HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 07:58 PM
CaliBuck
Mission: Playoffs

vCash: 500
Chances of getting Mackinnon are so slim. I really don't see this team being in the Bottom 3 or 4 of the league. They'll play a lot better this year.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBuck View Post
Chances of getting Mackinnon are so slim. I really don't see this team being in the Bottom 3 or 4 of the league. They'll play a lot better this year.
What teams are we better than? I can't think of any.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

We don't know how good, or bad, THIS team is yet.

Pump the breaks there, TW. I mean, I'm probably in the same boat as you, but can't we see at least 20 games before we declare them worst in the NHL?

Old
10-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
So far, I'm not sure any players have really broken away from the pack so that a #1-5 pick would be much different than a #5-10 pick. MacKinnon and Jones haven't broken away into a top 2 and there's not a huge gap between them and the other top players.
Respectfully, I have to disagree here.

I think Nathan MacKinnon is without a doubt the player we have to take if we have the first pick. MacKinnon has 17 goals and 26 points, and is a +20 player - in 14 games. This guy is a difference maker offensively, and the only way I don't select him is if someone comes along with an offer I can't refuse for that pick. He won't be a Crosby/Ovechkin, so not to get everyone's hopes up too high, but he should be a very good first line player, a potential 90+ point player in the right circumstances.

Seth Jones is a great prospect, but I'm simply not as high on him as some of the other folks are. Great size, solid player, but unless we're drafting 4th or higher and he falls, I think we can survive without him. After MacKinnon, I think there's definitely a bit of a drop to guys like Jones, Monahan, Ristolainen, Pulock, Lazar, Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Barkov, and Nichushkin. If we can somehow come away with two of these players, we will be in excellent shape in our rebuild.

I also think the chances of us landing the first pick are slim, unless the lockout wipes out the season. I think we have a very competitive group that won't lose easily, and with a higher compete level and tightened up defense (and hopefully goaltending), we should be better than at least 3-4 teams overall. With three first round picks and John Davidson and Craig Patrick helping lead the way, we should be in good shape either way.

Very exciting summer ahead - hopefully a huge turning point for our franchise.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:39 PM
alphafox

I really think Barkov and Mackinnon are going to end up as the two best prospects, but the difference between the leagues they play in makes it hard to judge. Right now I'm actually leaning toward Barkov due to the incredible scoring pace at such a young age in a league that is known for being low scoring.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:16 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBuck View Post
I don't see a season, but I do think your right in terms of us not finishing last if there was a season. I also think with us losing our franchise player, that the league would give us a "nice" draft pick(like the shocking surprise of the team that had no fans going to games & was threating to move got the last #1 pick after a lockout).

Old
10-25-2012, 01:27 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Seth Jones is a great prospect, but I'm simply not as high on him as some of the other folks are. Great size, solid player, but unless we're drafting 4th or higher and he falls, I think we can survive without him.
I'm with you on this one. There's just something about Jones that tells me he's gonna be another Bouwmeester. Good, but not nearly as good as was advertised.

Quote:
After MacKinnon, I think there's definitely a bit of a drop to guys like Jones, Monahan, Ristolainen, Pulock, Lazar, Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Barkov, and Nichushkin. If we can somehow come away with two of these players, we will be in excellent shape in our rebuild.
Find it interesting that you have MacKinnon that much higher than ther others. Been hearing Barkov could take over Mac for #1 depending on the WJC's, which I'm REALLY looking forward to watching this year. Just hope NHL network shows more than just the U.S. games so I can see players like Barkov, Lindholm, & Nichushkin more than horribly edited youtube videos. Of course Jenner, Murray, & potentially Johansen wouldn't be to shabby to watch either.

If we do somehow end up with Mackinnon, be nice to add Drouin as well as they'd form a nice duo from the get go.

Last edited by georgiabluejacket: 10-25-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
What teams are we better than? I can't think of any.
All of them. The Jackets are superior to all of them. Because they're ours and **** everyone else.

In all seriousness? We won't know until they play. We can't know. There is a reason why they play the games. We thought we were going to be awesome last year and things fell apart. Why be so quick to assume doom?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
I'm with you on this one. There's just something about Jones that tells me he's gonna be another Bouwmeester. Good, but not nearly as good as was advertised.

Find it interesting that you have MacKinnon that much higher than ther others. Been hearing Barkov could take over Mac for #1 depending on the WJC's, which I'm REALLY looking forward to watching this year. Just hope NHL network shows more than just the U.S. games so I can see players like Barkov, Lindholm, & Nichushkin more than horribly edited youtube videos. Of course Jenner, Murray, & potentially Johansen wouldn't be to shabby to watch either.

