HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

ESPN - Leino & Myers amongst 10 worst contracts in NHL

Old
10-25-2012, 08:26 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

vCash: 500
ESPN - Leino & Myers amongst 10 worst contracts in NHL

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dol...-dipietro-saga

Quote:
3. Ville Leino, six years, $27 million: The season before he signed his monster deal with the Sabres, Leino scored 19 goals and made $825,000. A season later, he scored eight goals and made $6 million. Sure, he had promise, which was shown in a record 2010 playoffs with the Flyers, but there was little else in Leino’s past performances to indicate he was worth that kind of money and term.

9. Tyler Myers, seven years, $38.5 million: The annual cap hit of Myers’ contract isn’t so bad -- $5.5 million -- but why did the Sabres give him a $10 million signing bonus for the first year? Was it really that hard for him to sign the contract? It makes the first season of his deal -- which is, symbolically, the locked-out 2012-13 season -- worth $12 million, third-highest salary in the league. And we’re pretty sure that unless you live in Cheektowaga, you’ve never heard of Tyler Myers.
I live in Chili/Perinton and have heard of Tyler Myers.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:29 PM

ESPN doesnt dissapoint, I like Myers contract and Leino isnt all that bad, definetly not #3.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
oomps

I disagree with the article. Myers is very popular in Buffalo and loved by all of his fans. I am in Buffalo, followed his career pre-NHL, has scored numerous game winning goals for us. As for Leino, he was def not existant last year, I guess we will see what his future holds.

oomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dol...-dipietro-saga

How is a signing bonus bad for a contract? It's the caphit that matters in the end for Pegula anyway.

I live in Vancouver, Canada...and I know who Myers is.

EDIT: According to the writer's profile... "Also worked at Consumer Reports, Ottawa Sun, Peterborough Examiner, Toronto Sun " That's probably why

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Not a Sabres fan but having Myers on this list is a stretch. I agree the way the contract is structured is weird, but he's a very good player on a good cap hit.

I could see the argument for Leino in the top-ten although 3 seems high.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
I could see the argument for Leino in the top-ten although 3 seems high.
Can't believe Leino is above Komisarek...at least Leino can play in the lineup.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Can't make an argument against Leino, but Myers? Ok.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:46 PM
slip

Ah yes, the inimitable Paul Grant, ESPN hockey writer, who according to Linkedin is:

Currently overseeing coverage of the NHL and tennis on ESPN.com. This involves coordination of content with all platforms of ESPN: TV, radio/audio, magazine, fantasy, etc.
Previously, oversaw the operations of ESPN.com's General Sports, which included but were not limited to: NASCAR, golf, U.S. soccer, tennis, boxing, MMA, horse racing.

Yeah, he knows hockey alright.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
pigpen65

When you factor in that Leino only had one good year his entire life by the time he was 28, and that the Sabres signed him to play a position he didn't even play, the Leino contract is the worst in the league by far. There is no logical explanation for the Leino contract.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:44 PM
tsujimoto74

And this is why ESPN should leave hockey alone and stick to sports that they actually know things about.
Myers' contract isn't even the 2nd worst on the team, let alone anywhere near Leino's or even in the top 50 worst contracts league wide.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

ESPN never disappoints!

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
When you factor in that Leino only had one good year his entire life by the time he was 28, and that the Sabres signed him to play a position he didn't even play, the Leino contract is the worst in the league by far. There is no logical explanation for the Leino contract.
Um, no.

Furthermore, AT THE TIME of the signing, let me repeat this for you so maybe there's a bigger chance it sinks in.... AT THE TIME of the signing, there was sound logic (albeit risky but not illogical) to signing a player who had a good season and a real good playoffs to a longer contract, especially since the Sabres were competing with other clubs trying to get him. In addition to that he was the second most attractive forward behind Brad Richards.

Again, for a third time ... AT THE TIME it wasn't a terrible free agent signing.

In hindsight, so far with 1/6th of his contract played, yes, the Leino signing isn't a very good one. 5/6ths still need to be played for a better educated opinion.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:58 PM
sabresfan129103

Leino is probably where he should be. That contract is awful. I'm assuming they needed the signing bonus to keep the cap hit down on Myers deal. I love the Myers contract.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:07 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Leino defiantly belongs on a list like this, Myers on the other hand defiantly doesn't belong.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

As has been said before, Myers' deal is a great one. He doesn't bother to factor in that Pegula doesn't care about the bonus, or that it allows us to keep the cap hit down, or that it locks up the best young defender we've had in years for most of his prime.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post

Heh, I grew up in Chili.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:10 PM
LGB24

Having Myers on the list is one thing, but saying a recent ROY isn't a well known name around the league is just utter nonsense.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:10 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Having Myers on the list is one thing, but saying a recent ROY isn't a well known name around the league is just utter nonsense.
ESPN probably just forgot to Google him and haven't yet figured out that he's actually pretty darn good at hockey.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:35 AM
VaporTrail
GOODBYE D'arse !!!

vCash: 200
typical ESPN, does not surprise me

EDIT: I just went and looked at all the comments under the article...I love how everyone is ripping ESPN and the writer a new one for putting Myers on the list...

