HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
spitz fan 4ever

vCash: 500
late 1st period..2-1 spits, goals by maletta and ho-sang

Old
10-25-2012, 08:45 PM
KnightsInsider93

Both Bateman and Devlin healthy scratches tonight in Sarnia. Something is going down.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Jakey43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
Both Bateman and Devlin healthy scratches tonight in Sarnia. Something is going down.
You never know. Coaching staff may be trying to instill confidence?

Last edited by Jakey43: 10-25-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Don't know if you no this but they've both been healthy scratches a couple times this year, Bowen played good last game in Erie and gets rewarded with another game.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
RayzorIsDull

Bad performance, not enough goals once again. I said this next stretch of 7 games will tell us everything we need to know next up is Guelph.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:44 PM
OHLTG

Great first period, but a collapse in the second, followed by a lackadaisical power-play and this is the result. It wasn't from a lack of talent, or even effort, but a combination of several little things. It's difficult to explain this team.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:08 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Great first period, but a collapse in the second, followed by a lackadaisical power-play and this is the result. It wasn't from a lack of talent, or even effort, but a combination of several little things. It's difficult to explain this team.
I would agree for the most part,should have left the 1st with a 2 goal lead or more,banged one off the post as well,2nd period 3 straight penalties and the game winner on a penalty shot,bad call on Schoenmakers put Sarnia back in at 2-2,another penalty and then the penalty shot for Galchenyuk of all people,and its all downhill,agree about the 3rd bad pp,lathargic for both teams
It was not about a lack of talent and effort last nite but more of execution of the systems taught
In games like these the best players have to score and they did not
Tonite against a roster depleted Guelph,they are only dressing 10 forwards with Garlent,Waitling and Horvat injured,though Garlent is the only top 6 forward in that group,Windsor needs to jump all over them right from the start,like they did against Sarnia
Take advantage of their defence which is not their strong pt
I would put Devlin and Bateman back in,remove Bowen and McNaughton from the lineup for tonites game
Spits now 2-2 in last 4 ,having played the last 3 on the road

Old
10-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Ottomatic

Bateman should ask for a trade. Enough's enough. It's time to move on and get a fresh start.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:48 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Who was the most talented player on the ice last night? There's no doubt it was Galchenyuk. Spits don't have a player at that talent level to make players around him better. I didn't think Pavelka was bad but Anderson was better.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:57 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would agree for the most part,should have left the 1st with a 2 goal lead or more,banged one off the post as well,2nd period 3 straight penalties and the game winner on a penalty shot,bad call on Schoenmakers put Sarnia back in at 2-2,another penalty and then the penalty shot for Galchenyuk of all people,and its all downhill,agree about the 3rd bad pp,lathargic for both teams
It was not about a lack of talent and effort last nite but more of execution of the systems taught
In games like these the best players have to score and they did not
Tonite against a roster depleted Guelph,they are only dressing 10 forwards with Garlent,Waitling and Horvat injured,though Garlent is the only top 6 forward in that group,Windsor needs to jump all over them right from the start,like they did against Sarnia
Take advantage of their defence which is not their strong pt
I would put Devlin and Bateman back in,remove Bowen and McNaughton from the lineup for tonites game
Spits now 2-2 in last 4 ,having played the last 3 on the road

I think there needs to be a shake up. The systems aren't different from what they were last year. We can talk about Devlin and Bateman being scratched and maybe moved but that doesn't send the right message. First of all you wouldn't get as much back compared to what you traded them for. You need to deal a guy like Clarke or Johnson in my mind. That would send a message as those guys are being counted upon to be part of a contender but really haven't played that well.

The idea that this team has problems scoring goals isn't just an issue this year, it was an issue last year as well. Averaging 2.64 goals per game this year, last year they averaged 3.13. I guess you can chalk that up to Khokhlachev being gone but that's ignoring guys like Clarke, Johnson, Marchese, Maletta all should have made strides. Of course the lack of creativity on the blueline is another big issue. Right now I would start the rebuild we are almost at the quarter mark with a lot 18 year olds that should be further along where they should be. Time to shake it up.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
KnightsInsider93

I feel as though Clarke, Maletta, Marchese and all those 94's and 95's are integral to your success NEXT year, not this year. GM Rychel has made it clear that next year is going to be their year. I feel as though right now the squad lacks offensive leadership as far as points accumilated go.

