Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
HBOs road to the winter classic is going to be incredibly boring this year...
never watched it
no skin off my back

Old
10-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
HBOs road to the winter classic is going to be incredibly boring this year...
Very short road...

Old
10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
buggs
get off my lawn

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
It's kinda funny, but this whole lockout is playing out like a big hockey game, Owners vs PA. The Owners are the fan favourites but there is plenty of passion on both sides--as evidenced by over a thousand posts per day on the "Business of Hockey" threads on the main board...so it is pretty obvious what some hockey fans are doing with their freed-up time.
I do confess to not missing NHL hockey much either. I know it's coming back sooner or later and, in the meantime: we are incubating some great prospects; Scheifele is blossoming in Barrie, where he belongs; Burmi's time in the AHL is a gift that only a lockout could have given; Kane is getting a well-desrved lesson in humility; Bogo's wrist is healing; and with each passing week TNSE's share of the ultimate deal will be bigger.

What, me worry?
I like the potential benefits to the Jets with respect to player development/maturity and will be even happier if it ends up a 'win' for the owners. With due respect to the players, I don't believe the long term future of a hockey franchise in Winnipeg can survive ever escalating salaries, so some sort of 'back-to-earth' alignment of salaries is good for our situation.

But I am sad and frustrated. Last year by this time I'd been to the first preseason game and the home opener. Though our group foolishly held our games draft early, I still haven't missed a game had the season gone forward - that happens this Saturday night when I would have seen the Wings

I also have more than enough to do hauling the kid around to keep busy, so hockey games were really nothing more than finding a little me time with a buddy for some beers, hockey and food. I guess Saturday night I save $200: $100 on the ticket and $100 on the beer/food combo. I do worry a little about the downtown businesses but know for the most part they'll survive. But man, they've gotta be missing that additional hockey income something fierce.

I'd really like to understand what the players think they are going to ultimately get out of this? I truthfully don't understand what leverage they think they have.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
It's kinda funny, but this whole lockout is playing out like a big hockey game, Owners vs PA. The Owners are the fan favourites but there is plenty of passion on both sides--as evidenced by over a thousand posts per day on the "Business of Hockey" threads on the main board...so it is pretty obvious what some hockey fans are doing with their freed-up time.
I do confess to not missing NHL hockey much either. I know it's coming back sooner or later and, in the meantime: we are incubating some great prospects; Scheifele is blossoming in Barrie, where he belongs; Burmi's time in the AHL is a gift that only a lockout could have given; Kane is getting a well-desrved lesson in humility; Bogo's wrist is healing; and with each passing week TNSE's share of the ultimate deal will be bigger.

What, me worry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Agreed. This lockout is probably the best thing that could happen to the Jets organization for the immediate future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Sucks for the "me-now" but is awesome for the "me-longterm"...
I still would like my cake and to eat it too though haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Nice post. I agree there is a likely benifit for the Jets. However, I do miss hockey...quite a lot really

I am also getting tired of primarily reading and posting on the Business of Hockey board rather than talking about the Jets.

Excellent post scelaton!! There is real value for the list of prospects you mentioned and that is a list of the who's who of our young core, nice the opportunity is not getting wasted.

Newt you are right.........TNSE long term will benefit from a better financial deal for the owners and that benefits me as a long term emotional and financial investor in the brand.

King I miss it too and I think I might have to take the weekend away from the business of hockey thread since the debate is getting somewhat circular without new material.

On a side note back in the spring summer when we were all speculating about how much of the season we might miss and some of our more realistic posters were speculating Christmas, at that time I didn't think that would be so bad and I definatley thought that time would blow by but I must admit the for some reason time seems to be standing still (or maybe that's just me).

