Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
I too would like to hear a bit about Holland. And thanks again for this great coverage of the team.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

vCash: 500
I`m on a vocation right now. Looks like ducklings did very well this past week, as much as highlights and stats suggest. Also Vatanen starts to put up numbers. How is he defensively? I saw in one highlight a great bodycheck from him, that resulted to a goal.

Impressed about Wagner. 4p in as a rookie.

How is Lindholm, Holland?
Etem seems to struggle, what is the cause?

Old
10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Carelton CA

I would say the goalies are a bit of a question mark at this point. Both have played well in spurts but both have allowed some flukey goals. At this point Andersen is above Bobkov.

Defense have been good Guenin is leading the league with a plus 7. Lindholm has played well for his age for sure. He is going to be a strong defensive D man in the NHL for many years. Sami offensively is very gifted and is at an elite NHL level with regards to offense. IMO the jury is still out a bit on how his Defensive game will hold up at the NHL level.

Holland is playing his role and getting his points. The line of Maroon-Holland-Palmieri are strong on the PP with Palmieri playing the point with Sami. It seems like the the 2nd and 3rd line combos are still working themselves out. Elkins and Lasch play well together and have had Mitchell and Etem as the other wing each of the last 2 weekends I think.

Wagner is playing with Bodie and Rosehill on the 4th line. They've played a big role and all 3 have scored in the first 4 games. Wagner and Bodie each had short handed goals and each assisted on the others last weekend. Looks like he has skill to his game, wondering if the org just sees him as a 4th line guy or if they'll give him some offensive opportunities down the line.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

I did a great interview with holland and will post tonight. Vatanen interview will have to wait as he is still struggling with his english and answers are very one-liners and very short.

In other exciting news the Admrials will be making an official announcement by end of day as they will be signing an additional player. I can't say anything further until the announcement is made.

The only hint will be is he will be wearing #3

Want the most recent Admirals News?
Norfolk Admirals Fans United
http://www.admiralsfansunited.com
http://www.facebook.com/admiralsfansunited
Old
10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiXeriZe View Post
I'd like to hear from Sami, is it easier to play without such a superstar status that he had in Finland.

ps. is there any chance he'd start tweeting/facebook? I'm sure there's many who'd love to hear more things and thoughts from this guy. And I know he's not into this kind of stuff but still..

Jay, my first post
I think tweeting is def a possibility in the future. Many of his Admirals team mates are already on twitter. I'm going to give him a little time to adjust and once he's more comfortable i'm going to do an in-depth interview with him. Right now his understands english very well but his responses are very short and not very quote worthy at the moment.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
So what do people think about defenseman Ryan Parent He would be a great pick up for the Ducks formar 1st round pick
you can read minds?

Old
10-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Ducks

Seems like a good pick up! I don't know a whole lot about him, but the name is familiar.

http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/relea...y1.php?id=2678

Old
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Paul4587

Whose spot is he taking on the blueline? Or is this signing assuming the NHL will be back soon? He was awful in the NHL, he is an ok AHL pickup I suppose.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Whose spot is he taking on the blueline? Or is this signing assuming the NHL will be back soon? He was awful in the NHL, he is an ok AHL pickup I suppose.
Isn't Smaby out for some time?

Old
10-24-2012, 04:59 PM
randyc

Smaby

It's Smaby's spot. Word is he suffered a high ankle sprain. Those take time to heal.

Old
10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Admiral Al

What about Guenzel? I though he played ok Saturday, Cant see them giving up on him after just one game, besides he is still on the roster, Why not send him down if he isnt going to play, at least he would get to play in Ft Wayne like Britton, Kennedy and Schous. Just a thought.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Bbird80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJohnson View Post
I think tweeting is def a possibility in the future. Many of his Admirals team mates are already on twitter. I'm going to give him a little time to adjust and once he's more comfortable i'm going to do an in-depth interview with him. Right now his understands english very well but his responses are very short and not very quote worthy at the moment.
I'd be happy to make an interview with Sami in Finnish, asking the questions you hoped for translating them back in English. Or just ask in English and let Sami answer in Finnish and I'll translate Ok, any Finn on the board could do that. Thanks Brad anyway for the reports, wonderful job.

Sami is a lot more talkative in Finnish if I remember his Finnish interviews right.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird80 View Post
I'd be happy to make an interview with Sami in Finnish, asking the questions you hoped for translating them back in English. Or just ask in English and let Sami answer in Finnish and I'll translate Ok, any Finn on the board could do that. Thanks Brad anyway for the reports, wonderful job.

Sami is a lot more talkative in Finnish if I remember his Finnish interviews right.

This would be awesome!! He's much more comfortable with speaking finnish!

Old
10-25-2012, 11:50 PM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Peter Holland – Admirals Centre continues to build a winning reputation

By: Brad Johnson

Peter Holland is a 6-foot-3, 200 pound, 21 year old centre who currently plays for the Norfolk Admirals of the American Hockey League. Holland was drafted by the Anaheim Ducks during the 2009 NHL Entry Draft held at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec. He was selected in the 1st round with the 15th overall selection. Currently under a three-year, entry-level contract signed on April 4, 2010.