Now time for the other side to the story:

As a Fan looking in on the Spitfires over the passed year or so, it looks like the Windsor Spitfires core group of 94's and 95's (Clarke, Johnson, Marchese, Vail and Rychel, Maletta, Studnika and Bateman) have never really lived up to their hype. It seems as if they lack chemistry or a type of situation where they dont all get along.

I think trading one of those 2 defensemen (Bateman or Devlin) should be #1 priority only if they can acquire another forward even if it means including one of those 94's (Not so much Vail or Rychel but Clarke, Johnson and Marchese) to upgrade to a guy like Josh Leivo from Sudbury who would also provide that offensive leadership.

My two cents on the situation in Windsor.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:59 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I feel as though Clarke, Maletta, Marchese and all those 94's and 95's are integral to your success NEXT year, not this year. GM Rychel has made it clear that next year is going to be their year. I feel as though right now the squad lacks offensive leadership as far as points accumilated go.

Now time for the other side to the story:

As a Fan looking in on the Spitfires over the passed year or so, it looks like the Windsor Spitfires core group of 94's and 95's (Clarke, Johnson, Marchese, Vail and Rychel, Maletta, Studnika and Bateman) have never really lived up to their hype. It seems as if they lack chemistry or a type of situation where they dont all get along.

I think trading one of those 2 defensemen (Bateman or Devlin) should be #1 priority only if they can acquire another forward even if it means including one of those 94's (Not so much Vail or Rychel but Clarke, Johnson and Marchese) to upgrade to a guy like Josh Leivo from Sudbury who would also provide that offensive leadership.

My two cents on the situation in Windsor.
I don't agree with a lot of this. Vail and Rychel have lived up to their hype, Rychel had 40+ goals this year and has 8 already this year. He may not hit 40 again because the team is struggling to score goals but it won't be his fault. Vail has really improved his game since his rookie year. Studnicka was a 5th round pick if you're expecting a lot from your 5th round pick you either drafted a talented kid that was going the NCAA route or you didn't draft well earlier and you're hoping you strike gold. Their goaltending isn't as good as it was with their better teams and it's not a difference maker most nights.

The struggles go back to their drafting starting back in 09. They moved Brassard to get a shot at another Memorial Cup and it paid off. Their other picks like Trojanovic, Duininck, Locke and Whaley are the only ones in the OHL and they aren't with Windsor. 2010 draft-Webermin, Clarke, Vail, Bowen, Bilcke then you have Feasey and Cortellessa. They made trades to acquire Ebert and Rychel but this draft alone isn't good enough if you want to be contending. Webermin never panned out, Bowen and Bilcke are limited in their talents and Feasey and Cortellessa are fodder, you were able to move Cortellessa to get Marchese but he hasn't been that great. In 2011 you have Maletta, DeKort, Smith and Studnicka in the OHL. Smith was a bust, DeKort right now is waiting his turn to play net and Maletta is still trying to find his game and I mentioned Studnicka above.

Poor drafting and some questionable deals Bateman, Devlin,Marchese, not getting any young prospects from teams when you dealt Kuhnhackl, Campbell isn't helping you can add the inducement sanctions as not helping the team moving forward as an issue as well.

I think you take your medicine and rebuild right now obviously you wouldn't deal a guy like Rychel, Vail or Ho-Sang right now but if you push for a championship next year and these sanctions you're leaving yourself with another rebuilding effort following next year. You still have your 1st rounder in 2014 and a load of 2nd rounders. Move some players this year to get your 2013 draft picks in order build from the ground up like they did in 06-07.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:07 AM
4 Bobby ORR

Don't know what's going on in the dressing room but with what we paid for Bateman he should be on the ice instead of the stands. I think he is being mismanaged as they are tearing down his confidence instead of building it up. Still think he could be an integral part for next year but needs ice time.

I mentioned before that I was not in favour of going for it 2 years ago but many posters disagreed. Now we are seeing these lean years by not getting a younger skilled player for Kassian or Ellis when we had a chance. London is a prime example where they were always a good competitive but could never repeat that glory year. Finally they decide to rebuild and look where they are now. Last year they made it to the big show and on paper could very well be there again this. I know many posters want a competitive every year but I still think the best way is to work the junior hockey cycle. Rebuild every 4 to 5 years. To me it just makes sense to work the cycle to your advantage.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:36 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Bobby ORR View Post
Don't know what's going on in the dressing room but with what we paid for Bateman he should be on the ice instead of the stands. I think he is being mismanaged as they are tearing down his confidence instead of building it up. Still think he could be an integral part for next year but needs ice time.

I mentioned before that I was not in favour of going for it 2 years ago but many posters disagreed. Now we are seeing these lean years by not getting a younger skilled player for Kassian or Ellis when we had a chance. London is a prime example where they were always a good competitive but could never repeat that glory year. Finally they decide to rebuild and look where they are now. Last year they made it to the big show and on paper could very well be there again this. I know many posters want a competitive every year but I still think the best way is to work the junior hockey cycle. Rebuild every 4 to 5 years. To me it just makes sense to work the cycle to your advantage.
I disagreed because by all accounts they weren't getting what they deemed fair value for either of the two. What hurt Windsor was Kassian all but checking out for long stretches of that season. If Windsor wasn't getting good offers who's to say they would have players currently helping this team?

Personally looking at the product right now it isn't very interesting there isn't much that can get the people going. I would take the product in the early 00's with the likes of Ott, Spezza, Wellwood(when they got him), Leighton, Kennedy, Hildenbrand, Mather, Hennigar, Gleason, Bowman, Helbling, James, Dickson over the group they have now. Those teams had better talent on the blueline, better goaltending and a more exciting group of forwards.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
NHL Fanatic

Don't quote me on this but Bateman probably has a no trade clause. After being continuously scratched, its clear the Spits don't see him in their future direction. Bateman has more market value than Devlin, and yet he's still on the team which entails he probably controls his future destination. It's unfortunate because I think he has a good potential but you have to play him.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
south of the border

line changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Don't quote me on this but Bateman probably has a no trade clause. After being continuously scratched, its clear the Spits don't see him in their future direction. Bateman has more market value than Devlin, and yet he's still on the team which entails he probably controls his future destination. It's unfortunate because I think he has a good potential but you have to play him.
Agreed, not enough [or any] firepower in many games. Why not try Rychel, Vail,Hosang together then the next three; Schoenmaker, Clarke, Marchese, then a third line of Johnson, Maletta and the best RW that night and roll three lines of forwards unless just killng time or providing recovery shifts by playing a 4th line.
Then we need some offensive play out of blue-liners - probably need to get Bateman back into that mix and pair a rushing defensemen [Eebert, Bateman, Posa[ with a defensive defensemen [Sanvido, Seiloff, ?] and shift the focus of the team from defensive dump and chase hockey to a more open pressing game. In the short run we may allow more goals and lose a few but isn't that what is going on now without the benefit of offensive growth/improvemnt of players? Too many coaches on team with strong defensive backgrounds has lead to this style and the only offense being created is by the guys who learned those skills before they got to Windsor.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Who was the most talented player on the ice last night? There's no doubt it was Galchenyuk. Spits don't have a player at that talent level to make players around him better. I didn't think Pavelka was bad but Anderson was better.
Pavelka was outstanding. Without him the sting would've been up 7-2 after the second. Both tenders were good

I still can't believe how easily Rychel disappears in critical moments. I think the Spits should play Verbeek more often to amp things up. Really like him. Ben Johnson was non-existant again. Brady Vail was the best player for Windsor. Love that kid.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:12 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend heard that Ho-Sang is a healthy scratch tonight. Sounds like the ship is taking on water.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:27 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Pavelka was outstanding. Without him the sting would've been up 7-2 after the second. Both tenders were good

I still can't believe how easily Rychel disappears in critical moments. I think the Spits should play Verbeek more often to amp things up. Really like him. Ben Johnson was non-existant again. Brady Vail was the best player for Windsor. Love that kid.
From a Sting fan,I would say Pavelka played good last night.His only down fault is he gives up big rebounds all game long.Yes Rychel did disappear when he was needed the most.Johnson also didnt impress me either.Windsor fans on here are upset about the PP against Sarnia but Sarnia has one of the best Penality kills in the league.All teams have a better chance on scoring against Sarnia when they are 5 on 5 then on a power play against them.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:50 PM
highstickside

"Windsor fans on here are upset about the PP against Sarnia but Sarnia has one of the best Penality kills in the league.All teams have a better chance on scoring against Sarnia when they are 5 on 5 then on a power play against them".

Massey, based on the stats, what you say seems true even though it defies common sense. I have not been able to watch any Sting games for a couple of weeks, so I can't really comment on why that might be the case. What do you think the reasons are that they seem better short-handed than even strength?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
KnightsInsider93

I think the Spits only have to make one move right now to change things around.

Suggestion:
94 F (Clarke, Marchese, Johnson)
+
Either Devlin or Bateman

In return they should look at a Offensive minded Fwd. (Leivo)

Old
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think the Spits only have to make one move right now to change things around.

Suggestion:
94 F (Clarke, Marchese, Johnson)
+
Either Devlin or Bateman

In return they should look at a Offensive minded Fwd. (Leivo)
While I dont doubt a deal likely to be done I would not trade for a 93 born forward such as Leivo who would be one and done as I expect the Leafs to sign him and turn him pro next year
The 1 deal I see happening is Brandon Devlin to Erie for LW-Michigan native Nick Betz

Old
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
While I dont doubt a deal likely to be done I would not trade for a 93 born forward such as Leivo who would be one and done as I expect the Leafs to sign him and turn him pro next year
The 1 deal I see happening is Brandon Devlin to Erie for LW-Michigan native Nick Betz
I guess Betz was sent home with the flu and that was why he was scratched on Wednesday. Whether that is true or not I don't know yet but I find it hard to believe Erie would trade him away at this point in the year.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Legend heard that Ho-Sang is a healthy scratch tonight. Sounds like the ship is taking on water.
Rayzor

I saw the rumour as well not confirmed yet as far as I know
Boughner in the past has benched people ie last yr Maletta and Bateman,stars like Mitchell and Cundari,
Would not make much of it yet
stress yet

Old
10-26-2012, 02:04 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickside View Post
"Windsor fans on here are upset about the PP against Sarnia but Sarnia has one of the best Penality kills in the league.All teams have a better chance on scoring against Sarnia when they are 5 on 5 then on a power play against them".

Massey, based on the stats, what you say seems true even though it defies common sense. I have not been able to watch any Sting games for a couple of weeks, so I can't really comment on why that might be the case. What do you think the reasons are that they seem better short-handed than even strength?
Well i think is discipline,dedication,speed and the system.The system is to play the box keeping it tight and the puck to the outside.No one is going to score many goals on JP from outside.Dedication;They also block a pile of shots.They also either lay down their sticks or block the passes going to in front of the net.Discipline; Both PK units play the same way and almost never gets out of position no matter what the opposition tries to do.No running around.Lots of speed also with these 2 lines and D. Sarault and Boucher usually 1st line with Murphy and Chapman or Deangelo on D with Gali and either Hottot(when not suspended) Nikadronv or Latta on the 2nd with Kuzmyk and Duinik on 2nd.They also get quite a few scoring chances with the these players also because of their speed.When they are 5 on 5,they are getting better but seems to struggle with all the above.

Closed Thread