If we do somehow end up with Mackinnon, be nice to add Drouin as well as they'd form a nice duo from the get go.
I wouldn't go as far as Bouwmeester, as his career really seems to have gotten off track in the last couple of years. I think Seth is certainly a potential franchise guy, but I see him being more of a second pairing, shutdown type of guy. I'm skeptical of his offensive game transferring to the next level.

Unfortunately, Ryan Johansen is officially a 20 year old, and thus ineligible to compete at the WJCs. With that in mind, I think Nathan MacKinnon has the skillset to use that tournament to his advantage and separate himself from the pack. I believe he's that good, and makes the guys around him better because of it. Playing alongside players who are also hugely talented (imagine him with Mark Scheifele!) is going to prove to the world how good he is.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:43 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Unfortunately, Ryan Johansen is officially a 20 year old, and thus ineligible to compete at the WJCs.
I could've sworn I saw someplace(thought TSN actually) that had Ryan as a "potential" player in the WJC's. Oh well, guess he'll just have to keep getting better playing first line minutes in Springfield

Quote:
With that in mind, I think Nathan MacKinnon has the skillset to use that tournament to his advantage and separate himself from the pack. I believe he's that good, and makes the guys around him better because of it. Playing alongside players who are also hugely talented (imagine him with Mark Scheifele!) is going to prove to the world how good he is.
That's why I'm SUPER excited for the WJC's this year and why I hope NHL network will show more than just the U.S. games(even if tape delayed, cause I got nothing to do at 2 in the morning anyways) so I can compare Barkov-MacKinnon-Jones-Lindholm-Monahan in an apples to apples tournament as opposed to "this guy is kicking butt vs the frenchies, while this guy is schooling old Swedish men" kind of thing.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Great players always find a way to put magic together, and after starting out with 14 points in 15 games (some would call this disappointing), Hunter Shinkaruk has exploded for a 6 point night (so far) as Medicine Hat currently holds a 10-0 lead over the Calgary Hitmen - in Calgary. Shinkaruk has 1 goal and 5 assists (all primary assists, all on Curtis Valk goals) for the Tigers.

This guy is my dark horse in this year's draft. He's a guy that makes all of his teammates better, can score goals in bunches and is an excellent playmaker. I see a lot of the same qualities in him that I saw in Jordan Eberle when he was the same age. His offensive vision is well above average, and in spite of his smallish stature, this is a guy that can absolutely be a star in the NHL.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:53 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
All of them. The Jackets are superior to all of them. Because they're ours and **** everyone else.

In all seriousness? We won't know until they play. We can't know. There is a reason why they play the games. We thought we were going to be awesome last year and things fell apart. Why be so quick to assume doom?
We're still undefeated!

Old
10-27-2012, 01:33 AM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Great players always find a way to put magic together, and after starting out with 14 points in 15 games (some would call this disappointing), Hunter Shinkaruk has exploded for a 6 point night (so far) as Medicine Hat currently holds a 10-0 lead over the Calgary Hitmen - in Calgary. Shinkaruk has 1 goal and 5 assists (all primary assists, all on Curtis Valk goals) for the Tigers.

This guy is my dark horse in this year's draft. He's a guy that makes all of his teammates better, can score goals in bunches and is an excellent playmaker. I see a lot of the same qualities in him that I saw in Jordan Eberle when he was the same age. His offensive vision is well above average, and in spite of his smallish stature, this is a guy that can absolutely be a star in the NHL.
Hes the best player to take in nhl 13 in the first draft. haha after 3 yrs hes like an 85. Kifs definitely got potential.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
stevo61

I don't know how id feel if we drafted Shinkaruk. MacKinnon is easily my 1st choice and Barkov my 2nd but after that id definitely hope to see Lindholm drafted. He may need to work on putting the puck in the net a bit more but that will come with time and he's as developed or further ahead of most other draft eligible players in every other area. Of course this all depends on where we draft, especially if it is a full season lockout. But thats a whole other debate in itself.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
I don't know how id feel if we drafted Shinkaruk. MacKinnon is easily my 1st choice and Barkov my 2nd but after that id definitely hope to see Lindholm drafted. He may need to work on putting the puck in the net a bit more but that will come with time and he's as developed or further ahead of most other draft eligible players in every other area. Of course this all depends on where we draft, especially if it is a full season lockout. But thats a whole other debate in itself.
My bet is that we end up drafting outside of the top-5. Just a gut instinct honestly, and if that's the case and we wind up with Shinkaruk, I don't think we'll be disappointed.

