HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

How long will the lockout last? And on and on we go!

View Poll Results: How long will the lockout last?
1-2 weeks (no games lost) 24 4.46%
1-2 months (10-12 games lost) 95 17.66%
2-3 months (25-30 games) 130 24.16%
4-6 months (half the season) 64 11.90%
Fugettabouit! 225 41.82%
Voters: 538. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I hope we lose the season.

I hope there's a new leauge created in next few months, enough of this .

Players if you read this , enough of you take the bull by the horns, pack up and make a new leauge.

8 team Canadian based leauge . DO IT .

You guys are the only reason money comes in , your NAMES!!! and faces!....use them in a new leauge.

The Canadian public will support it .

3 strikes YOUR OUT.....leave now .

Take back hockey for the fans who had your back all these years ! it has been hijacked.

$418 dollar a game for one ticket , and autographed pucks that cost $189.00 each...and we get this?
I support this as well.

Once players do this they will realize how important financial backing is to the whole process.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Defender1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Hockey won't be dead- perhaps the NHL will be.
And that's exactly why Bettman needs his a$# fired. But you see, living in Vegas and rooting for the Red Wings means I might be able to watch 20 games a year on TV anyway.

And since we have have no pro-anything in this city, I'll just go to the Las Vegas Wrangers games (farm league) and pay 1/10th the price for decent seats and enjoy myself there.

So, in the long term, **** off NHL, I don't really need you anyway!

Peace, Defender

Defender1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Flames Jihadist
#GOFLAMESGO

Continue..

Flames Jihadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
flames12

2-3 months once the players notice the stop in cash flow they will cave.

flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
2-3 months once the players notice the stop in cash flow they will cave.
I doubt it many people go on strike for 6 months or more. And they're just average or even below average income earners. NHL players will have plenty of cash to get by. Afterall 10 grand a month buys alot of food and gas.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 06:05 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I doubt it many people go on strike for 6 months or more. And they're just average or even below average income earners. NHL players will have plenty of cash to get by. Afterall 10 grand a month buys alot of food and gas.
The real question is whether Fehr even wants to reach an agreement or is just looking for a pretext to prolong the stoppage, blame the league and go after the cap.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Sutter16

2-4 months or i could be suprised and have hockey around US Thanksgiving which has been when i thought the season would start.Now i'm leaning towards the Winter Classic.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter16 View Post
2-4 months or i could be suprised and have hockey around US Thanksgiving which has been when i thought the season would start.Now i'm leaning towards the Winter Classic.
If there is hockey this year, I think it won't be later than the U S Thanksgiving. I can't see the players just starting the season that close to Christmas. Jan 1st is way to far out because then players are looking at playing for 3 months and then playing the playoffs for free which could be almost another 3 months for some. I can't see them wanting to do that.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Defender1970

Well, the worst thing in my opinion that the NHL just did was to advertise their new agreement. The way I see it is not only is the NHL trying to cut the profit sharing down (I think it's 57% now for the players and they want to go down to 50%) but they are also trying to chop the hell out of the salary cap (from $60M - $50M).

My question is, are they freakin insane?!?!? Or is Bettman just stupid?

Defender1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 12:36 PM
mranderson

It'll soon be scorched earth approach for both sides.

Fuggedaboudit.

mranderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Flames Jihadist
#GOFLAMESGO

I hate to keep bumping this thread, but it's becoming increasingly obvious the lockout isn't going to end anytime soon.

It's become personal now.

Quote:
NHL to pull latest offer off the table

The National Hockey League will withdraw its latest CBA proposal to the NHL Players' Association once Thursday's deadline to finalize a new deal passes.

"When we delivered the proposal last Tuesday, we told them it would be on the table through today," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun on ESPN.com Thursday afternoon. "Having not reached agreement through today, I expect that we'll formally notify the union Friday that the proposal is no longer on the table. We're going to take it back internally and figure out where we go from here."

"This is a standard approach, I think it was done in the NBA in the same way," Fehr told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun on ESPN.com. "Review the history here: they make a proposal, it's essentially a take it or leave it, we respond on the core economics, they take 10 minutes and say no. They tell all the players if we're agreeable to everything except the Make Whole (provision) including all the stuff that's in there, I can give Gary a telephone call. And then we have made several efforts, including yesterday, to say we're prepared to sit down and negotiate with no pre-conditions. They essentially said No. It takes two to negotiate. They seem to be really good at imposing deadlines and issuing ultimatums and having lockouts. It seems to be something they're well-practised at."

While Daly did not offer specifics, the NHL is expected to cancel games for the rest of November on Friday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408130
Quote:
Flames' Cammalleri feels players are getting shakedown

"What can I tell you, guys unanimously feel the same way about it and the feeling guys are saying is they've offered us nothing," said the Flames winger, following an hour-long workout with a group of peers at a midtown Toronto rink. "It just really feels like a shakedown for the players. That's kind of the feeling across the board."

"From day one in the negotiation, it's been us trying to concede to get a deal done," Cammalleri continued. "That's all we've done is make concessions. Nothing's been offered that benefits the players in any way whatsoever.

"I think owners want us to be fearful of missing another year," he noted. "Like I said, for us it seems like that's what it's all about, negotiating tactics and a shakedown.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=408143
Get ready for a long, drawn out battle.

Flames Jihadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:13 AM
sunnyvale420
Doug The Thug Glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
If there is hockey this year, I think it won't be later than the U S Thanksgiving. I can't see the players just starting the season that close to Christmas. Jan 1st is way to far out because then players are looking at playing for 3 months and then playing the playoffs for free which could be almost another 3 months for some. I can't see them wanting to do that.
Players get paid during post season? Jay Bouwmeester disagrees

sunnyvale420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Players get paid during post season? Jay Bouwmeester disagrees
Players don't receive salary during the playoffs, but playoff revenue is included in HRR - so the players ultimately get 57% 50% whatever % of that revenue after escrow is calculated.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote