HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official "Ottawa RedBlacks" Thread Part I: "Embarrassing Logo" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 09:25 AM
enviro61

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
The Senators have had no problem growing the game and attracting casual fans and families despite their historic, non-fun name. And they have to do 41 times a year, in the winter, with a drive all the way across town. Who exactly got fired over the name of our NHL team?
well Senators isn't a bad name if you look beyond the recent political connotations. Everyone associates the name with Roman Empire as per the logo and that is pretty cool. It's also a name that has been around for hockey in Ottawa for 100 years and they resurrected it for good reason. Had the name not been around before, I'm sure there would have been a ton of opposition to it if it were introduced in modern times and displayed a picture of Parliament as the logo or somesuchthing.

As for the Raptors, I personally do not like it and was throwing it out there as an end of the 'silly name' spectrum example. I feel at the other end of the spectrum are boring (not saying Highlanders is at the opposite end of the spectrum but it leans that way imo) names that try too hard to bind themselves to history and significance without consideration to 'catchy and cool' which while might be considered 'low-brow' is a reality that can not be ignored.

To each their own, the masses will speak and the business men will decide.

As mentioned I applaud your effort and the traction you have gained to date. I'm a fan of the game and will cheer regardless of its name so it's a moot point to me personally. However, I have twins that I someday hope to bring to the game and the cooler **** looks the more pappa will have to spend on them.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Please don't involve them. The last thing we need is their you're-a-worse-fan-because-you-don't-cheer-as-loudly-as-we-do mentality permeating another sport.
Amen. Not to mention this past year, their "section" was among the quieter ones in the 300s.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
The Senators have had no problem growing the game and attracting casual fans and families despite their historic, non-fun name. And they have to do 41 times a year, in the winter, with a drive all the way across town. Who exactly got fired over the name of our NHL team?
Its hockey...in Canada. Slightly different. They could name them the Ottawa Fansofthis teamsmelllikepooandaredumb and people would still cheer for them.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Didn't see this thread before and haven't heard of the Highlanders idea.

When i read it a few mins. ago, it immediately sounded right AND awesome. That hasn't happened with any other name idea i've heard or come up with. And then the history. Perfect.

I would love to see it end up official. So i just wanted to say, Great Job Jerk Store!

"In the end, there can be only one."

Last edited by Icelevel: 10-25-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Highlanders can work as a team name.

Anyone who has seen the movie "Goon" understands.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

TV interview on CBC News Ottawa this evening then live tomorrow am at 7:45 on CBC Radio

Old
10-25-2012, 04:10 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

And for the first game, we bring out this guy...

I'm pretty sure Christopher Lambert would work for free beer and peanuts.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
CapitalCityGoofball

They spoke about this on CBC Ottawa Radio this morning...they stated many people are not entirely thrilled with any name linked to the military.

Now, of course, you guys are going jump all over this as it's "CBC" and "whiny liberals" but I think it's worth noting.

Someone suggested Voyageurs and I kinda liked that. Although there was a team called the Voyageurs already right?

Old
10-26-2012, 10:00 AM
BeerBaron

Send a message via MSN to BeerBaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityGoofball View Post
They spoke about this on CBC Ottawa Radio this morning...they stated many people are not entirely thrilled with any name linked to the military.

Now, of course, you guys are going jump all over this as it's "CBC" and "whiny liberals" but I think it's worth noting.

Someone suggested Voyageurs and I kinda liked that. Although there was a team called the Voyageurs already right?
Looks like it made it to their website

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-proposed.html

Old
10-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

There's bound to be critics, especially once it becomes a hot topic. You guys surely remember all the "Ottawa Zeros" talk once things picked up for the Heritage jersey. Ended a huge hit in Ottawa and beyond.

Blue Bombers, Alouettes, Fighting Irish, there are other military references, it's never been a problem. It's a nice tie-in with Ottawa and Lansdowne

Old
10-26-2012, 10:19 AM
bytownbrass
Rookie User

Ottawa Highlanders name

I put to you that Ottawa's other infantry regiment, Governor General's Foot Guards, has a greater claim to connections to Lansdowne Park and the Ottawa Football Club than the Camerons. The GGFG was also stationed at Lansdowne Park, but during both WW1 and WW2. The GGFG Band performed concerts in the park since it's formation before 1900 and during the CCEA years. The GGFG Band was also the band of the Roughriders for many years following WW2 until about 1980 and performed at all home games as well as some away games. The band performed for the opening ceremonies of the Grey Cup in Ottawa. The OFC's colour party was made up of serving and former members of the GGFG through the Roughriders and Renegades eras. A serving member of the GGFG played for the Ottawa Renegades for several years ( I forget his name.)
I suggest the name of the new club be the "Ottawa Sharpshooters", which was the name of a GGFG contingent that fought in the North West Rebellion. It's a more sports oriented name.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
enviro61

Quote:
"I think we've really got to find a name that connects with a younger audience as well, that's relevant to them. That's not to say a name that ties into Ottawa's history wouldn't … but I think there's many objectives," said Hunt.
What the fuk do I know. Lesss highbrow, more catchy and fun. Think like a businessman and you will begin to see the light.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
What the fuk do I know. Lesss highbrow, more catchy and fun. Think like a businessman and you will begin to see the light.
He was referencing the R.

