HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

It's Not About Winning Or Losing. It's About Who Gets The Blame (CBA/Lockout) XVI

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 11:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...-espn-magazine

Commentary: NHL fans played for fools

Old
10-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Chiuozu*

No doubt the players will 'lose' this. I say lose, but they'll still make boatloads of money, and more than they thought like they have with this last CBA.

But it won't be this season. It won't be this year.

We'll continue this 'he said, she said' nonsense for another while, but the moment the Winter Classic gets with cancellation distance, the League will stop playing hard-ball and will start playing "**** You" Ball. Once we pass that date (and we will with Fehr at the helm he and none of the leading players want to be dictated to) the League will cancel the season along with the Winter Classic.

Make no mistake we are going to lose an entire season to this. I've said this the moment Donal Fehr was hired. The players are intent on playing a game of chicken with the owners, and as always happens in these cases, they will lose.

Once this CBA gets taken care of next year, we fans will probably have another Lockout to look forward to when that one ends.

Crosby will end up in the Swiss league.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:50 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...01&feedID=2798

From Thursday: comments from Sharks players Boyle, Marleau, etc.

Headline: Both sides holding up CBA progress

Old
10-25-2012, 11:54 PM
LukeD
On Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Interesting as well. In lindens last game in the nhl after the canucks lost 7-1 to the flames, iginla brought the entire flames team back on to the ice to shake Trevor's hand. After the game he complimented linden on his honest career but also what he did off the ice for the pa and help end the last lockout. I hope there are more like him and less like Ron Rainsey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rWVyc2UUDk&sns=em
Yeah I remember that game, very cool moment.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
"Resignation & selfishness, the fans & owners deserving one another"... rich coming from ESPN of all sources.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:21 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Some of see the owners as playing a script. The point that gets lost is why they're doing it.
That is a point that gets lost by you Fugu. We have heard several reasons why they think they should be doing it. Even if we disagree with some of them your pro player is really coming out there. Don't act like this isn't a part of Fehr's gameplan as well.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
That is a point that gets lost by you Fugu. We have heard several reasons why they think they should be doing it. Even if we disagree with some of them your pro player is really coming out there. Don't act like this isn't a part of Fehr's gameplan as well.
I keep waiting for the third/fourth line players to be brought forward by the NHLPA to discuss their concerns...We have all heard from the elite who believe that the league is "asking for their money and hurting them". I would appreciate a comment from one member of the NHLPA that isn't sitting on a multi-million, long term contract speaking about the lockout.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:48 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408143

Siegel: CBA stalemate - Feels like a shakedown for the players

Old
10-26-2012, 12:50 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:

ESPN will say anything to sabotage the NHL, they've made their anti-NHL bias apparent for the past decade

Old
10-26-2012, 12:52 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I keep waiting for the third/fourth line players to be brought forward by the NHLPA to discuss their concerns...We have all heard from the elite who believe that the league is "asking for their money and hurting them". I would appreciate a comment from one member of the NHLPA that isn't sitting on a multi-million, long term contract speaking about the lockout.
If they wanted to do that they could send out Parros, probably the smartest guy in the league and in on all these negotiations.

Would love for the people who see him as a goon and don't know the guy has a Princeton Economics degree be stunned when he talks the CBA straight over our heads.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:54 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I enjoyed this image:

Old
10-26-2012, 12:54 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHockeyGameBrokeOut View Post
ESPN will say anything to sabotage the NHL, they've made their anti-NHL bias apparent for the past decade
They ran an article today where they said people didn't know who Myers was... Yup on a hockey page, written by one of their hockey writers. Yeah I am sure none of the hockey fans know who a recent Calder winner is.

By the way Buffalo fans they also called his contract one of the ten worst in the league....

The coverage their is embarrassing and people think them covering hockey would be good for the league. Yikes!

Old
10-26-2012, 12:55 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
I said I believe the players are united, but, in time, they will blink first because of short careers and risk of millions lost.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:59 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:

Can you see it from the other side?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:01 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I enjoyed this image:

So did the 10000 Derek Roy fans who just burned their jerseys.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:02 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
They ran an article today where they said people didn't know who Myers was... Yup on a hockey page, written by one of their hockey writers. Yeah I am sure none of the hockey fans know who a recent Calder winner is.

By the way Buffalo fans they also called his contract one of the ten worst in the league....