Holland or “Petey” as referred to by many of his teammates has already had his share of incredible hockey highlights during his young career. On November 05, 2011 he made his NHL Debut at Joe Louis Arena against the Detroit Red Wings. He would finish the game with 15 shifts for a total 11:06 in ice time. It was just a week later in a matchup against the Vancouver Canucks that he recorded his first NHL point, a game-winning goal against Roberto Luongo.

When asked about making his NHL debut and scoring the goal he answered with “I mean that’s a dream come true obviously to play your first game in the NHL is a huge milestone. It was in Detroit so it’s not too far from Toronto so I had a lot of family and friends that were able to come to the game, so it was nice that it worked out that way. To score your first NHL goal I couldn’t stop smiling for a couple days and to do it against a great goalie like Roberto Luongo, my buddies back home thought that was awesome. It was really exciting so it’s something to work towards to get back there.”

Peter has a history of winning at a very young age, when he was a youth his minor Pee Wee team won the Quebec Pee Wee tournament in front of 11,000 fans. In addition, he won a gold medal for Ontario at the World under-17 Hockey Challenge.

It seems “Petey” is off to a great start trying to work his way back to the NHL. In the opening four games this season for the Admirals he has registered 2 goals and 3 assists good enough for 5 points. He scored his first goal in an Admirals sweater during the opening period of the home opener. Holland made a beautiful defensive play as he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and quickly skated alone across the blue line and from the left side snapped a wrist shot into the net blocker side. The goal would give the Admirals a 2-0 lead as they went on to win the game by a 4-2 score.

When asked who he idolized growing up, he quickly responded “I was a big Joe Sakic fan when I was growing up and obviously he’s not playing anymore he’s retired and guy like Rick Nash a big guy like that I look up to and just try to model my game a little after those guys and play my game.”

When asked to discuss what he feels would be needed to lockdown a centre position with. Anaheim he replied with, “Be more consistent, the word I’ve been trying to give myself is just be more assertive, do things hard all the time and you know I think if I do that my skill will come though and you know like you said hopefully I’ll have a full-time someday.”

During the 2010-2011 season Holland would make his AHL debut on April 7, 2011 just two days after finishing his OHL season, ironically, a game in which he played against the Norfolk Admirals as a member of the Syracuse Crunch. At just 20 years old and playing in his first professional game, he recorded an assist before scoring the game-winner in the third period as the Crunch went on to defeat the Admirals 5-3. There was another 20 year-old rookie making his AHL debut along side Holland, none other than current Admirals goaltender Igor Bobkov. How is this possible you ask? It’s simple really, the Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks changed AHL affiliations during the offseason, therefore, members of the Syracuse Crunch last season are now calling Norfolk, VA home and members of the 2012 Calder Cup Champion Norfolk Admirals are calling Syracuse, NY home.

If this young man continues to play the game as he has it will be just a matter of time before he cracks the lineup in Anaheim. Prior to this season, Holland appeared in 74 career AHL games, tallying 66 points (26g, 40a). His four NHL appearances occurred last season during his November call-up. In juniors, from 2007-2011, Holland amassed 103g, and 155a, for an impressive 258 career points for the Guelph Storm of the OHL.

I expect should the lockout end tomorrow Holland could quite possibly receive the call. Norfolk fans have a rich history of winning and incredible expectations dating back to the era of legendary coach John Brophy. With a top-line centre such as Peter Holland it’s quite evident that the 2012-2013 Norfolk Admirals should be taken seriously and will absolutely be a contender to “repeat” as Calder Cup Champions.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:01 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Peter Holland – Admirals Centre continues to build a winning reputation

By: Brad Johnson

Peter Holland is a 6-foot-3, 200 pound, 21 year old centre who currently plays for the Norfolk Admirals of the American Hockey League. Holland was drafted by the Anaheim Ducks during the 2009 NHL Entry Draft held at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec. He was selected in the 1st round with the 15th overall selection. Currently under a three-year, entry-level contract signed on April 4, 2010.

Holland or “Petey” as referred to by many of his teammates has already had his share of incredible hockey highlights during his young career. On November 05, 2011 he made his NHL Debut at Joe Louis Arena against the Detroit Red Wings. He would finish the game with 15 shifts for a total 11:06 in ice time. It was just a week later in a matchup against the Vancouver Canucks that he recorded his first NHL point, a game-winning goal against Roberto Luongo.

When asked about making his NHL debut and scoring the goal he answered with “I mean that’s a dream come true obviously to play your first game in the NHL is a huge milestone. It was in Detroit so it’s not too far from Toronto so I had a lot of family and friends that were able to come to the game, so it was nice that it worked out that way. To score your first NHL goal I couldn’t stop smiling for a couple days and to do it against a great goalie like Roberto Luongo, my buddies back home thought that was awesome. It was really exciting so it’s something to work towards to get back there.”

Peter has a history of winning at a very young age, when he was a youth his minor Pee Wee team won the Quebec Pee Wee tournament in front of 11,000 fans. In addition, he won a gold medal for Ontario at the World under-17 Hockey Challenge.