From a business perspective I still find the process (pi55ing contest) fascinating but any time they want to wrap it up they have my blessing.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
I'd really like to understand what the players think they are going to ultimately get out of this? I truthfully don't understand what leverage they think they have.
no doubt... how they can be convinced by Fehr that somehow it makes sense to lose a ton of salary AND end up ultimately accepting what will be a worse deal for them the longer this drags on... makes no sense...
... all this crap about how they have to do it to protect future generations of NHL'ers...gimme a break.... like they care about anybody but themselves

Old
10-26-2012, 10:36 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
no doubt... how they can be convinced by Fehr that somehow it makes sense to lose a ton of salary AND end up ultimately accepting what will be a worse deal for them the longer this drags on... makes no sense...
... all this crap about how they have to do it to protect future generations of NHL'ers...gimme a break.... like they care about anybody but themselves
There's a real good article in today's Winnipeg Sun by Simmons about what the players are fighting for. I found it elucidating, and I would love more NHL players to read it.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
TrentSteele

Great column by Steve Simmons today about how since the last lockout, mediocre players on the Leafs have seen their salaries increase by huge amounts, some 300-500%.

Last edited by TrentSteele: 10-26-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Beat me to it!
Old
10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
I like the potential benefits to the Jets with respect to player development/maturity and will be even happier if it ends up a 'win' for the owners. With due respect to the players, I don't believe the long term future of a hockey franchise in Winnipeg can survive ever escalating salaries, so some sort of 'back-to-earth' alignment of salaries is good for our situation. But I am sad and frustrated. Last year by this time I'd been to the first preseason game and the home opener. Though our group foolishly held our games draft early, I still haven't missed a game had the season gone forward - that happens this Saturday night when I would have seen the Wings

I also have more than enough to do hauling the kid around to keep busy, so hockey games were really nothing more than finding a little me time with a buddy for some beers, hockey and food. I guess Saturday night I save $200: $100 on the ticket and $100 on the beer/food combo. I do worry a little about the downtown businesses but know for the most part they'll survive. But man, they've gotta be missing that additional hockey income something fierce.

really good post buggs looks like you beat me to the punch on the long term value point for the Jets IF the owners win.

Great point about some time for you with your buddies. Sounds like you have a young family too and I have a really young family and happily dedicate 99% of my spare time in the winter to my kids. I am at the age where I don't play rec team sports anymore and most of my friends are tied up with family stuff as well. My wife and I have friends and we do get together with people and have fun but just flat out me time or buddy time is really scarce (by choice). The Jets games force the opportunity for me to get time with buddies and just enjoy a hockey game and a beer.

Yes downtown businesses within a few blocks of the MTS centre are getting clobbered

Old
10-26-2012, 11:11 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
There's a real good article in today's Winnipeg Sun by Simmons about what the players are fighting for. I found it elucidating, and I would love more NHL players to read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentSteele View Post
Great column by Steve Simmons today about how since the last lockout, mediocre players on the Leafs have seen their salaries increase by huge amounts, some 300-500%.
Yea this should be mandatory reading for the players.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/25...nse-in-the-nhl

Old
10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

just read that article, wow! so much for the theory that they'll never make back the money they're losing

seriously begs the question, what are they holding out for...take a vote and let the games begin already... I'm sick of all the back and forth, and really sick of not having the Jets to watch...
but, alas, I'll be surprised if these buffoons (both sides) ever get this hammered out

Old
10-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
I like the potential benefits to the Jets with respect to player development/maturity and will be even happier if it ends up a 'win' for the owners. With due respect to the players, I don't believe the long term future of a hockey franchise in Winnipeg can survive ever escalating salaries, so some sort of 'back-to-earth' alignment of salaries is good for our situation.

But I am sad and frustrated. Last year by this time I'd been to the first preseason game and the home opener. Though our group foolishly held our games draft early, I still haven't missed a game had the season gone forward - that happens this Saturday night when I would have seen the Wings

I don't like this attitude. I do not see fans of SJS, COL, DAL, EDM, OTT, etc and other similiar revenue teams talking like this. We are a solid middle of the pack revenue team, unless the NHL is going to run 20 teams out of the league, Winnipeg is fine. This is not 1996, we need to get rid of this type of, poor us/us as the little guy on the block, attitude.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I don't like this attitude. I do not see fans of SJS, COL, DAL, EDM, OTT, etc and other similiar revenue teams talking like this. We are a solid middle of the pack revenue team, unless the NHL is going to run 20 teams out of the league, Winnipeg is fine. This is not 1996, we need to get rid of this type of, poor us/us as the little guy on the block, attitude.
I'm pretty sure the Coyotes would love to have support in Pheonix equal to what the Jets had up till they left in '96. The notion that Winnipeg lost the Jets becuase there wasn't enough fan support is just wrong. Even at its worst in the last couple of years in that crumbling old arena the Jets were still getting about 11,000 per game - and most of those were paid tix, as opposed to the freebies and giveaways used to fill seats in weak markets down south.

