HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 04:27 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

vCash: 500
So we have a future Leetch (Rielly) and a future Niedermayer (Gardiner)... I'm okay with that!

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Finn
Gunnarsson - Percy

Old
10-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Let's just be a bit cautious regarding comparing him to scotty Niedermayer.
Agreed.

He is much more like Leetch

Old
10-25-2012, 04:37 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
So we have a future Leetch (Rielly) and a future Niedermayer (Gardiner)... I'm okay with that!

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Finn
Gunnarsson - Percy

Damn, so Niedermayer ain't even good enough to crack our first pairing!

Old
10-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
this....

gardiner reminds me way more of neidermayer than rielly.
LOL.

Regardless. Gardiner has started to shoot a LOT more in the AHL so I hope it's of signs of things to come.

10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
emackulate

Quote:

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Finn
Gunnarsson - Percy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Damn, so Niedermayer ain't even good enough to crack our first pairing!
at least he's paired with suter

Old
10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
smitty10

Quote:

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Finn
Gunnarsson - Percy

That defense has a lot of offense, but the defense is questionable. Holzer or Granberg on that third pairing would look nice.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:25 PM
zoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emackulate View Post
at least he's paired with suter
lmao, that's awesome. Got to love the optimism of Leaf fans, one of these days we'll be right

Old
10-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Ari91

Love the game highlights. Rielly came out of nowhere for that breakaway. His skating is a thing of beauty. He seems like the kind of candidate that Barb Underhill is going to love because the guy already has an exceptional understanding of how to use his skating to his benefit.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:53 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
I still don't understand why you do that. Extrapolating to 82 games doesn't serve as any kind of reference point when you're talking about junior players.

When I first read it I was like "100+ points as a defenceman? Holy crap!".... then I realized it was over 82 games... and I know that lots of guys could get 100 points if they played 12 more games than they do.

Just confusing and pointless, IMO.
I figure most people are more familiar with the NHL 82gm schedule than the Junior schedule, and what that means in terms of a player's season stats.

People may not know what 0.35gpg means exactly, but they sure know what a 30gl scorer is. They may not know what 1.22ppg means exactly, but they definitely understand what a 100 point scorer is.

It's just easier.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Love the game highlights. Rielly came out of nowhere for that breakaway. His skating is a thing of beauty. He seems like the kind of candidate that Barb Underhill is going to love because the guy already has an exceptional understanding of how to use his skating to his benefit.
I'm sure she's sick and tired of working with NHLers who haven't quite yet grasped that skating can be used for the benefit of skating passed people.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:08 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
I'm sure she's sick and tired of working with NHLers who haven't quite yet grasped that skating can be used for the benefit of skating passed people.
Im sure shes not sick and tired of the amount of money the Leafs are paying her.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:16 PM
bunjay

He's obviously well beyond the WHL at this point, but it's been mentioned here that he can't play in the AHL next year. Is this correct?

Old
10-25-2012, 08:31 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
That defense has a lot of offense, but the defense is questionable. Holzer or Granberg on that third pairing would look nice.
Percy and Gunnar are both Defensive defensemen.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
There is going to be a need for some physical toughness in that mix though. Maybe a Luke Schenn type...only faster.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
They are sound defensemen, technically not defensive defensemen. They have the smarts for more than a defensive one

Old
10-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVisser View Post
That's not what I meant. Many players don't possess near the skating skill that this kid does. To work with him might provide her with a different kind of opportunity that she won't get with the average player. I'm just putting myself in her shoes, if I were a teacher and gained a young student that had an exceptional skill, I would love the opportunity to push the boundaries to see what else I could get out of them.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:25 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Better quality highlights of last nights game for whoever's interested:

http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1351201956

Awesome game by Rielly. Only one point, but he dominated with the puck. And the GWG was a beauty.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
They are sound defensemen, technically not defensive defensemen. They have the smarts for more than a defensive one
I'd argue that Gunnarsson is a defensive defenseman, while Percy is a two-way guy. However, neither of them have the size and strength or defensive ability/potential of either Holzer or Granberg. Either could likely fill the hole that Komisarek couldn't on the second/third pairing. Both guys project as a Nicklas Grossman-type of defenseman and I think having at least one of them will be good for the defense going forward.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
delled

Now I'll be the first to admit that this fan base is in dire need of positive news, and Riley and Gardiner's potential is definitely giving me that fix. Here's what I'm wondering though. Assuming both players live up to our expectations...when or which team in the NHL has had two pedigree Offensive defensemen of such calibre?

I'm inclined to think that it's a rare occurence because it's difficult for a team to afford 2 types of such defencemen. Can you imagine L.A. or Ottawa having two Doughtys or Karlsons? Or would you say Riley is on a different level than Gardiner? Thoughts? My logic would say if both these players were to reach our expectations, one of them would be dealt for a position that we're lacking ie. Centre

Old
10-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by delled View Post
Now I'll be the first to admit that this fan base is in dire need of positive news, and Riley and Gardiner's potential is definitely giving me that fix. Here's what I'm wondering though. Assuming both players live up to our expectations...when or which team in the NHL has had two pedigree Offensive defensemen of such calibre?

I'm inclined to think that it's a rare occurence because it's difficult for a team to afford 2 types of such defencemen. Can you imagine L.A. or Ottawa having two Doughtys or Karlsons? Or would you say Riley is on a different level than Gardiner? Thoughts? My logic would say if both these players were to reach our expectations, one of them would be dealt for a position that we're lacking ie. Centre
That very well could happen. But until we find out which is better and both are playing solidly in the NHL it is likely neither will be moved. So we are looking at probably 2+ years down the road. We do also have Liles and Phaneuf so we really do have too many more offensive oriented guys. Have to wait and see which ones are the keepers.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
That very well could happen. But until we find out which is better and both are playing solidly in the NHL it is likely neither will be moved. So we are looking at probably 2+ years down the road. We do also have Liles and Phaneuf so we really do have too many more offensive oriented guys. Have to wait and see which ones are the keepers.

Assets. Good Assets.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Assets. Good Assets.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by delled View Post
Or would you say Riley is on a different level than Gardiner?
I would say yes. Other then skating, Rielly imo is better at every single thing. Even at skating, I think Rielly has far more agility in terms of overall skating which is elite, as opposed to just speed.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I think Rielly has better hands. Rielly is essentially the Kadri of defenseman in terms of offensive prowess, but is built extremely solid and is a much better skater. As far as hands and offensive skill for dmen though, Rielly is almost off the charts so it seems.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:33 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
I keep saying this, but Rielly has the potential to be Toronto's Kris Letang. I don't see anything more than that (I.e. Karlsson), but I think he has a good chance of being as good as Kris.

Closed Thread