The coverage their is embarrassing and people think them covering hockey would be good for the league. Yikes!
The most egregious thing they've done was not putting the MVP winner, Evgeni Malkin, on the ballot for Male Athlete of the Year for the ESPYs. That's when I knew ESPN was a joke

Old
10-26-2012, 01:03 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Can you see it from the other side?
I honestly can. The players have legitimate gripes, I am not very happy with either side. In all honesty I am a little annoyed the players ideas for substantial revenue sharing stalled in a big way. I thought that was a big chip and they played it well and certainly even while being a 50/50 more to the owners side guy I had hopes that would be a bigger deal and gain its way into this CBA in a bigger way than owners want. I also very much understand their wanting to see contracts paid to the best possible extent. I think the made whole scheme answers that I realize you don't, but it did enough for me.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:08 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
The most egregious thing they've done was not putting the MVP winner, Evgeni Malkin, on the ballot for Male Athlete of the Year for the ESPYs. That's when I knew ESPN was a joke
I didn't really think so. That is a hard award to be up for and like it or not his team did get dusted when it really mattered.

Verlander accomplished the rare Cy young/MVP feat
Djokovic barely lost all year
Lebron was MVP and won the championship
Rodgers had one of the greatest if not the greatest season ever by QB

Rodger's team did falter but his regular season was even better than Malkin's especially in a historical context. Sorry he honestly did not belong over any of those guys. That wasn't just anti-hockey at play in my opinion.

Yes I realize back on topic...

Still angry about the lockout and it looks like it will be a year long thing at this point.

Link top points seasons of all-time:http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...season=alltime

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 10-26-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Link defending Malkin comment
Old
10-26-2012, 01:13 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
I honestly can. The players have legitimate gripes, I am not very happy with either side. In all honesty I am a little annoyed the players ideas for substantial revenue sharing stalled in a big way. I thought that was a big chip and they played it well and certainly even while being a 50/50 more to the owners side guy I had hopes that would be a bigger deal and gain its way into this CBA in a bigger way than owners want. I also very much understand their wanting to see contracts paid to the best possible extent. I think the made whole scheme answers that I realize you don't, but it did enough for me.

That's fair. I never liked the cap/linkage system since it attacks costs at a global level and not revenue disparity, which has probably increased in the meantime.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Just read up on the little twitter battle between Dreger and Walsh. Have to say Dreger didn't really do much, it was Walsh talking the most smack and trying to call him out. It's unfortunate for the players I guess when the media isn't telling the world how the greedy horrible owners are ruining the lives of the players.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:18 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
That's fair. I never liked the cap/linkage system since it attacks costs at a global level and not revenue disparity, which has probably increased in the meantime.
It is not that I don't understand you or Captain Bob's position it is just that I disagree. I know I don't understand exactly what are thinking at all times or anything but I follow it close enough to respect it and just disagree. Clearly there are parts of what is going on that are beyond me in this CBA, really that is true of all of us, we aren't in the room for these. Just frustrated with both sides. But I was always in the this should get to 50/50 argument. I have been with the other lockouts recently in the other NA sports. Even while talented they are employees at the end of the day that means a little more to me than to you. I think certain things are well within the Owners bargaining power. I also thought their first offer was a joke and boarderline offensive, but they have come off that.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:43 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
So did the 10000 Derek Roy fans who just burned their jerseys.
Well good for him for having the ability to afford a smoking car like that but I question the timing of such a tweet. This is just more evidence that players are spoiled little children only interested in money and toys. Nice car though.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Chiuozu*

The more you get into it, the more you realise this isn't just NHLPA vs NHL, or Donald Fehr vs Gary Bettman.

This is the guy who 'beat' the MLB owners against the guys behind the NBA, NFL and now the NHL lockouts; "Proskauer Rose Law Firm".

This is going to be an ugly, ugly battle.

Very unfortunate for us the battleground is the NHL and not one of those other leagues. I personally couldn't careless about the NFL or NBA. Doesn't resonate with me, nor are they the type of leagues I'd be interested in watching.

I've been adamant about losing this season, but I'm not sure how long this lockout could realistically go. If the players don't break.. It could go on for quite some time.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:51 AM
rockinghorse

Quote:

Quote:
While NFL players and management were on their most recent collision course, the networks agreed to TV contracts that would have paid the league even in the event of a lockout. That would have allowed the NFL to create a war chest, giving it little incentive to negotiate. (A judge ultimately denied the NFL access to those funds, a major victory for the players union.
Found it interesting that the TV contract deal was the same in that it was to be paid even in the event of a lockout.

With a judge denying the access to the funds. I guess that would set a precedent for the NHL situation.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:09 AM
rockinghorse

The longer this goes on the more questions I have. It's been quite a self education.

If an NHL ownership group has year round management rights to running the facility how do they determine the amount to charge their NHL team for their use of the facility?

Is it anything they want, maybe higher as management would approve it? Or would it be the same as any other user group that came in and booked the facility for an event?

i'm trusting that it would be the same as for any other user. If it is higher than a non hockey user does the difference charged then become HRR?

Last edited by rockinghorse: 10-26-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Closed Thread