That article about the leafs and palyer salaries is exactly what I meant earlier in this thread when I said "when it comes to CBAs the owners always win, and the players never lose." Just sign a deal players and you'll be making money hand over fist again within a couple years. You can always rely on the owners lack of self-control...

Old
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I both agree and disagree.
Are we at risk 1 year into existence of losing are team? No.
But perhaps this is a sign that we have learned from what happened in the past. Fans are hyper vigilant about not losing a team, ever. No longer will we allow ourselves to be put in a position when losing a team is a possibility. Everyone is looking down the road at sustainability, and it makes me more confident that this team will be here forever.

I certainly agree the optics are poor though. I'm just glad people now acknowledge that the NHL isn't a god given right, but a responsibility and a privilege.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Very short road...
More like a driveway.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
In my mind though, being in the middle of the pack financially, isn't all that rosy. I mean we're talking about a league where the combined net income of the Toronto and Montreal franchises = $127 million dollars. The combined net income from rest of the league is near zero (or -$7 million if my memory is right).

I've moved down over 2500 spots on the STH waiting list. I'm actually a little more discouraged by that than encouraged, in a weird way. Because it may mean interest is not holding up to the cost.

I can't say I'd see ticket prices getting any cheaper with an 'owner win'. But with a 'player win' they sure as heck are going to get more expensive.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
In my mind though, being in the middle of the pack financially, isn't all that rosy. I mean we're talking about a league where the combined net income of the Toronto and Montreal franchises = $127 million dollars. The combined net income from rest of the league is near zero (or -$7 million if my memory is right).

I've moved down over 2500 spots on the STH waiting list. I'm actually a little more discouraged by that than encouraged, in a weird way. Because it may mean interest is not holding up to the cost.

I can't say I'd see ticket prices getting any cheaper with an 'owner win'. But with a 'player win' they sure as heck are going to get more expensive.
Yet this is a different issue. Winnipeg is a 10-20 revenue team. Why are we considering ourselves to be such a small dog, a team when that cannot afford salaries when there are at least 10-15 teams in much worse shape than we are. Yes the league needs changes, as you say, the system is flawed right now, but it's not like Winnipeg is the team in danger here. Teams like Anaheim, Columbus, Phoenix are the team's that should be saying things like we cannot afford the salaries, not us. We just want a deal done.

Also, not sure where you're getting the numbers but if it's Forbes, the only published numbers that I know of, keep in the mind they are estimates at best. And to be fair, from those estimates, the bottom 5 also lose a combined -64, also skewing the numbers.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

...well, I guess we can hope for December 1 %@$#*!

Old
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
buggs
get off my lawn

vCash: 1000
Quote:
It's not really my attitude, though I understand that attitude remains pervasive in Winnipeg as a whole. I very much respect your opinion and knew that my statement would likely generate some disdain from certain individuals here, many of whom I consider far more intelligent hockey wise than I am. At the same time though, while acknowledging we are currently a solid 10-20 team, we are also top five in ticket prices. We were informed well ahead of time of what TNSE's market approach was to make the team work here so we knew ticket prices would be high.

When the drive to 13,000 started I was dubious and didn't think it would achieve that goal. Clearly I was very wrong and Winnipeg resoundingly responded to show that we'd support the team, myself included. At the same time as Wings indicates, movement on our waiting list has been fairly rapid. 2500 spots in a year? That's awfully quick and not something you see in Green Bay for the Pack. So while I think our stability for the short term is great, what happens when the bloom is off the rose? I think the answer is that we're fine going forward so long as costs don't spiral out of control. We have a small market with a small arena size, so we can't expect an increase in attendance only the status quo.

