HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 07:25 AM
charlie

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=InglewoodJack;55272027]I don't blame players for wanting to stay home. Why move to a foreign land if the benefits aren't there?

As for the lockout, I haven't been following. "It's assumed there's gonna be no season, right?"[/QUOTE]

quoted for the truth

Old
10-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
...because nobody will pay $200 a night to watch that mall cop do his job. Simple supply and demand economics.
I never disputed that. I took issue with your statement that someone who makes 20-50K per year is not as good at his/her job as an NHL player is at his job. Making less money at a job that is not part of the entertainment industry does not mean you work less hard than the person getting millions in the entertainment industry. THAT was the point I took issue with. It is a point that is lost on a few others around here, too...

Old
10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Drydenwasthebest

[QUOTE=charlie;55294139]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I don't blame players for wanting to stay home. Why move to a foreign land if the benefits aren't there?

As for the lockout, I haven't been following. "It's assumed there's gonna be no season, right?"[/QUOTE]

quoted for the truth
Sigh...it IS starting to look more and more like that. Well, if there is no season and still no agreement by next June, bring on the replacement players!!

Old
10-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
People I talk to daily are really losing hope... the damage could be severe to the league.

This picture pretty much illustrates this sad spectacle.

I honestly can't believe that they are willing to get nothing instead of a huge amount of money just to prove a petty point. Sad times for sports. Makes you wonder why these guys play the game of hockey. Makes me wonder why I am a fan. As much as hockey is a huge part of my life, I'm feeling a little disillusioned, to say the least. I'm at the point where I don't even care what they are arguing about.

The fact that both sides can't come to some sort of agreement with this much money involved is a complete joke is what it is.

I've been watching the Habs religiously since before there were ads on the boards and for the first time in my life I'm not sure if I could cheer on a millionaire hockey player anymore. There's just too much disconnect with the real world.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
PyrettaBlaze

I think the best thing we and the media could do is basically just stop paying attention to them. Stop showing them that we care.... Make them feel alone.

10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I think the best thing we and the media could do is basically just stop paying attention to them. Stop showing them that we care.... Make them feel alone.
lol media uses this lockout to get closer to the players and have easy access to interviews. Other than the big figures like Freidman, Mackenzie, Lavoie, Dreger...etc, they all take the players side because when the conflict is over, it will help their jobs. No way they stop it IMO. And anyway, it's not the reporters that decide which stories they cover.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Andy

Donald Fehr will singly handedly take down this league. He was bad bad news the day he was hired.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Andy

Food for tought from Michael Russo

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/175971521.html

Quote:
The biggest question: What's the end-game here? Owners aren't allowed to speak, so I can't ask em. As for the players, there's not one player that has been able to answer this question for me. But it's a question they better start asking their union boss. They're fighting over a reduction of $1.6 billion over six years. Well, these players are going to lose more than that by not playing THIS YEAR alone, and as was proven during the last lockout, players always make out better in the long run. There's a reason many players have seen their salaries skyrocket, have seen the average NHL salary rise by a $1 million in the last eight years.
So does any of this make any sense?
Where does this end?
If Donald Fehr is not willing to go immediately to a 50-50 split in a $3.3 billion business, he's not going to do so when revenues take a gigantic hit. And considering both the union and the league are basing proposals on revenue growth, those proposals are both going to have to come off the table as revenues plummet.
We're officially at the ugly stage with no end in sight. If Fehr goes after the cap, which does appear to be his intention, we're all going to be in for a long, painful hiatus.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:10 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't care anymore.. I'm only on these boards to track the progress of the young players who are trying to achieve the dream of the highest level of hockey, not the disillusioned few who have achieved that dream and forgot what it was like to enjoy the sport.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:14 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

I'm starting to wonder when the players are going to be holding votes on the league's offers. I find it a bit weird that #1 the league gives permission to owners/managers to talk to their players for answering questions (effectively going over the head of the PA) and #2 the PA isn't holding any votes whatsoever or any of the offers. Or maybe they did, when the league was full of ego and submitted that first troll offer. I can't remember.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I never disputed that. I took issue with your statement that someone who makes 20-50K per year is not as good at his/her job as an NHL player is at his job. Making less money at a job that is not part of the entertainment industry does not mean you work less hard than the person getting millions in the entertainment industry. THAT was the point I took issue with. It is a point that is lost on a few others around here, too...
There's still a major difference though. There are hundred thousands of people in this world that can make a 25k$ per year job, while NHL hockey players.. or any other major sports players are the best in the world.

