily amused with brownies and copulation.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Islanders1932

This is a fantastic read in a best case scenario for the Islanders

http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/new...ll-mean-853323

This article put me in a great mood

Old
10-25-2012, 09:48 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Reminder, let's be mindful of keeping things appropriate in here. Please remember that there are minors around. Thanks everyone.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
does anyone know if the seats in sections 13-19 are retractable at all? or is it all concrete?

Old
10-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
does anyone know if the seats in sections 13-19 are retractable at all? or is it all concrete?
The bottom 5-8 rows of those sections are retractable, but really, there is nothing they can do with those sections, since the top 15 rows are concrete. Only the sections on the other end are fully retractable.

Closed Thread