I know more than a handful of people who would've looked at taking Shinkaruk first or second overall last year, and with good reason. The only reason he isn't in the debate for the top 2 this year is that it's such a deep draft.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:08 PM
EspenK

SL- Isn't Shinkaruk another smurf? How many of these small guys can we have? a Shink-JAM-CAM line would equal Ryan Getzlaff -

Seriously, if it came down to a big center Monahan/Barkov vs Shinkaruk I think I'd have to go with the big C.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:46 PM
alphafox

I just don't understand why we can't spend some assets to get a top 5 pick. This isn't like the Crosby draft where there is a clear far and away #1. Mackinnon, Jones, and Barkov are all arguably in competition for first overall honors, and guys like Monahan, Shinkaruk, and Drouin are all trying to push themselves into the top 5. We have 3 first round picks and enough defensive depth to package an asset (one of moore, savard, Erixon) if we need to. Maybe its just me but I'd rather have a top 5 and a mid level first rounder than 3 mid level first rounders.

There are a number of elite offensive prospects at the top of draft, and we have the opportunity to grab a pair of top 10 maybe even top 5 picks. Would you rather have the 4th and 7th overall picks or have Moore the 4th, 15th and 23rd overall picks?

Old
10-27-2012, 01:16 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
SL- Isn't Shinkaruk another smurf? How many of these small guys can we have? a Shink-JAM-CAM line would equal Ryan Getzlaff -

Seriously, if it came down to a big center Monahan/Barkov vs Shinkaruk I think I'd have to go with the big C.
He's like 5'11, not big but hardly a smurf

Old
10-27-2012, 01:39 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
He's like 5'11, not big but hardly a smurf
I've seen various heights and weights listed for him- 5' 11" not smurf-like but not Getzlaffian either.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:44 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I just don't understand why we can't spend some assets to get a top 5 pick. This isn't like the Crosby draft where there is a clear far and away #1. Mackinnon, Jones, and Barkov are all arguably in competition for first overall honors, and guys like Monahan, Shinkaruk, and Drouin are all trying to push themselves into the top 5. We have 3 first round picks and enough defensive depth to package an asset (one of moore, savard, Erixon) if we need to. Maybe its just me but I'd rather have a top 5 and a mid level first rounder than 3 mid level first rounders.

There are a number of elite offensive prospects at the top of draft, and we have the opportunity to grab a pair of top 10 maybe even top 5 picks. Would you rather have the 4th and 7th overall picks or have Moore the 4th, 15th and 23rd overall picks?
Moore, 4th, 15th, and 23rd.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post

Fair enough, but I think Shinkaruk could be a homerun type pick. We have two other picks that we could use to land one of the (many) big centers in this draft.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Shinkaruk dominated again last night, posting another 2 goals and 4 points, giving him 9 points in his last two games. His 23 points suddenly has him right back in the hunt, tied for 5th overall in the league in scoring.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins went on a tear like this in his draft year, shooting up the scoring ranks - but it was late in the season. If Shinkaruk can continue to play at this high of a level (realistically not 4 and 5 point games, obviously), there's no telling what he's capable of. The top 3 scorers in the league all play on the same line in Kamloops, and one has to wonder if they can keep up their torrid pace all season. They've won 12 in a row and have a whopping 74 goals in 15 games - at some point, they will cool off.

I'm liking Hunter Shinkaruk more and more.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
alphafox

The top of this draft is getting better and better. If there is any chance to get two picks in the top 5/top 10 could put this team in playoff contention within 3 years. Imagine something like:

Shinkaruk-Barkov-Atkinson
Foligno-Johan-Dubinsky
Cavert-Anisimov-Dorsett

Johnson-Murray
Tytuin-Nikitn
Wiz-Savard

Dansk

Old
10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

My question would be, if we get the #2 pick, do we take Jones or a forward? Also, thats not a bad lineup at all Alpha, just for giggles I'm going to do one of my own.

Umby-Johan-Bobby Ryan
Brass-Mackinnon (I hope)-Atkinson
Dorsett-Dubinsky-Anisimov
Calvert-Jenner-JAM

Johnson-Murray
Tyutin-Savard
Nikitin-Wisniewski

Dansk/Forsberg
Bob

Moore, Erixon, whichever 2013 1st ends up higher between NYR and LA for Bobby Ryan.

I don't know why I bothered doing that, probably because I'm bored out of my mind right now. That being said, I don't expect JD to like our current goalie situation and fully expect him to want to go after a proven goalie.

Of this draft class, I really like Mack, Jones, Barkov, Pulock, Drouin, Duclair, Shinkaruk, and Ristolainen. This draft (especially if the lockout goes the whole year) could potentially be a great turning point for us. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Now don't shred my lineup.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Why would we sell off our future for Bobby Ryan? We finally have a good thing going with some youth movement and some stockpiled draft picks ... why do we want to blow it up for one player?

I'll ask: What last place team in the last 10 years made a single trade that immediately made them a Cup contender? Teams are built by the draft now, you draft talent, bring in youth, let them develop, and build from the ground up. This player isn't an overnight fix.

Closed Thread