I like the "You know literally nothing about hockey if you think Tyler Myers has one of the worst contracts in the NHL or that nobody outside of Buffalo has heard of the Calder-winning 22-year-old 6' 8" defenceman"

and the
"And we’re pretty sure that unless you live in Cheektowaga, you’ve never heard of Tyler Myers."

Yup nobody has ever heard of the Sabres first line Calder winning defenseman.

Last edited by VaporTrail: 10-26-2012 at 04:51 AM.
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:58 AM
HiddenInLight

Wow......Pretty sure the Myers comment isn't true....Pretty much everyone knows who Myers is. Ask pretty much any hockey fan what player on this team they would aquire in a trade if they could, and I bet the majority answer Tyler Myers. As for the bonus, its very likely that Pegula pretty much said, "Give the kid a bonus I'm a big fan of his". More likely it was there to keep the cap hit down, and either way its a reasonable contract.....won't argue with Leinos though.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:27 AM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Um, no.

Furthermore, AT THE TIME of the signing, let me repeat this for you so maybe there's a bigger chance it sinks in.... AT THE TIME of the signing, there was sound logic (albeit risky but not illogical) to signing a player who had a good season and a real good playoffs to a longer contract, especially since the Sabres were competing with other clubs trying to get him. In addition to that he was the second most attractive forward behind Brad Richards.

Again, for a third time ... AT THE TIME it wasn't a terrible free agent signing.

In hindsight, so far with 1/6th of his contract played, yes, the Leino signing isn't a very good one. 5/6ths still need to be played for a better educated opinion.
AT THE TIME, he did not play center and he was signed to play center. AT THE TIME, he was 28 years old and had only had one productive season. AT THE TIME, the signing was RETARDED. I assume you were also a huge fan of Toronto signing Jeff Finger too? The Sabres basically signed Jeff Finger, but they signed Jeff Finger to play goalie, gave him even more money, and signed him for twice as long.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Clock

Leino, sure.

Myers... the writer agrees the cap hit is good but thinks the money balancing makes the contract awful? I'm sure part of the draw of front-loading with bonuses like that is the time value of money draw. Perhaps he took 100k less a year on that basis, who knows.

As far as no one outside of Cheektowaga knowing who Tyler Myers is... I mean, just go home. You're done.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
AT THE TIME, he did not play center and he was signed to play center.
You're right, but from 2002 - 2007 he played both center and wing for Ilves Tampere and HPK Hameenlinna so he absolutely had a history of playing center before. So AT THE TIME it wasn't an odd or stupid thought that he could do it in Buffalo. And JJ (I think) has proven the signing came first, .... THEN Leino mentioned about playing center AFTER he was already signed. There was a big thread on this months ago, I just can't find the thread right now.

Quote:
AT THE TIME, he was 28 years old and had only had one productive season. AT THE TIME, the signing was RETARDED.
He was plenty productive in a few seasons in Finland, and one in Philly. The second sentence is pure opinion and not grounded in fact. Hindsight emotional retort.

Quote:
I assume you were also a huge fan of Toronto signing Jeff Finger too? The Sabres basically signed Jeff Finger, but they signed Jeff Finger to play goalie, gave him even more money, and signed him for twice as long.
You shouldn't assume.

AT THE TIME, it was a free agent signing of the second most highly sought after forward on the market.

Again, today, yea, the signing looks pretty bad ... So far.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

i'm willing to give leino another season before i write it off as a garbage contract, but it's certainly in the running.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:20 AM
OkimLom

9. Tyler Myers, seven years, $38.5 million: The annual cap hit of Myers’ contract isn’t so bad -- $5.5 million -- but why did the Sabres give him a $10 million signing bonus for the first year? Was it really that hard for him to sign the contract? It makes the first season of his deal -- which is, symbolically, the locked-out 2012-13 season -- worth $12 million, third-highest salary in the league. And we’re pretty sure that unless you WORK OUTSIDE OF ESPN, you’ve never heard of Tyler Myers.

Fixed.

Seriously, why do people (fans and media) keep bringing up bad contracts AFTER they've been signed? Nothing can be done with these contracts, Unless they allow teams to buy out contracts or void them without being penalized.

Just live with the fact your GM made a questionable move and hope they learned from it, and move on.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote