HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
while everyone here is happy, I am not

the Islanders have 3 years left on their lease

There was no reason to get this done now

the Isles could have spent the next 2 years trying to find another buyer, or looking at other plans to keep them on the Island

Wang knew the Isles will be much more marketable with a move to Brooklyn, and now I bet he decides to get this headache off his back

I was always a supporter of Wang, as I know the Islanders situation before Wang and Kumar took over the team was bad, but if Wang made this move now just to make this team more marketable when he sells it, I will be pissed
The only thing Nassau was going to accomplish was more nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
This is a fantastic read in a best case scenario for the Islanders

http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/new...ll-mean-853323

This article put me in a great mood
Great read.

10-25-2012, 11:09 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
This is a fantastic read in a best case scenario for the Islanders

http://www.ibtimes.com/sportsnet/new...ll-mean-853323

This article put me in a great mood
That article is like Rick Jeanerette writing a piece on the future of the Sabres. It is 100% rah rah with only a sliver of meat. And I almost gagged when I read this:

Quote:
Ryan Strome has been compared to John Tavares, which will sure make a lethal 1-2 punch at center.
Someone found the dentist's sweet air I see.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:11 PM
lost35*

and this arena is going to be a horrible place to watch a hockey game

it was built for basketball

it will have about 14,500 seats for hockey, and probably about 2,000 of those will be be obstructed

but I guess these are things they really did not have in mind, after all I am sure enough rich people will spend the money for the "good" seats

and the poor fans who have to sit in the upper levels and the other obstructed seats will just have to deal

Old
10-25-2012, 11:19 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
The bottom 5-8 rows of those sections are retractable, but really, there is nothing they can do with those sections, since the top 15 rows are concrete. Only the sections on the other end are fully retractable.
if its 8 rows, then row 5 would be the first row that is all concrete.

if the rink could be somehow reconfigured like this, you can get a lot more seats in. using the virtual seating charts, those yellow lines represent where you wouldn't be able to see past row 9 in the upper end seating. there are 13 rows in the ends. so realistically in those 4 rows, you're looking at 1000-1500 limited view seats.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

the Isles could have spent the next 2 years trying to find another buyer, or looking at other plans to keep them on the IslandWang knew the Isles will be much more marketable with a move to Brooklyn, and now I bet he decides to get this headache off his back

I was always a supporter of Wang, as I know the Islanders situation before Wang and Kumar took over the team was bad, but if Wang made this move now just to make this team more marketable when he sells it, I will be pissed

deˇniˇal [ di n əl ] n.

1.disavowal: a statement saying that something is not true or not correct

2.refusal to acknowledge existence of something: a refusal to believe in something or admit that something exists

And if Brooklyn said no in 2 years? Or had the dates already filled annually? Where would NYI be? LI was NOT an option as nothing gets done there. It's OK to keep things and prospective players in limbo not knowing where they'd play? If Wang sells to Ratner/Prokhorov in 2015 are NYI "tenants"?

Old
10-26-2012, 04:37 AM
SthlmNYI

What was the Barclay Center designed for accommodating? Basket and concerts?

I can't imagine it being that much of a problem for Ratner and Wang to make slight changes and adapt the arena more to hockey. Especially since we won't play a game there until 2015 - there's a lot of time.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Knish Of The Crease

Somewhat related news. The KHL has cancelled it's 2 games at the Barclays in January.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Chardo

Can't quote from previous thread, but:
Who was the last significant unrestricted free agent to sign with us?

Not "guys who turned out to be steals" but guys who were top six forwards/top four defensemen/starting goalies when they signed with us.

MAYBE we resigned someone from the early 90s and I'm forgetting it, but can you name a UFA signing for Islanders in the last 20 years that was "big" ? I think our biggest might be Miroslav Satan.

Mark Streit would be the closest. He turned out to be a steal, in that he was not previously an all star, but he was a top 4 dman.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
There was still plenty of talk about other options about building a new arena, and other people who were interested in buying the team and keeping them on the Island
Based on the quotes coming from Nassau pols over the last two days alone, I'm not sure these clowns even know how to tie their sneakers, let alone accommodate new "options" at the Hub. Nassau taxpayers -- and I'm one of them -- should be terrified right now with these people in charge.

Wang having a chance to leave but sticking around longer than necessary would be like having a speedboat waiting for you on the shores of Alcatraz but waiting around for a yacht.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:24 AM
_illicit_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthlmNYI View Post

I can't imagine it being that much of a problem for Ratner and Wang to make slight changes and adapt the arena more to hockey. Especially since we won't play a game there until 2015 - there's a lot of time.
They've already stated there will be some renovation to accommodate more seating and make the arena more hockey friendly, including locker rooms. With a 25 year commitment and a 3 year lead time, nothing will be an issue.

Anyone complaining about the Isles moving into a $1 billion state of the art arena just has some personal issues with it....to be expected.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
wingnutks

The view from nearly any seat at the NVMC was awesome. These pics on Barclays make the seats look very far from the rink(laterally), meh.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

This

everyone needs to relax and be happy that John Tavares and the boys are not going to Quebec Kansas City or Seattle..

Old
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by _illicit_ View Post
They've already stated there will be some renovation to accommodate more seating and make the arena more hockey friendly, including locker rooms. With a 25 year commitment and a 3 year lead time, nothing will be an issue.

Anyone complaining about the Isles moving into a $1 billion state of the art arena just has some personal issues with it....to be expected.

After trying to build a new arena for years, both with public and PRIVATE money, and being denied each time, it was blatantly obvious to most that the TOH (government and residents alike) do not care about the Islanders. Its a sad but true fact. Wang did something good for us fans. Gives us stablitiy and peace of mind knowing that they'll at least stay in the area for the forseeable furture. How is that not better than more years of uncertainty or annoucing a move the QC, KC, or whereever-the-****?

Im sure there would've been better offers from out of state, no doubt including a whole sale of the franchise, but this deal solidifies the Islanders staying in the area for a while. Funny how some people still act like Wang took a **** in their cornflakes.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This

everyone needs to relax and be happy that John Tavares and the boys are not going to Quebec Kansas City or Seattle..
thats the bottom line. we still have our team people! and its still the Islanders.

i dont know about the rest of you but if they moved out of state i was done with the NHL and Hockey. I cant just become a devils fan after following this team for the last 30+ years (becoming a Rag isnt even an option)

Old
10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
periferal

Quote:

Agreed in theory.

Now answer this...Who would pay for such a renovation?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:22 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post

Wang having a chance to leave but sticking around longer than necessary would be like having a speedboat waiting for you on the shores of Alcatraz but waiting around for a yacht.

Someone who gets it.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Based on the quotes coming from Nassau pols over the last two days alone, I'm not sure these clowns even know how to tie their sneakers, let alone accommodate new "options" at the Hub. Nassau taxpayers -- and I'm one of them -- should be terrified right now with these people in charge.

Or taking a pass on a Titanic lifeboat because it's crowded and the seats look uncomfortable.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:38 AM
scott99

Read an article by Larry Brooks, and even HE was positive about this move. When was the last time Larry Brooks EVER had something POSITIVE to say about the Islanders ?

Old
10-26-2012, 12:12 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Read an article by Larry Brooks, and even HE was positive about this move. When was the last time Larry Brooks EVER had something POSITIVE to say about the Islanders ?
Haha, you're soooo right on that. I read his article too and I couldn't believe it was him who wrote it. He usually gets off on bashing us.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:38 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Haha, you're soooo right on that. I read his article too and I couldn't believe it was him who wrote it. He usually gets off on bashing us.
I thought I was in Bizarro World with Bizarro Larry (a little Seinfield reference).

Old
10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Hell has frozen over.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Agreed in theory.

Now answer this...Who would pay for such a renovation?
A renovation costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:07 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
if its 8 rows, then row 5 would be the first row that is all concrete.

if the rink could be somehow reconfigured like this, you can get a lot more seats in. using the virtual seating charts, those yellow lines represent where you wouldn't be able to see past row 9 in the upper end seating. there are 13 rows in the ends. so realistically in those 4 rows, you're looking at 1000-1500 limited view seats.
From what I understand, they mentioned they were "somehow" going to fix the obstructed views. (they didn't mentioned how) but that they have 3 years to do it. Along with additional seats and standing room. I figure by the time the Isles get there it will be around 15,500. I also sat in section 206 for Jay Z and there was no obstruction. Steep yes.

They are going to start making the locker rooms for hockey as well.

People upset about the move, there are many teams that had new buildings built that were not on the same spot. 20 miles away is not far. MSG hasn't always been where it was, Toronto and MTL the same.

I am excited by Barclays, the arena is great.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Steve55

Quote:

the Isles could have spent the next 2 years trying to find another buyer, or looking at other plans to keep them on the Island

Wang knew the Isles will be much more marketable with a move to Brooklyn, and now I bet he decides to get this headache off his back

There was EVERY reason get the Brooklyn agreement done now since Wang would have been subject to another political football in Nassau.

Also, as the Isles owner he has EVERY right to sell the team when its value is at its greatest.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:17 PM
potvins4cups

There is an article in the ny times that says the islanders with this move to brooklyn based on calculations are going to make approximately an additional $35 million dollars more annually in revenue than they are making now with the coliseum. and that is on the "low" end of the spectrum. so all these arguments in the past with some individuals on here who said the islanders cannot and will not make money moving into the barclays center makes me chuckle.

Closed Thread