Breathe.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. Also Highlanders is currently leading CBC's fan poll by a fair margin so stuff it

Old
10-26-2012, 10:48 AM
CapitalCityGoofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Also Highlanders is currently leading CBC's fan poll by a fair margin so stuff it
Could someone post / re-post the link, I'd like to vote.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
He was referencing the R.

Breathe.
He wants a name that connects with the younger audience. With Highlanders you are undeniably appealing to an older audience.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
He wants a name that connects with the younger audience. With Highlanders you are undeniably appealing to an older audience.
How so? Contemplating making a few New Era snap backs with the O/H logo. I emailed Norml earlier to see about placement and see what they say. That should give us a good idea

Just out of curiosity, do you have examples of witty, stimulating, younger crowd friendly names that you like?

Old
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityGoofball View Post
Could someone post / re-post the link, I'd like to vote.
It's on the Highlanders Facebook page.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
enviro61

Quote:
How so? Contemplating making a few New Era snap backs with the O/H logo. I emailed Norml earlier to see about placement and see what they say. That should give us a good idea

Just out of curiosity, do you have examples of witty, stimulating, younger crowd friendly names that you like?

Well as someone who has spent a lot of time in Ottawa and served in the military my understanding of Highland'ers' was the Highland games which I remember attending as a child. The meaning to me personally has scottish origins and involves men throwing logs and hammers. I enjoyed it as a kid.

As for names that I think would be fun, probably a good idea to run a few concepts by a bunch of grade 6-10 classes and see what they like best. I imagine they really want to reach out to families and parents of kids. Military history is not something of interest to most people until they are in their last couple of years of highschool (based on my own experience).

The mind of a child is different from ours so what I think is cool, they may not. That is why I would run a few by them. You take criticism well enough and I think the idea of creating some other logos with the HO theme might be a good idea. Weird though how I associated highland with the highland games, I wonder if others who grew up here did as well?

I can try and think of some 'fun' names but unless I was prepared to actually do some work on it why bother. I'll remain the critic for now. By the way, I loved the work you did on the Sens jersey.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Oh man, some of those article comments...

Old
10-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

I think it's great, I love that it is connected to Ottawas history. Very fitting and patriotic.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

I like the Capital City Oysters for a name, keeps the O tradition. Or the Capitals. Capital City Capitals works for me too, with the snappy CCC logo

Old
10-26-2012, 05:36 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:

What about the Ottawa Biebers?

The above post is sarcasm in case you didn't notice.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
I'll go even further: I'd like to hear an example of witty, stimulating, younger crowd friendly names currently being used by a sports franchise that are not completely kitsch. I'll sorry, but if this is going to be a professional franchise, it should have a professional name. Even the "Senators" isn't witty, stimulating, or younger crowd friendly, yet it's perfect and we all love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
Oh man, some of those article comments...
Yeah. Bunch of morons, really. I love how even a simple comment like "visit the Facebook page to see the other logo" is intemperately and unabashedly down-voted. What a bunch of stuck-ups. Jerk, don't let people's reactions get to you. They're idiots, and besides, you can never please everyone. It's great work.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I'll go even further: I'd like to hear an example of witty, stimulating, younger crowd friendly names currently being used by a sports franchise that are not completely kitsch. I'll sorry, but if this is going to be a professional franchise, it should have a professional name. Even the "Senators" isn't witty, stimulating, or younger crowd friendly, yet it's perfect and we all love it.

Yeah. Bunch of morons, really. I love how even a simple comment like "visit the Facebook page to see the other logo" is intemperately and unabashedly down-voted. What a bunch of stuck-ups. Jerk, don't let people's reactions get to you. They're idiots, and besides, you can never please everyone. It's great work.
Hehe working in design, you learn not to take criticism personally Also, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and re: article comments, people who don't like stuff are more prone to leaving negative feedback than those who like it. That's just a fact, so I'm not worried at all. That poll looks pretty good though

Also, might be making a limited edition run of New Era snapbacks to create more buzz. Norml has agreed to have them in store so I'll keep you all posted

Closed Thread