It seems “Petey” is off to a great start trying to work his way back to the NHL. In the opening four games this season for the Admirals he has registered 2 goals and 3 assists good enough for 5 points. He scored his first goal in an Admirals sweater during the opening period of the home opener. Holland made a beautiful defensive play as he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and quickly skated alone across the blue line and from the left side snapped a wrist shot into the net blocker side. The goal would give the Admirals a 2-0 lead as they went on to win the game by a 4-2 score.

When asked who he idolized growing up, he quickly responded “I was a big Joe Sakic fan when I was growing up and obviously he’s not playing anymore he’s retired and guy like Rick Nash a big guy like that I look up to and just try to model my game a little after those guys and play my game.”

When asked to discuss what he feels would be needed to lockdown a centre position with. Anaheim he replied with, “Be more consistent, the word I’ve been trying to give myself is just be more assertive, do things hard all the time and you know I think if I do that my skill will come though and you know like you said hopefully I’ll have a full-time someday.”

During the 2010-2011 season Holland would make his AHL debut on April 7, 2011 just two days after finishing his OHL season, ironically, a game in which he played against the Norfolk Admirals as a member of the Syracuse Crunch. At just 20 years old and playing in his first professional game, he recorded an assist before scoring the game-winner in the third period as the Crunch went on to defeat the Admirals 5-3. There was another 20 year-old rookie making his AHL debut along side Holland, none other than current Admirals goaltender Igor Bobkov. How is this possible you ask? It’s simple really, the Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks changed AHL affiliations during the offseason, therefore, members of the Syracuse Crunch last season are now calling Norfolk, VA home and members of the 2012 Calder Cup Champion Norfolk Admirals are calling Syracuse, NY home.

If this young man continues to play the game as he has it will be just a matter of time before he cracks the lineup in Anaheim. Prior to this season, Holland appeared in 74 career AHL games, tallying 66 points (26g, 40a). His four NHL appearances occurred last season during his November call-up. In juniors, from 2007-2011, Holland amassed 103g, and 155a, for an impressive 258 career points for the Guelph Storm of the OHL.

I expect should the lockout end tomorrow Holland could quite possibly receive the call. Norfolk fans have a rich history of winning and incredible expectations dating back to the era of legendary coach John Brophy. With a top-line centre such as Peter Holland it’s quite evident that the 2012-2013 Norfolk Admirals should be taken seriously and will absolutely be a contender to “repeat” as Calder Cup Champions.
This is absolutely beautifully done. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this.

Great read on Holland. I'm one of his bigger fans around here. Think he can be that 2C that we need.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Great read, thanks a lot. The skill is there for Holland, just needs to improve on his consistency. I think that may have been why we didn't see him in Anaheim a whole lot last year. But it could've been because of Bonino's emergence.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:15 AM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
This is absolutely beautifully done. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this.

Great read on Holland. I'm one of his bigger fans around here. Think he can be that 2C that we need.

I agree he has the skill there and he has no problem finishing. He is his biggest critic for sure and he knows what it's going to take to make the jump. I should have the audio from the interview posted in the next day. Just having a slight hickup transfering from my iphone to the computer.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:45 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Cool piece.

A little late for the interview, but I was thinking of something about Holland. Does he consider himself more of a playmaker or scorer?

Because his junior stats show a balanced guy, but a little more of a playmaker. From camp and stats this year, it seems like he is trying to be more of a goalscorer. Is that a focus this year?

Related to that, what kind of players does he typically mesh well with? Physical, not physical? Transition/boardwork? Passing/shooting?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:42 AM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Great read, thanks a lot. The skill is there for Holland, just needs to improve on his consistency. I think that may have been why we didn't see him in Anaheim a whole lot last year. But it could've been because of Bonino's emergence.

I actually asked him what he feels will be his role this season and his response "being a two-way center consistently solid on the defensive side and contributing offensively when the opportunity rises "

Old
10-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
I actually asked him what he feels will be his role this season and his response "being a two-way center consistently solid on the defensive side and contributing offensively when the opportunity rises "
Was that referring to his role in Norfolk or if he wins a spot in Anaheim? I Norfolk he pretty much should be the go to guy down the middle as far as offense is concerned.

Thanks for the article btw, it was a great read.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
peety16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
Seems like a good pick up! I don't know a whole lot about him, but the name is familiar.

http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/relea...y1.php?id=2678
He's a good buddy of mine, really good character, super great guy. I know he wants it too so you guys are getting a pretty determined kid

Old
10-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Admiral Al

Hope the Admirals can salvage a split this weekend might be a tough task. StJohns loolk really good last night

Old
10-28-2012, 05:08 PM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
Hope the Admirals can salvage a split this weekend might be a tough task. StJohns loolk really good last night
Great rebound of a game today. The streak was bound to end sooner or later. Played solid today and our PK really came through tonight for sure.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:19 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Admirals have the best win percentage in the AHL right now. Just thought I'd share. Great start.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Bbird80

Quote:
This would be awesome!! He's much more comfortable with speaking finnish!
Check your PMs (not PMS) if you're going to go forward with this.

Closed Thread