I know you think you work as hard as a teacher than Sidney Crosby but really.. its not even comparable.. Unless you're the best of the best teacher in this world and has a nobel prize.. than ok, it could be fair comparaison.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Analyzer

Hey, Yourbuddy. I guess at 2, if there is an announcement of the cancelation of all games in November you an your "source(s)" are wrong, no ?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I'm starting to wonder when the players are going to be holding votes on the league's offers. I find it a bit weird that #1 the league gives permission to owners/managers to talk to their players for answering questions (effectively going over the head of the PA) and #2 the PA isn't holding any votes whatsoever or any of the offers. Or maybe they did, when the league was full of ego and submitted that first troll offer. I can't remember.
Not gonna happen anyway because the league is supposedly retracting their last offer. As much as I support the owners, retracting this offer is laughable at the moment because you can be sure if the players agree to the offer in 3 weeks, the owners call it a deal for sure.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:46 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Not gonna happen anyway because the league is supposedly retracting their last offer. As much as I support the owners, retracting this offer is laughable at the moment because you can be sure if the players agree to the offer in 3 weeks, the owners call it a deal for sure.
I don't know if I'm going to believe this. Recall Bettman saying that some owners felt the last offer went too far and most observers saying they expect any further offers coming from the league to be less attractive.

The PA has been serving a full paranoia buffet and calling bluffs on every single dates and decision the league has taken. I wonder when they start waking up, who's going to call this a nightmare...

Old
10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
There's still a major difference though. There are hundred thousands of people in this world that can make a 25k$ per year job, while NHL hockey players.. or any other major sports players are the best in the world.

I know you think you work as hard as a teacher than Sidney Crosby but really.. its not even comparable.. Unless you're the best of the best teacher in this world and has a nobel prize.. than ok, it could be fair comparaison.
Wow, what a bunch of complete nonsense.

Are you going to sit here and argue that pro hockey players contribute more to society than teachers? Or even that being a hockey player is harder? Playing hockey is harder than teaching children and young adults?

Old
10-26-2012, 12:10 PM
RC51

I know a way to get this thing going very very soon.
fans should organize a small protest in each NHL city. invite the new people. let the fans stand in front of the area and start burning team jerseys. Can you imagine NATIONAL COVERAGE of scenes of wild fans screaming " death to the NHL" while burning jerseys.
No if that does not makes things move.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Forsead

I've heard on the radio that according to the deal with NBC, each team will receive 6 millions dollars even if the season is cancelled. There is some cost like installations and salaries to peoples working in their front office so it's not profit, but that means a bigger number than expected of the owners will loose less money than if the season was played, even more than we thought.

The players will loose and by much. They need to negotiate on the last deal and take it.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:18 PM
poetryinmotion

Well, this is a lockout thread,m sorry to derail the convo but I don't want to make one specifically for this...

What's Pricey up to? Haven't heard any news from in a while, is he keeping himself in game shape?

Old
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Well, this is a lockout thread,m sorry to derail the convo but I don't want to make one specifically for this...

What's Pricey up to? Haven't heard any news from in a while, is he keeping himself in game shape?
Isn't he playing with the other bums around the province of Quebec ?

Old
10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Isn't he playing with the other bums around the province of Quebec ?
Crap, he could be.. I haven't been paying any attention to that. Thanks for the answer.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I know a way to get this thing going very very soon.
fans should organize a small protest in each NHL city. invite the new people. let the fans stand in front of the area and start burning team jerseys. Can you imagine NATIONAL COVERAGE of scenes of wild fans screaming " death to the NHL" while burning jerseys.
No if that does not makes things move.
This Sunday, in front of the Bell Centre, at noon!

Old
10-26-2012, 12:31 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
This Sunday, in front of the Bell Centre, at noon!
Brb manifestation declared illegal by 12:05

Old
10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Andy

Seriously a protest? Oh lord. If you are going to take time to protest, please do it about something more universal and a protest which benefits everyone. Nothing screams "first world problems" more than protesting because you are not getting your entertainment right now.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Seriously a protest? Oh lord. If you are going to take time to protest, please do it about something more universal and a protest which benefits everyone. Nothing screams "first world problems" more than protesting because you are not getting your entertainment right now.
As Friedrich Nietzsche says.. ''Le souci d'autrui correspond à une autodévalorisation et de fuite hors de soi-même.''

We want our hockey!

Old
10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
This form of social entitlement who has driven EU's economy to the ground is clearly gaining traction here in NA. "Businesses have the moral obligations to guarantee my contract in its entirety even though it's struggling to stay afloat (half of the league). I hate Trump but I'd repeat his one liner "you are fired"!

Why won't the government pass some law prohibiting the layoffs next? The next thing you know the unemployment will hit 20% because of business' fear of getting stuck with bad employees forever! See Spain!
Oh ya the players are driving the league into the ground, not the 5 or 6 teams started in cities that don't give two ***** about hockey. Got any more nonsense to make up?

Closed Thread