If the league costs continue to go up dramatically, as I believe would happen if the NHLPA were to 'win' the battle then I think ultimately the costs for TNSE will go up as well. To increase their revenue stream, they realistically only have one way to go: up with their only consistent source of income: ticket prices. Yes, for the duration of our ticket agreement we are locked in at 3% but what happens when that contract expires and if TNSE is facing substantially increased costs? I'm guessing the 3% is out the window or if not, is provisional only in a new agreement while the ticket price from one agreement to the next sees a 10% increase between the season ticket holder signing on again. Nothing in my contract specifies any price stability between year 4 (P3 level) and year 5 when I have to renew. That's where costs will increase at any substantial level, if necessary.

Will that stifle demand? I sure hope not but I'm not so sold on the notion that it can't possibly happen. While I accept and appreciate your interpretation of the 'poor us' approach, that's not really my intent. I don't have an inferiority complex for the city or franchise, I'm simply being pragmatic about potential realities down the road. I don't believe this version of the Jets is going anywhere any time in the near or relatively distant future. I understand very well the issues facing the last incarnation of the Jets and how they are not present with this incarnation and a fabulous, new ownership group that clearly loves the game, has the finances to support the team in hard times and has presented us with a wonderful opportunity.

That said, I still think some further stabilization of costs for this organization, and many others, would help solidify and already good situation. That's all.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
Quote:
It's not really my attitude, though I understand that attitude remains pervasive in Winnipeg as a whole. I very much respect your opinion and knew that my statement would likely generate some disdain from certain individuals here, many of whom I consider far more intelligent hockey wise than I am. At the same time though, while acknowledging we are currently a solid 10-20 team, we are also top five in ticket prices. We were informed well ahead of time of what TNSE's market approach was to make the team work here so we knew ticket prices would be high.

When the drive to 13,000 started I was dubious and didn't think it would achieve that goal. Clearly I was very wrong and Winnipeg resoundingly responded to show that we'd support the team, myself included. At the same time as Wings indicates, movement on our waiting list has been fairly rapid. 2500 spots in a year? That's awfully quick and not something you see in Green Bay for the Pack. So while I think our stability for the short term is great, what happens when the bloom is off the rose? I think the answer is that we're fine going forward so long as costs don't spiral out of control. We have a small market with a small arena size, so we can't expect an increase in attendance only the status quo.

If the league costs continue to go up dramatically, as I believe would happen if the NHLPA were to 'win' the battle then I think ultimately the costs for TNSE will go up as well. To increase their revenue stream, they realistically only have one way to go: up with their only consistent source of income: ticket prices. Yes, for the duration of our ticket agreement we are locked in at 3% but what happens when that contract expires and if TNSE is facing substantially increased costs? I'm guessing the 3% is out the window or if not, is provisional only in a new agreement while the ticket price from one agreement to the next sees a 10% increase between the season ticket holder signing on again. Nothing in my contract specifies any price stability between year 4 (P3 level) and year 5 when I have to renew. That's where costs will increase at any substantial level, if necessary.

Will that stifle demand? I sure hope not but I'm not so sold on the notion that it can't possibly happen. While I accept and appreciate your interpretation of the 'poor us' approach, that's not really my intent. I don't have an inferiority complex for the city or franchise, I'm simply being pragmatic about potential realities down the road. I don't believe this version of the Jets is going anywhere any time in the near or relatively distant future. I understand very well the issues facing the last incarnation of the Jets and how they are not present with this incarnation and a fabulous, new ownership group that clearly loves the game, has the finances to support the team in hard times and has presented us with a wonderful opportunity.

That said, I still think some further stabilization of costs for this organization, and many others, would help solidify and already good situation. That's all.
TNSE doesn't just get revenue from tickets. They own the dang building and get revenue from not just HRR. MTS Centre is still one of the busiest buildings in North America. And I'm sure the Jets made a **** load of money from their Jets store this year. I personally spent a grand in that store over the past year. Jets get all the profits from that store. None of it goes back to the NHL.

And people that think the only reason why the Jets left in 96 was because of the lack of fans has lost it. The Manitoba economy was a sack of manure in the 90s and the loonie was at a historic low. The fact that players were being paid in American that was booming at the time didn't help. There was no making money for any Canadian teams during that time. The Canucks were in danger of moving as were Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton. The only two that weren't were Toronto and Montreal because the NHL would never let those two teams move.

