HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

MSG seals deal to broadcast select KHL games

Old
10-26-2012, 03:13 AM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
ESPN2 is in more homes than MSG and ESPN2 only managed a 0.1 showing a KHL game. They won't get big viewers in the US, Time delay plus pretty boring hockey isn't really what the american audience would go for
Does ESPN2 also own an NHL franchise?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Does ESPN2 also own an NHL franchise?
What does owning a franchise have to do with anything?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:30 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
What does owning a franchise have to do with anything?

MSG is owned by Dolan, who also owns the NY Rangers. It would be like Snider deciding to put KHL games on Comcast.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Chiuozu*

Pretty crazy how the highest revenue generating teams in Canada and the USA have absolutely no voice in that owners room.

AEG, Jacobs and Snider are probably the power players in there.

Chiuozu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:25 AM
DL44

vCash: 139
I'm just impressed the K beat a NASCAR production and drag racing...

Suck it to the people who say NASCAR is bigger than Hockey throughtout the
US. Might not have the same results in indy or s. carolina... but still.. WIN.

i mean.. the K!? a russian league?

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Definitely can't wait to see Kovy playing

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Mwd711

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
I'm just impressed the K beat a NASCAR production and drag racing...

Suck it to the people who say NASCAR is bigger than Hockey throughtout the
US. Might not have the same results in indy or s. carolina... but still.. WIN.

i mean.. the K!? a russian league?
That wasn't a NASCAR race. It was a studio show that aired on a weekday afternoon. Actual NASCAR races average around a 3.0 on ESPN.

The one hour drag racing you're referring to is the Lucas Oil Series. Its the minor leagues of the NHRA. The AM drag races airings are repeats of an NHRA race from the past Sunday.

I don't think beating NHRA repeats that ran overnight is very impressive.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
cutchemist42

Wow, why can't people just watch hockey? The KHL teams only agreed to add 3 lockedout players per team and I don't think every team even exercised that right.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:05 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yep. I think it's pretty clear that he wants the season to start already. The only thing this lockout does for MSG is that it hurts them. They are getting absolutely nothing out of it, except a massive loss in ticket and advertising revenues.

I feel that if I watch the KHL, I'm supporting the players. I am against NHL players *****ing about their current situation, and then they just go to another league and take other players' jobs. It's not right.
You might have a bit more standing with that opinion if they players had gone on strike. Their employers locked them out, and they're not supposed to work?

BowieSabresFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
You might have a bit more standing with that opinion if they players had gone on strike. Their employers locked them out, and they're not supposed to work?
They would have striked if the league didn't lock them out first. So what's the difference?

All the major leagues learned their lesson when the MLB agreed to continue playing under the old CBA, and then the MLBPA (under Fehr) went on strike right before the World Series.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
They would have striked if the league didn't lock them out first. So what's the difference?

All the major leagues learned their lesson when the MLB agreed to continue playing under the old CBA, and then the MLBPA (under Fehr) went on strike right before the World Series.
About 7-8 months of extra negotiation time.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:23 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post

The players might, or might not have struck. We'll never know. What is fact, is that the owners locked the players out. It's a bit unfair to say the players where were locked out also can't go find jobs elsewhere.

BowieSabresFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I bet the MLB thought they had 7-8 months of extra negotiation time in 1994.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I find the hockey is more interesting than the NHL if you get the right teams playing. Some teams like Lev and Minsk play boring defensive games, despite being thebig names being there. A team with less than 5 mill. payroll (leagues smallest) Metallurg Novokuznetsk is a run and gun team and sits 2nd in league goals for! Teams like this, SKA, Magnitka will bring the fans because your going to see at least 3 or 4 highlight real plays in these type of games.. Today KHL would have been better off showing Magnitka - Spartak, some great plays there today.

I think the KHL just wants to show games where the biggest arenas are the most full with some of the NHL names, but I watch a tonne of KHL and can tell you that these are not where the interesting games are.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
I bet the MLB thought they had 7-8 months of extra negotiation time in 1994.
The point is that the lesson was learned by the owners. The difference then is from Aug/Sep to March.

If people really were working towards a solution that was fair to both sides, that's plenty of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I find the hockey is more interesting than the NHL if you get the right teams playing. Some teams like Lev and Minsk play boring defensive games, despite being thebig names being there. A team with less than 5 mill. payroll (leagues smallest) Metallurg Novokuznetsk is a run and gun team and sits 2nd in league goals for! Teams like this, SKA, Magnitka will bring the fans because your going to see at least 3 or 4 highlight real plays in these type of games.. Today KHL would have been better off showing Magnitka - Spartak, some great plays there today.

I think the KHL just wants to show games where the biggest arenas are the most full with some of the NHL names, but I watch a tonne of KHL and can tell you that these are not where the interesting games are.
Sounds like you enjoy high scoring, 1980's NHL-style hockey? (Probably without the enforcers and bench brawls.)

Old
10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Krishna

Quote:
The point is that the lesson was learned by the owners. The difference then is from Aug/Sep to March.

If people really were working towards a solution that was fair to both sides, that's plenty of time.
Once the season started without a signed CBA, the players had all of the leverage. Especially as the season dragged on.

I think a better idea that should be included in the next CBA is to end the CBA maybe 4-6 months before the season actually starts like the way the other sports do it. Having it end 2 weeks before training camp is going to just keep causing issues

Old
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

MSG Network expanding agreement with KHL with 7 more scheduled games...

http://www.msg.com/khl-on-msg.html

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Rocket

Quote:
ESPN2 is in more homes than MSG and ESPN2 only managed a 0.1 showing a KHL game. They won't get big viewers in the US, Time delay plus pretty boring hockey isn't really what the american audience would go for
True but the networks are probably getting these games for peanuts. They don't have much to lose. In time the numbers will probably go up (if they get more games) if the fans really start to miss hockey.

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Confucius

Quote:
It wouldn't have mattered, even with deadlines and games cancelled it doesn't matter, yet. With either side not losing anything last season there is no way they would have made any progress. Why would they have?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote