HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other NY Hockey Teams ?

Old
10-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Leetch66

vCash: 500
Other NY Hockey Teams ?

What is the closest hockey team in proximity to MSG excluding college teams or AHL ? Here in Canada we have a few options outside of the college ranks . Most areas have a Tier Two Junior team within an hour or so drive or at least they do in Atlantic Canada if they choose to head out to a rink . It is very entertaining for the most part and our local team actually was captained by Darren Langdon a few years back . Very few guys actually make the NHL from this level...but some have !

If the NHL stays off the ice I suspect attendance levels will increase at some of these arenas . Junior hockey at both the Major Junior and Tier 2 levels always is played on the edge and usually you get your moneys worth game in and game out .

So...you folks that like live hockey...will you get your live fix for hockey somewhere else or will you just wait for the strike to end ???

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

There is one EJHL team in Wayne, New Jersey and one a little north of NYC. There is also ECHL in Trenton, NJ. There are also AJHL games in Newark, NJ.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I hear there's a minor league team moving to Brooklyn in 2015. Hey-o!

10-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Awesome.

There is a MJHA team (Tier II Juniors) in Brooklyn playing in the Aviator Sports Complex, but that's probably the furthest part of Brooklyn you could possibly be from MSG.

10-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He said no AHL teams

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
What is the closest hockey team in proximity to MSG excluding college teams or AHL ? Here in Canada we have a few options outside of the college ranks . Most areas have a Tier Two Junior team within an hour or so drive or at least they do in Atlantic Canada if they choose to head out to a rink . It is very entertaining for the most part and our local team actually was captained by Darren Langdon a few years back . Very few guys actually make the NHL from this level...but some have !

If the NHL stays off the ice I suspect attendance levels will increase at some of these arenas . Junior hockey at both the Major Junior and Tier 2 levels always is played on the edge and usually you get your moneys worth game in and game out .

So...you folks that like live hockey...will you get your live fix for hockey somewhere else or will you just wait for the strike to end ???
I dedicated myself to watch NCAA (Minnesota) college hockey games.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:02 PM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Awesome.

There is a MJHA team (Tier II Juniors) in Brooklyn playing in the Aviator Sports Complex, but that's probably the furthest part of Brooklyn you could possibly be from MSG.
i heard that team moved out?

there's some low level junior stuff on long island, specifically the apple core team. wouldn't really go check it out unless you know someone on the team.

its a BIT of a drive, but my buddy lives up in schenectady and goes to Union, so that's probably the closest good NCAA team to us. about 3 hours from the city

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Federal Hockey League team in Danbury, CT too. 60 miles from MSG.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post

I know you ruled it out, but the easiest place for me to get to is Bridgeport CT, which is a little over an hour away by commuter train from midtown Manhattan (I don't own a car). Doesn't hurt that my sister lives there either. But, the team there is the Isles' AHL team.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Too bad the Long Island Ducks are dead and gone.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
i heard that team moved out?

there's some low level junior stuff on long island, specifically the apple core team. wouldn't really go check it out unless you know someone on the team.

its a BIT of a drive, but my buddy lives up in schenectady and goes to Union, so that's probably the closest good NCAA team to us. about 3 hours from the city
The team that moved was the Brooklyn Aviators who play in the Federal Hockey League. They also played in Aviator.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:15 AM
jhnyr

It's sad that NYC is the biggest city in the world, the biggest spotlight, etc... and we have no options for developmental hockey.

Tons of kids are playing it in the suburbs (Jersey, LI, Westchester, etc)... but we have nothing other than the NHL. Which means nothing right now while the lockout is on.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnyr View Post
It's sad that NYC is the biggest city in the world, the biggest spotlight, etc... and we have no options for developmental hockey.

Tons of kids are playing it in the suburbs (Jersey, LI, Westchester, etc)... but we have nothing other than the NHL. Which means nothing right now while the lockout is on.
I don't think people would care for developmental hockey in NYC. Most people don't care about the Rangers, when you consider how large the population is.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Hockey is bigger in the suburbs than it is in the city. That said, even out here it's not the biggest thing. I know Danbury, CT has an FHL team. However, no ECHL or anything like that in southeast, NY. I think Elmira and Trenton are the closest.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnyr View Post

That was what I really was curious about ? You would think a city the size of NY could support a high level Junior team that could play in the Ontario or Quebec Major junior league . I know there used to be some US based teams in those leagues . I think one of them folded last season and the players were dispersed via a draft in the Quebec league . Some of you rich guys should go after a Canadian Junior franchise . I think that would be a good investment for some retired rich Rangers alumni !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:40 PM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
WOOOOOW there used to be a rockin rollers that played at hot skate on long island, i think my brother might have played for them at some point?

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
WOOOOOW there used to be a rockin rollers that played at hot skate on long island, i think my brother might have played for them at some point?
I remember going there when I was younger. I ****ing loved that place.