Manitobans may have given up their waiting list probably because they realized that they couldn't afford giving a team $100 a year and may never get seats. I was one of those people. I'm trying to save up to purchase a home and that $100 a year is a huge difference in trying to save. Plus I have student loans and credit card debt from when I wasn't working while I was in school. And I still have two years left. You can't compare us to some little hick town in Wisconsin who has a team in the NFL. Green Bay probably makes all their money off of their TV deal. And Winnipeg doesn't have 5 decades of history behind their team.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:00 PM
JetsHomer

It also doesn't cost money to be on the green bay waiting list.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Before I got Flames season tickets I was on their "Hot House" list.

Do not be discouraged it is not all due to people losing interest.

People with season tickets and people on the wait list lose jobs, have a change of lifestyle, move, divorce or simply pass away.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
TNSE doesn't just get revenue from tickets. They own the dang building and get revenue from not just HRR. MTS Centre is still one of the busiest buildings in North America. And I'm sure the Jets made a **** load of money from their Jets store this year. I personally spent a grand in that store over the past year. Jets get all the profits from that store. None of it goes back to the NHL.
Strictly speaking, that is not true. In order to sell anything with an NHL logo on it, Jets store must pay a licensing fee to the NHL, same as River City, etc. Now of course, Jets receive 1/30th of the money back, since that's what they receive from the league for the merchandising rights. The difference is that the Jets get to keep the mark up of the store, so the mark up (store profits) is all theirs. So, they do have to share the merchandising part of the money from Jets Gear, same as selling at River City or anywhere else.

I am not concerned AT ALL about the wait list moving so far. Things happen, and I would wager alot of that movement is actually people dropping off the wait list rather than dropping tickets. But I also knew that this year there would be huge amount of movement, last year everything happened so fast that you had chaos for creating groups and everything, I figured many groups would fall apart and give their tickets up. I expect way way less movement in future years, at very least until the agreement's start to expire.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:53 PM
scelaton

Quote:

I'm with you, Buggs. I'm a proud Winnipegger, but the city and arena are both relatively small compared to others in the NHL and we cannot compete with the New Yorks and TOs, head to head, without substantial revenue sharing from broadcast contracts. I don't believe we will lose our team any time soon, but a sane CBA and salary cap that doesn't spiral out of control are absolute necessities. I am sure TNSE management would agree.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:28 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentSteele View Post
The tide is turning in favour of the owners, I for one backed the players at first but now think they are to blame for the lockout. They had a year before the lockout to try to reach an agreement with the NHL, 50/50 owners/players in revenue sharing seems pretty good, the players will never get back what they have already lost, the fans seem to have been lost in all of this and from the vibe I get from the players they really don't care, players salaries have jumped in leaps and bounds even compared to every other league.....

Old
10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 123
Top 10 things I hate about this lockout and the POTENTIAL of losing a season (I'm still somewhat optimistic):
  1. Fehr and Bettman
  2. Not seeing Jokinen on the ice - I was looking forward to the Photoshop fun this would entail. Oh, and he's a pretty darned good centre that would give the Jets much needed size down the middle
  3. The Leafs 2nd line re-union - potentially Poni, Antro, and Welly together again. Saw them play a few games in person in Toronto, and I think they'd make a great 3rd line
  4. Not being able to watch the prospects play their hearts out during a training camp
  5. Not being able to watch a healthy Enstrom, Buff and Bogo play, with further Huddy mentoring
  6. Not being able to cheer about making the playoffs! This felt like the year.
  7. Not watching Wheeler and Kane take the next step.
  8. Not putting together Game Day threads - I'm suffering from withdrawal.
  9. Not seeing Pavs turn it around and be the $5M - 12% player he can be.
  10. Not being able to enjoy the escapism: this lockout legal wrangling is truly a downer. After 15 years of missing my home team, and having half-heartedly cheered for the Leafs while I've been in Toronto, it was genuinely great to have a few hours a week where the days bull could be set aside for a while to watch the Jets.

Please, PLEASE figure out an agreement!

What does everyone else miss / hate about the lockout?

Closed Thread