HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Why does Eric Lindros have so much influence w/NHLPA?

Old
10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Iggy77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
If only the players had kept Kelly on board, Bettman would have loved him so much that he would have offered 53 percent and Kelly glady would have taken it, and we'd be talking about how much Brian Burke sucks.
And what do you think Fehr will get ?

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Personally, I think Fehr is going to get the players a great deal.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Nobody here knows a damn thing about what happened. People, years after the fact, are spinning BS stories to fit their own views.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...g-Minutes.aspx

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
Ah Paul Kelly, the forgotten man who might have brought labor peace to the NHL by niciing Gary Bettman to death.

If only the players had kept Kelly on board, Bettman would have loved him so much that he would have offered 53 percent and Kelly glady would have taken it, and we'd be talking about how much Brian Burke sucks.
And that would of occured when, say winter 2009, spring 2010, or even sometime in 2011 instead of June 2012 right?

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Whoa... had to double check and look at the name posting. Thought it may have been Allan Walsh there for a second.

You are aware of the genesis of this? What event(s) led up to this?

Old
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Ah Paul Kelly, the forgotten man who might have brought labor peace to the NHL by niciing Gary Bettman to death.

Pretending that you are nice and caring to get a better deal is smarter than daring Snider and Jacobs to cancel a season and jam 43 percent down their throats in April after the season's gone and the union breaks. Again. Being a hardass only works as a negotiating tactic when there aren't bigger hardasses on the other side of the table who can better withstand the loss of a season than you can.

Ever heard Healy talk about player issues? He's far from dovish. Healy was Kelly's hand-picked right-hand man.

Anyways, a guy named Ian Penny wanted Kelly's job to enhance his own profile, so he, Lindros, Ference and one or two other guys started a smear campaign against him. Kelly heard about this and started trying to verify whether this was true or not. Penny, Lindros (et al) used Kelly's investigation into their malfeasance as an excuse to get him removed by claiming he was a spy, locking the players' reps in a room in the middle of the night and demanding a removal vote before they had time to sort out what was going on.

Half the union officials quit in protest or, barring that, were later fired over this when veterans such as Chelios and, I think Shanahan, correctly pointed out this was the type of cloak and dagger crap Eagleson used to pull before they strung his ass up and sent him to jail.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:30 PM
kingsholygrail
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Not without sacrificing a season.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:53 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Its a shame, because I heard a very good Kelly interview at the beginning of the lockout, and easily came to the conclusion if he was in charge the NHLPA would not have had any issues getting a deal done. They would not have gotten the best absolute deal in terms of what the numbers were, but losing part of your pay as the players will today is money they will never get back as they will never get a deal good enough to recover it. Thats what Kelly understands. The best deal is the last minute deal just before you lose any games. You may get a higher percentage by holding out, but the money you lost due to not playing and the loss of revenue due to bad will can never be recouped in its entirety.
Thanks for the reminder. I agree with the point by Kelly. They really need to set a new paradigm for negotiations in sports CBAs. It will always be a David/Goliath thing with the owners being Goliath's. For some reason many are upset because they think David has to pick up weapons as big as Goliath's to have a chance and David doesn't have the strength. As the story went, David had to change the typical battle paradigm.

We'll never know what Kelly would have done but I don't think it would have been out of the realm of possibility if Kelly's tact would have gotten him more info into the workings of the other side. Open a window into which he might drive a wedge and stick in a clause or two that the players could use to their advantage in the upcoming CBA. I also don't doubt that Kelly would be a much better overseer on audits of HRR. More profitable and less divisive to catch ownership with their hands in the cookie jar and use the proceeds to better the players position. Not as much of problem when you show ownership that one of their own was cheating. Much easier to drive the wedge.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
R U quitting on me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I also don't doubt that Kelly would be a much better overseer on audits of HRR. More profitable and less divisive to catch ownership with their hands in the cookie jar and use the proceeds to better the players position.
No doubt, as PK's man for that job would have been Bob Lindquist

Old
10-25-2012, 09:04 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
So basically this guy got Paul Kelley removed as Executive Director, and Lindros got his guy, Don Fehr put in, why do the players trust Eric Lindros so much? what did Paul Kelley do that was so egregious?
Lindros I believe is now on the outside looking in when it comes to the NHLPA . Lindros was hired as an ombudsman by the NHLPA is helping and dealing with current players. The criticism started early as he was rarely at the head office and he was submitting expense reports that was being questioned and that is when he turned against Kelley. According to a few reports at the time he handed in expense reports of his vacations expecting to have the NHLPA pay for it with out question. He was unable (according to one reports) produce viable evidence that he was on NHLPA business. He was called to the carpet for it and he quit. But, Lindros then decided he did not like the way Kelley was running the NHLPA and he started organizing players against him.

While there is some debate as to just what happened between Lindros and the NHLPA. But I believe a report came out in June saying that while he was still active with the retired played, he is not one of the players in Fehrs inner circle of current or former players.

I know there many Lindros fans on this site and they will not like this response. But there is a reason why Lindros is hated in so many corners and his involvement in the NHLPA after he retired proved how much of a ME guy he was and not a team players

BTW

Even I was saying the NHLPA needed a guy like Fehr because the NHLPA was a joke.

10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
No doubt, as PK's man for that job would have been Bob Lindquist
... ya, former FBI Forensic Accountant, rated one of the best in North America, one of PK's first hires. It was rumoured that he found some discrepancies in the NHLPA's books, questionable expenditures authorised by Penny & Lindros to the tune of a couple of million. Some feel that development was the real impetus for the coup that followed.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Quote:
Meanwhile, in Buffalo, Bucky Gleason writes, "Brace yourself for another bloody cage match between players and owners now that Paul Kelly has been fired. ... The shift in power was just a warning. Danger lies ahead, and there's no telling how much carnage will be left behind." Recent history has shown that the "dysfunctional union is way over its head when it comes to making decisions that require common sense"
****ing prophetic

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:22 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... ya, former FBI Forensic Accountant, rated one of the best in North America, one of PK's first hires. It was rumoured that he found some discrepancies in the NHLPA's books, questionable expenditures authorised by Penny & Lindros to the tune of a couple of million. Some feel that development was the real impetus for the coup that followed.
as stated in my post. When Lindros was called to the carpet for his spending he quit and went on the offensive.
That FBI guy is the guy who is called in to testify against the top white coloured criminals in the USA and I believe when he left he made the comment "I am living to keep my integrity in place". Lindros and CO questioned how he looked at the way they spent the money and most of their expenditures were ruled personal and NHLPA related. There was several vacation Lindros went on with family and friends and the NHLPA paid for it--the accountant wanted evidence that it was NHLPA business and Lindros reportedly did not convince the guy that they were.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Nope, too late. Players are going to lose at least a month worth of pay. They will never get a deal that will be better AFTER you take that in. Fehr is all about himself. Players should know better, but don't.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote